Cinnamin Draconna

ANSWERED:Separate Page for Badges

Badges have been a WONDERFUL addition to the game and I want to keep earning more and more of them. But the top of my scroll is getting cluttered and my row of Badges only has room for one or two more before they will need a second line.

So........... I suggest that our badges be moved to a page of their own.. excluding our Level Trophy. Leave the Level Trophy on the main page to act as the link to the Badges page. Move the trophy up to the menu line..

Cave - Account - Dragons - TROPHY BADGE - Help - Forums - Logout/Login

Moving it anywhere else would upset the balance of the layout, in my opinion.

Then the new Badges page could look like this (only with images too)..

Trophy Badge Image - Cinnamin Draconna has earned a Gold Trophy for collecting dragons. A gold trophy allows 7 egg slots and a total of 21 slots for growing dragons.

Easter Basket Image - participated in the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Festival of Eggs

Click the image to see the collected eggs

Magikarp Badge Image - has completed the Splash Challenge

Beat the Heat Summer Badge Image - participated in the Summer 2010 Release: Spitfires & Coastal Waverunners

etc

etc

etc

Comments? Discussion?

What about moving the trophies to a new place but intending of adding them to the front page, keep it on your scroll and just have a replacement link saying Trophies or for that matter if you are looking at my scroll Velociraptor's Scroll

That way people can still look at the trophies an individual person. Either way, it does have my support.

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Leave the level trophy link as it is and make a NEW badge (itty bitty trophy case?) that links to all the others. The level trophy link is very useful for people who just real quick want to know if they're locked or not, and I don't want to see that go away.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Granted, that's useful.. so I'd suggest that the smaller chart be moved to the top of the Badge Page/Trophy Case. Leave the bigger chart on the egg limits page tho, because that'a actually a different topic.

Part of what I'm suggesting is to reduce the links on the main Scroll page, so I'd prefer not to add any badges and move the trophy up to the menu line to reduce the clutter.

I prefer the original idea of this suggestion, where people can choose to put badges they don't want cluttering up their scroll in a trophy case badge. I don't really see the need to de-clutter the top of the scroll to the extent you're suggesting.

Leave the level trophy link as it is and make a NEW badge (itty bitty trophy case?) that links to all the others.  The level trophy link is very useful for people who just real quick want to know if they're locked or not, and I don't want to see that go away.

This pretty much. I could live with cluttered badges but I can't live without a link I click at least 20-30 times a day. A drawer sort of thing for badges collection like OP originally suggested would be nice as long as it's not mandatory and doesn't fiddle with the egg trophy. I have no problem displaying my badges whether it's 10 or gets to 100 in future. But there are some events I didn't complete and I would like to move those away since I don't want people to see my "half done" creations.

Edited by Amaterasu-sama

I like seeing all my badges and trophies on my main scroll, even if they eventually run over into two (or more) lines... I wouldn't like to have to click another link to see them all. So, I would prefer this to be optional, if it were introduced.

I love both ideas, having a trophy collection page and the option to not use it. At present, I have absolutely no trophies or badges of any kind and I'd love looking at them on the top of my scroll. Perhaps one day after a decade, when I've collected 10 lines worth, I might decide to use the option of sticking them in the trophy cabinet. smile.gif

I'd like to have all my badges displayed on my scroll, so I'd say 'yes' only if my scroll remains not affected and shows all my badges to all visitors.

Badges have been a WONDERFUL addition to the game and I want to keep earning more and more of them. But the top of my scroll is getting cluttered and my row of Badges only has room for one or two more before they will need a second line.

So........... I suggest that our badges be moved to a page of their own.. excluding our Level Trophy. Leave the Level Trophy on the main page to act as the link to the Badges page. Move the trophy up to the menu line..

Cave - Account - Dragons - TROPHY BADGE - Help - Forums - Logout/Login

Moving it anywhere else would upset the balance of the layout, in my opinion.

Then the new Badges page could look like this (only with images too)..

Trophy Badge Image - Cinnamin Draconna has earned a Gold Trophy for collecting dragons. A gold trophy allows 7 egg slots and a total of 21 slots for growing dragons.

Easter Basket Image - participated in the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Festival of Eggs

Click the image to see the collected eggs

Magikarp Badge Image - has completed the Splash Challenge

Beat the Heat Summer Badge Image - participated in the Summer 2010 Release: Spitfires & Coastal Waverunners

etc

etc

etc

Comments? Discussion?

This was the idea that I posted... then it got merged with an older thread that I couldn't find on search.. so it kind of got lost in the shuffle.

This was the idea that I posted... then it got merged with an older thread that I couldn't find on search.. so it kind of got lost in the shuffle.

I think your idea is nice, it adds the link to a trophy case page in a very obvious spot.

With your idea, the menu would look like this:

user posted image

To match the existing method for naming pages, I'd prefer this:

user posted image

I think it makes sense that there be a way to view your trophies from the menu bar. There's already a way to view your dragons so why not make a way to view your trophies when a /trophies page gets made. You proposed using the level trophy as a way to get to the Trophies page but I don't like that very much because that's the way you get to the page with your egg limits. It should be a trophy case badge instead (likely the one that I made).

I'm not sure about including specific information on how each trophy was "won." It just seems too much extra information that isn't really needed. The trophies don't currently give that information so I'm not sure why it'd be needed now that they're going to a new page.

Edited by Vrack

One mistake about my menu bar layout.. I actually meant for the actual trophy badge to be added to the menu bar, so it would be noticeable.

Cave - Account - Dragons - TROPHY IMAGE - Help - Forums - Login/Logout

Click the trophy and go to the new page, and the little chart from the Egg Limits page would be centered at the top..

Trophy Eggs Total

Gold (trophy image) 7/7 14/21

We don't need the entire egg limits page to check our status, just the little chart at the bottom of the egg limits page. If you do need the egg limits page, it would still be accessible from the Help menu.

Then the other badges would be listed below that...

BUT... if an actual trophy case type thingie was preferred, that's cool with me too. As long as the images for the clickable badges were still clickable. Those pages are already built, they'd just need their links updated.

Attempted a split for you.

I prefer the case myself. ^^;;

So do I. Especially if this alternative would want an IMAGE in among the text on the menu bar.

I also prefer the case. You can't hide away the scroll level trophy, it's just too useful for both scroll owner and visitor. And since the trophies line is going to be there anyways, it's easier to just have a case that links to the rest of the trophies on that line.

Plus, how would you view someone else's trophies with your system? Adding a link to the account / dragons / help etc line would only link to your own trophies. It has to be -something- on the scroll itself that links to the hidden trophies on a scroll you're visiting.

Having it up there just seems clumsy and unnecessary to me.

Other than the trophy itself what badges really need to be on your scroll page?

If I click on MY trophy, I see my status.. I can't click on YOUR trophy, to see your status. The option isn't available, your trophy is not clickable for me. I can tell your level from the trophy color; gold, silver, bronze.

Magicarp, Beat the Heat Summer, Carrot Cave, 2012 Holiday Cooking (pie), 2013 Halloween Event, 2015 Halloween Event, 2015 Holiday Event, and 2016 Halloween Event are also NOT clickable.

2010 Egg Basket, 2010 Trick-or-Treat, 2010 Tree Decorating, 2011 Haunted House, 2011 Holiday Event, 2012 Valentine's Day, 2012 Halloween Event, 2012 Holiday Cooking (house), 2013 Valentine's Day, 2013 Holiday Event, 2014 Valentine's Day, 2014 Halloween Event, 2014 Holiday Event, 2015 Valentine's Day, and the 2016 Valentine's Day ARE clickable.

But why would I be clicking them? I might check out someone else's collection during the actual event.. but after it's over, I would probably never look again unless asked.

So why do I need more than just my Gold Trophy to show on my scroll page? The only need I see for any other badge is possibly using the little mini-trophy case for players who have yet to earn a trophy.. then once they have reached Bronze level, the case image would change to a trophy image. I don't see a need for both images.

Plus, how would you view someone else's trophies with your system? Adding a link to the account / dragons / help etc line would only link to your own trophies. It has to be -something- on the scroll itself that links to the hidden trophies on a scroll you're visiting.

Once the trophy case page is available, your trophy WOULD BE clickable for me, so I could see your trophy case. When I click MY trophy, I'd see my trophy case AND my scroll status.

So there's no need for 2 images.. just the trophy OR the mini case depending on trophy level.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

Other than the trophy itself what badges really need to be on your scroll page?

If I click on MY trophy, I see my status.. I can't click on YOUR trophy, to see your status. The option isn't available, your trophy is not clickable for me. I can tell your level from the trophy color; gold, silver, bronze.

Magicarp, Beat the Heat Summer, Carrot Cave, 2012 Holiday Cooking (pie), 2013 Halloween Event, 2015 Halloween Event, 2015 Holiday Event, and 2016 Halloween Event are also NOT clickable.

2010 Egg Basket, 2010 Trick-or-Treat, 2010 Tree Decorating, 2011 Haunted House, 2011 Holiday Event, 2012 Valentine's Day, 2012 Halloween Event, 2012 Holiday Cooking (house), 2013 Valentine's Day, 2013 Holiday Event, 2014 Valentine's Day, 2014 Halloween Event, 2014 Holiday Event, 2015 Valentine's Day, and the 2016 Valentine's Day ARE clickable.

But why would I be clicking them? I might check out someone else's collection during the actual event.. but after it's over, I would probably never look again unless asked.

So why do I need more than just my Gold Trophy to show on my scroll page? The only need I see for any other badge is possibly using the little mini-trophy case for players who have yet to earn a trophy.. then once they have reached Bronze level, the case image would change to a trophy image. I don't see a need for both images.

Once the trophy case page is available, your trophy WOULD BE clickable for me, so I could see your trophy case. When I click MY trophy, I'd see my trophy case AND my scroll status.

So there's no need for 2 images.. just the trophy OR the mini case depending on trophy level.

So your idea is to have a link in the menu to view your own personal trophies and the egg limits page is accessible by clicking on your own level trophy. On anyone else's scroll, clicking their level trophy would lead to their trophy page. Correct?

Also, I would like to point out that the trophy case sprite that I have created is not available for use in the menu bar as you suggested in one of your previous posts. It is only meant to be in the line of badges. Therefore, you do not currently have permission to use it in this request.

My point is the trophy line already exists, and will continue to exist because we have to keep the level trophy prominently displayed for reference purposes. Because that line does and will exist, adding a link to trophies of any sort somewhere else is illogical and unnecessary, IMO. It is so much simpler just to have the link to the full set of trophies where the trophies are currently being displayed.

Plus the place you want to put the trophies link is used for important links that people might need to quickly and easily use. I personally wouldn't click on a link to my collection of trophies even once a month. There is no need to have it in such a prominent spot. Having it where trophies are currently displayed: on your "dragons" page scroll and on public scrolls is exactly the level of prominence and convenience that is functional.

Also, to distinguish a scroll with no trophies from one with hidden trophies, it makes sense to have a "trophy" of some sort that would be a special link to the hidden trophies. As such, a symbolic trophy case is logical.

I just don't understand your specific distaste for having two trophies displayed instead of one, and why you specifically want a link to trophies up where the important links are. (it just is not that vital to be able to view your trophies in only one click from anywhere on the site)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

user posted image

Why am I so adamant about reducing the number of images? Because of how cluttered the tops of our scrolls are. That's a copy of MY screen, once I changed back to the default layout... the top 3.5 inches are too full of 'stuff'. The Cave logo is HUGE.. then you have all the other 'stuff' that's all clumped up at the top. Not to mention that the 'scroll' portion of the screen is way too narrow for today's screen sizes/resolutions. Even with my screen resolution set to larger than normal, there's still at least 4 inches of wasted space on BOTH sides of my screen. If TJ increased the size of the 'parchment' area he'd have so much more room to work with.. and losing the badge line would be a BIG start.

What I want this suggestion to do is get rid of an inch worth of clutter by removing the badge line totally. Reduce the size of the 'your scroll' link and put the badge on the left side of that line. It's still basically in the same place, and without the badge line I can see more of my eggs/hatchlings without scrolling... which is another thing I'm trying to accomplish; seeing my growing things all at once. TJ needs to do some rearranging and decluttering to the top of the scroll page.. at least I think he does. My sense of layout is just not comfortable with how it's currently designed.. I just feel it could be so much better if the layout was improved.

But a cupboard image next to the trophy image would remove all the clutter. We need that trophy image for seeing what space other users have available when we are breeding for them, to name but one thing. My screen (though I use St Pat's) looks exactly like yours, and no problem.

If you want less space taken up on your page - if you use adblock, add element hider, and hide the big Dragon Cave at the top. That would save MUCH more space than losing an itty line of badges.

user posted image

But an IMAGE in among that line of text would look VERY wrong.

DAMN I resized that and STILL....

And in the default:

user posted image

And without the badges:

user posted image

How clean is that ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

The thing is, it looks like you have a very specific problem with the aesthetics of the site that most people don't have, either that or the others that share your problem fixed it for themselves and aren't suggesting that the entire site be changed. As Fuzz said, you can reduce the vertical height and visual clutter by blocking images you don't want. And if getting rid of the logo isn't enough, you could block every single trophy you own and make that line disappear for you too. That way your scroll is clean the way you want it without changing else's scrolls.

And if you still want to be able to view your hidden badges when you want, maybe you should go back to the thread this was originally merged with and give support to the trophy cabinet. It apparently isn't the ideal solution to your problem, but after you block the cave logo, couldn't it be good enough?

(honestly, if your goal was to declutter and redesign the top of your scroll, you could have done a better job describing what you wanted. From all I could tell, you were on a crusade against the trophies and that was it.)

I'm personally not sure that modifying the scroll link length and putting one (or two) images on that same line would look aesthetically good to me. And I'm never going to support putting a link to trophies, text or otherwise, in the cave / account / dragons etc section. It is just too inconsequential a link to be putting there, and some layouts (like Fuzz's green one) don't have room for more there. Maybe you could make a mock up of the format you think is ideal so we're not just using words to describe things.

I'm also not sure why you're so adamant about being able to view as many dragons as you can without scrolling. On my scroll, I scroll down a few inches and put my position in the absolutely ideal point to view as many growing things as possible, and it stays there if I refresh the page to see how they've grown.

You also say TJ should make the scroll wider to take advantage of the newer screens. But what would he use that extra space for? And then how would he cope with condensing that increased information on to the very small screens of mobile? Because if it's available on my scroll on my computer it should be available on my scroll on my ipod touch. That's the thing. Our computer screens are large and have better resolution than ever before and so can fit a lot. But more and more people are doing a majority of their internet access on phones with screens that are quite small. Yes, mobile layout is different to take this into account, but it still has to provide all the information and functionality of the big setup. If the information on the big setup is increased, the information on the mobile setup has to be as well.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I think she's thinking of something like this

user posted image

- not that I like it - I VERY MUCH don't, but I think that's the idea (apologies to Vrack for including the cupboard....)

I agree with you 100%, pokemonfan13

Since we're sharing images, here's what I actually think Cinnamon Draconna was describing...

If you have no trophy yet:

user posted image

Once you earn a trophy:

user posted image

Clicking on the trophy gives you a page such as:

user posted image

(Ignore the patchy-looking background, lol.) And you could click on things like the egg basket to see all your collected FoE eggs.

Which is nice and organized, but I prefer my trophy to lead me to the egg limits page to easily see how many eggs and how many total growing things I have, which is why I prefer the case idea. However, I would assume there would be an easy edit to this page that could show how many eggs/growing things you own.

She did say at one point that it could be to the SIDE of the text. But an icon up there looks messy and out of place - and she had also conceded that the trophy could stay on the scroll page.

I should have done it with the big Dragon Cave back in there (which shows, on yours, how little space would be gained, really !) but I was too lazy !

OK.. this is more what I had in mind... forgive the quality, I'm not a graphic artist..

user posted image

The Trophy would then lead to a page like this..

user posted image

I'm sure an actual artist could make it look pretty.. this is just to see the idea

I still would prefer a trophy case on the main scroll page.