trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

14 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

We're not really privileged here in the OC, we're just different. :) 

https://calmatters.org/newsletters/whatmatters/2020/07/orange-county-school-reopening-gavin-newsom/

No, there's a lot of privilege and affluence in Orange County, it's the 6th richest county in the country. There's nothing wrong with that, but a lot of wealth is concentrated there, especially compared to other counties in California, not even including the rest of the country. 

My mother caught covid last month, fortunately she was vaxxed and boosted (first booster dose), but even with that she was down for two weeks and even now does not have full use of her left arm back. It's coming back slowly, thankfully. 

On 5/20/2022 at 8:35 PM, purpledragonclaw said:

No, there's a lot of privilege and affluence in Orange County, it's the 6th richest county in the country. There's nothing wrong with that, but a lot of wealth is concentrated there, especially compared to other counties in California, not even including the rest of the country. 

When income inequality correlates to public health inequality, there's something wrong with that - particularly when luckier folks aren't aware of how scary things get for those who have less.  The weird and paradoxical-seeming coincidence of people being more bubbled off in their own little fiefdoms than ever at a time when we're ostensibly more accessible to each other across all kinds of income, class, and geographic lines than ever before isn't great for keeping society functional.  Neither is folks' tendency to knee-jerk defensiveness when it's pointed out that privilege differences are real things that absolutely matter and are problematic.  

At any rate.  General income inequality-related ruin will probably catch up with almost all of us in the end, so.  Wheeee!  🎉 

(It's been a very long pandemic and my humor only comes in dark and darker these days. Hoping for more hope and less grumpitude any year now, but.)

15 hours ago, Melusina said:

When income inequality correlates to public health inequality, there's something wrong with that - particularly when luckier folks aren't aware of how scary things get for those who have less.  The weird and paradoxical-seeming coincidence of people being more bubbled off in their own little fiefdoms than ever at a time when we're ostensibly more accessible to each other across all kinds of income, class, and geographic lines than ever before isn't great for keeping society functional.  Neither is folks' tendency to knee-jerk defensiveness when it's pointed out that privilege differences are real things that absolutely matter and are problematic.  

At any rate.  General income inequality-related ruin will probably catch up with almost all of us in the end, so.  Wheeee!  🎉 

(It's been a very long pandemic and my humor only comes in dark and darker these days. Hoping for more hope and less grumpitude any year now, but.)

My apologies, my wording was poor. I had meant that there's nothing wrong with admitting privilege, not the gross wealth income inequality that's a worldwide problem. 

I don't know if everyone is aware, but there is now a worldwide monkeypox outbreak. There's no cure, but there are treatments. I'm already concerned with how this will interact with covid.

3 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I don't know if everyone is aware, but there is now a worldwide monkeypox outbreak. There's no cure, but there are treatments. I'm already concerned with how this will interact with covid.

I wondered that, too.

64 cases Friday (29% positivity), 62 cases yesterday (47% positivity!) for a new total of 34,274. 49 and 59 of those on my island. No additional deaths.

We had a Carnival-style event yesterday. Six+ hours of hundreds of people unmasked in close quarters, admittedly outside, but still close. I wonder what the next two weeks will bring for cases.

18 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I got vaccinated against smallpox in the 1970es - I wonder if my immune system still remembers that (at the time I had a heavy enough reaction) and I'm now immune against monkeypox still.

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

I got vaccinated against smallpox in the 1970es - I wonder if my immune system still remembers that (at the time I had a heavy enough reaction) and I'm now immune against monkeypox still.

Ah, then I should be okay. I've had the smallpox vaccine, too, many years ago.

Well, I got hit with Norovirus six days ago and wound up in the ER. There are so many different illnesses going around right now that you almost have to wonder if Earth is trying to purge the genepool or something. Monkey Pox scares the hell out of me. Florida has a huge population of macaques that need to be taken out because they are aggressive to humans, destroying the ecosystem and pushing native wildlife and plant life towards endangerment and extinction and they're an invasive species and also they carry several potentially fatal diseases to humans. Herpes B Virus is the big one because it is almost always fatal. I finally was able to get my Covid booster shot about a month ago. This time I wound up with not only the bump on my arm from it but the lymph nodes in my armpit swelled up. So I wound up stuffing an ice pack in my armpit and on the injection site. I felt kind of crappy for about a week. Our housekeeper got Covid again. This is the third time she's gotten it. She's fully vaccinated and had gotten it once before the vaccines. It's definitely a nasty virus because it's mutating so fast and getting around the vaccines. I wish everything would go back to normal. Anyway, hope you all are doing well and staying healthy!!! 💗

On 5/20/2022 at 5:35 PM, purpledragonclaw said:

My mother caught covid last month, fortunately she was vaxxed and boosted (first booster dose), but even with that she was down for two weeks and even now does not have full use of her left arm back. It's coming back slowly, thankfully. 

Nah, we're not privileged here in the OC,  we really are just different.  We had to take care of our homeless and make sure the food banks had supplies and  stayed open.  Also we had to help the teachers and the guidance counselors locate their school children.  The school breakfast and lunch are the only food the children get in some families.  We also had to file emergency Writs of Habeas Corpus so families were able to  get their loved ones out of nursing homes,  and file Orders to Show Cause to keep essential businesses open and file Amicus Curiae briefs with the Supreme Court to open the Mosques,  the Temples,  and the Churches so people could worship.   We felt like we would all catch the virus and all die from it anyway.   So we did what we had to do in the meantime.   We were able to do all of those things,  but we hit a dead end with the funerals.  It was the most heartbreaking thing, we could do nothing to help people bury their dead.   It was so sad. 

It is very odd to me that in response to my post about the coronavirus, which is the topic of this thread, you and @Melusina  looked up the OC on some kind of wealth map chart,  something that I never heard of,  to change the topic to income inequality.  I've lived here in the OC all my life and you have never been here,  so I know better about what happens here.  We are not the same.

I hope that your mother continues to progress in getting better and stronger.  Your doctors probably already have told you,  but make sure that she stays hydrated and that she gets her vitamins and minerals,  especially vitamin D.   I wish the best and fastest recovery for her.   

19 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

Nah, we're not privileged here in the OC,  we really are just different.  We had to take care of our homeless and make sure the food banks had supplies and  stayed open.  Also we had to help the teachers and the guidance counselors locate their school children.  The school breakfast and lunch are the only food the children get in some families.  We also had to file emergency Writs of Habeas Corpus so families were able to  get their loved ones out of nursing homes,  and file Orders to Show Cause to keep essential businesses open and file Amicus Curiae briefs with the Supreme Court to open the Mosques,  the Temples,  and the Churches so people could worship.   We felt like we would all catch the virus and all die from it anyway.   So we did what we had to do in the meantime.   We were able to do all of those things,  but we hit a dead end with the funerals.  It was the most heartbreaking thing, we could do nothing to help people bury their dead.   It was so sad. 

It is very odd to me that in response to my post about the coronavirus, which is the topic of this thread, you and @Melusina  looked up the OC on some kind of wealth map chart,  something that I never heard of,  to change the topic to income inequality.  I've lived here in the OC all my life and you have never been here,  so I know better about what happens here.  We are not the same.

The pandemic has been hard for everyone, StormBird, and no one is disputing that.  It's been gut-wrenchingly terrifying and saddening everywhere.  I wish none of us had to go through it.   

And as @purpledragonclaw said, nothing is intrinsically wrong with being born into or living in a privileged area.  In some respects the entire US could be called a privileged area, if not in others.  I'm writing from Maryland, which itself is by several measures one of the wealthiest states in the union. It would be hard to also be writing from Baltimore - which is both one of the two economic engines of the state and its perennial punching bag for the state's more conservative, less urban, less diverse political elements - without having spent some thought on how income inequality and politics impact COVID, and how COVID has impacted income inequality right back.  I think, in such divisive times, when a lot of the future of the world's capacity to be hospitable to human life seems to sit on a knife's edge being buffeted about by American political whims, it's extremely important to be self-aware.  Especially if you happen to be invested in the future of a small child or two, which I am.  I bother talking about this, despite the fact it's not comfortable for anyone and is reliably frustrating, because we're intended to challenge each other to think about this stuff in order to make the government run here, and because our increasing failure to do so productively has escalated to the level of an existential threat for our species during my child's lifetime.  

I am sure not all your neighbors sound the same, but the way you talk about Orange County doesn't say that it's just different - it just sounds achingly, predictably familiar.  Particularly how you focus on how y'all have banded together to fight against policies intended to protect people from the dangers of spreading the disease instead of focusing on weathering the storm while, say, streaming religious services online in order to protect each other from the disease.  The trend has been noticed.  You're right; I've skirted the area in my travels around your state, so I haven't been there, but I know folks from the OC,  know politically active people from most other parts of California, and have worked in and around national politics in DC on and off throughout my adult life.  The OC has been loved or hated as an conservative bastion of the sort that by could only exist through insularity in California for the last 2-3 dedades, anyway.  I think there's a very real possibility we wouldn't all still be fighting resurgences of COVID if the president we had when it broke out hadn't had the sort of wealthy, white, conservative inclinations to center individual liberties above the common good that I hear in how you're talking about the pandemic.  It is terribly painful not to be able to congregate around the situations that should bring people together - but that's not an excuse for prioritizing a funeral right away when several more funerals of loved ones could result from flouting reasonable precaution.  Only people who are fairly sure they're bulletproof tend to think otherwise, and thinking consequences happen to other people basically is privilege.

When COVID cases are again going up, up, up, this remains a conversation that needs to be had - if any of us want to see this fugue we're living in ever end.  Please be careful out there; new cases are up even more in California than in the country in general.  

I'm a bit scared of the monkey pox honestly, since... I didn't get the small pox vaccine (born in 1991.)

The cases where I am seem to be a bit better at the moment, but with summer coming/here, I'm scared of those rising. 

@AsymDoll13

At the moment all research points to monkeypox only being able to transmitted from one person to another by close contact with lesions, body fluids, respiratory droplets and contaminated materials such as bedding. So as long as you don't get into close contract with an infected person, you don't have to worry much.

More information:

WHO:  https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/monkeypox

CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/poxvirus/monkeypox/index.html

ECDC: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/news-events/epidemiological-update-monkeypox-outbreak

The CDC has raised the risk level for traveling to the Bahamas from level 2 to 3, high risk of contracting Covid. Not surprising, given our positivity rates run now between 25% and 40%, and that's just the PCR tests.

As of Monday, 52 new cases (40% positivity) for a new total of 34,355, 48 of those on my island. 12 people in hospital, none in the ICU. No additional deaths (810 since May 18th).

On 5/25/2022 at 10:08 PM, Melusina said:

I've skirted the area in my travels around your state, so I haven't been there,  but I know folks from the OC,  know politically active people from most other parts of California. 

Nope,  you don't know the OC or anything about us,  except what you read in an editorial somewhere or in a travel folder,  or wherever you got your misinformation.   Please get over your obsession with the OC.  This thread is about  Covid-19,  not about your fascination with the OC.  

On 5/25/2022 at 12:43 AM, StormBirdRising said:

I hope that your mother continues to progress in getting better and stronger.  Your doctors probably already have told you,  but make sure that she stays hydrated and that she gets her vitamins and minerals,  especially vitamin D.   I wish the best and fastest recovery for her.   

My mother thanks you for the well-wishes, and she was already doing everything you recommended before she came down with covid, and has continued to do so after she recovered.

Now to address the rest of your post.

Orange County, California is one of the most privileged, wealthy, and affluent areas in this country. Everything you mentioned, as @Melusina pointed out, fought against health experts' recommendations to slow the spread of the coronavirus. The way you've responded to me and Melusina shows just how insular the OC truly is, you have privilege in your response. Do you think the more rural areas of the country were able to respond the way Orange County did? I guarantee you they weren't, because they didn't have the resources. The resources Orange County had available are directly as a result of the affluence of the area. 

For perspective, Marin County, also in California, the wealthiest county in the nation, followed health experts' warnings on how to deal with covid and enacted guidelines that followed those warnings. It's a rich enclave that didn't try to fight health guidelines to continue their way of life pre-covid. They had more resources available than Orange County did, yet the response was the opposite of what Orange County did. They understood the societal good at stake over the cost of minor inconvenience.

You also make an egregious assumption that I've never been there. I have. On more than one occasion. I know of what I speak.  I've experienced the privilege for myself. You also shouldn't just dismiss what Melusina said simply because they've never visited in-person, you think a person has to visit a place to know about it? 

So you hadn't ever heard of a wealth map chart for an area? Now you have, these are verifiable facts to back up what Melusina and I are trying to tell you. The site I linked you is one of California's tourism sites, it's used to bring people into the state. California is quite proud of its affluence.

I find it very telling that rather than accept what Melusina and I are trying to tell you, you're digging your heels further into your position and trying to discredit us instead of approaching this with an open mind.

We are keeping this thread on-topic, because the amount of resources an area has has a direct relationship with its covid response. 

Edited by purpledragonclaw

14 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

My mother thanks you for the well-wishes, and she was already doing everything you recommended before she came down with covid, and has continued to do so after she recovered.

Now to address the rest of your post.

Orange County, California is one of the most privileged, wealthy, and affluent areas in this country. Everything you mentioned, as @Melusina pointed out, fought against health experts' recommendations to slow the spread of the coronavirus. The way you've responded to me and Melusina shows just how insular the OC truly is, you have privilege in your response. Do you think the more rural areas of the country were able to respond the way Orange County did? I guarantee you they weren't, because they didn't have the resources. The resources Orange County had available are directly as a result of the affluence of the area. 

Nah,  we are just different in the OC...  We tracked the strange virus that had been going around from October 2019 at the World Games in Wuhan China.  Then kept hearing chatter about it.  We had immunologists, epidemiologists, live news feeds from doctors around the world.  So, "health experts" recommendations and opinions fell short as far as we were concerned.  At least seven entire states and many other counties didn't lock down, I have no idea their economic statuses because I don't judge people by wealth or lack thereof. 

For perspective, Marin County, also in California, the wealthiest county in the nation, followed health experts' warnings on how to deal with covid and enacted guidelines that followed those warnings. It's a rich enclave that didn't try to fight health guidelines to continue their way of life pre-covid. They had more resources available than Orange County did, yet the response was the opposite of what Orange County did. They understood the societal good at stake over the cost of minor inconvenience.

Maybe it was "minor inconvenience" to you, but people were in danger of losing their jobs, their homes, and starving, especially our homeless population.  We had to act to make sure that didn't happen.  Our case rate, our hospitalization rate, and our death rate was no greater than any other county.

You also make an egregious assumption that I've never been there. I have. On more than one occasion. I know of what I speak.  I've experienced the privilege for myself. You also shouldn't just dismiss what Melusina said simply because they've never visited in-person, you think a person has to visit a place to know about it? 

I think a person has to LIVE somewhere to be able to adequately judge that place.  For example,  I have been to the Bahamas, Italy, Scotland, England, many times, sometimes for months at a time, but that is no substitute for actually living somewhere in order to get the full picture.

So you hadn't ever heard of a wealth map chart for an area? Now you have, these are verifiable facts to back up what Melusina and I are trying to tell you. The site I linked you is one of California's tourism sites, it's used to bring people into the state. California is quite proud of its affluence.

Those are just advertisements to entice tourists.  Every state has them. No,  I never heard of a wealth map, probably because I have never judged anyone for their economic status. 

I find it very telling that rather than accept what Melusina and I are trying to tell you, you're digging your heels further into your position and trying to discredit us instead of approaching this with an open mind.

I don't accept what you are talking about, because you don't know what you are talking about.  Like I told you, what is this, second or third time now,  I have lived in the OC all my life.  I don't care about your negative impression of the OC or this income inequality that you are getting excited about because you know nothing about the OC,  except what you have seen in travel brochures.  You have a political agenda. I don't.  Here in the OC we did we had to do to get everyone through the government lockdowns.  Very simple.  We had a job to do and we did it.  As far as I know everyone did what they felt was the right thing to do.  Everyone did the best that they could do.  You can't expect anything more than that.  You have to stop judging people who didn't do what you wanted them to do. 

We are keeping this thread on-topic, because the amount of resources an area has has a direct relationship with its covid response. 

I can only tell to you the advice my father gave me when I was a little girl.  "In this life there will always be someone who has more than you do and there will always be someone who does things that you don't like.  Don't waste your time with jealousy and bitterness.  Live your life they way you want to and don't worry about what people think about you."

I hope I have answered all your questions and addressed all your concerns in the highlighted areas.  We are not the same. 

Our numbers continue upwards...

Monday 46 new cases (31.7% positivity) and yesterday 102 new cases (44.3% positivity :o ) for a new total of 36,861 overall. 90 of yesterday's cases were on my island, one of them the son of our adoptions coordinator (and she returned home from a trip abroad and went home to where he was without telling him to isolate in one area of the house). 14 people in hospital, none in the ICU. No recent deaths.

@Lagie

This doesn't sound good. Stay safe!

Compared with the data of two weeks ago, the number of active infections in my home town has halved. Today's numbers are as follow (in parentheses I kept the numbers of May 19th):

As of Thursday, June 2, 09:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 210 000) has 2055 (3966) active cases, while 49141 (46474)  people are considered to have recovered. 468 (fortunately no change) persons sadly died.  All in all there have been 51664 (50908) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 154.6 (230.5)  / Incidence for NRW: 238.7 (372.8).

Currently 19 (46) persons are treated in hospital, with 2 (2) of them in intensive care, 2 (0) of them needing artificial respiration.

Source: Stadt Oberhausen

On 5/27/2022 at 12:15 PM, purpledragonclaw said:

It's a rich enclave that didn't try to fight health guidelines to continue their way of life pre-covid. They had more resources available than Orange County did, yet the response was the opposite of what Orange County did. They understood the societal good at stake over the cost of minor inconvenience.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:08 AM, Melusina said:

Particularly how you focus on how y'all have banded together to fight against policies intended to protect people from the dangers of spreading the disease instead of focusing on weathering the storm while, say, streaming religious services online in order to protect each other from the disease.

These are the points I want to use to spring into a discussion of what policies are actually doing good, and which ones are harmful. We have helpful policies that would be minor inconveniences, e.g. masks and social distancing where it's possible. Other policies, particularly lockdown policies, are not minor inconveniences to protect others from covid. These are policies resulting in severe financial difficulties across the country for way too many people, resulting in issues with paying for rent, food, etc. and also involve cases of job loss. If you're protected from covid, but can't pay rent or put food on the table and lose your job because of lockdowns, how protected are you, really? Other issues exist as well that have potential to cause some major problems down the road, if not already, such as the lack of quality education and worsened mental health crisis.

This is not as black and white of an issue like Republicans and Democrats here in the U.S. claim it to be - you need to consider if these trade-offs for a particular defense is worth it. Masks, social distancing, vaccines provided someone is cleared medically to receive the vaccine, even the simple acts of washing your hands and overall staying clean and hygienic? Worth it, minor inconveniences at their worst, all good. More extreme policies like lockdowns? That's a no from me.

And in fact, along some related veins of this conversation concerning privilege, when I encounter people who are pro-lockdown, I think: "How privileged must one be to treat a lockdown as a safe inconvenience?" If someone wants to make a personal decision to lockdown and quarantine themselves, though, go for it. Just don't force everyone to do it, because not everyone is privileged enough to do so. I'll finish off with in a perfect world, we would all be privileged enough to be able to safely participate in a lockdown to protect each other from covid. But that's not how the real world works, unfortunately, as much as we all want it to work like that.

Edited by KrazyKarp

I see a lot of misunderstanding the difference between lockdowns and what the United States did to combat covid. The United States, with the exception of New York when they were hit hard and fast when covid first reached the U.S., did not lock down to prevent the spread of covid. China locked down. Italy locked down. India locked down. The U.S. had a shelter-in-place policy, for the states that chose that method to combat the spread of coronavirus. They're not the same thing at all. 

I am pro-shelter-in-place, not pro-lockdown. I am not approaching this from a Republicans v. Democrats viewpoint, since I don't particularly care for either party's politics. I think lockdowns were too extreme and local governments didn't have effective solutions and supply chains in place to help citizens lock down for extended periods of time. Shanghai currently is an excellent example of that. I think shelter-in-place orders were more reasonable. 

I don't consider masks and social distancing to be minor inconveniences, either, I think of those as being asked to stop eating out, getting hair/nails done, spa treatments, going to the gym, things like that. Those are luxuries. People protested for the ability to do those things during covid at its peak.

1 hour ago, KrazyKarp said:

I'll finish off with in a perfect world, we would all be privileged enough

There's the one-size-fits-all solution that will most likely not happen, sadly.

10 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I think of those as being asked to stop eating out, getting hair/nails done, spa treatments, going to the gym, things like that. Those are luxuries. People protested for the ability to do those things during covid at its peak.

This is what I'm referring to, though. Thinking of these things from a consumer standpoint, it's easy to interpret them as luxuries. But if you're working at a restaurant, spa, gym, places like these, that work could be what you're depending on to put food on the table, pay for a place to live, for clothing, etc. The question of "If I'm safe from covid, but can't put food on the table or pay my rent, how safe am I, really?" becomes very serious here. People have jobs that depend on these things being open, so it's not at all comparable to putting on a mask.

48 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

This is what I'm referring to, though. Thinking of these things from a consumer standpoint, it's easy to interpret them as luxuries. But if you're working at a restaurant, spa, gym, places like these, that work could be what you're depending on to put food on the table, pay for a place to live, for clothing, etc. The question of "If I'm safe from covid, but can't put food on the table or pay my rent, how safe am I, really?" becomes very serious here. People have jobs that depend on these things being open, so it's not at all comparable to putting on a mask.

The PPP loan program was supposed to go those workers you mentioned, it was supposed to provide relief for them and give them a way to support themselves without having to put their lives at risk by going to their jobs, but unfortunately a lot of business owners didn't put the money towards their workers, they pocketed it. It went to shareholders. It wasn't restrictive enough in its implementation to help those truly in need, and it resulted in a lot more unmitigated greed from business owners. The stimulus checks didn't do enough, either, since those were only drops in the bucket for people and didn't replace lost income. 

The real issue here is we have governments that aren't truly designed to protect its citizens and don't have safety nets in place to manage extreme conditions like a global pandemic. This was a worldwide problem. That's why I've been a proponent of universal basic income (UBI) as a starting point, scaled based on the region.

Although I have had both of the initial doses plus a booster, I just did an in-home test after running a fever all day, currently 102.4* F, down slightly from the 102.7*F about half an hour ago. Except for the expected exhaustion from fighting this bug, I feel pretty good. Hopefully the vaccines will limit the effects and I  will make a complete recovery. Meanwhile, though, I guess I'm stuck in self-quarantine.

Edited by casprrr
Punctuation

13 minutes ago, casprrr said:

Although I have had both of the initial doses plus a booster, I just did an in-home test after running a fever all day, currently 102.4* F, down slightly from the 102.7*F about half an hour ago. Except for the expected exhaustion from fighting this bug, I feel pretty good. Hopefully the vaccines will limit the effects and I  will make a complete recovery. Meanwhile, though, I guess I'm stuck in self-quarantine.

I am glad you are in good spirits.  Stay hydrated,  It seems to be one of the very most important things to do.  Lots of water,  lots of drinks you like,  teas or fruit juices and things like that.. Get well soon.  Quarantine won't last forever.  Take care.  

8 hours ago, casprrr said:

Hopefully the vaccines will limit the effects and I  will make a complete recovery.

Hope you're better soon!

We're still running 15% to 37% positivity. And a lot more people in hospital (26 as of Sunday) though none in the ICU. Total cases now 35,351. 812 deaths.

Today, Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, and Chief Medical Advisor to President Biden, tested positive for COVID-19 on a rapid antigen test. He is fully vaccinated and has been boosted twice.