pudding

Reincarnated Remake

Derek listened to Ledraes as he told him about Arkin's past. How his mother was a human, a tavern keeper in wolf territory, and mistaken for one of a drunken general werewolf's wives (for they have more then one for reproductive reasons and only one true mate chosen by the wolf side) and when it became apparent she was pregnant, she was chased away. She had him in the human territory and-disguised as a human using coal in his hair among other things- the young Arkin became a sword Smith and skilled swordsman in his apprenticeship with a iron worker.

At eighteen he went to find his father, instead he found a injured wolf woman and her younger sister in a cabin outside wolf territory. The woman was Neiva his mate (and her injury was caused by his dad's 'first born'), and he stayed there to help her and protect her. Arkin didn't get involved with the war until he came back home with Neiva's little sister from visiting his mother and found his home burned down with his mate killed by the Evil One's soldiers. At some point after that he met Viziel and become friends.

Derek didn't recall anything, only anger at his father and the pain at the women's name. " thank you for telling me this. Now.. is my friend awake? I'd like to see him..."

"Your friend has woken and I can take you to him. However, while he is currently stable, he may injure himself if upset. I will have to sit in on any conversations you have so I can ensure he does not become stressed or possibly hurt himself." Ledraes moved out of the room at this point and gestured for Derek to follow him, descending slightly into the darker parts of the cavern. Before they reached the bottom, however, he reached a room that had been sealed off with a curtain made of leaves. Brushing the curtain to the side, he gestured for Derek to enter the room if he wanted to. Inside the room was a small bed where James was laying, looking over a few papers he had been given. His shoulder was bandaged up quite a bit but he looked much better than before.

Derek followed him and peeked in the room. "James?" He said softly, not entering. "I understand if you still aren't talking to me, but listen ok? I understand why you don't want the memories of these people they think we are to return. I...... don't want them either. Not knowing now what sorrow this person, Arkin went through. The only thing I want to come back is how to beat this thing so we can get home. I'm sorry about pushing you into this. And at the clearing, before you got bit, I thought you were having a anaphylactic shock to something. Like how I get around apples at home. I was trying to help you. These people don't have a epipen on hand. I had to make do with what I had."

James glanced upwards at Derek, listening silently as he spoke. His expression was clearly masked and his face only portrayed a flat, expressionless look. When Derek finished speaking, he glanced down at the papers he was looking at then folded them in half and neatly tucked them under the blanket that was covering his lower body. Sighing, he dug his claws slightly into the blanket and looked up at Derek once more. "You weren't too far off, actually," He admitted. "The elves were helpful enough to tell me the few things they know about this species. There's some unusual biological quirks that they discovered...er, afterwards." He looked downwards at his lap for a few moments then looked back up again. Taking the strange stone out of his pocket, he rolled it over in his hands a few times with a small sigh. "I was thinking maybe I should activate this thing."

Derek came in and stood by his friend. "Want me to be here when you do? And perhaps you should tell ash about the...biological quirks. So he knows to have alternative medicine for you." He offered.

"I'd rather not discuss the specifics," James replied with a frown, looking away at that. Clearly, whatever he had been told bothered him slightly since he didn't want to talk about it all that much. Looking down at the rock, he frowned and began to press his finger against the small marking when a hand suddenly cut between his own and the stone. Ledraes had moved across the room in an instant and was staring down at James, clearly looking concerned.

"Apologizes but I cannot allow you to do that," He replied sternly. "The consequences of that will be quite bad."

"Either it will explode in your face or stress you out enough to worsen you wound. I would listen to the elf on that. Perhaps later when you are better. And.. away from this place. The tremors were a little concerning. Although, this place if beautiful. I'll bring you the picture I drew of the outside. " He smiled a little at James to lighten the mood in the room.

“…Right. Exactly.” The elf gently pried the stone away from James’s hands and took it in his own. “I will put it someplace safe until the time comes for you to activate it. Until then, you must relax.” James frowned slightly but let the elf take the stone from him. Clearly relieved, the elf held the stone between his hands as he looked between Derek and James. “The tremors are quite common around here, I can assure you. It is nothing to be concerned about. I will go store this rock in a safe location now.” With that, the elf quickly shuffled out of the room, headed deeper into the Roots. James watched him leave the room then looked up at Derek.

“So what does it look like outside? I woke up in this weird room and they haven’t let me leave at all so I don’t really know where we are."

"Hmmm... like Galadhrim and Rivendell combined with only trees. Mostly like Galadhrim..... the wood elves home. It's really amazing! He.. seems a little odd. You should have looked at that earlier.... my past... Arkin's past here.... it sounds so... sad and lonely. I don't want to say anything about it....." that wasn't like him. He always talked about what bothers him... but ... his life here wasn't too far off the mark as it was back home, well the family thing not really the mate thing. Just.... too much.

"At least you know something now," James replied with a sigh. "The elves couldn't tell me anything about my past. Apparently no one had even met me before, they just sort of found my body next to yours.” He sighed loudly, leaning back against the bed. Suddenly, the tremors returned, shaking the room briefly before fading away just as quickly as the first ones had. Looking concerned, James sat upright again and frowned. “Do you have any idea what that was?” He asked, throwing the sheet off of him and moving to climb to his feet. It couldn’t be natural how much the ground was shaking.

Derek shook his head."no... but they either are on a fault line or a active volcano and neither of those are good for the people here. He said it always shook... I don't like being under ground with it shaking like this. Have you seen San Andreas? Or Dante's peak? Never good under ground..."

Frowning, James walked towards the door, pushing the curtain out of the way. The cavern was massive but the pathways all seemed to head either up or down. There were less and less pod-like rooms as they went down and it very quickly faded into black. In the dark, there seemed to be some kind of glow but even with his current vision, it was impossible to see down there. "We should head up," James replied, rubbing his bandaged shoulder with a hand. It ached a little bit but he was honestly feeling much better now. "I'm with you on this one, I don't want to be underground right now."

"We shouldn't have let him take your rock. Get your things, I'll carry them for you. Let's go get Asheron too. He's right across from my room. Where's Fia?... why am I asking you that, you wouldn't know... ... Let's go." He lead the way back up to his room and got his things.

James followed, looking around at the underground place in confusion. He hadn't really realized how deep they were underground or the exact layout of everything going on. So he looked around in awe at the strange and unusual layout. Very quickly, they reached Asheron's room where James stopped and leaned against the side of the pod, his eyes closed slightly. It probably would have been a better idea to rest more but what could he do?

Asheron was still out sleeping. He snores a little bit as his horse and human sides rose and fell.

Derek gathered his things into a pack and tied the straps around his neck before lifting his friend up easily. "Ash! Ash.. come on get out of the ground, I think there might be a earthquake or something about to happen." "No, no... we're fine... sleepy..." the centaur yawned and shifted a little sleeping again. "No use...I'll set you outside and carry him out."

((Okay I think I've got this right.))

James opened his eyes again as Derek lifted him up, clearly surprised by this gesture. Being on his back felt pretty uncomfortable for some reason he couldn't quite place but he managed to refrain from freaking out. He had just fixed everything with Derek, he didn't need them to have another fight over something this stupid.

"Stop!" A voice suddenly yelled out and James stared at the pathways leading towards them in surprise. The elf was quickly moving back up towards them, clearly looking concerned. "Where are you going? It's not safe for you to be out and around just yet."

Derek turned around. "I don't mean to be rude Sir, but where we come from, shaking like that means one of two things: A volcano is going to erupt, or a earthquake is about to happen. For both, being below ground isn't safe. You want him relaxed, move him to a higher place because he jumped up when it shook again and we both decided that we don't want to die, so we gotta get to higher ground. Am I making any sense to you? Honestly, I'm not relaxed either. I've been through a earthquake before when visiting California. They get scary!" His eyes where wide and tail rigged as a plank as he said this.

"No, please," The elf replied, holding his hands up with his palms facing the two of them. "You do not understand." He stopped several feet away, clearly wanting to push forward but not wanting to upset either of them. "The tremors are not a result of either of those and the safest place for you all to be is inside of the Roots. We weren't expecting him to wake up but it looks as though he will soon and we can't be sure he will respond well. The safest place for you will be inside the Roots until he wakes up and we can ensure he is calm."

"He........... why is my mind thinking it's a Dragon or something like that..... James... any ideas? If this thing would be outside... I'd be indoors. " He looked at James. "Your decision man. " Derek was completely confused and definitely scared. If this "he" was big enough to shake the earth,..... He wouldn't want to mess with it.

"I can assure you, he is not a dragon. His temper might be rather close, however." The elf frowned and glanced briefly down towards the bottom of the Roots. Quickly looking back towards the two, his frown deepened. "Please just remain inside one of the pods for now," The elf said. "You can stay with your friend in this one here if you like but unless you prefer being violently wrestled to the ground, it's just better to wait until we calm him down. From what I remember, he doesn't take too well to strangers in his home."

"I guess we should wait with Ash," James replied with a sigh, giving Derek a look that clearly showed he did not want to wait with Ash and instead wanted to find out what the heck the Elf was talking about.

Edited by pudding

Derek went as white as his hair and went to his room laying James down on the bed. "I-i don't know about this. I know that tone and that look. You know how I am about fighting! And your hurt. You nearly fell asleep out there. Besides, we're watched like a hawk, how are we going to get past the elves?" He whispers.

The elf relaxed as the two went into the pod and quickly ran upwards, moving to talk to the other elves that were above ground. Inside the pod, James huffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "Well if it isn't a dragon, what is it?" He asked. Of course they couldn't answer that but he wanted to know quite badly. "Look, I just want to know what it is down there," He replied but his eyes began to close. He was just too tired. "Besides, you wouldn't have to fight. I mean, you're so tall now nobody would fight you. And the elves aren't watching anymore." But he found himself unable to keep himself awake and very quickly fell asleep.

Derek covered him. He'd be lying if he said he wasn't curious too. He understood territory...knowing what he was, although having no memory awakened something feral inside him. He can feel it waking up like a bear after a long winter. He peaked out of the pod, ears flicking. Maybe he can be stealthy. Perhaps this thing would put up a good fight. Maybe fighting will calm him down Derek shook the thought away. He had enough dogs to know this wolf side of him will always rise to a challenge. He snuck down to the depths quickly. A quick look, photographic memory, he can draw it for James later. Besides, he was a forth degree black belt, almost fifth in two years. He will be a challenge for this creature.