SkySong278

A Knight's Story

Alex moved a bit to dodge his attempt to trip her when she saw his lunge towards her before being surprised at his sudden laugh because she wasn't expecting it. She then nodded with a grim expression on her face when she heard what he said about her dad being there and making him proud. She knew that he probably would still be proud of her anyway. "What about you making your dad proud?" she asked him softly blocking every single one of his attacks towards her that looked much like dancing before she saw an opening that he left. She twisted and knocked his sword from his hand before she twisted again and attempted to knock him off his feet. "Sorry," she said softly with a sad look on her face before looking towards the stands. She knew that his dad would probably not be very happy with him after this possible defeat because she had heard their earlier conversation and this other one is one that she didn't want to be around to hear.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane ignored her question when they had fought. Who cares what he thinks? Knowing his father, he'd wouldn't be satisfied with a simple forfeit, no he'd want his son to beat Alex to a pulp. He couldn't. Every move Alex made in sword play and defiance enthralled him like no other woman has. He wasn't a woman beater like the monstrous beast who sired him. He let her win, and he knew his dad knew as well. When he landed on his back, her sword at his chest, he couldn't help but grin. He winked cheekily at her then declared in a loud voice. "I have met my match. I believe we can fight until we both collapse of exhaustion and still have no clear winner. Therefore, to not take up this day of fun and celebration, I, Zane Xavier Garcia Rodriguez Saunders... " He looked over at his father at that moment. The man was purple, vains popped out of his forehead and neck. He shook with rage, eye twitching and looking like a too ripe plumb about to pop. "Here by forfeit the win. Alex, you are the winner of this match. Finely done. With your skills, you'll be a knight in no time."

Alex blushed a bit when she saw his wink and then nodded before saying with a small tired smile on her face, "Thanks and I hope so." Then she lended her his hand so as to be a good sport to help him up. As she waited for him to take her offered hand, she glanced over towards the stands where Avery and her dad were sitting to see her dad grinning from ear to ear. She smiled back at him before having her attention go back to Zane.

Cody watched the match as it continued and then clapped with everyone else, smiling as well and glad to see that she had improved a lot. He hadn't seen the moves that she had done before, the zig-zag and butterfly motions, and wondered if she had learned those moves from her dad, uncle and grandpa.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane took her hand and got up, then lifted it above her head. "Your winner!" He shouted proudly and leaned close muttering in her ear. "Don't worry about me. I'll handle my dad. It's probably best if you avoid him as much as possible. Unlike me, he has no restraints when it comes to women. I won't let him touch you." He said softly with a grin. "The look on your old man's face is worth the defeat I look forward to seeing you at the ball. Hope you like red. My gift to your is in your room." He let go of her hand, went and picked up his blade, sheathed if and headed back to the tents. In the stands his father was shoving and yelling at people to move before storming off after his son. His mother was crying, hiding her face knowing this spelled bad news for her precious boy.

Avery couldn't help it, he screamed and cheered as loudly as the rest of the crowd, tears of joy running down his cheeks.

((Choose her dress!

one

Two

three (left one)

four

And his outfit is on the far right. in this one))

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Alex smiled at Zane after he stood up with her help and then when it was raised above her head and she heard what he said to the crowd, she smiled even more when she heard all of the cheers. Her brother and their dad's cheers were the loudest and that made her even happier. When she heard what he muttered in her ear she nodded and then said, "He doesn't know that I'm actually a woman though. You got me something? I do like red and I can't wait to see you at the ball either." She then headed towards the castle and her dad seeing her do that got up and went in with her but a few feet or so behind her because other people were also heading inside. She went upstairs to her room and found the red dress on her bed and covered her mouth in surprise and a bit of happiness before putting it on quickly with a gold necklace that she had also gotten while she had been at the market the other day but she didn't put any shoes on. The dress was long enough to cover her feet so no one would know that she didn't have shoes on. When she opened her door after she was ready she saw her dad there and for a minute there was a bit of an awkward silence before he said with a smile, "I'm proud of you and your brother. He doesn't know that yet but I'll tell him soon. You've improved quite a lot so I think I'll allow you to stay here to learn even more. Avery's penmanship has also improved as well as his manners that you were supposed to learn. I'll let him stay there too so that he can be a scribe like he wants and you can be a knight like you want to be so that you can continue our line of knights even if you will be the first female in our family as well as history."

Alex was surprised to actually hear him say that he was proud of her as well as Avery before saying in reply with her own smile, "Thank you dad and I'm surprised to hear that you're proud of me and Avery. He was nervous that you weren't proud of him but disappointed in him instead. I think he'll be glad that he'll be able to stay at the convent and I'm especially happy that I can stay here. Will I be dancing with you later?"

"I'll tell him the good news at the ball and yes. You look nice by the way and that Zane boy should be lucky to dance with you," Marcus said in reply and with a knowing smile.

"How did you know I like him?" Alex asked with a small blush on her face. "By the way I saw him talk to you," Marcus said before leading her downstairs by offering her his arm. Alex put her hand in the crook of his arm and walked with him towards the ball room.

Cody headed inside himself and went straight to his room to get ready for the dancing later. He got dressed in a navy suit and a nice white button-down shirt and a black tie. After he was done getting dressed, he headed towards the ball room.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery went up to his room to put on the next dress. He really liked this one because of the dark purple and it looked like lilacs, his favorite flower. The top was also very modest and would hide his secret well. Slipping on his shoes he did his hair in a braided bun with a lilac hair pin then went down to the ball room and joined his sister and father.

Zane came down a little late with his mother on his arm. It was hard to tell if he was leaning on her or she on him. Her eyes where red and puffy. Zane walked like a board was attached to his back and limping, and a darkening bruise was around one eye that he attempted to conceal with his hair. And even though he had a cut lip, he was grinning from ear to ear leading his mother to where Alex was standing with her family. "Mother, I'd like to introduce you to Alexandra, She prefers Alex and her sibling Avery. Alex, this is my beautiful mother Rayna. I will be dancing with Alex tonight." He spoke softly.

Rayna studied the woman in red for a moment then thins seemed to click. "Oh, you where...... " Zane shook his head and pressed a finger to his lips than handed Alex a mask. "You're still reconcilable. I bought this at a masquerade shop, it should hide who you are." It was a half mask that covered the eyes and nose, keeping her defining features hidden and her identity a secret.

His mother smiled. "What a charming lovely lady you are miss. I am very glad i can meet you now."

Alex smiled at Avery when he joined her and their dad and then her smile faded just a bit when she saw Zane. She took the mask with a nod of thanks after hearing the introductions between her and his mom. She put the mask on before saying in reply to his mom's greeting with the smile back on her face somewhat, "It's nice to meet you as well. I hope you haven't heard anything bad about me." She then turned to Zane and asked with a concerned expression now on her face, "Are you sure that you're able to dance? If you're in too much pain, we don't have to dance. Also I wish to thank you for this dress. It's beautiful."

Cody spotted Avery and company shortly after Zane approached them with his mom on his arm and went up to them afterward. "You look beautiful," he said in greeting to Avery before spotting the older man next to him and figured that was Avery and Alex's dad. "It's nice to meet you sir. My name's Cody," he said with a smile as a greeting to the older knight with an offered hand.

Marcus smiled at Avery when he came down to stand beside him and Alex before noticing the other boy that came in with a woman who he presumed was his mom and ended up being right when he made the introductions between his daughter and the latter's mom. He then turned when he noticed and heard another boy speak that had just approached them and also saw the offered hand. "It's nice to meet you as well young man. I'm Marcus and I'm Alex and Avery's dad," he said in reply with a smile of his own before firmly shaking his hand before dropping it afterward.

Edited by Dragonpelt

"I'm fine. It's not my first time. The pain ebbs after a while. You have such moxy and fire. Red suits you quite finely." He said taking her hand and kissing it lightly. Rayna laughed. "My dear, he practically sang praises about you! He adores the fact that you could easily tell him your mind, and are brave enough to put him in his place." Zane dropped her hand and flushed looking at his feet. "Mother..." He said softly with a groan of annoyance.

Avery blushed and looked down shyly. "Thank you for such an exquisite gown sir knight. " He said formally. "Your display of your skills today was astonishing and enthralling to watch such a spectacle you and this young man here are exceptionally skilled. I say you both have truly mastered the fine art of sword play. I look forward to tomorrow's display of whit tomorrow. As for you Sir Zane..." He turned to Zane with a guarded, yet pointed look. "How prey tell did you discover the deception my twin had cast?" He asked.

Zane flushed, then paled glancing at Marcus. "To shorten a long story, I noticed that she moved differently than the other boys do. That, and the secretcy and demanding of a separate accommodation was a factor as well. " He glanced at Cody. "Why did you ask such a question when one doesn't know about-" "I know it's not lady like to interrupt a gentleman, however I have told him of mine actions. His acceptance of such is.... both refreshing and relieving. I am one of honor and do not like deceivers. They are villainous thieves of the truth. However my present situation calls for such, it did not feel right to continue such a deception to one I have grown to car-......."He cleared his throat. "Consider a friend"

Alex nodded before she blushed when she heard what he said while he also kissed the back of her hand. She had never been kissed there before and she never thought that she would ever be kissed there and by a cute knight trainee no less. "Oh I didn't think he thought all of that about me," she said in reply to what Rayna said still with the blush on her cheeks before she heard the other conversations going on.

"You don't have to be so formal around me or your dad you know. You can just talk like you would normally and you're welcome," Cody said before he heard the question and statement between him and Zane. He had been about to ask what the rest of the question that his friend was going to ask him would have been, but he didn't get a chance to. "May I have this dance?" he asked Avery after the conversation seemed to be over, and offered his hand to the other.

Alex listened to everything that was said and seemed to not really understand what was being transpired, but that was okay because she didn't need to. "Would you like to have our dance now and outside or would you rather do it later and in here instead?" she asked Zane as she had her attention go back to being on him after the conversations seemed to be over between her brother and him.

Edited by SkySong278

Avery nodded shyly to Cody's question about wanting to dance, placing his feminine, slender hand in his. When they were away from his father he muttered softly. "I wanted to impress my dad. My vocabulary improved, and I'm supposed to act like a lady. That is how a lady speaks. " He says getting into position, ready to dance.

"Your twin wished to know how I knew that you where a woman. Then I was going to ask why he was asking that, for Cody didn't know, however he informed me that Cody does know about you and his switching, not being able to continue the lie with Cody, being his friend who accepts who he is." He explained to Alex's confused look then turned to her father. "I greatly apologize for my lack of introduction sir Marcus. I am Zane." He held out his hand. "You have a strong willed woman. I saw that grin on your face when she knocked down my blade. That would be the second time she beat me. I would love to learn such unique moves. She tells me that you, your brother and father all trained her. My blood line goes back many generations. If you would allow her to continue her training... I would be honored to be presented along with the first woman in all of history to be knighted. " He looked to Alex. "Outside would be best. Less people, and plenty of fountains and benches to sit upon. There's less chance to have my back bumped."

"Oh okay. I understand now," Alex said in reply to what Zane explained to her about what Avery said and asked him earlier before hearing the conversation with her dad.

"It's very nice to meet you as well young man," Marcus said in reply to Zane's greeting with a smile on his face before shaking the offered hand. "Thank you. You might also come to realize later that she's also very stubborn. Yes that's correct and I have told her my decision on the matter but I guess she hasn't told you yet. I'll let her tell you the news," he said in reply to the rest of what the former said before he had turned his attention back to being on Alex.

"Okay and maybe we can do that after you finish talking to my dad," she said in reply before realizing that she should probably put shoes on now so she added a few minutes later, "I'm going to run back up to my room to put some shoes on. I'll be right back." She then ran back the stairs, went straight to her room, took out a pair of flat shoes, put them on, closed the door to her room afterward, and then ran back down the stairs to where she had left her dad and Zane.

"I think I saw an impressed look on your dad's face when I looked at him briefly while you were talking and oh okay," Cody said in reply while also getting in position for dancing before he started to lead them to the rhythm of the song that the orchestra was playing.

Edited by SkySong278

Zane waited for her then took her hand leading her out into the garden where he got into position and started the slow waltz. "So what is the news that you should tell me? I assume it is good?" He asked.

" He did? Do you really thing he'd let me stay and become a lady? " He asked. He practically glided across the polished marble. "I hope you didn't get too hurt today.

Alex walked outside with Zane and started to dance with him before hearing the questions he asked. "He's going to let me stay here to train. He said that he was glad that I was improving with my sword skills that he, my uncle, and my grandpa taught me as well as adding some new ones to my expertise. He also said that he was going to let me be the first female knight in our family," she said in reply with a smile as she continued to dance with him. "Oh I forgot to tell you that you look nice in red, too. It makes your hair and eyes stand out."

Cody nodded in reply to the question before hearing the statement after Avery seemed to glide across the marble floor of the ballroom. "I didn't. I only got a few scratches during the sword fights but a bruised collarbone that no doubt your sister told you about. They'll all heal in a few days but I didn't get too seriously injured so nothing too major to be worried about," he said in reply to it while continuing to dance with him.

Edited by SkySong278

"Thats why I like the color. Really? That's wonderful!" He grinned and spun her around. "Now I can see you get stronger, and support you when you reveal yourself. " He smiled pulling her close. "I know you heard what I told Cody at your first day. Not many women I have met are as strong as you are. What I mean to say is... I like you Alex. A lot.. it would be strange in training, however when we... get out I'd like to um.." He flushed and let her go, walking to the flower bushes then back, doing this again before saying. "I would like to court you, if you'll allow me to my lady."

(Nervous Zane strikes again!)

"Nothing too major? It's still concerning to me! I worry about you as much as I do my sister. Then again, you are a knight.. I guess it's hard not to get a few scratches and bruises during such fights. I don't know how you can do that. I could barely lift a sword let alone intentionally harm someone with it. " He muttered softly.

((aww wub.gif))

"Oh and yep. I'm excited," Alex said in reply to his first short statement as well as the question before she was spun around by him. She then heard his other statement and said in reply, "I'm not sure when I'm going to do that yet. When do you think I should?" She was then surprised when she was pulled close by him before she heard his other statements including the one where he said that he'd like to court her when they got out of training. "I like you a lot too, Zane. Maybe I did overhear a little bit of what you told him but not the rest of it. I wouldn't mind you courting me at all after our training's done," she said in reply after he came back from being near the rose bush to stand in front of her again.

"You're that concerned about me? We get injured a lot during training and even during these fights but we only get minor scratches mostly during the sword fights. It's the jousting that we end up getting a lot of bruises from but we always heal from them. I could always try to teach you how to hold and fight with a sword if you'd like me to," Cody said in reply to everything that Avery said while spinning him around on the ballroom floor.

Edited by SkySong278

"You should tell everyone after your knighthood, so what is done is done. The king can't unknight someone who he has given the title to on paper and in front of his subjects then sealed with his ring." He explained. He looked down, ears pink. He scuffed his toe on the paving stones. "I-I would ask your father first... my mom would chew off my ear if I didn't. " He said softly. Another trainee came outside. "Hey~ Zane! I can't believe you forfeit like that... I thought you wanted to make your dad proud...... oh? Who's this wonderful lady?" He said, it was the first one that Alex was up against this afternoon. He kissed the back of Alex's hand and introduced himself before looking at Zane. "By the way, where is Alex? I'd like to congratulate him on his skills. I've never seen such moves!"

"This is lady Alexandra, Alex didn't feel well and retired early to his room. Impressive wasn't it. The round was either knock out or forfeit would determine the winner. My father wouldn't be proud unless I knocked him out and kept hitting until the refs pulled me off. Such brutality wasn't something I'd like to do in front of the ladies, and I admire Alex's spirit. He doesn't give up easily. It was the only option to end things peacefully. And besides, Alex's father and sister was watching. I'd rather not have them hate me." He explained.

The lad laughed and looked at the masked woman. "You are a lucky lady to dance with him miss! The man is practically a saint!" He smacked Zane's back playfully however his grin was quickly wiped away when Zane looked to be in severe pain, tears from his eyes and his mouth open in a silent cry. The boy asked Zane questions concerned, however Zane didn't respond, but limped heavily to a bench to ease himself on it. He unbuttoned his waistcoat and had difficulty taking it off.

Once help was given, he was wearing a dark cream colored linen shirt under all the red layers, and thin red lines crisscrossed his back, seeping through the bandages where his wounds were deepest. "You didn't get these when fighting.. did you?" The other trainee asked. Zane bit his lip, clutching the marble beach and biting his lip to fight the pain as he nodded stiffly. "Get... mom.." He hissed out.

---

"A sword wouldn't be very ladylike. And I don't like them anyway. However, after the trolls, I'd rather have a knife hidden under my skirts. If you can show me how to use it... I'd like that very much. So that way I'm prepared in case something happens like that again." He said as the song stopped, and was still holding his hand.

Alex nodded before Tyler came outside to talk to Zane a bit as well as ask who she was when he saw her. She was about to reply when Zane did it for her and she blushed just the slightest when he (Tyler) kissed the back of her hand like the latter (Zane) had done moments earlier before they had come outside to dance. She mentally thought to herself that she had to go up to her room to play sick after this was all done in case Tyler went there to check on her because she was supposed to not be feeling well. She adapted a look of concern when she saw Zane be in pain and then nodded when told to get his mom before practically running inside to see where Rayna was. She saw that she was still standing next to her and Avery's dad and went over there as quickly as she could.

"Lady Rayna something's wrong with Zane. He seems to be in a lot of pain and he told me to get you," she said formally when she had caught her breath enough to speak.

"I would be happy to teach you how to use a knife. Of course I'd have to get one for you first but after that yes I'll teach you," Cody said in reply before kissing the back of his hand after the song had ended and then looked towards Alex when he saw her run quickly over to where Zane's mom was. He couldn't hear what she said but he could tell that it was said in an urgent manner. "I wonder what's wrong," he said while still holding Avery's hand and looking in the direction that he was.

"Oh dear, oh dear, Sir Marcus would you please assist me?" She said and rushing outside before she got an answer. Once there, she asked Tyler to fetch cold water, and make sure it was fresh from the well too, then had Marcus help Zane back into the home, through the servant passageways and down to a unused part of the kitchen. Once there, she had Zane sit and told Alex to get a wooden spoon and a list of herbs from the cook as she carefully helped Zane out of his shirt and gingerly unraveled the bandages underneath. What looked like welts from lashes marred his back, it was hard to tell what was scarring and what was skin. Most where old and faded. When Tyler came back in she shooed him out saying to stand guard and helped her son ease onto a flat low table as she washed rags and made a salve for the marks.

Zane bit down on the handle of the spoon as his mother prepared to place a rag on his back. "Alex, stand in front of him.. sooth him if you can. This stings quite a bit, but it would also numb the pain."

"No, che goth," Zane said through the spoon. "Noth, cee me ike thch. I ine."

------

Avery blushed when he kissed the back of his hand. before he could respond his attention was pulled towards his sister dashing across the ball room. " I don't know, but it doesn't look good. You think it may be Zane?" he asked softly, seeing Zane's mother rush off to the outside.

Both Alex and her dad followed after Rayna when she hurried back outside and then Marcus helped Zane back into the castle through the passageways behind his mom before Alex was told to get the spoon and a list of herbs. She got the spoon, handed it to Rayna, and then went into the main area of the kitchen to get the requested list of herbs. Once she got the requested herbs, she rushed back into the unused area and then gave it to the older woman before nodding when told to soothe Zane. She moved to be in front of him like she was told to do and then comfortingly ran a hand through his hair when she heard what he tried to say through the spoon's handle.

"It's okay. I have a feeling that we'll have many more moments like this one where your dad's involved. Just squeeze my hand and bite down on the handle when you need to," she said softly as she stayed where she was and continued to try to comfort and soothe him.

-~-~-

"Maybe. I wouldn't be surprised if his dad was somehow involved in this. He beats Zane up when he doesn't do something he's supposed to do," Cody said in reply and then when his friend's mom was gone he turned his attention back to being on Avery. "What would you like to do now?" he asked curiously a few minutes later.

Edited by SkySong278

"outh!" He pointed to the door looking at her. Then Rayna put on a bandage. He howled and banged his fist on the table and clamped down on the spoon. "Easy my mohito." She continued to apply the salve and wrappings. Zane was in tears, gripping Alex's hand tightly.

_______

"I don't know. " Avery said. "I guess it looks like we're about to eat."

Alex shook her head when she saw him point at the door for her to leave. She was going to stay throughout the whole ordeal to help him be comfortable and hopefully more soothed. She didn't flinch at all when she heard him howl or when he gripped her hand tightly, using her free hand to try to soothe him.

-~-~-

"Okay then we'll eat and if Alex and Zane come join us we can ask them what happened," Cody said before leading him towards the tables where the food was going to be served.

((should we ts a bit to when Zane has the bandages on his back and in place and is either back in the ball room or outside with Alex or in his room resting or to somewhere else in the rp?))

Edited by Dragonpelt

(( yeah that sounds good.))

After the bandages where reapplied on to his back and Zane had stopped whimpering and crying he limped back into the ball room and sat down next to Alex and her family, along with his mom and cody. His dad was at the head table eyes narrowed at the masked woman beside him. Zane hadn't let go of her hand, looking warn and exhausted. In fact, he fell asleep a couple times during the third and desert course.

---------

Avery was concerned watching his sister and the other night carefully. He looked at cody. "Is.... that normal for his dad to do such things to him? Why doesn't he just... run away?"

Alex walked back to the ballroom with Zane when he was ready and was no longer crying or whimpering from the pain from his injuries that his dad had given to him. She rubbed his hand soothingly as she ate the food that she had spooned out for her from the variety that was on the table. She ignored the narrowed eye'd look that his dad was giving her as she continued to eat.

-~-~-

"Yes and he's tried that but his dad found him and beat him afterward. I know because he's told me and we're also childhood friends so I know what his dad does to him. He's asked me before if my dad would adopt him and I said that he probably would. I haven't asked him yet but I will soon. I'll just have to send him a letter but I'm going to do that later after the ball and when I'm getting ready for bed," Cody said in reply to Avery's statement and question.

Zane ate slowly and managed to wake up afterwards. "Can you help me to my room please? I'm so tired. Mom has to make nice with people. " He said as he stood and wobbled slightly before heading to the door. He drank a few glasses of wine to ease his pains. He had a blush across his nose and his eyes were glazed slightly. As the ball resumed afterwards. "It's, upstairs. I'm bunking with Cody. "

----

"Poor man. I can't imagine that. I hope you do, your like a brother to him, and he needs to be away from that man." He said in concern watching them go.

Alex nodded in reply to his question about her helping him to his room before following after him. "You'll have to lead me there because I don't know where Cody's room is in relation to mine," she said in reply to his last statement before opening the door of the ball room to reveal the staircase in front of them. She then made sure that the door was closed behind them before supporting him on his right side as she walked with him up the stairs. "I'm also a bit concerned about your dad doing something to me or finding out who I am while you're resting. He was looking at me with narrowed eyes while we were eating."

-~-~-

"I'll definitely do that because I don't like seeing him like this," Cody said in reply as he also watched Zane and Alex leave the room. "Want to dance again or want to walk around outside in the gardens?"

Edited by Dragonpelt