GhostMouse

Broken Pixel on Default Skin

Towards the bottom of the page, usually on the far left, there seems to be a broken pixel on the default skin. I thought it was only on the actions page at first but it just seems to be loading near the bottom of the page. I haven't checked to see if it appears on other skins.

(Broken pixel may be the wrong term because it's the background and not my physical screen but I don't know what else to call it.)

If it makes a difference, I did recently switch to Firefox from Chrome.

Here's a screenshot of an example:

wZrrsn9l.png

In Pale Moon it isn't' showing up on mine... Nor on my Chrome. Nor on my usual browser - Opera... NOR on Firefox !

I'm on Firefox and all looks okay to me.

There's a significant difference in what I see - both on chrome and firefox. It seems like there is an overlay or something depicting the entrance of the cave to the left, which neatly covers the broken pixel. Maybe you blocked the overlaying graphic? Anyway, this is what I see on the left border.

image.png.e3a6e4a14f1aa0750cc3e71319f7d2c1.png

9 minutes ago, olympe said:

There's a significant difference in what I see - both on chrome and firefox. It seems like there is an overlay or something depicting the entrance of the cave to the left, which neatly covers the broken pixel. Maybe you blocked the overlaying graphic? Anyway, this is what I see on the left border.

image.png.e3a6e4a14f1aa0750cc3e71319f7d2c1.png

No overlay, that's just the background image itself: https://s.dcave.net/cache/images/1/1hde9kl.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the same stalagtites in your screenshot and in OP's screenshot, with the same degree of fade-out - OP just has less screen space real estate, so the large black area is completely missing from their screen.

I get the same amount of the background image on both Chrome and Firefox, the only thing that changes for me is that one pixel. Otherwise they're identical.

I did turn off AdBlock but I'm still seeing the blocked ad banners and the weird pixel.

I don't have many extensions running but if it's unique to my computer I wonder if it's one of them?

Edit: It's DuckDuckGo. I didn't realize it was also an adblocker. I whitelisted Dragoncave and the pixel went away and I started seeing actual ads. It also found 37 trackers (but when it's on it only says it's blocking 3? I don't know, I'm still figuring this out) so I'm turning it back on, but I'm glad to have an answer! I do still wonder why it causes that pixel to appear, though.

Edited by GhostMouse

It'll be one of those noxious ones that tracks you but hopes you don't notice....

Oh, you're probably right, Fuzz. It's starting to creep me out knowing now how many sites and advertisers track you around the internet. Switching to Firefox, DuckDuckGo, etc to block trackers makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist, except that we know for a fact these things are happening.

5 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

Oh, you're probably right, Fuzz. It's starting to creep me out knowing now how many sites and advertisers track you around the internet. Switching to Firefox, DuckDuckGo, etc to block trackers makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist, except that we know for a fact these things are happening.

I couldn't care less about that since I use an adblocker anyway. I hate ads, especially the blinking and/or loud ones. And the virulent type, of course. ;) Adblockers saved my ass at least once that I actually know of, and probably a couple more times I never realized.

14 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

Not all things that get classified as "trackers" are sketchy. For example Dragon Cave uses Google Analytics to help get aggregate data on how people use the site. If everyone who uses DuckDuckGo blocks analytics, then it will appear from my end as if no (or very very few) people use DuckDuckGo, and I'm unlikely to spend any time testing new features on there or looking looking into bugs that only appear on that browser.