Xopwe

Make ward last 8 hours

I personally only use ward before sleeping if I'm trying to hatch a rare egg that I'm worried will get viewbombed by a jealous individual. The issue is, ward only lasts 6 hours. The average person sleeps for 8 hours, leaving, at minimum, a 2 hour window where the egg is vulnerable. 

I don't bother warding during the day because I can periodically check my eggs to make sure they're not getting viewbombed/sick. But everyone has to sleep at some point, and sleeping leaves your eggs vulnerable to attack. 

You could make the argument "just fog them if you're worried about them dying in the night" and to that I say; then what's the point of ward? 

Support, 8 hours seems to be less than what is normally asked for when this idea is brought up, which might possibly make it more likely to actually happen? Maybe? Though TJ has basically shot down extending Ward before...

This was TJ's response to a suggestion to increase Ward hours, from 2017:

You guys use ward on non-sick eggs?

I only use it on sick eggs then fog them, so far never had a death to sickness by doing that

(current dead eggs are from getting skittish NRs)

Also, it helps to go into your account settings and have your scroll name not appear on dragon pages, it doesnt help when you are trading much, but its a little help

Besides that, i am always in for increasing the hours ward lasts! There is no downside to that

Also how the hell do you get 8 hours of sleep on a week day? Its either 4-6 hours on weekdays or 10 for weekends

Edited by Yubelchen

ward alone isn't going to keep your eggs safe. it only keeps them from dying of sickness - it doesn't stop them from getting sick/sicker, hence why its usually paired with fog. it's meant more as another safety net or a last ditch effort to save an egg that's already super sick.

fogging and/or hiding your scroll is enough to prevent viewbombing overnight

as for the suggestion, I don't see a need to extend ward, but no reason to be against it either.

also yes gib secrets

5 minutes ago, Arcy said:

ward alone isn't going to keep your eggs safe. it only keeps them from dying of sickness - it doesn't stop them from getting sick/sicker

I would like to emphasize this, because this is something some people don't seem to understand. Warding an egg and then leaving for 8+ hours without fogging it or taking it out of hatcheries isn't what Ward was ever intended for and Ward will never help with that, even if the protection-time is extended. As long as a sick egg keeps gaining views, Ward isn't going to be very helpful. Ward only keeps an egg from *dying* for a certain amount of time, it doesn't stop the egg from getting views and it doesn't stop the egg from getting sicker and sicker until it's beyond saving. If the egg is sick enough, it's going to die the moment Ward wears off, even if the protection-time is extended.

5 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I would like to emphasize this, because this is something some people don't seem to understand. Warding an egg and then leaving for 8+ hours without fogging it or taking it out of hatcheries isn't what Ward was ever intended for and Ward will never help with that, even if the protection-time is extended. As long as a sick egg keeps gaining views, Ward isn't going to be very helpful. Ward only keeps an egg from *dying* for a certain amount of time, it doesn't stop the egg from getting views and it doesn't stop the egg from getting sicker and sicker until it's beyond saving. If the egg is sick enough, it's going to die the moment Ward wears off, even if the protection-time is extended.

The point is that if you ward, go to sleep, then the egg gets sick the moment you go to sleep then it won't die in the night. You can wake up, see that its sick and fog it before it dies. 

You'd do this on the first night for very stubborn rares like prizes/zyus and things that need LOTS of views. 

Right now ward is pretty pointless, why ward when fog is much safer and more reliable AND you can use it more than once for as long as you need? 

Edited by Cryinglightning505

3 hours ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

The point is that if you ward, go to sleep, then the egg gets sick the moment you go to sleep then it won't die in the night. You can wake up, see that its sick and fog it before it dies. 

You'd do this on the first night for very stubborn rares like prizes/zyus and things that need LOTS of views. 

Right now ward is pretty pointless, why ward when fog is much safer and more reliable AND you can use it more than once for as long as you need? 

Fog and Ward are two different actions with two different purposes. If you wake up and see your egg is sick fogging it WON'T prevent it from dying. Only Ward will do that. Fog will prevent the egg from getting any sicker than it already is so that when Ward wears off it will have had time to recover.

If you want to be sure of nothing happening during the night you can always fog your eggs when you go to bed and re-add them to hatcheries when you wake up.

Like others have said, Ward was never meant to be a preventative measure. It's meant to save an egg that is already sick. In fact by using it preventatively you might be doing yourself more harm than good. If you Ward an egg when you go to sleep at night, and then the next day you get viewbombed you won't be able to use Ward when you really need it.

I certainly wouldn't object to extending Ward's time, but realistically I don't think it's ever going to happen. If an egg is too sick to recover within six hours then a couple more hours isn't likely to improve the chances very much.

1 hour ago, UnicornMaiden said:

Fog and Ward are two different actions with two different purposes. If you wake up and see your egg is sick fogging it WON'T prevent it from dying. Only Ward will do that. Fog will prevent the egg from getting any sicker than it already is so that when Ward wears off it will have had time to recover.

If you want to be sure of nothing happening during the night you can always fog your eggs when you go to bed and re-add them to hatcheries when you wake up.

Like others have said, Ward was never meant to be a preventative measure. It's meant to save an egg that is already sick. In fact by using it preventatively you might be doing yourself more harm than good. If you Ward an egg when you go to sleep at night, and then the next day you get viewbombed you won't be able to use Ward when you really need it.

I certainly wouldn't object to extending Ward's time, but realistically I don't think it's ever going to happen. If an egg is too sick to recover within six hours then a couple more hours isn't likely to improve the chances very much.

It says on the site that the 'cure' for sickness is fogging, not warding. 

https://dragcave.net/help/sickness it doesn't mention warding at all. 

Actually neither hiding or warding is a sure-fire "cure" for sickness. An egg may already have too many views to survive, even if it is not yet dead.

3 hours ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

It says on the site that the 'cure' for sickness is fogging, not warding. 

https://dragcave.net/help/sickness it doesn't mention warding at all. 

That... is actually pretty misleading, and maybe should be changed. 

Point-blank, there is NO 100% successful 'cure' for sickness. None. Ward will keep it from *dying* for 6 hours, if it's still too sick after that amount of time it may still die. Fog/hide will keep it from getting more views, meaning it won't get sicker, but if it's *already* too sick it still might die. The only 100% successful way for an egg to not die from sickness is for it to never get sick at all. If you catch the sickness quickly and fog/Ward right when it gets sick, you have a better chance at saving them (I haven't had any eggs actually die of sickness in years), but if you don't take action right away you may not be able to save them no matter what actions you use. Fog does *nothing* to sickness directly, all it does is stop the egg from getting more views, which will help it 'recover' from the 'too many views' if it's not already too sick to survive.

47 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

That... is actually pretty misleading, and maybe should be changed.

It should at least indicate that some eggs may not be able to be cured. It only refers to the hide action as a useful tool in combating sickness, not a cure, but the whole tone of that paragraph makes it seem that if you stop the views the egg will get better.

The way you are wording this request makes me want to point out the obvious. Fog your eggs when you go to sleep then.

Ward is to be used on an already sick egg to keep that sick egg from dying for 6 hours. 

Fogging is virtually the only way to prevent sickness in the first place.

1 hour ago, Paradisiske said:

The way you are wording this request makes me want to point out the obvious. Fog your eggs when you go to sleep then.

Ward is to be used on an already sick egg to keep that sick egg from dying for 6 hours. 

Fogging is virtually the only way to prevent sickness in the first place.

Agreed. Now, sometimes I do use Ward on an egg that's not yet sick, if it's a stubborn breed and already ER-timed, but in that scenario I'm sticking around and fogging it as soon as it hatches whether it actually gets sick or not and the Ward is just a precaution in case it does get sick while hatching. But I would never leave a stubborn breed in hatcheries overnight in that scenario. Warding an egg and then leaving it to continue gaining views for hours is basically a waste of a Ward, especially if you know you'll be away for more than 6 hours because then the Ward will wear off and you still won't be there to fog it or anything. 

(And yes, sometimes this means that my eggs don't hatch right at 4d, because if I know I'll be away for a significant amount of time I fog them since that is the only way to truly be sure they stay safe in that time. Taking a little longer to hatch them is worth that peace of mind, though.)