Montre

Adding to the Encyclopedia with Drained Eggshells.

I apologize if this has been suggested before, but is the concept of adding egg flavor texts to the encyclopedia through the sacrifice of new caveborn (and 2g for hybrids- maybe prizes too) eggs (no older than six days and one hour) as a one-time action option for each distinct species? Egg collections do exist in real life, and it does not seem so far-fetched to puncture a dragon egg when magic and magic elements exist in-universe.

It would be another sort of goal to achieve, as well as provide a way to check what is what on an already obtained species, should one forget.

And on the matter of codes, it could be like killed/spoiled eggs: the code would be freed again after so long, but the encyclopedia flavor text would remain.

What do you think?

Edit: Sorry again, it seems there is already something similar to this on the second page? Even though the concept of preserved eggs wasn’t brought up, this may be similar enough to be considered a duplicated topic.

Edited by Montre

How would they be added to the encyclopedia ? I can see wanting to collect eggs on your scroll - there are several suggestions running for that.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How would they be added to the encyclopedia ? I can see wanting to collect eggs on your scroll - there are several suggestions running for that.

They would be added via a command on the options page of the egg itself: where the options kill, release, etc. are. I’m not sure how feasible it would be to code a mechanism to make such an action possible, though.

Edited by Montre

But why would you want them in the encyclopaedia - why not on your own scroll ? Isn't that where you'd want them ?

I'm not sure I understand the suggestion. It kind of sounds like you want a way to preserve eggs on your scroll? But then it also sounds like maybe this is about adding encyclopedia information through killing eggs? Would you mind explaining a little more?

7 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But why would you want them in the encyclopaedia - why not on your own scroll ? Isn't that where you'd want them ?

It would be a one-time action to unlock the flavor text of an eggs species. I figure it would be an action more likely done by people that already have adult dragons of that species on their scroll. With that, it would also be one more collection-esque goal to achieve for people who play dragon cave for that reason. And it could be considered a sort of “paying” in order to unlock the benefit of having a way to help identify eggs in the cave region- the main reason for this suggestion, though not the only one.

I’m sorry if it wasn’t that clear before. I have a problem with conveying things.

Edited by Montre

You can already see the eggs in the encyclopedia entry. I gather that you are asking to have the egg description added? I would like to see the egg description added -- as well as the hatchling and adult descriptions, but wouldn't be in favor of killing an egg to get that.

Or am I still misunderstanding you?

51 minutes ago, Montre said:

Egg collections do exist in real life, and it does not seem so far-fetched to puncture a dragon egg when magic and magic elements exist in-universe.

But why would you have to puncture an egg to get the text in the encyclopedia.

I MUST be missing something here....

Just now, purplehaze said:

You can already see the eggs in the encyclopedia entry. I gather that you are asking to have the egg description added? I would like to see the egg description added -- as well as the hatchling and adult descriptions, but wouldn't be in favor of killing an egg to get that.

Or am I still misunderstanding you?

Yes, the egg flavor text/description.

Eggs in the six cave regions have flavor text but a grey egg with a question mark in the middle. Having the flavor text along with the revealed egg image in the encyclopedia would arguably defeat the very purpose of that setup, but it could be justified/made more fair by using (and therefor giving up) an egg in order to gain the flavor text of a species egg in the encyclopedia?

Sorry if this is also confusing.

I certainly don't see why we should have to kill an egg in order to unlock information about it! That's pretty extreme. All information in the encyclopedia is unlocked by viewing and/or owning the breeds, it doesn't really make sense to add stuff that can only be unlocked by such a serious action. I'm totally in favor of adding the egg description (as well as the adult's descriptions, actually), but they should be unlocked the same way the rest of the encyclopedia is.

3 minutes ago, Montre said:

Eggs in the six cave regions have flavor text but a grey egg with a question mark in the middle. Having the flavor text along with the revealed egg image in the encyclopedia would arguably defeat the very purpose of that setup

Not really. It would be separated far enough that you couldn't just jump from the cave to the description in the encyclopedia and then back to the cave in time to grab the egg if it was something you wanted.

Just now, purplehaze said:

Not really. It would be separated far enough that you couldn't just jump from the cave to the description in the encyclopedia and then back to the cave in time to grab the egg if it was something you wanted.

That’s true.

Maybe I’m overthinking this.

5 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I certainly don't see why we should have to kill an egg in order to unlock information about it! That's pretty extreme. All information in the encyclopedia is unlocked by viewing and/or owning the breeds, it doesn't really make sense to add stuff that can only be unlocked by such a serious action. I'm totally in favor of adding the egg description (as well as the adult's descriptions, actually), but they should be unlocked the same way the rest of the encyclopedia is.

Agreed - the egg already shows on the dragon's encyclopedia page, so why not just add the description after viewing enough eggs?

Or maybe even a separate page of the encyclopedia with the egg images/descriptions (but even that should be unlocked just by viewing/collecting) so that you don't have to go off site.

I agree with the others that there's no need to kill the eggs for something simple like this.

I'm in agreement with the others that I would like it if egg descriptions were added to the dragon's encyclopedia page. And as well I don't see why we would have to kill them in order to achieve that, nor do I support that particular suggestion.

It would be nice to add egg descriptions to the encyclopedia, yes. Enough people (including me) use the wiki anyways for descriptions, so it'd just be a nice QoL improvement to have 'em in the site itself.

And I agree with everyone else on this: I don't think we need/should need to kill an egg to get that feature. It doesn't make much sense in general.