KageSora

Lengthen Flood And/Or Increased Drop Volume for New Releases

@Tiira - when you say non-stop, do you actually mean a constant flow of eggs, no breaks ? To my mind that's going too far - but I do support no mixing for 24 hours.

I do, that's what I said on the first page of this thread and I haven't changed my mind yet. Personally I don't feel that it would be exaggeration but I'm sure many will rather agree with you, and I would be happy with any improvements. Perhaps the number of eggs dropped could be increased in addition to lengthening the flood to 24 hours, if a non-stop flood is too wild an idea...

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

@Tiira - when you say non-stop, do you actually mean a constant flow of eggs, no breaks ? To my mind that's going too far - but I do support no mixing for 24 hours.

I really wish it was like this for 24 hours. I literally found out about the latest drop right after the flood stopped. Got none of them so far. 😕

5 minutes ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

I really wish it was like this for 24 hours. I literally found out about the latest drop right after the flood stopped. Got none of them so far. 😕

Same. The floods definitely need to last a lot longer. As many have mentioned, there are users across the globe who aren't even active/awake during some of the drops...

I do agree that at this point in the game, we should be seeing more volume when it comes to egg floods. Even though I was a bit more lucky with this one, most of the 16-hour time frame in which they were flooding I was either 1. asleep, or 2. at work. Which preoccupied most of that 16 hour time frame.

But alternatively, might I suggest flooding over mulitple days? If it can't be for a full 24 hours, even like a 16-hour flood period over the course of say, 3 days, with "normal" conditions in between could make it convenient for those who are playing during different hours of the day.  I'm not sure how difficult that might be to implement or if game mechanics wouldn't make that possible, but I feel like it would also give people enough time to see the announcements and ready themselves for second waves.

On 10/2/2023 at 6:08 PM, Brite said:

Same. The floods definitely need to last a lot longer. As many have mentioned, there are users across the globe who aren't even active/awake during some of the drops...

I'm even in the US and check this site regularly, sometimes I'm busy and just miss it but would really like a 24 hour, no mix release so I can actually get them. I still haven't gotten any from the release prior I think.

Even if you're in the US, EST means they drop at midnight. If you're asleep and then go to work the next morning, you miss the flood.

Full support for 24 hour floods, or at least better advance notice of dragon releases so they can be planned around.

Edited by Skadi

38 minutes ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

I'm even in the US and check this site regularly, sometimes I'm busy and just miss it but would really like a 24 hour, no mix release so I can actually get them. I still haven't gotten any from the release prior I think.

No? I have a spare gloomy and swirl if you'd like them :)

13 hours ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

The previous release eggs are common now. They sit in the biomes. You can grab one pretty much at any time.

Right now I don't plan on forcing 24 hour "floods" of new releases. I described earlier in this thread that there are a lot of tweaks that happen which are gradual or otherwise less visible, but generally new releases should be easy to find for weeks after, not just the day of the release. Obviously there are exceptions: some breeds are rarer than others, and with the benefit of hindsight some releases turn out to have been poorly planned, for which I do take insight from those into planning future releases (for example: I try to avoid overlapping biomes, but need to do better about releases that leave only a single in-cave breed, such as releases including a new hybrid). From the anecdotes I've heard both on the forums and Discord over the last few months, things are largely in a good state, though. People frequently mention how the latest release is readily available, and other data I track seems to support that as well.

20 hours ago, Brite said:

No? I have a spare gloomy and swirl if you'd like them :)

No, I'd feel bad for taking them off someone else. You got'em so you keep'em. :)

7 hours ago, meeps114 said:

The previous release eggs are common now. They sit in the biomes. You can grab one pretty much at any time.

I never see them, I'd have to try again but last time I tried hunting for them, I seen none.

4 hours ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

No, I'd feel bad for taking them off someone else. You got'em so you keep'em. :)

I never see them, I'd have to try again but last time I tried hunting for them, I seen none.

You're looking for the peach pieds and jaw splitters, right? I think if you try hunting for them again, you won't be disappointed. Pretty much at any time, there's ~2 available in the caves. Right now, there are two jaw splitters in the biomes. I'd be happy to find and send some to you, but I really do think you'll stumble across them pretty easily now!

Thank you for the insight again, TJ. Maybe that wasn't quite the answer that I was hoping for, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond here and explain the reasons behind your decisions. It's nice to know that many players actually find new dragons to be readily available after their release, I only follow the forums so my image of this might have been wrong. And it is absolutely great that you keep reflecting on the past releases to make the future ones work even smoother!

16 hours ago, meeps114 said:

You're looking for the peach pieds and jaw splitters, right? I think if you try hunting for them again, you won't be disappointed. Pretty much at any time, there's ~2 available in the caves. Right now, there are two jaw splitters in the biomes. I'd be happy to find and send some to you, but I really do think you'll stumble across them pretty easily now!

No, it's the flower petal ones, Astrael Dragons. I completely forgot about the jaw splitter ones! Dx I have those luckily but it's the Astraels that I missed entirely.

1 hour ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

No, it's the flower petal ones, Astrael Dragons. I completely forgot about the jaw splitter ones! Dx I have those luckily but it's the Astraels that I missed entirely.

Ooooh I see, yes those are grabbed up pretty quickly! 

On 10/4/2023 at 4:50 PM, TJ09 said:

People frequently mention how the latest release is readily available, and other data I track seems to support that as well.

Out of curiosity in this case do you mean "latest release" to mean "October 2023 release" or do you mean "some post-release chatter and data for several previous releases have been that they've been readily available after the release"?

I think what is meant is probably whatever the latest one was. We do often see people saying "OK I missed the drop, but they are easy to find". Exceptions - Coppers and - it seems - Astraels.

Astraels are definitely still hard to find/get. I have seen plenty in the past few weeks, but can never catch em. 

Edited by Brite

Astraels will probably take a while to even out, as they have so many variants. If people want x of every sprite, then more sprites => Longer time for demand to settle.

But based of off the market price, I have hope that they aren't meant to be as uncommon as they'd seem right now.

Super hyped about the mention of overlapping biomes though. That one is super frustrating when you have to click within the first seconds of refresh, but also have to read the description.

1 hour ago, inghelene said:

But based of off the market price, I have hope that they aren't meant to be as uncommon as they'd seem right now.

Personally I find the market to be a really bad way to judge how easy something is to find in-cave.  For example, I've seen more Silvers than Aeons, despite Aeons being cheaper and I've seen far more Magmas than either despite Magmas being much more expensive.

False-Headed-Hydras I've barely seen since their flood ended, but they're super cheap--meanwhile dragons that cost 8x or more I have fairly minimal trouble collecting.

So the market really isn't always the best judge.

Also Stats are currently 100 less than Magmas.  There is absolutely NO WAY that Stats are easier to find in the cave than Magmas, though.

Basically, I don't think you can use the market price to determine if a dragon will become much easier to get once it's settled post-flood or not.

52 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Personally I find the market to be a really bad way to judge how easy something is to find in-cave.  For example, I've seen more Silvers than Aeons, despite Aeons being cheaper and I've seen far more Magmas than either despite Magmas being much more expensive.

False-Headed-Hydras I've barely seen since their flood ended, but they're super cheap--meanwhile dragons that cost 8x or more I have fairly minimal trouble collecting.

So the market really isn't always the best judge.

Also Stats are currently 100 less than Magmas.  There is absolutely NO WAY that Stats are easier to find in the cave than Magmas, though.

Basically, I don't think you can use the market price to determine if a dragon will become much easier to get once it's settled post-flood or not.

THIS. I was wondering if anyone else found the current market prices strange. Also to add, I've been able to squeeze out numerous metals from my breeding pairs these past couple months, but I've only managed to breed just ONE aeon egg in this amount of time.  And I've been able to scoop up about a handful of trios from the cave within the past couple weeks. It makes no sense that they're so pricey in the market. 

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I think what is meant is probably whatever the latest one was. We do often see people saying "OK I missed the drop, but they are easy to find". Exceptions - Coppers and - it seems - Astraels.

-whispers- Also Vespines...

Also seconding what Skadi suggested about more advance notice of releases. I definitely feel like that would be helpful as well. 

Backing up the requests for advance notice. I don't think it's particularly likely but it would be so good to have I'm gonna ask anyway. Not only because it's frustrating having to decide whether to keep the eggs I've already got or risk not getting the nr at all, even though that is a huge issue for me personally, especially when it's bred eggs for projects. The longer floods would be nice but I usually miss them anyway and I can usually make up the slack after the flood (Astraels being a notable exception because they're so unbearably rare, at least for me, and even on the odd occasion I do see them I'm only sometimes fast enough to get them), so it's really more a question of space. Having advance notice means I'm not going to be sitting on a handful of freshly bred project eggs that I the have to either sac in favour of nrs or not get the nrs.

Secondarily, although I fully admit that it's more of a me problem than a dc problem, having new releases unpredictably dropped on my head is something of a anxiety trigger. DC has no obligation to accommodate me there, but it would still be so nice for me to have release warnings, so a second and selfish yes please on that front.

4 minutes ago, StarlightLion said:

Backing up the requests for advance notice. I don't think it's particularly likely but it would be so good to have I'm gonna ask anyway. Not only because it's frustrating having to decide whether to keep the eggs I've already got or risk not getting the nr at all, even though that is a huge issue for me personally, especially when it's bred eggs for projects. The longer floods would be nice but I usually miss them anyway and I can usually make up the slack after the flood (Astraels being a notable exception because they're so unbearably rare, at least for me, and even on the odd occasion I do see them I'm only sometimes fast enough to get them), so it's really more a question of space. Having advance notice means I'm not going to be sitting on a handful of freshly bred project eggs that I the have to either sac in favour of nrs or not get the nrs.

Secondarily, although I fully admit that it's more of a me problem than a dc problem, having new releases unpredictably dropped on my head is something of a anxiety trigger. DC has no obligation to accommodate me there, but it would still be so nice for me to have release warnings, so a second and selfish yes please on that front.

More space would be very nice. Some have even suggested that, but TJ unfortunately shot it down. I agree he's not obligated to accommodate, but I (and many others) still think something should be done about these issues..