Iside

Influence time for Halloween eggs

I know this has been probably proposed more than once before, but since the problem is going to be more and more serious every year,  thought it was worth a try.

Halloween eggs in the AP are now 4 days 5 hours left, and they are still eggs laid on October 25th, so the first day of Halloween. If it continue like this, in about 30 hours from now AP eggs will be below 3 days, and it will be impossible to influence them. If people waited before breeding their Halloween - not till the last breeding days, but probably just to the second day of Halloween week - most likely their eggs will appear in the AP when it's too late to influence.  When it's not important at Christmas or Valentine, when most dragons are of just one gender, this is a serious problem at Halloween because a large part of the eggs is going ti misgender, ruining the lineages.

Also, every year more and more eggs are laid, but the number of those that can be taken by players is almost constant, because of the eggs and especially hatchie limits of scroll. So the influence problem for Halloween eggs become always more serious.

So my suggestion is to remove the 3 days time limit to influence eggs, ONLY for Halloween eggs, making them influencable at any time. After all they are special eggs, and this is a special time of the year, so this will not conflict with how the action works with normal eggs and in normal times of the years.

Or maybe - without needing to change the influence BSA - reset the timer of eggs in the moment they become visible in the AP. Something like "if eggs time is anything below 3 days, then egg time become 3 days 1 hours left"

This would also solve the problem of Holidays eggs risking to die if they are not taken from the AP in time

Edited by Iside

Support, I hate seeing all those Halloween lines we can only breed once a year go to waste because they can't be influenced. I've found low time eggs at the end of the season that would be perfect mates for dragons I already have, except they're the wrong gender and there's nothing I can do about it. It's so frustrating.

I bred most of my lines on the 25th and I don't think they've made it to the AP yet. I haven't bred most of my CBs because I'm breeding stuff for myself throughout the week, the siblings of those eggs won't have a chance to be influenced at all.

I think whatever solution we get for Halloweens should apply to Hollies and Mistletoes, as well.

I support this suggestion 100%!

I know I mentioned it at least one other time and people said those lineages aren't really ruined, because some people don't care, or they like to make alternating checkers, or blah blah blah -- but for me they ARE ruined. They are of no use to me at all. And as @GhostMouse says it especially hurts if it is an egg that would produce a perfect mate for a dragon you have been hunting a mate for!

Maybe lineages don't matter to some people, but I think there is a large segment of the player base for which lineages are the reason for breeding at all. This suggestion would do no harm to those who don't care, but it would be extremely helpful to those of us who do!

I support this, too - I have so often got perfect mates that - weren't.

I would definitely support something along these lines! I love building checkers, and it's always a shame when an egg becomes a coin toss of whether it can continue it's pretty line or becomes an unfortunate dead end. I can't imagine how low time things will be for those dragons bred on Halloween proper.

at this point it's a necessity... the AP has dipped under 3 days and we're only on the 27th. there are still 4 days worth of eggs left and the breeding period isn't even over yet! that's a lot of eggs that will never get the chance to be influenced :(

I fear eggs laid today would even die before they have the chance to appear the the AP :(

22 minutes ago, Iside said:

I fear eggs laid today would even die before they have the chance to appear the the AP :(

Historically this rarely happens unless someone picks them up and they time out that way. The 'ween AP tends to bottom out with more than 12 hours left, if they even hit that low.

Edited by Guillotine

2 hours ago, Guillotine said:

Historically this rarely happens unless someone picks them up and they time out that way. The 'ween AP tends to bottom out with more than 12 hours left, if they even hit that low.

It has not happened yet, I think, but each year the times get lower, and it could easily happen.

2 hours ago, Guillotine said:

I really hope so. It would be such a pity if hundred of eggs would be going to die without having any chance to live

Edited by Iside

Full support. Lost count of the number of times I've picked up an egg from the AP, gone to influence it . . . and . . . facepalm!  Even just a 24 hour extension to 2 days instead of 3 for event eggs, would be beneficial.

A lower time limit for being able to use Influence would be immensely useful during Halloween.  I'd like to see it specifically targeted at the event breeds.  If it affected all eggs, I'm wondering what sort of effect that might have on trading.  I could envisage it making the process very drawn out, with some players leaving those offering on their eggs to wait over long before making their choice of which offer to accept.

Edited by LadyMadonna

17 hours ago, LadyMadonna said:

'd like to see it specifically targeted at the event breeds

Except for Hollies and Mistletoes, other event dragons are single sex, so this wouldn't be necessary. But JUST  for Hallowe'en - yes please.

I'd very much like to see something like this added. Especially considering that we are at two days in AP and what on the 29th laid.

The bumrush after Halloween is such a mixed bag, pun intended, and with g2 dragons you can swing with it if it genders wrong but past that it gets much harder

Support! There's a lot of hatchies being given away but people hesitate picking them up because their future misgenders make them less desirable.

On 10/31/2023 at 10:10 PM, Guillotine said:

I fear today is not the case... the AP is currently filled with 1 hour left eggs :(

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 02-27-22 Abandoned Eggs - Dragon Cave.png

Is there an important reason why eggs can't normally be influenced under 3 days? Could it just be changed so that limit doesn't exist?

I support this. I usually don't even bother hunting in the AP for more Halloween eggs once they start dipping down into being uninfluenceable - the only thing I really still need for Halloweens are a few specific genders of two breeds to even out my scroll, and I just don't have enough Aeons to be forever checking and chucking. If we could influence the Halloween eggs appropriately I'd definitely be more inclined to help with the wall at the end of the season. 

Nothing quite like the heartbreak of picking up a BEAUTIFUL checker that's several layers deep and finding out that the egg won't gender correctly to finish it off and there's nothing you can do about it :C

6 hours ago, Iside said:

I fear today is not the case... the AP is currently filled with 1 hour left eggs :(

Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 02-27-22 Abandoned Eggs - Dragon Cave.png

I wonder if the extra drop day put pressure on the population? BC Halloweens are by nature the ones that can produce the most eggs at once, that extra day could have set off the egg balance...

I still don't have a strong opinion on this, but if the extra day sticks around it's shot up a lot in necessity I think.

8 hours ago, Guillotine said:

I wonder if the extra drop day put pressure on the population? BC Halloweens are by nature the ones that can produce the most eggs at once, that extra day could have set off the egg balance...

The extra day had no effect on the AP dying because the breeding of old Halloweens ended on the 31st as usual; the NRs we got from the extended drop on Nov 1st were behind the dying eggs in the AP. The AP reaching 0 hours was just the logical conclusion of an exponentially growing holiday dragon population; every year, it's taken longer and longer for the holiday eggs to be picked up, and it was only a matter of time before the inevitable happened.

2 hours ago, Aie said:

The extra day had no effect on the AP dying because the breeding of old Halloweens ended on the 31st as usual; the NRs we got from the extended drop on Nov 1st were behind the dying eggs in the AP. The AP reaching 0 hours was just the logical conclusion of an exponentially growing holiday dragon population; every year, it's taken longer and longer for the holiday eggs to be picked up, and it was only a matter of time before the inevitable happened.

It's not the breeding that was affected, it was the number of people who had open slots. An extra day of picking up NRs means people who may have otherwise had open space may not have, or had less. 

This. In the normal of run of things I would have been able to pick up MANY more but I was locked before the deaths even got close.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I don't think that change would have affected as much. If the drop rate was normal, more people would have been locked day 1 than they were with low drop rate. So people had more free slots on that day.  Then they had less the next day. Kind of evens out. In the end, a lot of people likely had NR goals and they would have tried to stick to them regardless of how long the drop takes by either being more desperate in grabs or abandoning back more. Regardless, everyone seemed to think that AP wasn't going to be that bad, so on neither of those days they would have acted to save it as there wasn't the feel to need to. 

People just didn't feel the AP was going to be so bad until it was. There were tons of people with free space on scrolls that could have been used. Then there are people who would be locked throughout no matter how long NR drops.  This is highly subjective. Sure, you can speak for yourself that 1 more day of drops changed your entire behavior, but not for the general populace.

Now if you said this will affect next year, then yes, if more NRs dropped total, there will be even more bred next year. 

I agree with Aie, this was inevitable and if it hasn't happened this year, it'd be happening the next.  The amount of breeding (and therefore eggs in AP) every year grows exponentially while our slots and egg timers stay the same. As I don't expect that to change, I do highly support the increase in length of time eggs can be influenced. 

Edited by Alwerien