brairtrainer

ADD/ADHD

So I've just been diagnosed with ADD, at the age of 23.

Adult ADD is something that isn't totally understood yet (it was thought as a childhood disorder that you outgrew, who knew?) and so not only am I now on medication and going through therapy to help the transition from not knowing, to knowing and treating I started wondering, who here on DC has ADD/ADHD? Who grew up with it and no longer takes medication? What do you do to handle the jumping around and the hyperfocus? Who uses medication and why? Feel free to share frustrations, tips, tricks, and in general 'Oh my ADD was really bad today' or 'My ADD really helped me today,' stories.

I had ADD as a kid, but wasn't hyper. I just had a hard time focusing. I took Ridaline for a few years, and it was horrible. It destroyed my appetite, gave me a really bad tick where I would cough and turn my head and it pretty much made me feel like a zombie. Mom took me off it and not a month later I heard a story where a kid had a heart attack caused by the same medication.

I don't know if I still have it now at the age of 27, but I'm not taking anything for it and I can focus much better. It took a few years for my appetite to return as well.

Edited by Syiren

From what I understand ADD never goes away, but can be misdiagnosed in children or over looked in others.

Unfortunately my ADHD was never addressed when I was a kid, so I did poorly in school without any help.

It has its upsides and downsides.

Hyperfocusing for long periods of time isn't good because it can lead to unhealthy habits for me. When my ADHD gets a hold of something it likes, it'll make me do it over and over again until I'm completely satisfied or completely exhausted. I really have no control over it.

On the other hand, it'll screw up my whole day by making it extremely hard to focus on anything, especially talking. I've missed important details because of it, gotten yelled at because of it, etc.

I don't currently take any medication, and it's mostly because I'm terrified of being on medication for stuff like that. It would make me a bit better sure but it also makes me paranoid because I fear it'll change who I am, that's what happened when I was on my anxiety medication, I believed I was being brainwashed.

I've heard from other people with ADHD that getting things to fiddle with in your hands and such, that aren't too distracting, can be helpful if you need to focus on something because it stimulates you. There are a lot of "stimtoys" you can buy from various websites. Some people like to chew on things, while others like to squeeze things with their hands, they make things specifically for this purpose.

I have no tips to offer on hyperfocus because I don't know how to handle that as it is.

I will say that yes the medicine does change you a little, but mostly I've noticed I've gone from spaghetti brain to easier to follow thoughts, and mostly notice the change now when the medicine wears off. Yes it is scary to go on it, but most doctors/nurse practitioners like to start on a low dose. I also had anxiety which lead to me being diagnosed with ADD (turned out the GAD was caused by the untreated ADD)

I was diagnosed as a kid. I did fine through primary school even after I started refusing to take medication. School was easy enough that I really didn't need to focus much, much less spend any time studying.

I found it was different in college though, I could no longer go without studying and I struggled immensely outside of class trying to get myself to study properly.

I was diagnosed as a kid. I did fine through primary school even after I started refusing to take medication. School was easy enough that I really didn't need to focus much, much less spend any time studying.

I found it was different in college though, I could no longer go without studying and I struggled immensely outside of class trying to get myself to study properly.

With the exception of being diagnosed and the medication I pretty much have the same story (infact it was how I was doing in school that and the teachers knowing I was able to regurgitate anything that made it so I wasn't diagnosed). Dealing with some of that in threapy on now though, didn't realize how truely angry I was about it until I started getting treatment.

Unfortunately my ADHD was never addressed when I was a kid, so I did poorly in school without any help.

It has its upsides and downsides.

Hyperfocusing for long periods of time isn't good because it can lead to unhealthy habits for me. When my ADHD gets a hold of something it likes, it'll make me do it over and over again until I'm completely satisfied or completely exhausted. I really have no control over it.

On the other hand, it'll screw up my whole day by making it extremely hard to focus on anything, especially talking. I've missed important details because of it, gotten yelled at because of it, etc.

I don't currently take any medication, and it's mostly because I'm terrified of being on medication for stuff like that. It would make me a bit better sure but it also makes me paranoid because I fear it'll change who I am, that's what happened when I was on my anxiety medication, I believed I was being brainwashed.

I've heard from other people with ADHD that getting things to fiddle with in your hands and such, that aren't too distracting, can be helpful if you need to focus on something because it stimulates you. There are a lot of "stimtoys" you can buy from various websites. Some people like to chew on things, while others like to squeeze things with their hands, they make things specifically for this purpose.

I have no tips to offer on hyperfocus because I don't know how to handle that as it is.

The right meds should not change your personality, or do anything but make it easier for your brain to function properly (i.e. Strattera aggravated my depression and Ritalin XR just made me irritable, but Concerta calms me down and makes it easier for me to sort-of function). Same with the anxiety meds, tbh; delusions are a very serious side effect.

I was diagnosed in, like... middle school, I think? Hard to say; being bullied kind of kills a gal's ability to remember anything, and my memory was never any good to begin with. I know that I was on meds and stopped taking them because ?????? in that time frame, though. It's been a problem for me since whenever the heck the ADHD made me fall behind developmentally*, though. :v I kind of scraped by in school until college, and then I had to drop out because nervous breakdowns aren't conducive to doing anything. I didn't start looking into meds for the ADHD specifically until after that; it took three tries to find something that worked without side effects, but when I got on Concerta it was like night and day. I mean, I'm still disabled to the point where I can't live independently, but it's easier for me to actually function when I have the cocktail right/remember to actually take my meds.

*ADHD is a developmental disorder that affects executive functioning; things like planning, organization, focus, remembering, and emotional control. It's not without reason that ADHD and autism are sometimes misdiagnosed as the other, and that tips for one (like the stim toys) can help with the other.

e: I should note that even as a child it was so severe that the doctor who diagnosed me could tell I had it almost immediately, and the only difference is that now my hyperactivity is most internalized, save for the stimming.

Edited by Guillotine

I was not diagnosed as a child, but I did learn, somewhere around age 30, that I had severe adult ADD. The biggest frustration for me is that I'll go to do or get something, but it only takes 2 seconds for me to get distracted and I'll totally forget to do or get what I had intended. Later on, something will remind me, and I'll once again make the trip to do or get what I was about to do in the first place.

The trick I use to keep focused is to use the ASL alphabet to remind me. For example, if I need to remember to check the mail, I'll form the letter M until I get to the Mail box, or a B if I need to remember to stop by the Bank on my way to work. (I'm sign language interpreter, so that helps.) It's pretty basic, but it helps to keep the idea in my mind long enough for it to stick.

I was not diagnosed as a child, but I did learn, somewhere around age 30, that I had severe adult ADD. The biggest frustration for me is that I'll go to do or get something, but it only takes 2 seconds for me to get distracted and I'll totally forget to do or get what I had intended. Later on, something will remind me, and I'll once again make the trip to do or get what I was about to do in the first place.

The trick I use to keep focused is to use the ASL alphabet to remind me. For example, if I need to remember to check the mail, I'll form the letter M until I get to the Mail box, or a B if I need to remember to stop by the Bank on my way to work. (I'm sign language interpreter, so that helps.) It's pretty basic, but it helps to keep the idea in my mind long enough for it to stick.

Funnily enough I'm learning ASL through my schools interperting program (will probably only get the Deaf Studies Certificate though, which school did you go to?). I find using the alphebet and the number system to be calming when I'm stressed. Any tips or tricks for remembering the language though? (I'm better with ASL then I was with French but had to take a semseter off so I'm going in a bit rusty with only some time spent signing to customers)

Funnily enough I'm learning ASL through my schools interperting program (will probably only get the Deaf Studies Certificate though, which school did you go to?). I find using the alphebet and the number system to be calming when I'm stressed. Any tips or tricks for remembering the language though? (I'm better with ASL then I was with French but had to take a semseter off so I'm going in a bit rusty with only some time spent signing to customers)

I actually learned by watching interpreters and interacting with the deaf. I took a semester of ASL in highschool, and another in college, but that's about it. Most of my interpreting is actually for my church, and is purely volunteer.

As far as tips for learning, use it. Sign along to the songs on the radio. Sign along to the television. Get together with a deaf person and chat with them. Signing is one of those things that if you don't use it, you'll start to forget it. Immersion is the best way to learn, in my opinion. Don't be shy. The deaf appreciate any attempt to communicate with them in their language, and most are pretty patient if they know you're still learning.

Edited by Blueocean

I actually learned by watching interpreters and interacting with the deaf. I took a semester of ASL in highschool, and another in college, but that's about it. Most of my interpreting is actually for my church, and is purely volunteer.

As far as tips for learning, use it. Sign along to the songs on the radio. Sign along to the television. Get together with a deaf person and chat with them. Signing is one of those things that if you don't use it, you'll start to forget it. Immersion is the best way to learn, in my opinion. Don't be shy. The deaf appreciate any attempt to communicate with them in their language, and most are pretty patient if they know you're still learning.

I will do that then (along with tracking down some refresher youtube videos that the school uses). smile.gif

I will do that then (along with tracking down some refresher youtube videos that the school uses). smile.gif

Aslpro.com is a great website for vocabulary, too. It's essentially an online dictionary of sorts.

To everyone else, I apologize for hijacking this thread with a total non-related conversation, but this IS the ADD thread. Hope everyone appreciates the irony. biggrin.gif

Edited by Blueocean

Aslpro.com is a great website for vocabulary, too. It's essentially an online dictionary of sorts.

To everyone else, I apologize for hijacking this thread with a total non-related conversation, but this IS the ADD thread. Hope everyone appreciates the irony. biggrin.gif

Its times like these I wish I had a like button xd.png

---

With the exception of being diagnosed and the medication I pretty much have the same story (infact it was how I was doing in school that and the teachers knowing I was able to regurgitate anything that made it so I wasn't diagnosed). Dealing with some of that in threapy on now though, didn't realize how truely angry I was about it until I started getting treatment.

Absolutely, one hundred percent the same. I was put in gifted programs and excelled in all my classes even though I spent every single period reading under my desk .I could remember what I heard while also focusing on my book. But the second I made it to college I struggled so completely, and one day I'm not paying attention because of course I've got this it's the basics easy peasy--the next day I'm drowning. No idea what's going on. No ability to focus while the teacher was speaking, but even if I tried none of it stuck and I would lose focus pretty frequently.

I was only recently diagnosed with ADD inattentive in October and I'm not on medications, both because I can't afford them and because the wait list just to see the psychologist who might or might not decide to prescribe me is on a four month wait list.

I was curious about other people who were diagnosed later and had to deal without knowing what you had. When I was younger I had insomnia, I couldn't shut my brain off before bed and I'd lay there for hours unable to sleep. I trained myself to use trigger thoughts to put me to sleep so I don't have that problem anymore but it's not the only thing I've had to struggle to adapt to. From the inability to show up on time, so all my clocks run fast, to having to memorize basic things like whether or not I showered in order of body parts so I don't uselessly rewash or have to drive home to make sure I locked the door. There are so many ridiculous hoops I have to make myself jump through just to do the basic things most people don't think about.

Being diagnosed was a relief because I finally knew that there was something wrong not just that I was incapable of basic human functions. But the diagnosis doesn't help with my lack of short term memory or the need to remind myself constantly to eat because I've been hyper-focused for six hours and haven't gotten up once.

I couldn't shut my brain off before bed and I'd lay there for hours unable to sleep. I trained myself to use trigger thoughts to put me to sleep so I don't have that problem anymore but it's not the only thing I've had to struggle to adapt to.

I have the same thing. Certain trains of thought help me to fall asleep. Others keep me awake for hours. I had just attributed that to being a writer, though. Hmmm.

I have the same thing. Certain trains of thought help me to fall asleep. Others keep me awake for hours. I had just attributed that to being a writer, though. Hmmm.

I'm also a writer, at least attempt to be. I've never thought to contribute it to that, though goodness knows I can spend hours laying in bed thinking about characters. Mostly it just wouldn't slow enough to let me sleep, is that what it's like for you?

I'm also a writer, at least attempt to be. I've never thought to contribute it to that, though goodness knows I can spend hours laying in bed thinking about characters. Mostly it just wouldn't slow enough to let me sleep, is that what it's like for you?

Yep. They won't cooperate when you're trying to write, but lay down and try to sleep, and the greatest bursts of inspiration will dazzle and delight. %@% muse.

So question for people taking medication, specifically stimulants, have you ever felt sick until you take your medication and then felt better afterwards? only to find that afterward the medication wears off the sick feeling returns?

So question for people taking medication, specifically stimulants, have you ever felt sick until you take your medication and then felt better afterwards? only to find that afterward the medication wears off the sick feeling returns?

Probably just that you've adjusted to being on it and your body gets grumpy when you're not. It happens; if it's bugging you or is very severe, you can try to talk to whoever prescribed you the meds and get their opinion. You could probably offset it a bit by not taking your meds for a couple of days with doctor approval, since that would break the physical dependency a bit.

Obligatory "I Am Not A Doctor" note and reminder that if it's bad you should talk to an actual doctor. Since, y'know, they can actually help you and it could be a sign of something serious (although imo that's unlikely, it could happen).

I have one of the two, but I can never keep straight which one. I see a counselor for it weekly, and we're working on getting accommodations for school because it's such a hindrance.

I have one of the two, but I can never keep straight which one. I see a counselor for it weekly, and we're working on getting accommodations for school because it's such a hindrance.

I wouldn't worry overmuch on which subtype you are. They're all treated similarly, and how ifferent symptoms manifest can vary even within subtypes.

...Which reminds me, I should start looking into federal insurance so that my medical costs don't skyrocket after my birthday. bleeeeehhhhh.

Probably just that you've adjusted to being on it and your body gets grumpy when you're not. It happens; if it's bugging you or is very severe, you can try to talk to whoever prescribed you the meds and get their opinion. You could probably offset it a bit by not taking your meds for a couple of days with doctor approval, since that would break the physical dependency a bit.

Obligatory "I Am Not A Doctor" note and reminder that if it's bad you should talk to an actual doctor. Since, y'know, they can actually help you and it could be a sign of something serious (although imo that's unlikely, it could happen).

Figured out what was actually happening (note to self, depoprevera only prevents periods when not interacting with other medication and may give you double period issues for a day e.e).

Also, found this on one of my ADD/ADHD facebook pages http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolinekee/distra...-me#.wey0929Xvg

What does everyone think of it?

Figured out what was actually happening (note to self, depoprevera only prevents periods when not interacting with other medication and may give you double period issues for a day e.e).

Also, found this on one of my ADD/ADHD facebook pages http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolinekee/distra...-me#.wey0929Xvg

What does everyone think of it?

So very, very true. Especially the last one.

Bleh, I know why the past few days have been so bad for me brain-wise but that doesn't make it less frustrating when I have to focus to do a thing and don't have access to a Concerta refill.