Hiei101

Final Fantasy

X-2 at least had more than a handful of fun things in it. The same cannot be said of VIII.

But it had a great story smile.gif

: /

Hey, if she liked the story....

The one thing really throwing me off any of the game's non-battle features for good was the commspherd grid.

the comm-spheres... The FREAKING COMMSPHERES THAT NEVER END!!!

Never!!!

Seriously, NEVER!!! EVER!!!

You'd WANT to be done with them, don't you?

Well, though luck! Its over an hour, and we aren't finished yet!

My problem is that they aren't even attempting to be funny!

Seriously, just avoid seeing all of this, else your brain will die

If it wasn't already...

after noticing that, I just decided 100% wasn't worth it... Not even just letting the game's story roll out on its own without looking. In this case, I had to be looking to know when each communication was over, and some communications were just some kids playing hide and seek.

Thanks Square-Enix, we definetely need to see Johanna finding Thomas in a game of Hide and Seek so that Tidus and Yuna can reunite in a recycled scene. That's pretty justified if it's for true love.

Edited by Quintafeira12

I meant the story for FFVIII. FFX-2 was kinda shaky. Square should stay far, far away from sequels.

I meant the story for FFVIII. FFX-2 was kinda shaky. Square should stay far, far away from sequels.

oh sorry, my bad.

Can't speak up to VIII's storyline. VIII and IX are the two ones I haven't played. Oh, and XI, but that one's a different case.

Yeah, Square has been doing quite a weird job with sequels. I have yet to make a judgement of "The after years", because I can't find a way to play it yet though.

And square needs to stay away from Gamefaqs and /v/ too. There's been this talk about Final Fantasy VII-2 lately unsure.gif. Before we know it, we'll have Ghost Aeris as playable character in a fanservice filled game.

Before we know it, we'll have Ghost Aeris as playable character in a fanservice filled game.

I had both Aeris and Sephiroth as party members during my re-play through of FFVII. lol

Well, I thought VIII's story was utter crâp, but to each their own...

But god yes, the CommSpheres in X-2 were one of the worst things about the game. They screwed me out of some vital completion points several times. It starts off annoying and tedious (making absolutely sure to go to EVERY SINGLE AREA so that a CommSphere gets put down in the first place) and then having to watch them all so many damn times... jesus christ. Nice idea, horrible execution.

Honestly though I'd play a VII-2 that was in the same style as X-2, full of stupid minigames and a super-happy-fun-dressup job system as long as Cloud was able to switch into the dress again.

I wasn't impressed with VIII or X, honestly, and when I tried playing X-2, I got bored after less than an hour. VIII is probably my least favourite game, because I only liked one character in it, Kiros, and he's a relatively minor character. The love story annoyed me, too, because it felt so tacked on. While I'll admit X wasn't a particularly good game, it did at least manage to give me three characters I liked, thus enough for a party. Also, I must admit I have a soft spot for Seymour. He's half-tree. *giggles* I do so love my genetic WTFs.

I got Dissidia yesterday before work :3 I haven't played it yet, though; I had a headache after work. But I shall play it some either today before work or tomorrow.

I enjoy them, I've played them since I could read. Starting with IV then VI. My favorite would have to be a tie between 6, 4, and 5. 7 was fun but over rated, and now it seems anything with FFVII within its name will sell easily.

VIII is probably my least favourite game, because I only liked one character in it, Kiros, and he's a relatively minor character. The love story annoyed me, too, because it felt so tacked on.

The only characters I liked were Fuujin, Kiros, and to some extent Selphie. Edea was okay when she was evil, but yeah... it's hard to like a game when the main cast is completely uninteresting.

X-2 at least had more than a handful of fun things in it. The same cannot be said of VIII.

The same thing could easily be said. X-2 had a contrived storyline that made me despise all denizens of Spira until the final portions of the game, they took the characters of X and made them into pop stars with dresspheres, and let us not forget the minigames. Good God the minigames.

The positive side of X-2 was the battle system, and the still unforgettable soundtrack (barring the J-Pop, which was still catchy, sadly >__> ). I think X-2 probably served as a damn good marker for when Square began selling out. Now we've got good ol' pop stars like Gackt strolling about recent games, with no end on the horizon.

God help us.

...Seriously?

Seriously. VIII's dialog was well thought out, and characters had depth and originality, at least relative to one another. Plot developments made sense, and overall the progression of events was logical (minus one area near the end).

You put forth your grievances with the storyline of VIII, and I guarantee I'll match and best it with double the amount of contrived silliness in X-2.

The only characters I liked were Fuujin, Kiros, and to some extent Selphie. Edea was okay when she was evil, but yeah... it's hard to like a game when the main cast is completely uninteresting.

Selphie? Selphie?

She's like the Yuffie of Final Fantasy VIII. Liking her is probably banned by international law.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

The same thing could easily be said. X-2 had a contrived storyline that made me despise all denizens of Spira until the final portions of the game, they took the characters of X and made them into pop stars with dresspheres, and let us not forget the minigames. Good God the minigames.

The positive side of X-2 was the battle system, and the still unforgettable soundtrack (barring the J-Pop, which was still catchy, sadly >__> ). I think X-2 probably served as a damn good marker for when Square began selling out. Now we've got good ol' pop stars like Gackt strolling about recent games, with no end on the horizon.

God help us.

Seriously. VIII's dialog was well thought out, and characters had depth and originality, at least relative to one another. Plot developments made sense, and overall the progression of events was logical (minus one area near the end).

You put forth your grievances with the storyline of VIII, and I guarantee I'll match and best it with double the amount of contrived silliness in X-2.

I'll admit I'm heavily biased against VIII mostly for petty personal reasons. It took me over FOUR YEARS to beat the game once, I kept having to restart and then I'd lose interest and it got to the point where I just didn't care. The "surprise we're all from the same orphanage" part is where it turned from an okay-but-irritating game into LOL WUT for me. My memory of the latter half of the plot is too hazy to really attempt to defend my dislike of it, I just know that it left a bad taste in my mouth. On its own that wouldn't have killed the game for me if there had been something else there to reel me back in, such as a fun battle system or a likable cast... but no. If it hadn't been for Triple Triad I'm not sure I would've ever beaten it at all.

You won't hear me trying to defend X-2's story though, the entire game is 120% ridiculous from the opening scene to the end, but that's part of why I love it. I can sit and play it for hours because it's SO stupid and cheesy that it's amusing, it's like the whole game is a joke but I'm willing to play along with it. The obsessive-compulsive micromanagement of the dressphere system and the sidequests and the minigames help too, there was never a shortage of stuff to do. I wouldn't call it a good game, but it never fails to entertain me, and that's all I can really ask of a side game that's a shameless cash-in.

Selphie? Selphie?

She's like the Yuffie of Final Fantasy VIII. Liking her is probably banned by international law.

Ahaha, I actually like Yuffie too. A lot. AND I ALWAYS HAVE.

selphie and yuffie both have a reason to exist. I use them as monster bait, in battle they get attacked more then the strongest character, so they have a use.

Well, ive only played X and X-2

but I love them both! eventhough the ending to X made me sob. ):

Have played 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, X-2... X-2 killed the series for me, so I never managed 11 or 12. Have also played Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Before Crisis and Dirge of Cerberus.

Best: 8 (I like the characters... and the political drive of the world. It felt so much more fleshed out than OMGIMAMONSTERTHROWROCKSJENOVA!!!!!), 9 (just freakin' cool), and 6 (KEFKA!!!) T:A comes in closely behind just for the awesomeness of the story and how ubercool my ninja with his paladin abilities was. And BEFORE CRISIS. Because the Turks are the ONLY good thing to come from that overrated snore-fest that is FF7. And Reno is God. And Rod is hot.

Worst: DIRGE OF CERBERUS. BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH. FF X-2 (ridiculous. From top to bottom. It's like Barbie-World with Flans and Behemoths. Geh.) 1, because there's never been a time-warp driven plot more ridiculous than FF8's... that thing seriously made Ultimecia's plot make sense. But it was the first one, so I guess a girl can't knock it too hard...

And 7... was mediocre to me. I played it a few years after it came out, so the hype had already spread and I was expecting it to be much more spectacular than it was. All it had was a whiny main character whose angst was so contrived it was far beyond belief, a barely surprising 'epic' plot that drew more boredom from me than Tolkien's 'Silmarillion' ever could (that book put me to sleep more often than the Monroe Doctrine, for goodness sake) and a villain with fabulous girl hair who threw rocks.

Kuja could take Sephiroth, thongs down.

I've just completed FFII. Good game, but a bit of a let down with the end scene.

Currently working on Soul of Rebirth. Why didn't I level up Minwu & Josef before? *mumblemumblemumble*

I still have to get Crisis Core. I'm working on getting Dissidia first though. *Is hopefull something nice will apear on her birthday*

I watch ff vids on youtube!:D THey look totally awesome but never played them as of yet. Though I have gotten the Final Fantasy: Chrisis Core for PSP!:D

I can't wait until the psp comes in so I can play it!:D

Kuja could take Sephiroth, thongs down.

I saw this and laughed. Sephiroth, while interesting, is completely overrated and overhyped, just like FF7. A good game, for sure, but steals away attention from lesser praised Final Fantasies, that probably should have been recognized more. Kuja is also terribly underappreciated. So what if he's feminine? He wasn't a bad villian. Besides, I would probably get a little nutty myself if I found out all the work I did to bring war to a kingdom would all be for naught (Spoiler ahead for anyone who never finished 9 >_>), since my life was on a timer and I would die anyway.

/Shrug

Don't get me wrong, I like both FF7 and FF9, but FF9 is among my top favorites :x And I'm just a tad bias against more futuristic FF games.

Edited by BloodVeil

*Is playing Dissidia*

While Sephiroth still remains my all time favourite villian (Kuja a close second), Kefka scares me. I think it's the voice.

VIII was my first in the series (maybe why I like Squall so much) and it took a little getting used to. I kept using the magic I had junctioned to my stats laugh.gif