starial

Scroll pause action

Should we have a pause scroll action??  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't know if any one else has had this idea but wouldn't it be nice if we could pause our entire scroll so if we have to be away from computers our eggs and hatchings wouldn't die.

What I'm thinking of is an action that will give your entire scroll a freeze and fog status.

This action will keep eggs , hatchings,and dragons from being seen or ageing.

I thought this might come in handy if you have a family emergency, have to go camping,are taking a vacation,overloaded with school work ,have to go on a business conference ,or something else.

This action would be totally revisable and allow you to pick up right where you left off.

I'm thinking it should be put down as a scroll action and activated like the freeze and release option.

Please tell me what you think biggrin.gif

Edited by starial

I think it would need a minimum freeze time, or else it would be abused. Like, three days. If you pause, it must stay paused for three days.

when it comes to vacation theres a action for that its called don't pick up/breed any eggs ahead of time

You're the only one who can create a poll. To do so, at the intro post there should be writing at the top that says something like "Add a Poll" in black script.

Edit: It says "Attach New Poll"

Edited by Daydreamer09

when it comes to vacation theres a action for that its called don't pick up/breed any eggs ahead of time

This.

It's called, "planning ahead".

Not sure why pausing would be needed anyway. I put mine on nursery sites and then do little but wait. The only thing pause might be good for is if a hatchling gets sick, but I've never seen that happen, I don't use so many nurseries that's a problem.

I'm relatively new though, maybe I'm missing something?

Well, I've actually been fretting a little. I go on vacation for a bit over a week starting February 16th - this so happens to be right after Valentines Day, what with all the chaos that ensues. And I want 2 valentine 09s, as well as 2 10s if they come - I can't just wait until after vacation, because they won't be there. And while I know there are hatcheries, if my dragons get sick when I'm away, I won't be able to fog them, and they'll die. During holidays, hatcheries get loaded with visitors clamoring to put their eggs in, so the sickness chance is really higher than ever. And I'm not letting anyone else on my scroll.

Because this could be so easily abused, I propose this;

3-day minimum is good. Instead of a set time period, though, I think the scroll should be unlocked when you next go on after the 3-day period is up.

During a scroll pause, time literally stops. Your waits for breeding and BSAs are frozen as well as the time on your eggs and hatchlings, which might further discourage casual use. Your hatchlings and eggs also don't gain any views while your scroll is frozen.

Edited by Dianacat777

Well maybe not for a vacation I was thinking more of a spontaneous event that would keep you from your computer .Maybe your vacations aren't like mine, my parents can some times pop up with an idea like, "I heard there are a lot of trout in this lake lets go fishing " tongue.gif and we are gone for a week. and then there are also things like the case above.Ah who knows its just an Idea.

This is in response to Kira T

Edited by starial

Hmm I hadn't really thought about the breeding thing freezing

But then I haven't been able to use it yet ,mine are all hatchings or eggs

I don't see a need for this at all. I've gone away on vacation several times & left eggies & hatchies behind. I do have friends watching my scroll, but no one but me can access it, and nothing's every gotten sick or died.

I think this is a good idea, for situations where a person has very little advance notice. I have friends whose parents like to spontaneously appear in random parts of the world, and the don't have enough advance notice to clear their scrolls of hatchlings and eggs. It is important to watch over dragons and fog them if they get sick, so as long as there is a minimum time and everything freezes, I think it's a good idea.

But I think there should be a maximum time as well, maybe 8 weeks? That's how long it takes for names to disappear, and I think 8 weeks is long enough. Otherwise, a person would be able to hold on to names indefinitely.

i like the idea as long as everything (breeding, bsa, picking up eggs etc..) is stopped so nothings changed. i've lost eggs and hatchlings when unexpected things have happened and wanted something like this

No I don't think this is needed. Usually one has advance notice of vacation time or long periods of being away from the computer. If you are that much in need for an egg sitter, placing the egg or hatchling in one of the fan sites, even the more popular ones, can have the egg hatched/hatchie grown in the 3 days time.

If you are truly paranoid about them getting enough views, hire a sitter

I've seen that idea suggested in the BSA thread.

The idea to kinda put all eggs/hatchlings into suspended animation, so they don't gain views, don't loose time. You wouldn't be able to pick up any new eggs, and if you bred, it would be autoabandoned.

Well, I've actually been fretting a little. I go on vacation for a bit over a week starting February 16th - this so happens to be right after Valentines Day, what with all the chaos that ensues. And I want 2 valentine 09s, as well as 2 10s if they come - I can't just wait until after vacation, because they won't be there. And while I know there are hatcheries, if my dragons get sick when I'm away, I won't be able to fog them, and they'll die. During holidays, hatcheries get loaded with visitors clamoring to put their eggs in, so the sickness chance is really higher than ever. And I'm not letting anyone else on my scroll.

Because this could be so easily abused, I propose this;

3-day minimum is good. Instead of a set time period, though, I think the scroll should be unlocked when you next go on after the 3-day period is up.

During a scroll pause, time literally stops. Your waits for breeding and BSAs are frozen as well as the time on your eggs and hatchlings, which might further discourage casual use. Your hatchlings and eggs also don't gain any views while your scroll is frozen.

You brought up a good point, I may have clicked on the no need too soon. I'd rather have a 7 days minimum tho. Three days are very little in terms of dragcave, me thingks.

Pause buttons are a gamebreaking and therefore very bad idea. However, if it freezes absolutely everything including breeding and BSA timers, that may offset that.

However, I must point out that for those cases where your computer just dies, this option is completely useless. If you can get to a library to hit freeze, you can use that time to shove them onto some hatcheries instead and let them grow while you're away. I post my eggs on five different hatcheries and they never get sick unless I bred them (ie. they have the parent bonus) and put them up on the same day.

I guess it's still easier to click on account then hit freeze than to try and post them. Imagine the hatchery doesn't load fast enough which sometimes happens.

I'm up for it if indeed everything on the scroll comes to a screeching halt and if the minimum set amount of time is at least 7 days.

I think it's a good idea. For example, last year my uncle died. I had about an hour's notice before we were driving off to the other side of the state for his funeral. There was no internet access there and we weren't sure how long we would be staying. I abandoned the eggs I had rather than worry about them.

Luckily, I didn't have any eggs that I really needed/wanted then. But if I'd had a rare? I would have had a tough time getting hatcheries and scroll-sitters, what with everything going on.

I also agree with the minimum limit as a must-have for this to implemented. Too much potential to be misused without it.

I think it's a smart idea, but I think it should be limited to a certain amount of days that it can be paused (like a week at maximum)

I dont think its needed. As stated

It take maybe 5 mins to find an eggsitter and 5 mins to stick them in a fansite or two.

I kind of think this is a really good idea. Like... you dun feel like being on DC a while, but you also think you may come back someday. Have eggs/hatchlings that are active? Put the whole damn thing on pause, come back later, and pick up where you left off. I don't think it's fair to penalize people for having real lives.

I think it's a good idea as long as it pauses everything (views, timers to hatch/mature/breed, BSAs) and cannot be unpaused for three days.

I agree with everything Diana said.

It's easy for you all to say "hire a sitter" but remember, handing someone your password is risky. I can think of a few people I'd trust with my scroll, but not everyone feels that way and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Unforeseen circumstances do pop up, and those who don't want to give out their password (and really, we aren't technically supposed to do that) should have options.

I fully support all cooldowns being frozen as well, and I like a minimum time of 3 days. A maximum time of a month, perhaps? two months? So that someone can't freeze their scroll and just disappear, never losing their dragons' names.

Methinks this is a good idea. There are times things pop up unexpectedly, so it's not always easy to plan ahead of time. Not to mention school projects. I'm an art major, so I often end up having to work a least a few weeks straight sometimes, even if I organize my time wisely and plan ahead. Other things outside of what a person plans ahead for pop up. Stuffing eggs and hatchlings into a few fansites isn't fail safe, as they still can get sick due to too many clicks, or, albeit rarely, still get too little clicks. And, as airaani said, hiring a sitter could be risky due to giving your password out to someone. Also, one the reasons some people like DC is because it doesn't take a huge chunk of time out a busy schedule to play. Pausing one's scroll would add to that aspect. A minimum and maximum time needs to be included though, as well as BSA timers, breeding timers, etc. being paused along with the dragon's growth. Minimum time should be 3 days, maximum should be a month. smile.gif