Aie

Special characters in trades still not always working

This thread from a few days ago was locked as the problem was marked solved, but I got the "Inappropriate Message – The provided message contains invalid characters." error just now.  I did not have this problem before, and I could post my trade just fine after I removed the | character which I usually use to separate Haves and Wants, so apparently it is not a problem with : and ,.

//ETA: Apparently 4th time's the charm, and I managed to post the trade without any changes to the message after a few tries, so feel free to lock this topic as well.

//ETA: Nevermind, I have this problem every time I try to post a trade with a vertical bar |.

Edited by Aie

I’m having problems using quotation marks “ ” and apostrophes ‘. I’ve tried several times and still get the error message. I used to be able to put those characters in before, so I’m not sure what’s going on. I also see other trades with those special characters—not sure if it’s just on my end.

8 hours ago, Solaries said:

quotation marks “ ”

This looks like your device is changing the standard quotation marks for so-called "smart" punctuation quotes. If I recall correctly, you'd need to switch that off in your device's keyboard settings, if you're on mobile. (Never had that happen to me - using a proper computer - so I can't tell you where to switch it off on those)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

It always happens if you copy/paste from a word processor...

8 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

This looks like your device is changing the standard quotation marks for so-called "smart" punctuation quotes. If I recall correctly, you'd need to switch that off in your device's keyboard settings, if you're on mobile. (Never had that happen to me - using a proper computer - so I can't tell you where to switch it off on those)

That makes sense. I mostly use my tablet and it has the ‘smart’ quotes built in, I think. But I’ll check into it. Hopefully it will solve the problem.

8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It always happens if you copy/paste from a word processor...

I type in directly to the hub and don’t copy/paste anything because my ‘wants’ vary, lol.

Thank you both for your help!

This problem still persists for me. It seems that it's the vertical bar symbol | that triggers it.

I'm having the same problem.

I just copied my trade message, cancelled the trade and then wanted to put it up again. Got the invalid characters message.

I haven't copied from a different source and I'm always on the same device (wich didn't get updated since I did the exact same thing this morning).

I always work this way and I've never had this problem before.

Check if you didn't accidentally copy anything from around your trade message, like invisible tabs or linebreaks?

On mobile (the browser Safari on an iphone) I can't use the apostrophe in trade messages and get the message "Special characters are not allowed". I had to change "fool's mint" to "fool mint" before it worked, and I can replicate the issue by adding or removing an apostrophe to any trade message. However, I can use the apostrophe on the computer. 

9 hours ago, ADN6 said:

On mobile (the browser Safari on an iphone) I can't use the apostrophe

That's because your phone is trying to outsmart you, literally. It turns your apostrophe into something else using so-called "smart punctuation". I believe you can switch that off in your device's keyboard settings.

7 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

That's because your phone is trying to outsmart you, literally. It turns your apostrophe into something else using so-called "smart punctuation". I believe you can switch that off in your device's keyboard settings.

That did the trick, thank you!

On 8/20/2020 at 10:40 PM, Ruby Eyes said:

Check if you didn't accidentally copy anything from around your trade message, like invisible tabs or linebreaks?

No, I hadn't since I tried entering the exact same message and got the exact same result.

It's weird because I even tried starting over completely, and entering without any symbols and STILL got the error!

Very weird!

It works again now, even with the copy-pasted message. So it's something temporary (well for about 15min for me) so... I guess there won't be a fix possible since it's not a definite problem...