Ashywolf

Include egg sprites and descriptions in the first post of new releases

Title. Yes I know someone is usually helpful and gathers that information in the second post, but not always, and I feel like as users we shouldn't have to take that extra step to educate everyone who may come in 2 or 3 days late (when TJ's eggs have already hatched). Yes I know you can also check the wiki. But I just feel like this should be something that is default posted in the actual release post by TJ.

Ok, maybe this is not even a big deal, but I just don't see why it can't be normalized.

Support. Even coming in a few hours late can mean you miss the egg sprites and descriptions. We shouldn't have to rely on other users making a post or updating the wiki to provide that info for us (but I really appreciate those who do it!)

I personally like that new releases remain a bit of a mystery at first, leaving it to users to help each other piece together information. A lot of other features on DC feed into the mystery of which breeds are which and how they work - including eggs in the biomes having obscured sprites, an encyclopedia that updates slowly and omits most identifying information about eggs, and a lack of on-site guides for a lot of obscure mechanics.

It is my impression that DC is intentionally designed with experimentation and surprises in mind. New releases follow that format.

No support from me. I like the mysterious vibe and seeing the community come together to help each other out with each new release. :]

I am with @seventeendeer there. I like that DC has exactly as many spoilers as I want to have. IF I want the info it's easily accessible, but if not there is also an element of surprise.

Edit to add: Spoilers would work perfectly fine for me! Didn't even think of that. XD

Edited by NightEagle

I don't think there's reason that info can't be behind a spoiler tag in the first post so that users who don't want to see it don't have to.  It would be avoidable for those who wanna avoid it but visible for those who do want to see.

I support this because really, it's not so much a mystery, IMO, if everybody who is online at release can see exactly what each egg looks like and what description it has but everyone who comes in after hatching is out of luck and has to rely on other people.

Mystery would be more along the lines of the eggs unclickable in the first post so that nobody can see the descriptions instead of giving advantage to people who happen to be online at the time, IMO.

Edited by KageSora
Fixed wording to try and convey tone better

There does also tend to be a user-made post with the egg descriptions one or two posts down from the main, so there's no harm in going ahead and including 'em in the main post, maybe under a spoiler.

One thing i do also want to mention is I don't think that adding descriptions (especially behind a spoiler tag) would remove the community effort to come together.

People would still have to team up to find out what biomes they're in, or what the parents are for hybrids, or what mechanics there are for different variations.

It could even be a delayed addition, only being added after the eggs hatch--by that point somebody will have already made a post with the info anyway, it would just be making it more obviously accessible than making people look through the topic for it.

Support! They can in a spoiler from the start, or can be added later (in a spoiler if preferable) once users start posting the descriptions themselves. Whatever works!

Support! Putting it under a spoiler in the announcement would let everyone decide how many spoilers they want, and save later-hunters from the trouble… win-win!

Yeah no, actually, having them in a spoiler tag would be nice too - I frankly forgot that TJ's dragons start as eggs at all, since I always come bumbling in 11 hours late with starbucks LOL

Might as well, in that case! Not much of a mystery in the first place if the first 500 people to see it can just click and read.

Support! Spoiler tags create an opt-in element of mystery hunting if you want it, but mean that those of us more focused on collection (and wanting access to all the indexing information asap, like me XD) can have a much easier time of it. It takes me three different resources (the cave itself, the user-posts detailing descriptions and biomes, and the wiki for miscellaneous sundries) at the moment to fully add each new release to my spreadsheets lmao, so having that information reliably accessible from TJ himself would be a huge simplification for me ^-^