CryptidUni

Trading named hatchlings

This is kinda straightforward, just let named hatchlings be trade-able or automatically reset name when trade is created.

This feature can be useful because it lets you differentiate between hatchings if you have multiple little dragons with same sprite, and rather than messing up and mixing up their codes.

Some people use the naming as save from accidents but I think "Trade lock" could be a separate feature. For both eggs and hatchlings.
You are able change it back to normal and trade them if you change your mind.

Edited by CryptidUni

i do find it very annoying to have to unname a hatchling to offer it on a trade, only to have someone decline it and i have to re-name! it'd be much more convenient if we could trade named hatchlings, and the names got erased when they were traded! the names wouldnt show on trades, just normal like the way they are.

Edited by InvaderAlexis

I've never really understood why this is a thing at all, honestly. Maybe it has something to do with coding, like having to automatically 'wipe' the name when traded or something? I don't know. It's possible it could be a round-about way of helping people not accidentally trade things (ie, if you have multiple of the same breed just name the one you want to keep and it won't let you trade that one), but that's probably an unintentional thing rather than the actual reason for the restriction. I'd love to know the actual reason behind it, because I don't really understand why it needs to be a thing.

I wouldn't like this. I don't have any idea how often a name has saved me from offering the wrong hatchling in a trade link, but many, many times. I'd lose my biggest trading safety net.

I haven't personally had that issue since I hardly ever name anything before it grows up, but I can see how it might be annoying to others. Perhaps, to keep the security aspect of it, there could be an extra confirmation if you're trading a named hatchling? It would still be considerably less annoying than having to go to the hatchling's actions, unname (reserve the name if needed) and then possibly rename, while it would make it obvious to people who don't trade named things that they're doing something unusual. 

8 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

I wouldn't like this. I don't have any idea how often a name has saved me from offering the wrong hatchling in a trade link, but many, many times. I'd lose my biggest trading safety net.

Honestly this, sort of. I just name what I don't want to trade.

On the other hand, that could be replaced with something that has the same effect (a little lock beside the trade button that could be toggled on and off to grey out the button for that creature (with the toggle for a given creature lasting until it is untoggled manually, i.e. persist across different trading screens), for example, with the button being locked by default for named hatchlings).

I also use naming as a way to know which hatchies I definitely wanted to keep and which are free to trade, but if a lock feature was implemented as mentioned above, I don't see why trading named hatchies couldn't be a thing! It seems like some people would find it useful and less annoying :)

Thank you for your support! I am always open to criticism and more ideas! :)

On 4/10/2021 at 10:13 PM, dragongrrl said:

The phrasing has been edited and Trade lock feature suggestion has been added. Ty!

I remember that, years ago, there used to be an exploit that let you trade named hatchlings. Perhaps it wasn't horribly game breaking, or putting anyone in any sort of disadvantage, but it definitely fell under reverse-engineering practices. Protip: don't.

I would assume it had to do with the way the names are assigned, not sure what it is exactly but I have a suspicion. Reworking the system so it supports trading named hatchlings shouldn't be too big of a task. Yet... I can't see the point of such a rework, imho. If a name really matters to me, I'll use a "dummy" adult dragon as a personal note, during the trading process. It's only a matter of a quick select all-copy-paste action. I don't mind things being as they are; I too am thankful for not being able to accidentally offer the wrong hatchie.

Edited by Orchi'dea