Little-Star

250 book challenge 2020-2021

Book Number: 25

Number Of Pages: 374

Book Title: Life on Air: Memoirs of a Broadcaster

Author: David Attenborough

Summary: A trip through television history with many anecdotes from the life of the beloved David Attenborough.

Book Number: 26

Number Of Pages: 265

Book Title: Dear Rachel Maddow

Author: Adrienne Kisner

Summary: Brynn Harper's life has one steadying force - Rachel Maddow. After writing to Rachel - and actually getting a response - Brynn starts drafting emails to Rachel but never sending them, telling her all about her life.

Edited by Lagie
Updating

Book Number: 36
Number Of Pages: 380
Book Title: Sjuka Själar
Author: Kristina Ohlsson
Summary: (optional)
Rating: (optional)
Review: (optional)

Book Number: 37
Number Of Pages: 352
Book Title: I'll be Gone in the Dark
Author: Michelle McNamara

Book Number: 38
Number Of Pages: 240
Book Title: My Mother, a Serial Killer
Author: Hazel Baron, Janet Fife-Yeomans

Book Number: 39
Number Of Pages: 298
Book Title: Offermossen
Author: Susanne Jansson

Book Number: 40
Number Of Pages: 312
Book Title: Moonshine & Magic
Author: Bella Falls

Book Number: 41
Number Of Pages: 276
Book Title: Fried Chicken & Fangs

Book Number: 42
Number Of Pages: 326
Book Title: Sweet Tea & Spells

Book Number: 43
Number Of Pages: 248
Book Title: Barbecue & Brooms

Book Number: 44
Number Of Pages: 239
Book Title: Collards & Cauldrons

Book Number: 45
Number Of Pages: 352
Book Title: Babes in the Wood
Author: Graham Bartlett

Book Number: 46
Number Of Pages: 178
Book Title: Lucifer's Daughter
Author: Kel Carpenter

Book Number: 47
Number Of Pages: 244
Book Title: Wicked Games
Author: Kel Carpenter

Book Number: 48
Number Of Pages: 247
Book Title: Infernal Desires
Author: Kel Carpenter

Book Number: 49
Number Of Pages: 162
Book Title: Pixie Me Up
Author: Willow Mason

Book Number: 50
Number Of Pages: 162
Book Title: A Bone to Pixie

Book Number: 51
Number Of Pages: 164
Book Title: Pixie-lated

Book Number: 52
Number Of Pages: 272
Book Title: Open Season: Legalized Genocide of Colored People
Author: Ben Crump

Book Number: 53
Number Of Pages: 320
Book Title: Have You Seen Her
Author: Lisa Hall

Book Number: 54
Number Of Pages: 348
Book Title: Den sista önskningen
Author: Andrzej Sapkowski

Book Number: 55
Number Of Pages: 422
Book Title: Ödets svärd
Author: Andrzej Sapkowski

Book Number: 56
Number Of Pages: 336
Book Title: Sacrifice
Author: Philip Freeman

Book Number: 57
Number Of Pages: 434
Book Title: Arvtagaren
Author: Camilla Sten

Book Number: 58
Number Of Pages: 416
Book Title: Dead Witch Walking
Author: Kim Harrison

Book Number: 59
Number Of Pages: 328
Book Title: Goddess of the North
Author: Georgina Kamsika

Book Number: 60
Number Of Pages: 400
Book Title: The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
Author: Grady Hendrix

Edited by tnoelemaK

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 545

Book Title: Small Favor

Author: Jim Butcher

Summary: Harry Dresden returns, making progress training his apprentice and trying to lead a normal life. That's until the Faerie Queen Mab comes to collect on the debt he owes her, throwing him against familiar and very dangerous enemies in an attempt to save a child's life. He has new allies to help him this time around, but that doesn't make it any easier. In fact, it adds new complications to his relationships and powers.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 379

Book Title: Un dieu parmi les hommes (would translate as something like :A God Among Mankind)

Author: Sylvain Johnson

Summary: Carl was found as a baby inside a UFO that landed in the forest. He grew up with his adoptive parents where his mom was trying to teach him goodness while his abusive father was using him and his powers to do bad things. More he gets older the more he tries to distance himself from his father's way. 

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 338

Book Title: Misery

Author: Stephen King

Summary: Paul Sheldon is an author, known best for his romance series centering on the character Misery Chastain. He awakens from a terrible car wreck to find himself not in a hospital, but instead in the home of his "number one fan," the insane former nurse, Annie Wilkes. Furious with the ending of the last Misery novel, she torments and tortures him into writing her a new novel, while Paul desperately looks for a chance to escape if he has any hope of surviving.

Review: I've never seen the movie, but this one is so famous that I knew roughly how it would go. It's the King book I've been most "scared" to read since I knew it would be heavy on the body-horror, and that's what gets to me the most. It took me almost a month to read the first 80 pages or so because I was nervous to really get into it (and this book gets off to a fast start), but then I read the rest of it in two days. It's definitely a page turner and I ended up really enjoying it.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 420

Book Title: Neverland's Library

Editor: Roger Bellini

Summary: A fantasy anthology with stories ranging from grim and gruesome to magical and consorting with the gods. 

@GhostMouse The movie is excellent, Kathy Bates was amazing. I haven't read anything by Stephen King in years, not since The Eyes of the Dragon. Do you recommend it?

@purpledragonclaw Definitely! If you're not completely put off by the body horror, it was an excellent read. Very tense and hard to put down. I'm planning to watch the movie soon. Eyes of the Dragon is still on my to-read list. Did you enjoy it?

Book Number: 36

Number Of Pages: 442

Book Title: Joust

Author: Mercedes Lackey

Summary: Altan serf Vetch, abused by his master, hated all Tians until the day a Jouster... a dragon rider… witnessed the abused and commandeered him to train as a dragon-boy, to care for his dragon Kashet. Vetch quickly realized that Kashet differed from the other dragons; didn’t need to be drugged into tameness. As he learned the reasons why, he became determined to tame a dragon of his own… and with luck, escape back to his own people with his tamed dragon.

Book Number: 37

Number Of Pages: 402

Book Title: Alta

Summary: Vetch, now using his true name Kiron, tamed a dragon and escaped to Alta with her. The leader of Alta’s Jousters welcomed them and listened to his ideas for improving the Jousters. Kiron and the men he was teaching to be dragon-tamers discovered some of the secrets of the Magi… a group of magic-users attempting to use the monarchs as puppets… and quickly found themselves in danger of losing their lives to something more sinister than an enemy’s lance.

Book Number: 38

Number Of Pages: 448

Book Title: Sanctuary

Summary: Having fled Alta and the Magi with several nobles and a handful of Jousters with tamed dragons, Kiron now faces the problems that come with establishing a new settlement. Once known as the Lost City of the Desert, Sanctuary is swiftly becoming the destination of people from both Alta and Tia, fleeing the horrors perpetrated by the Magi, who have moved into Tia as well.

Book Number: 39

Number Of Pages: 291

Book Title: Aerie

Summary: With the expansion of Sanctuary, daily life is becoming difficult in the overcrowded city. Then Kiron finds another city, this one thought to be a mere legend, the city of the ancient cliff-dwellers. As they ease the problem of overpopulation, though, they all must still deal with the difficulties of combining two peoples into one, especially when those two peoples had been at war for most of the last three hundred years.

Book Number: 40

Number Of Pages: 281

Book Title: To Kill a Mockingbird

Author: Harper Lee

Summary: Jean Louise “Scout” Finch, with brother Jem and friend Dill, grow up in Depression-era Alabama, where she learns about human nature, bigotry, compassion, and honor from her lawyer father.

Book Number: 41

Number Of Pages: 446

Book Title: The Godfather

Author: Mario Puzo

Summary: The classic Mafia novel, detailing the lives of the fictional Corleone crime family and their various activities as a war with another family starts over the Corleones’ refusal to become involved in the drug trade.

Book Number: 42

Number Of Pages: 289

Book Title: Wise Guy

Author: Nicholas Pileggi

Summary: Nonfiction. The biography of Henry Hill, operative in the Lucchese crime family. Starting with his after-school job at a Brooklyn cabstand owned by the local capo, it traces his career with the organization all the way through his involvement with the $6 million Lufthansa Airlines robbery and his arrest which led to his decision to enter the Federal Witness Protection Program.

Book Number: 43

Number Of Pages: 259

Book Title: Private Pleasures

Author: Bertrice Small

Summary: After 26 years, Nora learns her husband is leaving her for a younger woman. Worse, he's trying to take everything. Nora finds strength in her friends and in the Channel; a new cable offering for women only, which permits them to live out their wildest fantasies in safety. As her confidence grows, Nora decides to find a way to keep her estranged husband from yanking the financial rug out from under her feet... no matter the cost in the end.

Book Number: 44

Number Of Pages: 258

Book Title: Forbidden Pleasures

Summary: Romance author Emily is given an ultimatum from her publisher: make the switch from sweet to explicitly steamy, or they'll drop her when her current contract is up. The difficulty she won't admit? She's still a virgin, with no experience to draw upon in order to produce well-written erotica. Worse yet, her longtime editor retired, and is replaced by a most attractive man. Could the Channel give her the courage to seduce her new editor so she can finally update her writing style?

Book Number: 45

Number Of Pages: 280

Book Title: Sudden Pleasures

Summary: Ashley is satisfied with her life: a successful business, good friends, and the Channel. But she could lose everything under the terms of her grandfather's will if she isn't married before she's 35. Ryan has a similar problem due to similar terms in his father's will. Introduced by their lawyers, they agree on a marriage of convenience to save their respective businesses. It's supposed to be strictly business, but before long, Ashley wonders if she really needs that subscription to the Channel anymore.

Book Number: 46

Number Of Pages: 274

Book Title: Dangerous Pleasures

Summary: Annie, widowed mother of five, is barely scraping by. Then Annie wins a stay at a newly-opened luxury spa owned by the Channel Corporation. At the end of her stay, she makes a few well-received suggestions, and is asked to open and manage a gift shop within the spa. She accepts, enjoying the opportunity to do something for her family while getting to enjoy her fantasy world in the Channel. But she also learns just how dangerous such pleasures can be, when she discovers just who the CEO really is.

Book Number: 47

Number Of Pages: 290

Book Title: Passionate Pleasures

Summary: Miss Kathy has always behaved as expected for a small-town librarian, mainly because she has been living out her literary fantasies in the Channel for years. The new principal of the local middle school would like to change that, but she is reluctant to take a chance on a real-life romance... until the CEO of the Channel Corporation steps in. An old associate of her family, he's always had a soft spot for Kathy, and revokes her access to the Channel to show her that happiness in real life can be hers for the taking.

Book Number: 48

Number Of Pages:

Book Title: Guilty Pleasures

Summary: Five short stories of erotic fantasy, set within the Pleasures series universe.

@GhostMouse Absolutely! I was honestly surprised because I didn't expect King to be able to write fantasy, but it was very good. I'm sorry he didn't write any more.

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 335

Book Title: Une enquête d'Oswald Taylor : Les pages perdues de Kells (would translate as: A Oslwald Taylor's Investigation: The Lost Pages of Kells

Author: Simon Rousseau 

Summary: 4 University teachers got kidnapped by an organisation to translate anciant documents that will bring them to an unknown treasure. Meanwhile Oswalt tries to find them when he realised that his uncle (one of the teachers) and 3 other people desapeared. 

Removed since it does not count towards my total.

Edited by purpledragonclaw
Removing invalid entry.

16 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 282

Book Title: Heartwood: Non-Binary Tales of Sylvan Fantasy

Summary: A comic anthology from all-LGBTQIA creators where each story features a forest theme. 

@Little-Star This one is in a gray area, since it's not manga, it's a comic anthology. I'm willing to not have it count towards my total if it doesn't fit the requirements, but I thought I should post it just in case.

I checked it a bit online and seeing it's a comic book it wont count for not enough pages. The rules only say manga but FAQ aply the rule to also comic books:

Q: Can I count comic books when they have less than 500 pages but are part of a series?

A: In this case, if you can reach 500 pages by adding several books of the same series, it will count. Example of what you can post as the title: The Walking Dead vol. 1-4.

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 308

Book Title: The Bake Shop: An Amish Marketplace Novel

Author: Amy Clipston

Summary: Christiana Kurtz opens her baking stall at the local market and meets Jeff Stotzfus on her first day. The two forge a friendship but Christiane's father forbids her to see Jeff when he learns Jeff uses electricity in his stall. Can the two friends trust in God's plans for the future?

Book Number: 28

Number Of Pages: 211

Book Title: It's Not the End of the World

Author: Judy Blume

Summary: Karen's world is ending. Her parents are getting a divorce. But maybe if she can get them together in the same room, the Newman family can be its old self again.

On 10/4/2020 at 6:26 AM, Little-Star said:

I checked it a bit online and seeing it's a comic book it wont count for not enough pages. The rules only say manga but FAQ aply the rule to also comic books:

Q: Can I count comic books when they have less than 500 pages but are part of a series?

A: In this case, if you can reach 500 pages by adding several books of the same series, it will count. Example of what you can post as the title: The Walking Dead vol. 1-4.

Thank you, I'll edit the post to remove it from my count!

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 144

Book Title: A Guided Tour of Hell: A Graphic Memoir

Author: Samuel Bercholz

Summary: A Buddhist student suffers a near-death experience that took his consciousness to the hell realms. His journey, people he met, and Buddhas who guided him are included, along with Buddhist teachings that helped him come to grips with his time in the hell realms.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Book Number: 49

Number Of Pages: 369

Book Title: Rosamund

Summary: Sent to King Henry VII's court to keep her uncle from stealing her inheritance, Rosamund Bolton befriends Katherine of Aragon as well as Meg Tudor. She also catches the eye of young Prince Henry, though she rebuffs his advances. Betrothed to a knight of the court, she returns to her estate, but when her husband dies, she is left vulnerable to her uncle's schemes once more.

Book Number: 50

Number Of Pages: 371

Book Title: Until You

Summary: Having eliminated the problem of her greedy uncle, Rosamund sets off to the Scots court to visit her old friend Meg Tudor. She is pursued by a persistent suitor, but instead meets the handsome Earl of Glenkirk and accompanies him to the Mediterranean duchy of San Lorenzo on a secret mission for James IV. Upon their return, the pair make plans to wed, but tragedy soon parts them forever.

Book Number: 51

Number Of Pages: 378

Book Title: Phillipa

Summary: Rosamund's oldest daughter Phillipa loves court and rejects the very idea of inheriting Friarsgate, believing no man of the court would willingly leave it for a northern estate. Her mother's business partner and distant cousin matches Phillipa with the Earl of Witton, a man who has spent much of his adult life in the king's service. The pair accompany their monarchs to the great gathering in France known as The Field of the Cloth of Gold... and uncover an assassination plot beyond anything they would have believed possible.

Book Number: 52

Number Of Pages: 407

Book Title: The Last Heiress

Summary: Rosamund's youngest daughter Elizabeth became lady of Friarsgate, ruling the manor alone from the age of 14. Now 22, she faces a journey to Henry VIII's court to try to find a husband in order to have an heir of her own. There, she scandalizes her family by befriending the king's beloved, Anne Boleyn. After rejecting the court fops, Elizabeth returns home and falls into the arms of an attractive Highlander sent south by his father to find better sheep to improve their family's flocks. But can they overcome their pride enough to find happiness?

Book Number: 53

Number Of Pages: 600

Book Title: Love and Glory

Author: Jeane Westin

Summary: During WWII, four young women answer the call to arms, joining the first class of female officer candidates to become part of the very beginning of the Women's Army Corps. Their friendship spans the globe, from their basic training in Iowa, to the beaches of Normandy and the small but military-crucial islands of the Pacific, as they all hope for a bright future when the war is over.

Book Number: 54

Number Of Pages: 453

Book Title: The Stork Club

Author: Iris Rainer Dart

Summary: Judith never had a steady boyfriend, so she had two children by donor insemination. 50-year-old commitment-phobe Rick gained his son through open adoption. Lanie and Mitch had their baby via surrogate after Lanie's emergency hysterectomy. And Ruthie and Sheldon, best friends and writing partners, also had their baby via artificial insemination, then discovered that the gay Sheldon was HIV-positive. They all bond with each other over their children in a parental support group especially put together for unconventional families.

Book Number: 55

Number Of Pages: 367

Book Title: The Silence of the Lambs

Author: Thomas Harris

Summary: FBI agent-in-training Clarice Starling is asked to interview serial killer Hannibal Lecter, chosen partly for her background in psychology and partly because all the senior agents in the Behavioral Sciences division of the Bureau are busy trying to track down an active serial killer known as Buffalo Bill. But it seems Dr. Lecter knows far more than he's admitted to... and finds Clarice and her pluck entertaining enough that he starts dropping her clues to the Buffalo Bill case.

Book Number: 56

Number Of Pages: 718

Book Title: The Velvet Jungle

Author: Julie Ellis

Summary: Vanessa's ambition is to become a fashion designer. Tina wants fame on the silver screen. Pat follows her parents' plan and become a political wife to a man on the road to the White House. Vanessa and Tina meet Pat in New York City during WWII and they become fast friends... a friendship that spans the globe and lasts for decades, through hardships, triumphs, heartbreak, and happy endings.

Book Number: 57

Number Of Pages: 559

Book Title: Loyalties

Summary: Anne and Felicia are distant cousins, who never met until their mutual relative leaves control of her lumber empire jointly in their hands... with a catch. The two must work together in the company, learning the business inside and out, for the next twenty years. At that time, they will jointly take ownership. But if either of them walks away before then, they both lose it all.

Book Number: 58

Number Of Pages: 604

Book Title: Commitment

Summary: At the age of nine, Carol's life suddenly changes from one of privilege to one of hardship when her father loses everything with the stock market crash of 1929 and then kills himself. Despite being forced into first work and then marriage in order to support herself and her mother, she's determined to complete her education and dreams of becoming an architect. Widowed at seventeen, she continues working towards that goal, finding love along the way with a brilliant writer from Georgia.

Book Number: 10

Number Of Pages: 294

Book Title: Une enquête d'Oswald Taylor : Les Sacrifiés Inconnus (would translate as: An Oswald Taylor's Investigation : The Unknown Sacrificed ?)

Author: Simon Rousseau

Summary: While Pierre and Oswald were traveling in Paris, an attack on someone with a lethal gas happened next to their hotel. The gas used was largely used in the first world war and they decided to investigate to find out who did it. 

Book Number: 29

Number Of Pages: 217

Book Title: Unforgettable

Author: Karin Kallmaker

Summary: Singer Rett Jamison is finally a success and returns to her small town for her high school reunion connecting with old friends, new friends, and old girlfriends.

Book Number: 30

Number Of Pages: 216

Book Title: Snow Falls

Author: Gerri Hill

Summary: Ryan planned to spend the winter in her cabin alone but when she rescues Jen from an avalanche, her plans change.

Book Number: 31

Number Of Pages: 333

Book Title: Station Eleven

Author: Emily St. John Mandel

Summary: Imagine a life after the end of the world. What would you miss?

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 463

Book Title: The Dinosaur Princess

Author: Victor Milan

Summary: The third and final book in the Dinosaur Knights series follows deeper intrigues between the rulers of Paradise, the Grey Angels themselves, and the Fae. More characters, like Duke Falk's mother, make an appearance, along with more of the Grey Angels and their plots to destroy humanity, the Fae, and Aphrodite, custodian of Terra. 

Victor Milan died before this series could be completed, so this is the final book. It was intended to be a 6-part series, but ended with his death after book 3.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages:331

Book Title: Dévoria: L'épée de la Gloire (would translate as Devoria: The Sword of Glory)

Author: Alexandre Charbonneau

Summary: Nyrion is a knight serving his Lord, one day the magical borders of his world desapear and creatures from a new world started attacking them. More things happens, the more Nyrion start rebelling againt the Lord. 

Book Number: 32

Number Of Pages: 469

Book Title: Once in a Lifetime

Author: Cathy Kelly

Summary: Ingrid Fitzgerald is about to discover a secret that will shatter her world.

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 102 (very short children book)

Book Title: Dead : Le plus nul des pirates (would translate as Dead: The worst pirate)

Author: David Bédard

Summary: Deaddy is the son of the pirate chief. On his 11th birthday, his father decided to let him take control of the ship. 

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 175

Book Title: Seven Ghostly Spins

Author: Patricia Bossano ft. Kelsey E. Gerard

Summary: This is a collection of seven ghost stories, many of which are based on real people and places. Perfect collection for Halloween reading.

Book Number: 33

Number Of Pages: 272

Book Title: Call Me Hope

Author: Gretchen Olson

Summary: A bully is ruining eleven- year-old Hope's life and she doesn't know what to do. Who can she go to for help when the bully is her mother?

Book Number: 34

Number Of Pages: 309

Book Title: The Wolf Princess

Author: Cathryn Constable

Summary: Sophie has always dreamed of winter, so she is thrilled when she gets to travel to Russia, but she finds more than she expected there.

Book Number: 35

Number Of Pages: 368

Book Title: The Chilbury Ladies' Choir

Author: Jennifer Ryan

Summary: As England becomes embroiled in the early days of WWII, the women of Chilbury forge an uncommon bond.

Book Number: 36

Number Of Pages: 413

Book Title: 500 Miles From You

Author: Jenny Colgan

Summary: What will happen when a guy from a rural Scottish Village and a girl from the bustle of urban London switch jobs - and discover each other?

Edited by Lagie
Adding books!

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 293

Book Title: Les Contes Interdits  : Peau d'âne (could translate as The Forbidden Tales : Donkeyskin)

Author: Steve Laflamme 

Book Number: 13

Number Of Pages: 565

Book Title: Turn Coat

Author: Jim Butcher

Summary: Harry Dresden returns, this time offering shelter to a Warden who harassed and tortured him in his younger years falsely accused of murder. Harry must figure out who the true murderer is, in only three days. Plenty of time for the best PI wizard in Chicago.