Fishkeeper

Update the "growing dragons" number on the scroll to reflect dead eggs/hatchies taking up slots.

So, I have a dead egg on my scroll taking up a slot, as I killed it with a vampire. If I look at my number of growing dragons listed with my various scroll stats, it says I have 20 growing dragons, which is correct- a dead egg isn't a growing dragon. However, if I go to the egglimits help page, it says (also correctly) that I have 21 slots taken up. As seen below.

zimage.png.682d24b5c2cf724fd72f65cb5932a07c.png

zimage2.png.e4bb7ae9f71dbf3208e34f833b9a1443.png

I've auto-abandoned a few things because I checked my scroll number, saw that I had seemingly space, and forgot I had vamp fails. I would therefore like to suggest that the "growing dragons" number in scroll stats should be changed to somehow indicate that a dead dragon is taking up space, not least as I imagine this would be confusing for a newbie. Maybe by changing "20" to "20*", asterisk included? Or it could read, say, "20 +1".

But dead things are not growing, so - no support, sorry.

I actually support this despite it not technically being a growing dragon, because it is useful information for the player.  Yes the player can click through but it would be helpful to see that directly on the scroll.  I mean, frozen hatchlings aren't grown dragons technically but they're still counted in the grown dragon count so we already have precedent for "things being counted even though they don't technically fit the label".

Another option would be to simply have a second section added that directly tells you how many slots you have on-scroll.  That could be a little cluttered, though, since you'd need to account for both total things and eggs...  Looking at the page there's also not really much room to put another line of information unless you moved it elsewhere...  On Desktop it could be slotted under the "copy to share your scroll" spot, though that would be a little odd to separate it out from the other info.  On mobile it would be easy enough to just add the extra info at the bottom of where the stats are listed.

Actually, a simpler option may simply be just rename it from growing dragons to something else--something like "Slots filled" and then instead of just the number you have show the number you have out of the total.  Of course, that also runs into the issue total and egg being different...

Edited by KageSora

An asterisk is a reasonable compromise. It allows "growing dragons" to be accurate to the letter while signifying that number is not the full information. It could also be hoverable and display something like "You have 2 recently killed eggs and 1 recently killed hatchling lowering your limits".

Edited by Shadowdrake

23 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

An asterisk is a reasonable compromise. It allows "growing dragons" to be accurate to the letter while signifying that number is not the full information. It could also be hoverable and display something like "You have 2 recently killed eggs and 1 recently killed hatchling lowering your limits".

The only issue with that is that you can't hover on mobile, so mobile users will end up basically just having to click through anyway.

If it's just the asterisk that's hoverable/clickable it's no different from the hover on my inaccurate join date tidbit. The actual number isn't a hyperlink.

Screenshot_20230530-215206-811.png.3600303e593a695a414715aa6567c2cd.png

4 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

If it's just the asterisk that's hoverable/clickable it's no different from the hover on my inaccurate join date tidbit. The actual number isn't a hyperlink.

Screenshot_20230530-215206-811.png.3600303e593a695a414715aa6567c2cd.png

...Oh, DUH.  For some reason I figured you meant the entire "growing dragons" link and number being part of it somehow

Yeah that would work pretty well I think.  Easy enough to include a "X dead dragons taking up slots" or just the full on egg/total slot info

I always like seeing more tools for the players to properly see our own information so support! Not personally fussed about what exact form this suggestion takes though XD More info more accessible is always good

To be honest, I’m kinda for the confusion. If I loose an egg to miscounting, it’s my fault for killing my eggs in the first place. 
I mean, it really sucks when it happens.

But I also do like the increased chance for new players to end up with eggs that I originally intended to hoard. So I’m low key supporting any mechanic where you risk loosing eggs to ap from specific actions. Especially since this one can be avoided with habits of checking.

I'm not really in favor of including them in the "growing dragons" but I would support adding them to your egg limits.

image.png.1ddb81dcba323c9214c68c15ace7ce24.png

Adding dead eggs here would let you know how many slots you actually have available and makes the information pretty easy to access while maintaining the "growing dragons" field as is to only include those things that are actually growing.

Sorry. Didn't realize this was already a thing. :mellow:

Edited by purplehaze

30 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I'm not really in favor of including them in the "growing dragons" but I would support adding them to your egg limits.

image.png.1ddb81dcba323c9214c68c15ace7ce24.png

Adding dead eggs here would let you know how many slots you actually have available and makes the information pretty easy to access while maintaining the "growing dragons" field as is to only include those things that are actually growing.

They're already included on the trophy count page.

The point of the suggestion is to basically have the same count reflected both on the scroll page itself and on the trophy page instead of forcing you to remember to click through another link to check every time to make sure you have enough space.

5 minutes ago, KageSora said:

They're already included on the trophy count page.

Oops! Didn't know that. Sorry. Disregard!

16 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Oops! Didn't know that. Sorry. Disregard!

I think the lack of clear labeling makes it easy to overlook the discrepancy in the two counts, especially for those of us who don't typically do a lot of forcing/EQ/vamp/zombie attempts and thus don't often have dead eggs/unfrozen hatchlings taking up scroll space!

I don't think it's worth keeping the game misinformative just to occasionally give the ap one or two goodies at someone's expense. There's always someone else willing to try massbreeding for free, no matter how rare the species. Those lost eggs aren't usually special, but even if they are, like saltkins, I don't like the concept of capitalizing on someone's misfortune because of something the game did.