missy_

Allow special characters in dragon names

i only want to note that in some games when it came to characters from different languages. peoples computers/ software or so such couldn't read the character's. resulting in that replacement "box" popping up in names.

Spoiler

main-qimg-fc39f8686b56e0e5fab743708f1c80

Thanks - that was what I thought might happen.

3 hours ago, ACDragonMaster said:

The question seems to be, does it matter what other users think of a given user's name choices, or just that user?  A lot of the back and forth boils down to "I want the option to properly name my dragon using special characters" vs "it'd be annoying to see people misusing special characters" at its core.

So really the question is, is the possibility of maybe running across dragon names you dislike aesthetically (which is already an issue in some ways) outweigh the ability of users to actually use foreign-language names properly?

that said if foreign character support gets added I have a whole clan of dragons that might need to be remained, lol

It's not the aesthetics as such; the way names look doesn't trouble me. If people choose to name their dragon z4xicok8foib that's fine by me. It's literally not being able to READ some of the names in lineages. I have no issue at all with accents. tildes, cedillas and umlauts, but I do think other alphabets could be a problem.

I'm not sure if arguing about non-Latin alphabets is even necessary. Most of the concrete requests we've had on this thread, if memory serves, have been for specific Unicode blocks that extend the Latin character set. I mean, it's unlikely (and inconvenient) anyway for any Latin-alphabet-based website that's not worldwide and multilingual per se to add support for all of the dozens and dozens of writing systems that exist and are available, but a much smaller (and not that unusual) step to include a variety of Latin characters.

Sure - and that I am fine with. I'd especially like umlauts, myself !

But some people would like more - or have at least suggested it:

On 10/25/2022 at 2:06 AM, ACDragonMaster said:

Technically speaking, it's possible to put all kinds of "special characters" (read: non-standard English) in a url.  Chinese and Japanese websites routinely have pages with Chinese characters in the urls, especially shopping pages.  For example, if I go on Yahoo Auctions Japan and do a search for the Suikoden games in Japanese (幻想水滸伝) the url clearly shows that search string:

image.png.8ba6a263178aebc9311bdd92bc27eece.png

Now, depending on a combination of factors, sometimes urls will substitute the unicode codes instead.  For example, the classic %20 for a space.   But it's absolutely 100% doable to have all kinds of non-English characters be part of a url potentially.

Yes Chinese and Japanese and all kinds of things can show up in url but that is a search box query text and not an entry stored in the database. Depending on how the database is setup it might not be happy to take all of those random things lol. I'm not a huge fan of adding in non-English characters but I'm all for special characters like comma period slash if possible, just pointing out it *might* mean a huge revamp if the database was setup in an inconvenient way

And on another note I'm suddenly wondering if the site is using the /[^a-z\s'-]/gi regex for dragon name

46 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

Yes Chinese and Japanese and all kinds of things can show up in url but that is a search box query text and not an entry stored in the database. Depending on how the database is setup it might not be happy to take all of those random things lol. I'm not a huge fan of adding in non-English characters but I'm all for special characters like comma period slash if possible, just pointing out it *might* mean a huge revamp if the database was setup in an inconvenient way

And on another note I'm suddenly wondering if the site is using the /[^a-z\s'-]/gi regex for dragon name

Alright so better example, straight from wikipedia:
image.png.750905f09b428538778bccc59d23b112.png

I'm not saying this HAS TO be implemented.  I'm just saying that if extended latin-based characters are added, it may be just as practical to allow all text unicode characters as just a specific subset.  Will it make things wonky for people who can't read them?  Sure.  But that's just as true of Cyrillic alphabets (assuming we want to include that subset of Latin alphabets, because Cyrillic IS based in it) to someone who doesn't know them as it is of Hangul to non-Korean speakers.