Vic

Labyrinth

Labyrinth one of my favorite movies ever. Although when I showed it to my stepbrothers, they just thought it was weird. Which is true, but they didn't get the awesomeness factor.

I have the manga too. I like it, but not as much as the movie.

When I was seventeen, one of my friends discovered that my brother and I hadn't seen it yet, so she sat us down and put it on. We really liked it, but I can't see anything to do with the movie without saying "DAVID BOWIE'S PACKAGE!" My brother called the Bog of Eternal Stench the "Swamp of the Quivering Sphincters." xd.png He's two years older than me.

Another friend of mine had watched it when he was a kid and he said the fieries (SP?) gave him nightmares. ^.^;

I think the fireys freaked a lot of us out when we were younger. Didn't stop me wanting to watch it repeatedly for some reason (We had a VHS tape. Now I'm showing my age...), but they *were* freaky.

I have always loved this movie, ever since I was little. It's one of those movies that always hold a special place in your heart.

On the other hand, I've never really understood why people seem to like Jareth so much. Yeah, I get that he was a big music star back then and that a lot of people find him good looking, but I've never seemed to like him. He always struck me as a horrible man (the character, not the actor; I don't want to offend any Bowie fans that might read this.)

That aside, I adore the movie to this day, and I even got the DVD. In fact, I even wrote two sequels for it over on FF.net. (Sadly, they haven't gotten many reviews, but the people who have given feedback seem to like them.)

If you're interested, the links are listed below.

Beyond the Thirteeth Hour

The Power of Innocence

I see they are working on a Labyrinth dragon in dragon requests.

Hands up everyone who will be making movie references when naming theirs.

*holds hand up*

*holds hand up*

*puts hand up*

Oh C'mon, my dragons are all named to reference the breed (or lineage) anyway - so *obviously* a Labyrinth dragon is going to have a Labyrinth name biggrin.gif

*holds hand up*

What dragon is this? I can never find the requests thread.

What dragon is this? I can never find the requests thread.

I can't find it D=

I know I saw it. I know I did.

I'm not crazy...

If it was a completed one then TJ removes them from the lists before he releases them wink.gif That or, I think, some artists pulled some of their unreleased work a while back.

Epic film. I loved it when I was younger and, y'know, I still love it today smile.gif

+1

I had a huge crush on the girl too.

I have always loved this movie, ever since I was little. It's one of those movies that always hold a special place in your heart.

On the other hand, I've never really understood why people seem to like Jareth so much. Yeah, I get that he was a big music star back then and that a lot of people find him good looking, but I've never seemed to like him. He always struck me as a horrible man (the character, not the actor; I don't want to offend any Bowie fans that might read this.)

Everyone loves a good bad guy.

If it was a completed one then TJ removes them from the lists before he releases them wink.gif That or, I think, some artists pulled some of their unreleased work a while back.

I admit I didn't read through much of the thread, but when I last saw it I think it was only partly done.

I could be wrong though. rolleyes.gif

Everyone loves a good bad guy.

There's an oxymoron for you.

Yeah, I could never understand why I keep seeing "Sarah was stupid to refuse him" comments in some places. I'm hearing how evil Jareth is and all these crazy fangirls are swooning and proclaiming their love for him. Can you say "Shallow"?

As much as I love Jareth myself, I doubt I would have taken him up on his offer either. The guy was just too controlling. Although I have no doubt he truely loved Sarah, he would have treated her more like a pet than a person.

Edit: Also, something I have never seen clarified...

Jareth was threatening to turn Toby into a goblin, does that mean all of the other goblins in the underground are former children?

Edited by Fortune86

I don't think he was in love with her. He probably loved her beauty if anything. But he could be just playing her so he can get her brother then he'd either dump her or turn her into a goblin too.

I'm not sure. I don't think ALL of them are. But there are many legends and wives' tales about goblins or fairies abducting children so it's probably implied that at least some of the goblins in Labyrinth are stolen children.

The Goblins Will Get Ya!

Goblins

Changlings

Edited by Vic

In the end scene where he is asking her to stay with him you can sense the desperation in his voice. It's not about keeping the kid, he wants her.

He has already admitted that everything he had done was for her and when she turns him down he looks so sad.

I was going to provide a youtube clip, but since you haven't seen the movie yet I decided against it. I don't won't to totally ruin the end for you.

~~~

Even if only some of the goblins were former children, that's still pretty horrible.

Who's to say he wasn't faking it? Y'see, bad guys lie. A lot.

Heh. It's ok. I'm fine with spoilers.

And yeah, the traditional stories about the fairy kingdom does kind of portray them in an ill light. If they're not evil they're just being mischievous and even their pranks can be mean-spirited or downright dangerous.

At the beginning of the movie there is a scene where Sarah reads from the Labyrinth book, where her adventures are based. The 'story' is about a young girl whose baby brother is taken away by the Goblin King because he fell in love with her and gave her certain powers.

Seriously, you have to watch the movie. My argument would make a lot more sense then happy.gif

Also, the songs are great.

So she's just reenacting the book? Does it all turn out to be a dream in the end then? And doesn't the book say you should never converse with him?

I think it's kind of complicated.

Although the plot of the movie follows the book Sarah is reading at the beginning and there are strong hints that suggest the Labyrinth was formed from Sarah's imagination, I think there are some 'real' aspects.

I think Jareth is some kind of Fae who used Sarah's imagination to build the Labyrinth. Her dreams give him power. If he all he wanted was power, then he could have simply have remained in the Labyrinth and let Sarah's imagination fuel his world.

However, at her request he brought her into his world. Even when she had reached Toby he still had the option of sending her home and letting her carry on with her dreams. Instead, he gave her the option of staying with him, even at the risk of her banishing him from her thoughts, which she proceeded to do.

But doesn't she talk to her posse in the mirror? Was Jareth messing with her again or were they real? The creation of the manga implies that it all was real because Jareth is now targeting Toby. From what I've heard he visits Sarah again but she doesn't recognize him.

This is probably one of those "fill in the ginormous plot holes yourself" movies. Either that or Henson enjoyed screwing with people's minds.

Edited by Vic

I like to think the Labyrinth started off existing only in her mind, but Jareth breathed life into it. Once Jareth was defeated the Labyrinth still existed, so Sarah could freely call her friends whenever she liked (hence the party in her room at the end of the movie).

I don't know about the manga as I haven't read it yet, but it is on my to do list. It is possible my views will change once I have done so.

This is one of the best movies ever as is evey movie by Jim Henson. Songs rock and there couldn't be a bette Goblen King than David Bowe. I'ts a must see. Oh to all the fans did you know there was a diffrent ending. Sara was suppoed to kick and punch Jareth and he turns into a goblin. Personaly I like the one they went with.

This is one of the best movies ever as is evey movie by Jim Henson. Songs rock and there couldn't be a bette Goblen King than David Bowe. I'ts a must see. Oh to all the fans did you know there was a diffrent ending. Sara was suppoed to kick and punch Jareth and he turns into a goblin. Personaly I like the one they went with.

Yeah, that ending does seem a bit off.

The final manga issue comes out in June or August. It was supposed to be a trilogy but they lengthened it to 4.

Found this. Made me laugh.

user posted image

Edited by Vic