Hiei101

Final Fantasy

Wait...Do you have something against gun-toting black comedy relief characters who let tiny chocobo nest in their afros?...How could any game fan be against that? o.0

Seeing as so far he is the only black character seen in the game footage, he feels like the token black character. But I'm more offended by the ridiculously small chocobo chick, they can't really tell me that chocobos start out like, the choco chicks in FFXI were more reasonably sized.

Anyone hear about Final Fantasy Versus XIII? It's an FF game set in the modern day. It looks...Well, see for yourself.

FFvs XIII is set in the same universe as FFXIII, they are just not connected, and the cars (and magic/whatchamacallit) don't look very modern to me. Both are part of Final Fantasy Fabula Novalis

I think it looks pretty badass. This dude can do EVERYTHING! Wield swords, shoot guns, raise protective force fields, warp around, and snap peoples' necks with his legs! WHILE THEY ARE STANDING!

Sound ridiculously over powered, lets see how they actually managed to get out of that.

When I first started playing FFX, I was terrible at blitzball. Not run-of-the-mill bad, but downright awful, to the point that just not touching the controller might have been a better course of action for me. I tend towards perfectionism in this sort of thing, though, so I played more blitzball games than I can count that week....which was finals week. Oops. xd.png

My save files seem to have been completely wiped clean, which sucks. Oh well. I don't mind starting from the beginning again, especially since I didn't get any of the optional aeons last time.

I hear you, I was the same way. The trouble with blitzball is that it can be SO confusing at first, and if you don't know how every part of it works you're probably going to lose even if you have a decent team. The tutorial alone is enough to confuse the hell out of people. Unfortunately that's what turns a lot of players off, and part of why it's such a widely disliked minigame... but it can be so fun once you learn how it all works. I wish more people would give it a chance.

I've kept Tidus on my active team this time which I've never done before, but he doesn't do a lot of good. I always try to have 3 shooters (2 forwards and an attacking midfielder) but Tidus's other stats aren't that great, so I end up relying on Linna and Brother to score most of my goals. I might dump him entirely once I win Jecht Shot 2, or once the Al Bhed Psyches stop resigning their players. I love the Al Bhed so I always try to have them on my team.

I can't for the life of me remember where the Jupiter Crest for Wakka's weapon is, so I've gotta look that up soon. I may try to do the freaking chocobo catcher and lightning dodging stuff this time... I want to do those SOMEDAY. The lightning dodging I know I CAN do, I just haven't ever had the patience. Chocobo catcher is another story. I've never even gotten CLOSE to getting the necessary time. Ugh. And wow I talk a lot about this game... o_o

Sorry for the double post, but has anyone watched footage of FFXIII yet (or actually bought it, if you're in Japan/importing)? I watched the first 3 hours of the game on some guy's stream last night, and it looked pretty interesting. There were things I disliked about it, but overall I do want to play it now, the battle system alone makes me want to purchase the game.

Lightning seemed to be a predictably bland protagonist from what I saw of her, and Snow irritates the hell out of me, but most of the other characters seemed likable enough. I'm interested to know their backstories. I think I'll spoil the hell out of this game for myself when more info comes out about it.

I LOVE final fantasy 8. It was my first game ever played, and Squall is an awesome character. His sword is awesome, and his limit break (Lion heart) is awesome.

I like FF 10 too, Auron is so cool. xd.png

Squall is my favourite FF character. biggrin.gif

I'm playing Digital Devil 2 at the moment, but I'm considering re-playing FF XII next. Although it's my least favourite of the series, I'm missing the prettyness.

Squall is my favourite FF character. biggrin.gif

I'm playing Digital Devil 2 at the moment, but I'm considering re-playing FF XII next. Although it's my least favourite of the series, I'm missing the prettyness.

FFXII does have the character development of some of the other games, which makes me dislike it. But it is still good IMO

Sorry for the double post, but has anyone watched footage of FFXIII yet (or actually bought it, if you're in Japan/importing)? I watched the first 3 hours of the game on some guy's stream last night, and it looked pretty interesting. There were things I disliked about it, but overall I do want to play it now, the battle system alone makes me want to purchase the game.

Lightning seemed to be a predictably bland protagonist from what I saw of her, and Snow irritates the hell out of me, but most of the other characters seemed likable enough. I'm interested to know their backstories. I think I'll spoil the hell out of this game for myself when more info comes out about it.

Living in Japan, and my friend bought FFXIII on Thursday (release date) and we played it for about 5 hours.

So far it's unclear WHO the main character is. We've spent roughly equal time with Lightning, Snow and Hope. My friend's Japanese is nearly fluent and mine is pretty damn horrible, but between us we understood what was going on. The battle system is fantastic--has a sphere grid and sort of Dressspheres, as well as the now-standard ATB and the monsters on the field like in XII.

Lightning is not so bland, but it's only been about 5 hours. She's looking for her little sister and she seems to be some kind of Soldier. She's very disciplined and emotionally in check--typical Square type hero.

Snow is super masculine in his speech but also boisterous and not serious. He's annoying, but the other characters think he's annoying as well--the fact that they acknowledged this makes me not hate him so much.

I have my predictions about Hope (the young boy), but I wanna keep them to myself for now. hee :3 Anyway I'm trying to get my friend to lay money on a bet about Hope's fate.

The graphics of course are FANTASTIC but the one thing that was driving us both bonkers--the PS3's output can be changed from *regular* (don't know all the terminology, sorry) output to HD, but the game itself is really truly made for HD. My friend's TV is large, but it is not an HDTV. All the in-game text (especially kanji) displays SO pixellated and mangled that we're having a really damn hard time reading anything. Tutorials, dialog, "You got an item", etc all giving us a literal headache as we try to decipher the teeny weeny little mooshed up kanji on the screen.

The font they used is very light and spidery so on a regular TV there's no way we can read it.

The 'prelude' or pre-chapter (no leveling up) alone took us 4 hours. This game is gonna be huge.

And the black guy (Sazh) is not comic relief as everyone is assuming. He's respectably voiced--they're not doing anything stupid with how he speaks--and though he's slightly exaggerated, so is everyone. He seems to be written as a serious and important character. He appears to know Lightning very well and challenges her Ice Queen demeanor at several points.

Their dialogue went something like this:

Sazh: "You don't even know where your sister is or what she's doing. What if you *can't trust her any more*? What if you can't even recognize her?"

Lightning: "Leave me alone!"

Sazh: "When you were a Soldier in the army, would you have hesitated to kill, if it was your mission?"

Lightning: "I didn't ask you to come! I don't need you with me." (walks away quickly)

Sazh: (to himself) "I don't think that's true."

I think people see his afro and jump to the conclusion that he's a caricature or comic relief, but he's not presented that way in-game. Snow is much more of a jerk-face buffoon than Sazh.

My friend is crazy for Sefiroth

It's Sephiroth.

Time for a rather off topic spelling leason:

"ph" and "f" make the same sound.

The battle system is fantastic--has a sphere grid and sort of Dressspheres, as well as the now-standard ATB and the monsters on the field like in XII.

I'm joining in this topic! smile.gif

Thank you for your review on FFXIII! The ATB battle system was probably what I loved most about FFXII, the enemies were perfectly integrated in the field and the diffrent fields connected in so many ways they almost felt like one big happy family (or area, if you like).

The dressspheres was one of the better parts of FFX-2, and I'm curious how it turned out in FFXIII.

I usually don't care much about the graphics quality, for me it's about playing the game (side quests!), the story (and characters!!) and the sound (music, battle music and voice actors). This actually puts graphics in last place for me, but my boyfriend does care a lot about them and maybe playing FFXIII will open his eyes to the fact that FF is AWESOME.

I'm so excited to play this game! Unfortunatly, I live in Europe so I'll have to wait a bit longer.

I'm not really looking forwards to the new FF - it sounds like it's been butchered from other reviews I've read, and these are from reasonably fair people. Watered down battling system, only one town, the sidequests are exactly like in crisis core, and to be fair, that worked for crisis core because it was a handheld. It was good to do a single sidequest on the bus or something, instead of having to play a tiny part of a larger quest and then forget what I was doing when I got back to it... but this is a home console game we're talking about. I can't take a PS3 on the bus to play, why are the quests the same? How boring!

I love FF, and I think it's sad to see the company that owns it start treating it with such laziness and contempt because "it's final fantasy; it will sell no matter how bad it is"

Edited by FilthBunny

The battle system is fantastic--has a sphere grid and sort of Dressspheres, as well as the now-standard ATB and the monsters on the field like in XII.

Oh this makes me so happy to hear. Even if I won't get to play it which I probably won't...

Lightning is not so bland, but it's only been about 5 hours. ... She's very disciplined and emotionally in check--typical Square type hero.

This not so much. Christ Squeenix, it's damn near 2010, can you please give us radically different types of heroes more often? jesus god

FFX - the game everyone bought a playstation 2 for.

FFXIII - the game everyone will buy a playstation 3 for?

Actually I won my PS2 in a competition lol.

Sounds about right.

You know, I'm actually pretty excited about FFXIII. Moreso Versus, though, really. They say FF's been going downhill (I agree here...), but this might actually slap all the pessimists in the face. XD

The sphere grid was a neat addition in FFX, so that's something to look forward to.

I'll be getting a PS3 for SO4 International, but FFXIII will be a nice bonus. At least I Hope it'll be a nice bonus and not a horrible punishment.

And now I'm going to go look for FFXIII p*rn. There's been plenty of time for something good to have been produced by now...

I'll be getting a PS3 for SO4 International, but FFXIII will be a nice bonus. At least I Hope it'll be a nice bonus and not a horrible punishment.

And now I'm going to go look for FFXIII p*rn. There's been plenty of time for something good to have been produced by now...

Actually, chances are that there was some before the game was even out. xd.png

I usually wait to play/read/watch whatever the series is before reading p*rn of it. Whenever I do it the other way around I find that my perceptions of the characters are insanely skewed. Good luck and happy hunting to you, though!

Actually, a guy with a crush on me gave me his PS2, before I was smart enough to realize what a crush looked like and stupidly accepted, giving him false hope. Though, true to form, FFX was the first game I played on it.

Edited by slovu

I already have a PS3. With b/c. =D First game was MGS4.

Though looking forward to FFXIII. It looks to be, well ... epic.

I just got FF 5.

xd.png So old. I feel weird playing old games.

I'm in love with Dirge of Ceberus though. FF 10 wasn't too bad either. On FF 12 I'm stuck in the ruins. D:

I just got FF 5.

xd.png So old. I feel weird playing old games.

I'm in love with Dirge of Ceberus though. FF 10 wasn't too bad either. On FF 12 I'm stuck in the ruins. D:

... *whistles, hides FF3*

I can't really get into Dirge of Cerberus. I don't know why. I played a few hours about six months ago and then just stopped. >.<

I really liked FF10! Tidus was a nice change from the normal stoic, emotionally withdrawn Square hero. I also liked the girls, but I have spoken of that pretty extensively in the "Gaming Crushes" thread. xd.png

I'm kind of burned out on Final Fantasy, though. I should go asking for game recs on the appropriate thread, or create it if it doesn't exist yet.