trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

28 minutes ago, Astreya said:

40 USD?! That's outrageous! In Germany we can buy LFTs from 1.75 EUR on. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will stay Covid-free!

yeah, a little insane.

so far i'm still good.  my boss wants me to test tomorrow, and then go into the office on thursday.  and, since there's a second test in the box, test on friday as well.  someone in our other office had a very mild case (scratchy throat) and 5 days after she was exposed, she was negative, but two days after that was positive.  i was in the office with out assistant manager on a friday morning, so i consider friday my Day 1, so i'm testing on days 6 and 8.

my fingers are crossed too!

January 2nd stats for The Bahamas: 477 cases (410 on my island) for a new total of 26,011. Positivity rate... 48%! :o 43 people in hospital (up 9), 4 in the ICU (no change). No additional deaths.

January 3rd stats for The Bahamas: 315 cases (279 on my island) for a new total of 26,326. Positivity rate... 44.5%! :o 58 people in hospital (up 15), 3 in the ICU (down 1). No additional deaths.

And still our stooopid staff persist in entering the main building unmasked (the kennel staff have outdoor workspaces so they are allowed to be unmasked out there). :unsure:

On 1/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, Varislapsi said:

Situation in Finland: you can have a beer at the pub (restricted hours) or party on a cruise ship, or go shopping in the after Christmas sales – but swimming pools, sports halls, gyms, dance studios and other facilities for free-time activities (other than drinking) are closed and all cultural events have been cancelled so no worries? Sigh...

Yeaaaah that doesn't make much sense.  Similar things in the US on-and-off over the past two years, it kind of feels very arbitrary and strange the types of places/activities the governments deem 'safe' vs 'unsafe'. 

So, delayed reporting/data/etc, but since last Thursday we've had over SIX HUNDRED confirmed cases reported.  Uh....... Just...... How? I just... What? (Remember back when, how I posted about getting single-digit case numbers per week??)  When deaths are reported it gives the dates the deaths happened, but not for just individual cases, so there is no way to know how far back these newly-confirmed cases were. At this point I just have to assume that our relieving-low case numbers the first half of 2021 were relatively inaccurate and all these 'new' cases are basically just correcting older data because yeah restrictions are lifted and such but I really can't imagine anywhere near that number of new cases here so quickly. Regardless, this does not help my anxiety about this whole thing. 

Long-distance hugs and health vibes to everyone in this thread!

this morning's test (5 or 6 days after exposure, depending on your counting method) - negative! :D 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:22 AM, trystan said:

update: i'm still fine.  boss (M-Th job, NOT where i was exposed) wants me to have a negative test before i go back to work.  which i can do tomorrow morning. :D 

oof: back in november, i got two boxes of the Binax home test (2 tests in a box) for $24 at a CVS.  now?  saturday i got two tests for $20, also at a CVS (but each of these boxes has one test each).  called yesterday and this morning - CVS, Rite-Aid and Walgreen's near me are sold out.  (some of the CVSs i called even answered the phone "thank you for calling CVS, we're sold out of home covid tests. how many i help you today?")  i found the Binax test at a local, independent pharmacy - for $40 a box.  oof. (i got two boxes)

I am in Connecticut and got 4 boxes with 2 in a box for $24 each plus tax. at Walgreens  Someone posted it in our local FB group so it took 10 minutes to park at the store, but they must have gotten close to a pallet of them as it took a couple of hours to sell them out.

I used 5 of my 8 tests so far.

First round -my mother neg, my son pos, me neg

Second round -my mother neg, me positive. No need to retest my son when the hospital said to quarantine him. The ER doctor says false positives are extremely rare. He got lab results back showing him as positive.  My mother is 92.

I have done 7 contactless pick ups in the past week, as not everybody carries everything, and Walmart seems to be the only place around to have creamy Skippy peanut butter. One pickup was for dog food but the distributor is out of the cat food that I need, so I had to pay $2.50 a can to get it contactless from a different store. It should have been around $1.80 or $1.90.  First home delivery opening is after the 11th.

I keep thinking it was 12 of us here at Christmas but there were 14.

My sister, BIL, their 2 kids and my niece's bf  4 out of 5 are positive

My niece and her husband  both negative, they both work from home 

My nephew and his wife  both negative  they switched to working remotely right after Christmas

My nephew and his fiance  he is neg, she just tested positive, but she took a leave of absence from work

My mother, son and myself  now 2 out of 3 are positive

So 7 out of 14 positives. I believe that I am the only boostered one that tested positive, but my son and I have to share a bathroom. My son is the only unvaxxed out of the 14. He fears the vaccine more than the disease.

My brother and his wife didn't come over for Christmas. My brother is afraid of needles and his wife doesn't want to be vaccinated.  Her family has Covid.

----------------

Do you know what I want right now? A CUP OF COFFEE. I don't own a coffeepot, and only drink 1 large Dunkin Donuts coffee light with 3 sugars. Should be no sugar, but I have been weaning myself down from 5.  I can't see using DoorDash or one of those services for a coffee, and since I tested positive, it would be irresponsible of me to use the drive thru.

1 hour ago, PrincessLucy said:

I am in Connecticut and got 4 boxes with 2 in a box for $24 each plus tax. at Walgreens  Someone posted it in our local FB group so it took 10 minutes to park at the store, but they must have gotten close to a pallet of them as it took a couple of hours to sell them out.

i'm in PA.

after i do the test on friday, and then my college daughter does one (just for peace of mind) sunday, i'll have one box left that has two tests in it.  i might do another round of calling to see if i can find more tests at either a walgreens or CVS.  there's three walgreens near me, and two of them are temporarily closed.  i wonder if that's due to staffing issues due to covid.

1 hour ago, PrincessLucy said:

My son is the only unvaxxed out of the 14. He fears the vaccine more than the disease.

My brother and his wife didn't come over for Christmas. My brother is afraid of needles and his wife doesn't want to be vaccinated.  Her family has Covid.

complete opposite end of the spectrum - hubby is also afraid of needles... but he's more afraid of covid.  he's completely vaxxed AND boosted.

Edited by trystan

January 4th stats for The Bahamas: 375 cases (317 on my island) for a new total of 26,701. Positivity rate... 47,2%! :o 71 people in hospital (up 13), 4 in the ICU (up 1). No additional deaths.

And... our receptionist is out, quarantining as her husband's positive, our adoptions coordinator is out, quarantining as her son's positive, and one of my volunteers did not come today as she's been exposed and is awaiting test results.  The Board is discussing closing the shelter to the public (but haven't said anything about my shop; seriously, I think they forget I even exist).

Lagie's Stealth Shop! Buy from it...if you can find it! In seriousness, stay safe *hug*

So approximatley 1 in 15 people were supposed to have a form of COVID in England on New Year's Day,  and yesterday we recorded nearly 200,000 new infections. Numbers that anywhere other than the USA would be in shock over,  but here? Boris decided that the NHS will just have to face being 'temporarily overwhelmed.'

I'm sorry. What? Your grand solution to this ongoing pandemic is to shrug your shoulders and say "screw it, we'll just let people die in under-resourced hospitals and let them take the blame?" My dude, you said the quiet part of your plan out loud. You have openly been doing it for nearly two years now, you just actually finally admitted it.

So the government in my province has now said there will not be any more restrictions and it's "time for personal responsibility." 😅 I'm definitely feeling a little uneasy about this. When our government got rid of the mask mandate mid-2021, I saw way too many faces in the grocery store. 

On 1/6/2022 at 1:15 PM, Kestra15 said:

Lagie's Stealth Shop! Buy from it...if you can find it! In seriousness, stay safe *hug*

Thanks! *hugs*

January 5th stats for The Bahamas: 421 cases (378 on my island) for a new total of 27,122. Positivity rate... 36.1%! :o 84 people in hospital (up 13), 4 in the ICU (no change). No additional deaths.

Now our only vet is out (the other's on vacation). He went for a Covid test so he could travel to another island tomorrow, and lo, it was positive... and I had a same room close quarters conversation with him yesterday. :unsure:

Edited by Lagie

Researchers here are predicting 40,000 daily cases by end of the month. Hospitals are near to collapsing, and are asking the governor for emergency orders to discharge patients without family consent - I guess there are about 200 people taking up space that should be in nursing homes but their families aren't responding to authorize it. That and the hospitals want more staff and resources of course, some talk about deploying the National Guard. There are no mandatory restrictions IF you wear a mask, and many places also require proof of vaccination, but even so they are asking people to stop all in-person activity for the next 3 weeks (but who will listen?). This is all because of the Omicron variant.

Edited by Aniia

January 6th stats for The Bahamas: 388 cases (344 on my island) for a new total of 27,510. Positivity rate... 36.1%! :o 83 people in hospital (down 1), 6 in the ICU (up 2). No additional deaths.

Weirdly, even with this rather bleak outlook - http://www.tribune242.com/news/2022/jan/05/dire-predictions-how-bad-it-could-be/?news - our government seems to think we're already cresting this wave.  I don't think so...

On 1/6/2022 at 9:31 PM, Lagie said:

Now our only vet is out (the other's on vacation). He went for a Covid test so he could travel to another island tomorrow, and lo, it was positive... and I had a same room close quarters conversation with him yesterday. :unsure:

The rapid test appears to have been a false positive; the PCR test he then did was negative, as was my rapid test this morning, thank goodness.

@Lagie

@trystan

That's so good to hear that you both were negative!

@PrincessLucy

I really hope that all of your family who tested positive will come through this ordeal with a light or even asymptotic course of disease!

@Kestra15

I followed the situation in the UK a bit a some of it (and with great incredulity at the inaction of your government) is reported even in German media. I so hope you'll be able to pull through as well as you can!

In Germany we more than likely still don't have the real case numbers yet (they are expected for mid-January) as testing and everything was not really up to par during the holidays. The local health offices only had marginal staff due to vacations, same with the laboratories, and of course many medical doctors preferred to be on vacation, too, so there was less official PCR-testing than normal. (There were still many LFT testing places open even on Christmas and New Year (all free of cost), but their results aren't officially counted here.) So the low numbers between XMas and New Year (compared with many other countries) were likely a severe undercount - and one can see this as our case numbers start to rocket up now, too.

On January 7, the RKI reported 58 277 new Covid-19 cases for Germany, but at least the number of people in hospital hasn't increased much (yet) even though it is still pretty high (there are 3378 people with Covid-19 in ICU, 2032 of them needing artificial respiration). Sadly the number of people dying by and/or with Covid-19 (the RKI doesn't differentiate here) is still much to high - 252 persons succumbed to the disease on Friday alone, thus there are now 113 705 casualties of the disease since the start of the pandemic.

Our new daily cases curve from 1 March 2020 to 7 January 2022 with the deceptive holiday dips (you can see it for2021, too):

covid.png

The red line shows the 7-day-average as our weekend numbers are always imprecise, too - they are usually reported on Monday or Tuesday after the weekend. [Source]

And as usual here's the local report from where I live (with a newer population number from the city, not the older one from Wikipedia):

--------------

As of today, Friday, January 7, 08:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1115 (+26) active cases, while 16 115  (+145)  people are considered to have recovered. 408 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1476 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 638 (+171) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 358.8 (+16.2) / Incidence for NRW: 291.4 (+28.7).

Currently 38 (-2) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (-2) of them in intensive care, 1 (-2) of them needing artificial respiration.

--------------

As of today, Saturday, January 8, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1151 (+36) active cases, while 16 196  (+81)  people are considered to have recovered. 408 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1018 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 755 (+117) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 381.3 (+22.5) / Incidence for NRW: 320.5 (+29.1).

Currently 30 (-8) persons are treated in hospital, with 3 (-1) of them in intensive care, 2 (+1) of them needing artificial respiration.

--------------

As of today, Sunday, January 9, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1290 (+139) active cases, while 16 222  (+26)  people are considered to have recovered. 409 (+1) persons sadly died. 1018 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 921 (+166) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 445.2 (+63.9) / Incidence for NRW: 351.0 (+30.5).

Currently 32 (+2) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (+1) of them in intensive care, 2 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 155 714 (1st jab, 74.30%) and 148 065  (2nd jab, 70.65%) and 114 912 (3rd jab, 54.83%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Jan 5, 2022).

Source: Stadt Oberhausen

Edited by Astreya

3 minutes ago, Astreya said:

That's so good to hear that you both were negative!

and my friday morning test was also negative, so double yaay! :D 

The US cases are high (haven't looked today, and I don't really want to know). I just know that they're very high. Like hitting new records high. It's not great. 

Looks like the Omicron wave is now building up in Germany, too. The 411 Kreise (municipalities and cities) all have a 7-day-incidence over 100, 390 over 200, and 54 of them surpass 500. 

--------------

As of today, Monday, January 10, 10:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1260 (-30) active cases, while 16 316 (+94)  people are considered to have recovered. 409 (+-0) persons sadly died. 1145 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 17 985 (+64) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 433.8 (-11.4) / Incidence for NRW: 361.5 (+10.5).

Currently 33 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, with 3 (-1) of them in intensive care, 1 (-1) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 155 714 (1st jab, 74.30%) and 148 065  (2nd jab, 70.65%) and 114 912 (3rd jab, 54.83%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Jan 5, 2022).

--------------

As of today, Tuesday, January 11, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1236 (-24) active cases, while 16 410 (+94)  people are considered to have recovered. 411 (+2) persons sadly died. 2067 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 057 (+72) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 433.8 (-11.4) / Incidence for NRW: 361.5 (+10.5).

Currently 37 (+4) persons are treated in hospital, with 2 (-1) of them in intensive care, 2 (+1) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 155 930 (1st jab, 74.41%) and 148 650  (2nd jab, 70.92%) and 118 532 (3rd jab, 56.56%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Jan 9, 2022).

Edited by Astreya

I'm so worried about Omicron! Many of my friends have caught it, though they're fully vaccinated. I am feeling overwhelmed, hopeless and helpless. It's feeling inevitable we'll all catch it at this point, and that makes me really mad.
 Thankfully, I can stay home most of the time, but I do have to go out sometimes, and it's become nerve-wracking. I'm just worn out. I can't help wonder what the next mutation will bring.

9 hours ago, Uther_Pendragon said:

I'm so worried about Omicron! Many of my friends have caught it, though they're fully vaccinated. I am feeling overwhelmed, hopeless and helpless. It's feeling inevitable we'll all catch it at this point, and that makes me really mad.
 Thankfully, I can stay home most of the time, but I do have to go out sometimes, and it's become nerve-wracking. I'm just worn out. I can't help wonder what the next mutation will bring.

Something more virulent, but less debilitating.

You're right, we will probably get it at some point. The initial version was terrible, Alpha and Beta pretty bad, Delta wasn't great, Omicron isn't fun...but each iteration gets easier to transmit but less intense. I don't mean we should ignore and belittle it - no matter what idiots say, it's not "just the flu" - but it is getting weaker each time a strain dominates.

Coronaviruses are one of the groups that make up the common cold, so the actual family is not new and is in established circulation, so we already scientifically know a lot about them. We have effective vaccines that we can refine and increase effectiveness, like we do for the flu. We are much more knowledgeable about supportive treatment, so more of the critically ill survive and even thrive. There are even newly emerging drugs made to directly tackle COVID-19, which we can again study and refine as they hit broad useage.

So while the last two years have been surreal, I do believe in light at the end of the tunnel. I think we'll see another variant or two this year but they likely will be even less of a toll on the body, and I think we will see COVID-19 finally be something we can realistically live with, like we do with influenza. We can vaccinate, we can isolate, we can treat directly and supportively, and it stops becoming the killer it has been.

We just need to hang in a little longer, keep our vigilance up a bit more, and then we can sadly unlearn some of our habits from the last two years.

The number of new cases per 100 000 residents during the last two weeks is now over 4300 in my city... and it still seems to be going up. 😿 It isn't even the whole truth since the new recommendation is that otherwise healthy adults with mild symptoms don't need to be tested (and the waiting time for the test could be many days, anyway).

My little sister got symptoms on Monday and tested positive at home. I heard that she's already better, fortunately, after being sick for just one day. She lives with my mom who's over 60 so I'm still quite worried about them both! I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that my mom would avoid it somehow, or at least wouldn't get symptoms thanks to her three doses of the vaccine. I also had my third vaccination today since I managed to book an earlier time. No migraine symptoms so far (phew! Though last time the attack came on the following day...) and I can even use my arm, which is very strange because after the first two doses I lost the strenght in it completely and it was almost numb. Hopefully the vaccine wasn't old. 😸 And, hopefully, it will help me to stay healthy.

I became a part of the statistics where I live--thank hell I'm already recovered now. Just waiting six more days in isolation...

3 hours ago, Kestra15 said:

Something more virulent, but less debilitating.

You're right, we will probably get it at some point. The initial version was terrible, Alpha and Beta pretty bad, Delta wasn't great, Omicron isn't fun...but each iteration gets easier to transmit but less intense. I don't mean we should ignore and belittle it - no matter what idiots say, it's not "just the flu" - but it is getting weaker each time a strain dominates.

Coronaviruses are one of the groups that make up the common cold, so the actual family is not new and is in established circulation, so we already scientifically know a lot about them. We have effective vaccines that we can refine and increase effectiveness, like we do for the flu. We are much more knowledgeable about supportive treatment, so more of the critically ill survive and even thrive. There are even newly emerging drugs made to directly tackle COVID-19, which we can again study and refine as they hit broad useage.

So while the last two years have been surreal, I do believe in light at the end of the tunnel. I think we'll see another variant or two this year but they likely will be even less of a toll on the body, and I think we will see COVID-19 finally be something we can realistically live with, like we do with influenza. We can vaccinate, we can isolate, we can treat directly and supportively, and it stops becoming the killer it has been.

We just need to hang in a little longer, keep our vigilance up a bit more, and then we can sadly unlearn some of our habits from the last two years.

Thank you so much, Kestra15. Reading your thoughtful post helped my anxiety a lot, and I'm regrouping and ready to keep on fighting the fight.

My husband is very high risk, and that's where most of my worry sits. With his lungs, I worry that even a mild case could be deadly.  We will get the 4th booster as soon as it's available.

I think the other half of my concern is what could come after one successfully beats a bout of covid. There's still so much unknown, and then there's the info about micro clots, people getting diagnosed with diabetes after, long-covid, lung scarring, neuro issues, liver or kidney problems, and so many other scary things. It's really interesting, yet it's terrifying.

Also, since covid is viral, will it/can it stay in our systems, and pop out later, like how chicken pox can lead to having shingles? 

I do realize and celebrate that this pandemic has brought good things, like the possibility of using mRNA vaccines for cancer, HIV, RSV, flu and more. Work-from-home becoming more mainstream, and curbside shopping too, which is great for people like me, who are disabled. I just wish we didn't have to go through all this to get there. 

I saw that Calif is allowing healthcare workers that test positive, but have no symptoms, can continue to work and don't need to quarantine! I was shocked and dismayed to hear that.  
I was also thinking that the US numbers might be really skewed if people that take the at-home tests don't report positives to the health dept.

Varislapsi, I hope your mom stays clear and your sister feels better quickly. Yay for no after effects from your booster!

Hanelli, I'm sorry it got you, but glad you've recovered!

On 1/12/2022 at 4:24 AM, Uther_Pendragon said:

I'm so worried about Omicron!

@Kestra15 very nicely summarised how things will likely develop. For a virus the best thing is to become less dangerous but more easily spreadable as it is "in its best interest" not to debilitate or kill its host. The most problematic viruses are those that are the least adapted to humans, and when SARS-CoV-2 made the jump from some wild animal in China to the first humans, the human immune system had no idea what to do with it, so it could be easily overwhelmed, thus leading to very severe cases and death.

The more humans got infected (the current official count is around 317 million cases), the more variants of the virus could pop up, each of them better at spreading and less aggressive as this helps it to spread even further. The more severe an illness gets, the more likely people are strictly isolated, which is a cul-de-sac for the virus as it is more likely to die out that way. So it is an evolutionary advantage for it to become less severe as then people are more likely to run around with it and pass it on, which is the only "raison d'être" of a virus.

As for how pandemics can turn out, you only need to look at the "Spanish" flu, which after about two years suddenly disappeared, too. It started out very deadly, but in time the human body geared up its immune system and the pandemic fizzled away.  Nowadays there are more options to help people like the vaccine(s) and various meds that get developed. Plus the intensive care has developed quite a bit

On 1/12/2022 at 4:59 PM, Varislapsi said:

My little sister got symptoms on Monday and tested positive at home. I heard that she's already better, fortunately, after being sick for just one day. She lives with my mom who's over 60 so I'm still quite worried about them both!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that all of you will be protected as well as you can by the vaccine!

On 1/12/2022 at 5:02 PM, Hanelli said:

I became a part of the statistics where I live--thank hell I'm already recovered now. Just waiting six more days in isolation...

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this was the last you saw of this drat virus for a long time!

On 1/12/2022 at 6:19 PM, Uther_Pendragon said:

I think the other half of my concern is what could come after one successfully beats a bout of covid. There's still so much unknown, and then there's the info about micro clots, people getting diagnosed with diabetes after, long-covid, lung scarring, neuro issues, liver or kidney problems, and so many other scary things. It's really interesting, yet it's terrifying.

Also, since covid is viral, will it/can it stay in our systems, and pop out later, like how chicken pox can lead to having shingles?

This is in fact a problem, but unfortunately we will only know about this in a few years. The problem with such "sleeper viruses" is that there is no evolutionary pressure for them to lose such long-term features as by that time they already completed their mission while the person was infectious during the beginning of the illness.

We can just hope that science will come up with anti-viral meds that can prime the immune system to purge the body of such hidden viruses, too.

--------------

As of today, Wednesday, January 12, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1351 (+115) active cases, while 16 482 (+72)  people are considered to have recovered. 411 (+-0) persons sadly died. 2196 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 244 (+187) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 475.3  (+30.6) / Incidence for NRW: 395.7 (+14.0).

Currently 39 (+2) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+3) of them in intensive care, 2 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 155 930 (1st jab, 74.41%) and 148 650  (2nd jab, 70.92%) and 118 532 (3rd jab, 56.56%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Jan 9, 2022).

--------------

As of today, Thursday, January 13, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1435 (+84) active cases, while 16 660 (+178)  people are considered to have recovered. 411 (+-0) persons sadly died. 2318 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 506 (+262) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 497.7  (+22.4) / Incidence for NRW: 416.7 (+21.0).

Currently 40 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (-1) of them in intensive care, 2 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

--------------

As of today, Friday, January 14, 08:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1610 (+175) active cases, while 16 710 (+50)  people are considered to have recovered. 411 (+-0) persons sadly died. 2243 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 731 (+225) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 523.3 (+25.6) / Incidence for NRW: 441.6 (+34.9).

Currently 41 (+1) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 2 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

--------------

As of today, Saturday, January 15, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1672 (+62) active cases, while 16 827 (+117)  people are considered to have recovered. 411 (+-0) persons sadly died. 2333 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 18 910 (+179) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 550.2 (+26.7) / Incidence for NRW: 470.2 (+28.6).

Currently 40 (-1) persons are treated in hospital, with 4 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 2 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

--------------

As of today, Sunday, January 16, 10:15 GMT+1, my home town (population 210 000) has 1924 (+252) active cases, while 16 845 (+18)  people are considered to have recovered. 411 (+-0) persons sadly died. 2386 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 19 180 (+270) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 602.7 (+52.5) / Incidence for NRW: 489.0 (+18.8).

Currently 37 (-3) persons are treated in hospital, with 5 (+1) of them in intensive care, 2 (+-0) of them needing artificial respiration.

There have been 156 977 (1st jab, 74.91%) and 150 533  (2nd jab, 71.83%) and 128 650 (3rd jab, 61.39%) vaccinations so far. (Vaccination data from Jan 12, 2022).

Edited by Astreya

January 7th stats for The Bahamas: 818 cases (highest ever for a single day - but also had the highest ever number of tests done) (734 on my island) for a new total of 28,328. Positivity rate... 31.2%! 98 people in hospital (up 15), 7 in the ICU (up 1). No additional deaths.

January 8th stats for The Bahamas: 291 cases (195 on my island) for a new total of 228,619. Positivity rate... 36%! :o 110 people in hospital (up 12), 9 in the ICU (up 2). No additional deaths.

January 9th stats for The Bahamas: 349 cases (314 on my island) for a new total of 28,968. Positivity rate... 41.9%! :o 110 people in hospital (no change), 5 in the ICU (down 4). No additional deaths.

January 10th stats for The Bahamas: 521 cases (422 on my island) for a new total of 29,489. Positivity rate... 29.4%! 118 people in hospital (up 😎, 6 in the ICU (up 1). No additional deaths.

January 11th stats for The Bahamas: 241 cases (167 on my island) for a new total of 29,730. Positivity rate... 38%! :o 125 people in hospital (up 7), 6 in the ICU (no change). No additional deaths.

The numbers on the other islands have been increasing.

One of my cousins, who is a medical doctor, described avoiding Covid as 'the longest game of hide and seek' she's ever played.