TJ09

DC Lore AMA

Not sure if these has been asked: Is Valkemare a planet? If so, does it exist in the same starsystem as the Earth and if so again, how far from us?

It's a planet in an alternate universe (e.g. one where earth doesn't exist). Valkemare is comparable to Earth, or Nirn (Skyrim).

As far as chickens go, they don't really have any magic properties or anything (except maybe that elusive rainbow chicken.) So, why don't dragons eat all of our chickens?

As far as chickens go, they don't really have any magic properties or anything (except maybe that elusive rainbow chicken.) So, why don't dragons eat all of our chickens?

Perhaps they're Zelda chickens. Hurt one and suddenly you have an angry horde coming at you.

Asking questions about habits or personality of such a broad base ("do dragons ... ", "do humans ...") is almost always a trivial question: across such a large and diverse population, there's bound to be some invididuals that do that thing.

I think that defining what the norms are and to what extent something occurs is more important to fleshing out a world than a 'yes' or 'no'. It may seem trivial as of course, there are always going to be exceptions. But then we know that based on how the norms are, that those exceptions are rarer, more noteworthy or special.

Edited by Daydreamer09

"Immortal" tends to break physics.

Uh, that depends. The non-specified second-person in DC is never explicitly near raw liquid/vapor mana in any of the site's text (I think solid mana is probablly more innert).

That seems highly situational. I doubt any one thing happens.

Gotcha.

Has there ever been something that made humans and some dragons work together?

Reaaaaaaalllly silly questions:

Has anyone actually try to eat a dragon egg like a chicken egg?

Is this world more dangerous or about the same with our world in the Medieval/'whatever time it is' times just with dragons?

Edited by Lady Dragoon

Not really sure if this is a question that has any explanation, but...

How does a scroll owner travel to every biome so quickly? I imagine the desert and the alpine aren't right next to each other, and it'd take a lot of walking, plus the trip back. Although I'm just assuming that they're walking, they could potentially ride a dragon or something, but how would someone without any dragons do it?

EDIT:

Also, how often do people get caught stealing eggs? Even if they aren't close to the mothers sometimes, I imagine some unfortunate people get noticed by mama dragon. And I doubt mama dragon is letting some random person get away with stealing her babies.

Edited by raichuluxray

Not really sure if this is a question that has any explanation, but...

How does a scroll owner travel to every biome so quickly? I imagine the desert and the alpine aren't right next to each other, and it'd take a lot of walking, plus the trip back. Although I'm just assuming that they're walking, they could potentially ride a dragon or something, but how would someone without any dragons do it?

Keep in mind the time scale required for DC.

Dragons don't actually grow up in a week; it takes years.

So seconds map to a much longer time (perhaps even days).

Could you explain how freezing works a little more? And maybe reviving? I think somewhere in this thread you talked about how humans don't really have a lot of magic, but I think "reviving" is quite a powerful spell considering that you are reanimating something to possess life again. And considering that certain dragons have very strong magical properties, why don't they revive their fallen companions? Is there like some kind of magic block or something or is it just like, a forbidden practice for them to tamper with the laws of life?

Keep in mind the time scale required for DC.

Dragons don't actually grow up in a week; it takes years.

So seconds map to a much longer time (perhaps even days).

Fair point.

In that case, how does a scroll owner live long enough to raise hundreds and hundreds of dragons? Do they die and then pass on the scroll to a relative?

I'm assuming humans and dragons once had a big war between them. Then how did they (we?) reach the agreement (and what kind of agreement?) and came to (at least seemingly) peaceful situation nowadays?

Definitely unique creatures. For one, there would need to be some sort of large animal species (singular or plural) that serves as food for meat-eating dragons. I'm not exactly good at coming up with ideas from scratch, so I don't know what such things would look like.

let us have giant wombats in DC.

This is less a question than something I find a bit odd, but when you abandon an egg it says that you put it back where you found it. Is this just that the text is kind of off (I realize it came from pre-biome era) or are there canon-ly different abandoned piles? It's actually pretty odd that you take eggs from all biomes and just dump them in one ambiguous pile, seeing as some come from hot and cold places and now I'm just overthinking it.

Where do the new dragons come from? It seems unlikely that we just suddenly discover entire species that turn out to be extremely common.

Is it totally weird if as opposed to an owner, per se, of my dragons, I have come to think of myself more as like a recorder for/anout them... that has sort of been 'adopted' by a clan of dragons?

Questions:

- Do humans have a currency or it's all done via trades?

- Do humans in the DC world live longer than real life humans?

- Are humans and dragons the only sentient species? We don't get other humanoid races like orcs, trolls, elves o *maybe* Qunari?

Edited since I finally read all the answers.

Edited by Shirubia

I have only read the full up to page three so if it was answered after that don't mind me...

What does death mana do to the body?

Someone (I think Sock) pointed out that they live in what is technically a desert, but there is still plant life.

(I have mentioned that when it came up in the past, yes. Good memory!)

It'd probably be good to go back and revise a lot of the older descriptions.

Some of them were written over half a decade ago...

>_>

<_<

I'm happy to help if need be.

Yes, radical changes [regarding exposure to mana]. I've had a few ideas for what different types of mana do, but it might involve things like earth mana turning people into something that resembles traditional "orcs."

asdfjk; yespls awesomesauce

~

Are potatoes a sacred tuber? I can be serious, I swear...

(Haha, I had a question about if you considered hunting for scales similar to poaching or such but you answered that already.)

Does DC have rings? Planets with rings = win

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Is raising dragons a common thing? I can understand how it wouldn't be for more hostile breeds, but would it be weird to see a Pygmy or something living in a normal household, like an intelligent cat or dog?

Do dragons frequently communicate to humans using telepathy, or do they mostly do their oown thing?

Are dragons considered a hazard? Are people frequently killed by them? Or are they more like bees: don't hurt them and they won't hurt you?

Are the lives of humans and dragons interconnected or fundamentally important to each other in any way?

Is the kidnapping of royalty a significant issue?

But the dragons never breed when we don't ask them to (or at least never produce eggs).

I would actually say, our dragons do produce eggs when we're not looking - maybe even with wild dragons. And these eggs are then being placed where other humans can find them, in the biomes laugh.gif Those other humans wouldn't know who the parents of an egg were, hence the lack of lineage for these "caveborn" eggs.

Perhaps they're Zelda chickens. Hurt one and suddenly you have an angry horde coming at you.

I've always thought that there's certainly something odd about these chickens. How else would you account for the fact that there's not a rooster to be seen but their eggs consistently hatch into baby chicks?

Mana chickens, maybe? (It's maaagic, you kno-o-ow!)

I was wondering if an overlay for the map would be a good idea. Something that people can trigger on or off that adds name labels as they're thought up. It seems like that would be fun. So, over an area of the sea have large fancy letters that spell Valkemare. With maybe a compass rose. And somewhere over the continent of Galsreim have that in slightly smaller letters. And so on as things are named.

ETA: Is there an in-universe explanation for why we have to carry around eggs for five hours after picking them up from a biome?

How about this for an idea: When eggs are first laid, they're really soft and fragile, so until they harden they can't be put through a lot of stress, like moving them a lot.

Which is why vampires biting them are a way around this, because the eggs technically 'die' and aren't as fragile anymore.

How exactly DO cheeses, Dinos and the like fit in?

I have pondered this and pondered it and I never HAVE been able to QUITE make them fit.

Beginning to think I need to do with my cheeses like I did with my Dinos and go with the theory that they are figments of my dragons' imaginations... or perhaps release the lot of them all together.

Edited by Silverswift

Hey so does an elemental alignment affect a dragon's general temperament? Can there be a good destruction aligned dragon for instance or an evil creation aligned?

Does taming a lot of dragons who use magic strengthens your own magic?

And does small exposures to them extend your life span?

How big are dragons generally? Stone dragons are the size of a mountain but in average are they horse sized or bigger?

Does Valkamere due to not needing usual science, does magical technology exist? More advanced and more common? Like air ships that run on wind mana and such?

Can proficient magic users "channel" dragon magic/other people's magic?

Have their been reported cases of people going mad due to constant telepathic communication?

And the most important question...

Does the humans have a great sense of fashion or are they wearing messy simple robes??????

How big is the average dragon/pygmy/drake egg? Are they small enough that dragon keeers could carry a few around in a bag or something? How are some of the larger eggs even carried away?