TemmieFlakes

ANSWERED:friending system

it would be pretty cool if there was a way you could like, friend people on Dragon Cave. i dunno what any benefit would be or why we would need it or anything, just thought about it because i have a couple of friends who also play dragon cave. just thought i should say this for some reason, what do you guys think of a friending system?

I mean, there's already a soft friending system on the forums with the follow feature, and even you yourself admitted you can't really think of any benefits. Considering how little user interaction there is on the main site, I can't see much of a reason for this. If we ever get on-site PMs or... something? Maybe this might be useful? But as it stands it just kinda feels like having friends for the sake of having friends. I can't even really think of many theoretical future features that would necessitate this.

4 minutes ago, Nove NuVonde said:

If we ever get on-site PMs or... something?

We won't ever, due to TJ's day job contract.

So for the game itself, this suggestion is moot.

For the forums, we can follow users and message them. That's all we really need.

There is a friending system on another forum I'm on. I thought it was harmless enough and accepted most of the requests. Then came the day I got a request from someone no way did I want as a "friend". And that made me realise - it is NOT a good idea; the day you decline someone is the day they start revenge attacks on your eggs, maybe....

I don't accept any any more, and have told everyone who asks why I haven't accepted them. "To refuse causes offence" says that old No Credit sign. I agree. If there are no requests - no-one can be upset when they aren't accepted.

Definite no. Having on-site direct communication is something that simply can't happen, presumably because of TJ's real-life job, and that's the only actual benefit I could see for 'friending'. Personally I have a few scrolls bookmarked, but only because those scrolls are really large and great for unlocking new Encyclopedia stuff. I'm assuming that if someone has good friends who play, they most likely trade or talk about DC, so you already know their scroll names... So just bookmark them if you want. I don't see any *benefit* to friending, anything it would actually do that can't be done other ways.

1 hour ago, TemmieFlakes said:

it would be pretty cool if there was a way you could like, friend people on Dragon Cave. i dunno what any benefit would be or why we would need it or anything, just thought about it because i have a couple of friends who also play dragon cave. just thought i should say this for some reason, what do you guys think of a friending system?

Just what would be "pretty cool" about it? There isn't really a benefit, as user interaction is a hard no for DC itself. And on the forums - well, you can keep notes, follow people or just keep a PM from each of your friends in a separate folder for easy access.

Then there's the many downsites of friending systems, as has been shown on the so-called "social" media. People simply agreeing or disagreeing with someone due to friendship. People banding together against someone who is not part of their friend group. Peer pressure at its finest. Not to mention what fuzzbucket mentioned. 

As I have stated in the past, social features are not something that are going to come to Dragon Cave any time soon. This is currently a "hard no," i.e. non-negotiable.