Moonlight_Eevee

Pokémon Sword and Shield

I love Corviknight's concept! Gossifleur is really cool too. Pretty apprehensive about Dynamaxing though. It looks rather silly and with Z-power (will that be in this game?) and mega evolution, it seems like a lot of bonus stuff complicating the combat. I hope it's only in this game, or it's more interesting than a mashup between Z and mega.

YOOOOOO. The E3 showed some gameplay today and everything looks SO GOOD. I love the mix between overworld and random battles for wild pokemon. The whistling feature is ADORABLE!! And the Wild Area looks AMAZING. I'm gonna spend like 80% of my play time just in that area lol. Also I'm actually pretty hyped about the Dynamax-- it's super unique and looks like a really cool challenge, especially if you can rope some friends into playing with you on the raids. I'm so stoked!!!!

Edit: Though, I am a little sad that Dynamax is replacing Mega Evolution. That was cool. But I guess maybe they couldn't compromise on how a Mega and a Dynamax mixed battle would work?

Also, I will say I am pretty annoyed about the Pokemon Home restrictions. They said that only Pokemon that show up on the Galar Region pokedex will be able to be transferred from Home to Sword/Shield, unlike in Sun/Moon where you could bring in Pokemon outside of the region dex in the game. They said that since there are so many pokemon they had to decide which ones would best fit the Galar adventure. And like... that shouldn't be really up to them? Everyone has pokemon they like and don't like. If you're gonna make new pokemon and new games, I think each game should have the capability to bring in Pokemon from previous games. What if someone's favorite is barred from being brought into SW/SH? That's lame.  

Edited by hazeh

5 hours ago, hazeh said:

Also, I will say I am pretty annoyed about the Pokemon Home restrictions. They said that only Pokemon that show up on the Galar Region pokedex will be able to be transferred from Home to Sword/Shield, unlike in Sun/Moon where you could bring in Pokemon outside of the region dex in the game. They said that since there are so many pokemon they had to decide which ones would best fit the Galar adventure. And like... that shouldn't be really up to them? Everyone has pokemon they like and don't like. If you're gonna make new pokemon and new games, I think each game should have the capability to bring in Pokemon from previous games. What if someone's favorite is barred from being brought into SW/SH? That's lame.  

This. Really killed my buzz during today's conference. I'll definitely still play but now instead of TOTAL HYPE I'm sitting here worried that I might not be able to bring over some of my most treasured Pokemon from my other games, like shinies I chained/hatched thousands of eggs for. 

Everyone's Pokemon adventure is different... That's what's so cool about it. I hope the limits aren't too bad but any limit at all is kind of against the spirit of the games thus far.

If USUM could have everyone, why not this? The Switch is so much more powerful than the 3DS. Felt pretty disheartened by that. Nervously awaiting the list of who's allowed in the clubhouse now. 

Please Nintendo I am begging you do not cut Electrike out because you made another zappy dog. Too many eggs hatched, too many years ;~;

Edited by BrazenChase

37 minutes ago, BrazenChase said:

This. Really killed my buzz during today's conference. I'll definitely still play but now instead of TOTAL HYPE I'm sitting here worried that I might not be able to bring over some of my most treasured Pokemon from my other games, like shinies I chained/hatched thousands of eggs for. 

Everyone's Pokemon adventure is different... That's what's so cool about it. I hope the limits aren't too bad but any limit at all is kind of against the spirit of the games thus far.

If USUM could have everyone, why not this? The Switch is so much more powerful than the 3DS. Felt pretty disheartened by that. Nervously awaiting the list of who's allowed in the clubhouse now. 

Please Nintendo I am begging you do not cut Electrike out because you made another zappy dog. Too many eggs hatched, too many years ;~;

Yeah I definitely feel you. If Ponyta/Rapidash isn't included in these games (which would be a TERRIBLE design flaw, considering Scotland = unicorns) I'll riot. 

I'm hoping they're just trying to pull the wool(oo) over our eyes and every single Pokemon is in the Galar pokedex x) I'd understand if like, certain event pokemon weren't included, like Hoopla or Victini etc. But standard Pokemon that people might have caught and trained and loved over the years? Come on... 

Don't worry about Electrike-- it's confirmed to be in the games (I saw it during some game play and Serebii is keeping a list of known Galar available pokemon). Although I AM bummed that Yamper is electric type, since we already have an electric dog... :( I wish they had given it a unique type so I could include it on my shiny dog team.

Edit: wow I'm having an issue with putting all my thoughts down at once. Anyway, I hope that they will later include these "restricted" pokemon via a patch post-game, since we know the Switch is capable of it. Maybe they just weren't able to render all 800+ pokemon yet in an acceptable time frame for a game release so they chose the ones that they felt best fit for now, but will later allow for it. I'm holding out hope that's the case (especially considering how pissed a lot of people are). 

Edited by hazeh
guess how many times haze can use the word capable in one sentence

Great, now i have to worry if the Solosis line is going to make the cut. I really don't want to just leave him in Home to rot :(

16 hours ago, hazeh said:

Yeah I definitely feel you. If Ponyta/Rapidash isn't included in these games (which would be a TERRIBLE design flaw, considering Scotland = unicorns) I'll riot. 

I'm hoping they're just trying to pull the wool(oo) over our eyes and every single Pokemon is in the Galar pokedex x) I'd understand if like, certain event pokemon weren't included, like Hoopla or Victini etc. But standard Pokemon that people might have caught and trained and loved over the years? Come on... 

Don't worry about Electrike-- it's confirmed to be in the games (I saw it during some game play and Serebii is keeping a list of known Galar available pokemon). Although I AM bummed that Yamper is electric type, since we already have an electric dog... :( I wish they had given it a unique type so I could include it on my shiny dog team.

Edit: wow I'm having an issue with putting all my thoughts down at once. Anyway, I hope that they will later include these "restricted" pokemon via a patch post-game, since we know the Switch is capable of it. Maybe they just weren't able to render all 800+ pokemon yet in an acceptable time frame for a game release so they chose the ones that they felt best fit for now, but will later allow for it. I'm holding out hope that's the case (especially considering how pissed a lot of people are). 

Oh Thank GoN about Electrike @-@ Still got plenty of others to worry about but I suppose all we can do is hope for the best eh? At least Yamper is cute, excited to see what a shiny one looks like! (Pls be orange pls pls)

Hopefully Nintendo sees the bad press and like you said, patches stuff back in at a later date to keep with the spirit of the games. Guess we have to wait and see, but I don't see anything wrong with patching them in later... As long as it's free.

Oh, if they don't announce a patch or that they're adding them in anyways, I'm not buying the games.

I love Pokemon but I didn't spend months soft-resetting for my shiny Reshiram just to have him stuck and unable to be used in the new games.

My sentiments match TCA's. This is a giant slap in the face for longtime fans. Especially since my favorite mon is a starter... There's no way I'm seeing him again until the next Hoenn remake...

I'm actually going to be pretty honest. While yes, it was upsetting to me at first, it really caused me to step back and think about my future with Pokemon. Yes, it's slightly disappointing to know that half the pokedex is being chopped out, that not every single one is going to make it in, but honestly? I no longer really want to catch and hoard 800+ in one game. Catching them all is no longer really special to me after 20+ years of playing this game. I realise that every Pokemon is someone's favourite, including Jynx (someone out there) and who knows, GameFreak may put in dlcs now because of this.

However, I'm hearing rumors about Home deleting your Pokemon if you miss a day of payment, this is somethimg i don't agree with and hope that it causes enough backlash with GameFreak that they'd allow you to keep the pokemon even after missing a day. Also, I really would love to see minigames and whatnot for my pokemon (especially on my phone) that way I can still play with my favourites if they get chopped out of SwSh

It's not even about hoarding 800+ unique mons for me, it's about not being able to bring over the impressive shiny and level 100 collections I've spent years accumulating. I've no doubt I can bring some of those collections over but...why when I can't bring them all? 

And on top of that I prefer mega evolution to giant pokemon (and to z-moves tbh). Dynamax just isn't an exciting concept for me. 

The draw just isn't there for me to drop $300 on a switch plus like $60 for a game that doesn't have what drew me to pokemon and kept me interested for more than a decade. 

23 hours ago, TCA said:

Oh, if they don't announce a patch or that they're adding them in anyways, I'm not buying the games.

I love Pokemon but I didn't spend months soft-resetting for my shiny Reshiram just to have him stuck and unable to be used in the new games.

They said they have no plans to do so at the moment. I'm pretty disappointed. Their reasoning is bull too - something about the 'higher-quality animations'. The animations are lazy, not even taking into consideration they're the most profitable franchise in all of history. If they had the return of Stadium-quality animations, I'd be much more happy and ready to tolerate this change. Right now, all they do for attacking animations is move the model up and down slightly.  

Within the interview with Masuda and Ohmori, it was confirmed that there is currently no decision to bring the existing Pokémon that can't be in Sword & Shield back into the game using patches, but those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME

36 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

They said they have no plans to do so at the moment. I'm pretty disappointed. Their reasoning is bull too - something about the 'higher-quality animations'. The animations are lazy, not even taking into consideration they're the most profitable franchise in all of history. If they had the return of Stadium-quality animations, I'd be much more happy and ready to tolerate this change. Right now, all they do for attacking animations is move the model up and down slightly.  

Within the interview with Masuda and Ohmori, it was confirmed that there is currently no decision to bring the existing Pokémon that can't be in Sword & Shield back into the game using patches, but those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME

Serebii worded it differently on twitter

“Serebii Update: In Famitsu, Junichi Masuda states no decision has been made about adding Pokémon not in the Galar Pokédex to Sword & Shield via updates. All can be in HOME”

This seems to imply that they’re open to the idea, they’ve just not decided either way yet.

Regardless, I find this highly upsetting. Especially because they’re most likely not going to disclose which Pokémon made it into the Galar Dex until after launch. They’re expecting people to buy the games without knowing whether the Pokémon they actually like are useable. Here’s hoping data miners figure it out from the demo.

You know, I can see both sides to this. But the thing is, I'm not a competitive battler, I haven't touched any of my previous games for a while because well, im simply bored with it. Yes, I got excited in the past because i wanted very single Pokemon (achieved that goal in Omega Ruby), i don't have the time to actually commit to shiny hunting at all and the ones i do have and have history with, i really want to be able to transfer them over, but if not, I'm hoping Home has something to play with them. 

However, I would rather see a chopped dex to have new features added, I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision on GameFreak's part, but if they delay the games at all, I'm afraid it would have started a chain reaction for them to start delaying other projects just to focus on fitting all 800+ Pokemon into one game. The animation was never about the attacks, but more so of how fantastic they wanted the game to look on the Switch. There is confirmation that you can now actually cook in the game (and I'm not talking about no poffin making) and this is a step towards what I've been wanting in a Pokemon game for years.

I want more diversity than simply owning 900+ Pokemon like a change of career. But that's just my opinion and thoughts on the matter

I mean, I guess technically everyone can still have a living Dex in Home. i hope the playable features are worth transferring Pokemon permanently over from previous games, though :/ This won't stop me from playing Sw/Sh, but I guess I'm also just hopeful that they'll amend this in the future. To me, all of the new content outweighs the disappointment (though I get that it's not the same for other people). 

I don't understand why adding another one-generation battling gimmick that's all about making Pokemon bigger was prioritized over adding in all the Pokemon. Megas, Z-crystals, dynamaxing, ehh... it'd be nice to go back to no weird gimmicks.

I'll definitely still be playing anyway, but it's a bit of a downer. I have nintendo online so if any of yall wind up with Sword and find yourselves pining for Shield exclusives I'll be your girl for trades :P

On 6/14/2019 at 7:41 AM, KrazyKarp said:

I don't understand why adding another one-generation battling gimmick that's all about making Pokemon bigger was prioritized over adding in all the Pokemon. Megas, Z-crystals, dynamaxing, ehh... it'd be nice to go back to no weird gimmicks.

Game Freak and Nintendo have baffled me with this decision over the years. It's like they think a new gimmick will keep people invested in the franchise rather than giving people access to the entire dex in a game, either from the Pokemon in the region or giving people the means to transfer in their Pokemon from other games. I've long since resigned myself to the fact that the shinies and special event Pokemon I get in one generation will stay locked on that console forever.

I pre-ordered the double-pack of Sun and Moon today since I planned on getting both anyway. 

Honestly with what I've seen up to today, this won't be a purchase high on my priority list. GameFreak has had too many gaffs that really aren't acceptable from the most profitable franchise on the planet. Since we went into 3D, I've been waiting and hoping they would fix/update the attack animations for the pokemon. So far, it's still only been limited to bouncing the entire model up and down. The battles are still laggy and that's just with 4-6 active models on-screen at most (2-4 pokemon, 2 trainers). The textures in the most recent addition look like they're from the N64 era. And they already future-proofed the models, but now they're saying it's too much work to bring all the pokemon over. Not to mention, they had ALL the following pokemon models for running and walking for more than a few games now, but they refuse to use them. Then we look at SM/USUM, with the areas that were clearly supposed to be accessible (golf course, the brooklet hill cave), and a lack of dungeons. The series also hasn't ever done DLC and instead push what should be DLC into full-priced new games. I'm so unhappy and sad.

The newest trailer is out! AAAAHHHH I'M SO EXCITED. 

Spoiler

Maybe it's just because I love Zigzagoon and its new regional variants (AND EVOLUTION!!!!) are 100% my aesthetic. Plus I ADORE Marnie, I love her design 220000%. I'm really stoked to see other regional variants! I've got my fingers crossed that Rapidash gets one, and maybe an evolution too!!! :D That'd be SO cool. 

Only a few more months before I get my hands on this game!! I'm so excited. Even with the disappointment of the dex cuts (which we still don't know the extent of) and other changes, I'm excited to see what new things and pokemon we get to explore. Whoo!!!

Just saw the new trailer too

Spoiler

Ok Zigzagoon looks kinda cool and he gets a 3rd evolution now, but the most important question is what did they do to my boy Weezing!?!?!

And also now our enemy team just...yell? :/

I don't have a Switch yet but I really wanted to get one for this game, but until I know exactly who is cut from the dex i likely won't be picking this up and will likely watch someone on Youtube play through the story lol.

10 hours ago, smokeytripod said:

Just saw the new trailer too

Hide contents

Ok Zigzagoon looks kinda cool and he gets a 3rd evolution now, but the most important question is what did they do to my boy Weezing!?!?!

And also now our enemy team just...yell? 😕

I don't have a Switch yet but I really wanted to get one for this game, but until I know exactly who is cut from the dex i likely won't be picking this up and will likely watch someone on Youtube play through the story lol.

Spoiler

Weezing is now aptly named because I'll be wheezing every time I look at our iconic Pokebong (name courtesy of @/Marrionetta I MEAN @Pixxelation). I think he's hilarious, and the design is weirdly ingenious. 
Though I agree on the Team Name; Team Scream would have been...cooler. But I kind of like that they're moving away from "world domination" bad guys and more...mildly inconveniencing fanboys, because that makes a lot more sense for a Team that constantly has to fight a child lol. We can only have so many groups trying to rule the world... 
Plus, I love Marnie. I'd totally be on Team Yell. 

Edited by hazeh

The new stuff is kinda meh, imo.

Happy that they kept regional variants, and the current ones are okay - though Obstagoon is...nope - but Team Yell is so awful already, I really hope they aren't the only bad guys...

but I am already kinda jaded now because of the national dex garbage. They say they have no plans to add the missing mons in patches, and which mons are excluded will be a huge "deal or no deal" for me, but I am fully expecting them to put them in as paid-for dlc, a small bit at a time. Honestly would not surprise me nowadays...

Nintendo's announced an LE Switch Lite with the Sun/Shield pattern: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-switch-lite-zacian-edition/

I'm not getting it since I have a regular Switch, but it does look cool. 

I typically have a rule where I don't raise a Pokemon I've raised before, but I may break it for Obstagoon (I raised Zigzagoon in Ruby). I definitely want to add it to my party. Weezing in a top hat is adorable.

I got Shield and I beat the game and building up competitive mons and suprise trading like crazy. Raiding feels so good in this game because you can find any pokemon except for Legends and Starters.

It is better than I expected. I am loving it so far.