pudding

Reincarnated Remake

"Nor have I. Fia, there's a split coming up... take the right side. The elves live just past the Wild. We have to pass through to get to it." Ash said as he galloped beside her. Derek also tilted his head. "What was that sound?" He asked. "James, how long are you going to pout? You're not a child anymore. I said I was sorry. Now please, accept that and keep a look out...... I don't like the looks of those trees." He scans the tall grass fields beside the path as they reached the fork that went around the trees on one side and through them on the other. They headed for the trees, Derek studying them as they got closer.

"Right, right," Fia replied with a hum as she quickly guided the cart to the right. Bouncing along, she kept the cart moving at a quick pace as she looked at Ash. "So we have to go North, right? The barn hand kept whispering about the Evil in the North so I'm guessing we'll be heading up that way soon."

In the back of the wagon, James continued to ignore Derek. Instead focusing on his claws, he frowned as he tensed his fingers, watching the claws slide out. When his hand relaxed, they disappeared back into barely visible tips. While he probably would have been more comfortable as a human, it was pretty interesting. It could at least give him something to do while he refused to speak to Derek. So he tended his hands up again and scraped his claws along the wooden back of the cart, watching as they easily dug into the wood, leaving scratches behind. Oh, that was curious.

"Let's just focus at the task at hand now. Slow down a little bit... it looks like the tree roots have grown over the path." Ash slowed down to a trot going into the trees.

Derek had fallen silent when he realized they haven't eaten breakfast.... and he wasn't even hungry. He turned back to his book. He read the rest, although, when he reached the W's he read about the werewolves.

Fia frowned slightly at that but slowed down considerably. Moving her head around much more, she peered around at the massive forest they were walking into. She could hear quite a few things off in the distance but none of them were close enough to be of any danger to them. But slowing down did mean it was safe enough for the second Hero to jump off the back if he really wanted to. Hopefully he wouldn't. "So what'd you say your name was, Hero?" She asked. Talking in the forest was a good way to frighten off anything that might try to attack them unless it was really big. Keeping up conversation was a good idea. "Farm animals like me don't know as much as normal folk. Also, I'm not really a Swan Maiden. That's why I don't look much like a swan."

As the cart slowed down, James pulled the strange rock the centaur had handed him. Rubbing his thumb over it's surface, he frowned then flipped it over. The back was flat compared to the front and contained a strange, oval indent in the middle. Huh. What was the point of this thing anyway? The centaur had just handed it to him like it was important but it was just a stupid rock.

"Derek. And the other is James." Derek said a little distracted by the book. "What do you mean by.. not really a swan maiden?"

"it was supposed to help you remember something. Derek... I think... has a dagger. " the centaur dropped back to the end of the cart to make sure the other doesn't jump off, and if he wouldn't speak to his friend.. He wasn't angry at him was he? The hero could talk to him. More then two voices help scarring away larger single beasts.

((I'll edit and post a description of werewolves from the book when I can. Busy tonight, lots of people over. They aren't the typical werewolf....))

"Well it's just a rock," James replied. The centaur he could talk to. Giving Derek the cold shoulder was even better if he talked to everyone else. "I mean, it's a pretty rock but it's still just a rock. At least a dagger would let me stab something." He frowned as he set the stone down behind himself and leaned forward, letting his feet hang out of the back of the wagon.

"Well, you're only going to find one of those in the Wilds," she replied. "I haven't had any pureblooded Swan maidens in my family tree for a long time. Humans systematically bred my kind with another bird species so we could be used as transportation. It's gone on for so long that my kind isn't even considered Swan Maidens by most. The slang term I've heard the most to describe us is Birdies but there's not really an offical name at this point."

((I'll Explain it as I go.. alright?))

"Not if the creature spits venom. That indent looked like you can put your finger there.." he commented.

"Hmm." He looked up at the bird. "Does that happen often? Like in nature? From the disruption here, o think I'm a werewolf, but my eyes aren't golden or green, nor do they have black around them like a wolf.... and no hair on my feet, just the rough spots. Also it said they have to change on the full moon. It was that last night and I didn't change at all. No need to hunt or anything. I don't think.. I'm fully a werewolf. Have you seen anything like James? I read the whole book and nothing I saw was like him..."

((Yeah, go ahead! Viziel's species will go the same way.))

"I wouldn't know," Fia replied. "I know the repurposing of my kind was a first since usually people keep to their own species. Obviously it's different dealing with different classes of animals but generally speaking, everyone likes their own place. Even when the relationships are good between kinds like Elves and humans, you won't find humans living among the elves and there certainly wouldn't be any relationships." She actually turned her head backwards to look at Derek at his last question then began to chuckle. This quickly turned into all out laughter as she flapped her wings slightly. "Of course you wouldn't find that in a book. That Hero-James-is from space. Since he looks like a human, people took to calling him a spaceman. It's rather unoriginal but then again the tales called you a wolf so that's how it went."

"Yeah, no," James replied, ignoring the stone. "It's a rock and on the off chance doing that would make it explode in my face, I'll just leave it be. I don't need to go on some kind of three-day long side-quest trying to figure out what one rock does. I'm just here to go home."

Edited by pudding

"Intresting...." his ear twitched, something far off moved though the foliage. He looked ahead. "Ash, which way?"

"Left. Go left now. From what I heard from the mages, you really aren't from here. You crashed here from another planet. That stone is nothing like we have here... and I know every stone, plant, and soil sample in the world. It isn't from here.. nor are those star consultations anything I recognize. If I may say my opinion.... to 're awake your memory... that stone might be the key. The elves would know. Mother met them once to get a herb that only grows there and three elf hairs from a maiden priestess' head used by the mages. She said they keep record of all battles they have to remember the lost. There might be something within those archives..."

Okay. So that meant whatever he was supposed to be now, he wasn't even native to this place. That meant there probably wouldn't be anyone who would be able to tell him what to expect about this current body. He'd figured out the claws already but the eyes and the tail were still beyond him. "Even more of a reason not to touch it," James replied with a frown. "I don't need any memories that don't belong to me. And if it's alien, it's even more likely to explode in my face if I do something wrong."

Slowing down to step over a large tree branch, Fia took the left-most path and continued down the curving road that became more and more overgrown the deeper they went into the forest. Finally, after some time, she stopped short and looked around in confusion. Kicking her feet slightly, she scratched at the grass under her claws then glanced back towards the wagon. "The road's gone!" She barked then looked forward again. Sure enough, the path had faded away into nothing, leaving behind only plants and foliage ahead of them.

"If you think of it this way, if the memories return... your soul can go back to its own place, for those memories aren't your own.... And we will have our hero. Yes Fia, the elves do this to keep out unwanted visitors. We're ahead of schedule. Let's stop for lunch and continue on. We're heading on the right path. See?" with a hoof he dug into the soil and scooped up some ashy black soil with flecks of leaves. " Ash and mulched leaves. Used to keep the trees greener and assist the detrovors with the decomposition process. It's how they keep the forest healthy. By nightfall we will cross into their land and out of the Wilds."

Derek kept looking around as if trying to locate what sounds came from where.

"That doesn't make any sense," James replied with a frown. He sighed loudly, deciding the best way to go through this was to just parrot what the mages had told him. He was still having trouble believing any of it but they were the ones who had done this to him in the first place so their explanation was at least somewhat logical. "The way everyone has explained it to me thus far is that I used to be this weird...alien thing. So when they tried to get their Hero back, they ended up with me instead. But I'm not him, even if we share the same soul. So the second I leave, all they have is some lifeless body. Bringing back some other person's memories won't do anything good. I've seen too many movies about people sharing a body and it never works out well. Either that, or somehow bringing back his memories means that I go away entirely." He frowned as he leaned slightly outside of the wagon, looking around at all of the trees. Squinting slightly, he began to tap the wagon with his ring finger in a small rhythm. "Either way, I'm not about trying to bring back some dead guy's memories. I'm just trying to get back home." The wagon began to move forward again, though at a much slower pace than before.

((Why is it moving, they stopped right?))

"Whatever you believe. But the more you push away, the more dangers would come to you. Try explaining to the Evil One how you look exactly like the hero that cast him out but don't have that hero's soul. You think he'll go easy on you because you have no memory of the past? If you remember, you'll remember how to fight. Something you're going to need very soon." He left him to think on that and trotted to the front to guide Fia through the trees in the correct direction.

Derek was looking through the box marked rashions and pulled out some bread and cheese setting some by James and eating a little bit. "Wow.... non possessed cheese is really good. So us this bread..."

((They stopped but when Ash said they were on the right path, Fia moved it forward again.))

James frowned and looked away. While the centaur brought up some good points, it was no less frustrating to think about. Frowning, he picked up the stone again and slid it into one of the pockets of his coat. When Derek moved some cheese nearby him, he scowled and shifted himself forward before jumping off the wagon altogether. With it moving at a slower pace, it was easy to walk up alongside it until he was standing next to the large, white bird pulling the cart forward. Keeping his eyes trained forward, he kept pace with the slow-moving bird quite easily.

Glancing down at the alien, Fia tipped her head to the side then ruffled her feathers slightly. "Want a ride?" She asked. When the man shook his head, she shrugged. "Suit yourself," she replied and kept moving forward, chirping a tune to keep the noise levels high.

"You should eat. You don't know if that body can handle being hungry. It would be no use if you pass out on us." he said, looking into the wagon seeing if the other hero was in it for it got really quite.

Derek had found the paper and ink the mage had slipped in and started drawing. He had several sketches on one page. One was of the bird, the other of a centaur, the largest was of the king, standing and looking regal.

"I'm not hungry," James replied with a frown, holding a hand over his stomach. "If anything, I feel sick from eating last night. I think I might have had too much to eat." He stuck out his tongue and frowned. He had felt a bit off since about thirty minutes after eating the previous day. It had also barely been any time at all and he was missing Earth food terribly. Was Tiadoria anywhere near close to inventing pizza? Maybe he could teach them a thing or two about cooking. "Maybe I'm not supposed to eat specific things," He added thoughtfully after a moment. "I mean, do centaurs eat people food or horse food? Can they eat both?"

Asheron gave him a look like he was completely crazy before snorting and hitting a hoof harder on the ground as he stepped over a root. "What's the difference? Yes if I don't behave I am given common horse oats and barley corn. But we manly eat vegetables. Anything that can grow in the soil. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a particular diet. I know your wolf friend has a diet primarily of meat... I'm surprised he enjoyed the cheese and bread. Never heard of a werewolf that liked anything not soaked in gravy made for their kill or meat. Nearly anything on their food chain... including centaurs. That's why those who are travel companions are fitted with iron shoes. Iron burns werewolves. "

Derek listened to this part of the conversation. He looked at the bird. "Really? It might just be the fact I'm not a full werewolf ... or that my mind and soul is still me and not Arkin."

Well that was interesting. James opened his mouth to comment back that perhaps he had a restricted diet as well, only for Derek to pipe up in the background. Not caring at all for what he actually said, James immediately closed his mouth again and turned his head away to stare out into the forest. He wasn't going to let Derek back in so easily. He would eventually cave in and apologize for real, not some kind of backhanded apology designed to make him feel bad. But it was fine. Even if that apology was made days from now, he could wait. He was patient and equally stubborn.

"There's a lot of lore around monsters," Fia replied, wiggling a claw for emphasis.The ends of her feet, sure enough, were fitted with a shiny metal that had been forged into vicious points."Even I was fitted with iron claw tips. It burns werewolves and lots of other species that inhabit the wilds as well. Plus, it makes it easier to fight in general." She paused when they suddenly came to a large clearing in the forest. A small creek ran through the middle. Puffing out her cheeks slightly, she turned to Ash and nudged him with her beak. "We should stop here! I haven't eaten all day! We could have lunch."

"I did say to stop when the road ended but you are as stubborn as a muletaur." he huffed and let her stop the wagon. "you were going to say something, he was speaking to Fia. Not me. The elves may know if you have a specific diet. " he lay down and sighed heavily. This was quite the distance. He wasn't used to this just yet.

Derek got out and used a little water to wash his face and cupped his hands after, wiping the ink stained tip on a piece of cloth, for a drink. "What kind of food do you eat Fia? Fish would be one. I smelled it on your breath last night. Would you like a bit of my bread?" He offered the rest of the small chunk he broke off to her. "Iron hurts werewolves? ..... where I'm from.. the lore is silver...." He looked at the dagger again. It was shiny, and when he flicked his finger against it, it sang beautifully too. He looked at the hilt where his name was stamped in with another name. "N-neiva?" He said it like neh-va. He shook his head. Knee-va? "Neiva".... He dropped the blade as emotions flashed through him again, along with a milky skinned woman that looked like the king with Amber eyes, with ears with a tail. He pressed his hand to his chest and whimpers and sniffling involuntarily. "I... need to meditate." He got up and found a soft spot, sitting down and pulling out the stones,once more calming himself down.

((What's the king look like? I have to know so I can say the differences between the two more clearly. You can pm me the description.))

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

((I got a picture of her: The King))

"It was hardly a good place to stop!" Fia protested with a whine. "We have space here and there's water. The other place was just a dirt path. At least here we could have a picnic or something nicer." She turned away with a huff, swinging her head towards Derek instead. Eyes alight with glee, she quickly snatched the bread from his hand and snapped it up, grinding it to pieces between her beak. "Oh, I'll eat anything," She replied with a smile, but it quickly faded as Derek began sniffling and sat down. Oh, that was weird. Noticing James nearby, she smiled and gestured to him. "Can you untack me for a bit? I want to get a drink."

James glanced over at the bird then walked over and began undoing the bindings keeping her attached to the wagon. As soon as she was free, Fia shook her body from side to side slightly then walked forward, moving quickly to the creek. Lowering her head, she began to drink from the small creek. If the other Hero had to meditate, she wasn't going to stop him. Besides, James didn't seem to concerned so it was fine.

"Ah, I forgot what I was going to say," James replied with a shrug before walking to the creek. Sitting a bit aways from both the bird and Derek, he slid his boots and socks off his feet and stretched his paws out in front of him before letting them sit in the edge of the creek. Sighing, he laid back down on the ground, letting his eyes close.

((That's armor on her right? It almost looks robotic...))

"I suppose you are correct..." He had lain on his side by the stream. He rested for a moment before sitting up and pulling out yellow colored vile and handed it to him. "Take a sip of this, a little sip. It helps with stomach discomfort."

Derek meditated for a while before going back to the cart and getting another sheet of parchment, writing a letter to the king, updating her on the trip. He had a feeling she will like to know. He said he has flashes of emotional responses to the knife but kept out the information about the woman who looked like her. He will add more when he gets some answers from the elves. He set it aside for now.

"There's some berries that are good over there Fia. " He dug up a small root by the stream and washed it before eating it uncooked.

((Yes. The King wears armor made from scales of a basilisk. It's simultaneously regal and terrifying.))

James glanced over at the centaur. Taking the yellow vial, he frowned slightly and uncorked the top. Sniffing it cautiously, he immediately hissed and held it away from himself, covering his nose with his free hand. The smell burned his nose with an intense, horrible pain that he had never experienced before. The vial fell out of his hands as he snorted loudly, shaking his head from side to side to try to get the pain out of his nose. Coughing now, he leaned forward and wiped his nose against his wrist. It hurt. Why did it hurt so much? Inching away from the spilled yellow liquid, he continued to try to breathe out roughly through his nose to get rid of the pain.

"You're suppose to drink it not smell it! I have some more, but here, this will kill the burning feeling. The burning is a honey made by fire bees and cinnamon. This paste is of mint, eucalyptus, aloe, and other cooling herbs mixed with oil and a thick healing mud. It works wonders for chest pain and burns. Smell this and the burn would fade. Keep smelling until it is completely away. Then hold your nose and take only a small sip. It wouldn't burn your throat. It would actually taste like cold honey water." He said as he got out a small ceramic jar and opened it under the hero's nose until he didn't need it any more. Then he handed him another vile of the yellow liquid. Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

James quickly shook his head from side to side, pushing himself further away from the centaur. Keeping his nose covered, he coughed and inched back further. He couldn't talk. His throat felt like it was closing up now. His body was supposed to be alien, right? Maybe it was having a bad response to whatever was in the vial. It didn't feel normal and the fact the pain wasn't going away felt wrong.

Suddenly finding himself on his hands and knees, James coughed loudly then abruptly threw up onto the grass. While he couldn't say he had thrown up enough times to find a color considered normal for it, the blue color was clearly wrong on so many levels. Stumbling backwards, he coughed a few more times into his hands, trying to get himself away from the strange things he had just thrown up all over the ground. Continuing to heave, he gestured to his throat, trying to show that he could barely breathe, let alone talk.

Derek knew from his own experience, this was something akin to a allergic reaction. Rushing to the centaur he asked for anything jumping the epinephrine, or adrenaline in a body. The flustered beast handed him a clear vile and Derek ran over pulling out his dagger. Pouring some on the tip, he quickly jammed only the needle sharp point into his upper thigh on the outside. He pulled it out and massaged the spot to work in the drug. He watched his friend to see if it will work, the signs where there though. He hoped he read them right.