pudding

Ancient Monsters

The sound of rattling chains was covered quite a bit by the sounds of waves hitting the side of the boat and the men hurrying about the ship. Selecting one at random, he followed the man briefly before moving on to another and another. With no knowledge of boats, it was a bit difficult to tell who was important and who wasn't. Silently, he stopped in the middle of the ship, looking around at the crew as they moved about, working quickly. At once, they suddenly stopped and turned to look at the end of the ship where a single room was hidden slightly under a rise in the deck. A chair flew out of the door, shattering it open before coming to rest on the ground rather close to him. The crew only paused briefly before hurrying back to their duties, leaving the chair for a young boy to pick up and start to drag out of the way. Perfect.

Ignoring the source of the thrown chair for now, Sethos strode forward, following the young boy as he moved out of the way, carrying the chair with him. The boy looked up suddenly, obviously hearing the chains as Sethos drew close to him, but it was too late by then as one cold hand wrapped around his mouth and another grabbed his jacket. Keeping a strong grip on the boy, Sethos quickly dragged the young boy back below the deck, leaving the chair off on the side where the boy had dropped it when he was suddenly grabbed. It would probably take only a few minutes for someone to realize he was missing considering the ship was a fixed area but that would be plenty of time for him. As soon as they were back under in the darkness of the cargo hold, Sethos's invisibility faded away and his hands began to glow white with heat. He was starving.

Crashes and yelling was only the tip of the iceberg. The anger was always followed by worse anger, and then tears. But before she got to the end goal, a muffled struggling caught her attention. If she hadn't seen red beforehand, she was now. Someone was being attacked. Of course, as she yelled this through the ship, nobody paid her any mind. Flashbacks were a common occurrance and were therefore ignored. Except this time...she was right! Namina charged through the cargo room, shoving crates and screaming incoherently. The time spend charging about was enough to exhaust the woman. With a final, furious scream, Namina slumped against a box and buried her head in her hands. For obvious reasons, nobody was sure why she was cleared to own a ship of all things, let alone command a crew.

((ANGRY SCREAMING FTW))

The incoherent screams caught his attention almost immediately and the quiet crunches in the dark faltered. Although he usually moved softly and his actions were very nobel, his eating was an entirely different matter. It had only taken a few seconds for only bones to remain and Sethos's mouth to be covered in blood. It was barbaric, really, but he was hungry. He couldn't help it. Pushing the bones off to one side, he wiped his mouth off with one of his large, dark sleeves as the door was thrown open and a furious woman ran into the cargo room. Keeping silent in his corner, he watched from a crouched position as the woman threw crates around, still screaming her mouth off. If his nose didn't tell him otherwise, he would have assumed he was staring at a banshee of some kind from the way she was behaving. But it was sort lived as the woman eventually slumped down, apparently done with her fit. Well then. The boy he had dragged down before had been enough for him and he wasn't one to recklessly indulge in food so it wasn't like he had a reason to kill her right off the bat. He always could if she proved too irritable.

Rising up, he pushed the bones into a pile in the corner with his foot before slowly making his way to the slumped over woman. His golden eyes stared down at her coldly, trying to figure out why she had rushed in screaming before. She hadn't seemed to be looking for the boy he had taken. "Are you finished?" He asked, deciding there was no harm in speaking up. He had already revealed himself and it wasn't like she could do anything. She was just a human, that was all.

Back turned to the bwast before her, Namina shivered as tears streaked down her face. Blood. Fire. Screaming. Each flash of the horrific event made her flinch as if she had been hit. It was a cruel act, killing her family and leaving her to die. Three had been enough. She, as the forth the beast had encountered, had been left to rot. Instead, she dragged herself out of the burning house and collasped outside.

When Namina finally snapped out of her trance, she stared into darkness as she silently sobbed. What...what do you want?! The captain finally managed to hiccup a response. Just...just leave me be! I'm sure you have something...something better to do! It was lucky that she didn't care enough to turn around. A woman with PSTD due to a monster meeting a monster during one fo her fits wasn't a good idea.

((I feel like I should change her sheet to a werewolf. Because it fits with the backstory so well.))

Ah, she was crying. That was somewhat of a normal response considering the species. It was very common for humans to sob in his presence, though usually not in his altered appearance. Usually, he only got tears when he went around in his actual form. Unless... did he have blood left on his mouth? He had tried to wipe it all away earlier but it would make sense if she was crying because of that. But when he wiped his mouth again, his hand came away clean.

"It is a very small boat," Sethos replied as he looked down the woman. She wasn't even looking at him. In any other situation, he might have just burned her and be done with it. But he had no idea what her role on the boat was and he didn't want to take out someone important when he was already full. But if he could always resume eating. Moving away, he sat down back in the corner and picked up a heat-bleached bone and began to gnaw on it loudly.

((Hey, guys! Wow, you two wrote a lot while I was away... I promise to get a form up... But later. I can't load pictures and I'm too lazy to write a description for the looks part...

Btw, I know Yaoi is the word for more graphic things, but I use it instead of shounen-ai, too, cause I'm too lazy to type out the longer word... Also, if we're doing Japan, like, Tokugawa Era, there were a lot of lords that had male lovers in that time... Homosexuality was big, if I remember correctly...

I'll be making two monsters and a human))

((It's official, Namina's a werewolf now. Just because it fits too well.))

That's my boat you're talking about, you know. When Namina finally growled a response, she sat up to stare at the stranger. She was half-tempted to unsheathe her sword, but decided against it. You're not any of my crew. Her green eyes narrowed in the darkness. Scowling as loud crunches echoed in the cargo bay, the woman stood. I expect replacements of my crew, since you so kindly took them as your personal meal. If you want to stay here and eat my crew, you better start pulling your own weight. And lke that, she was back to her usual, sour mood. She had a ship to run, and having episodes didn't help any.

The levels of sass that rose up from the once-sniveling human were actually quite surprising to Sethos. So much so that he actually lowered the bone he had been gnawing on to look back up at the woman standing nearby. The boat had to be doing something to him mentally as it was so unusual that he hadn't grown irritated already and just killed her. But he didn't. Especially since her speech implied she was in charge of the vessel. But still, he would not be bossed around by some inferior species.

His hands glowed white in the darkness, illuminating the cargo hold briefly before the bone in his hands turned completely to ash. The light faded at that point as Sethos stood up and slowly walked over to the woman, his gold eyes staring down at her. "I killed him because he was not doing anything and ate him because I was hungry. It was only one runt so I expect your ship can still arrive at its destination just fine without him."

((Sass mode: activated))

The arch of an eyebrow was followed by a snort. This guy had never been on a ship, had he? This is your first time on the sea. It was no question, as she was positive it was. People die left and right from sickness and malnourishment. I need every able-bodied person I can get. You took one from me. Even as Sethos approached her, she remained perfectly still. She didn't fear other monsters. Especially not self-righteous ones. As if bored, the woman turned on her heel and began to walk out. If you feel like owning up to what you did, ask for the captain of this ship. If not, well, I can surely throw you overboard and see if you swim. The last thing she wanted was a fight, but she could hold her own quite well against other monsters. That's what she was, after all. A monster. The thought disgusted her, but she had long grown used to it. The unwanted perks her condition had given her was at the cost of her sanity, her children, and her husband. It was hardly compensation.

"I see no reason to justify my actions," Sethos replied softly. Part of his way of commanding attention was by speaking very low so that people had to struggle to hear what he said. He found that usually made people focus on him more since they wanted to know what he was saying. Moreover, it gave him a calm air that made it seem like he was always in control. Which he was. "If this ship is threatened, I'll act to save it. But I see no reason to give my aid in any situation otherwise. But if you attempt to harass me, do not think I will not retaliate." With that, he sat down where he had been standing and crossed his legs, deciding that meditating might help pass the time.

User: SoiledLove

Name: Mikio

Species: Kitsune

Looks: Usually appears the same as his twin Saren, being the more passive one.

Personality: Prankster, but not a leader. Mikio usually let's his brother decide everything and he doesn't have any problems with it since they are so alike.

History: Gah, same as Saren

Powers/weapons: Because I'm lazy... Kitsune Physiology. And anything extra that Saren has.

Other: Sure, why not

User: SL

Name: Tsukiko

Species: Nekomata

Looks: In human form, she's an ethereal looking woman with long, straight silver hair and golden eyes. Height: 5'3. As a cat, she's a silver tabby with gold eyes and a forked tail. Height: 4'3 or smaller (paw to shoulder). She can manifest feline attributes whenever

Personality: RP'd

History: Used to be a normal housecat, but her owner treated her poorly so she became a Bakeneko, eating her owner. The mansion she inhabited became the homes of several other people afterwards, but she always ate them. So, now, she lives alone in the old, worn down mansion, eating travelers and those that believe they are powerful enough to exorcize her. Unfortunately for them, she's very old... And very powerful.

Powers/weapons: Bakeneko Physiology, Fire Manipulation, Illusion

Other:

((Cool! I'm probably going to end up making an extra human since we've got a lot of monsters but few people. I'm still working on it, though.))

((Suddenly realized I can't join in with just them right now...

Name: Mikado Sumizome

Species: Human

Looks: A tall man with white streaked black hair who wears his yukatas rather casually. He usually has a rather large sword wrapped in bandages with him. He also wears a lot of beads.

Personality: A cocky, flirtatious monk/priest. Otherwise RP'd

History: Just coming back to Japan from learning exorcism techniques overseas. Powerful exorcist. Otherwise RP'd.

Powers/weapons: Giant sword, beads, sealing papers, chants

Other: Will get a pic soon...))

((He looks like he's going to be fun.

So is Mikado going to be on the ship with them? Because we could start up another interaction in Japan with the other characters or focus on the boat for now if he's going to be there too.

Also, you don't need to wait for a picture and can just start whenever.))

((I based him on a pic I found online though... He's on the ship, so I'll start RP'ing here...

Oh, and he can do a whole bunch of stuff with the papers (I have no idea what they're called in English. I only know the Chinese name), from summoning monsters to purifying to creating barriers. Same with the chants (which require the beads). However, he focuses on using his sword in battle as he isn't very fast with the rest and more of an offensive instead of support))

Mikado was sleeping on the deck. His eyes were closed and he had a content smile on his face. He wasn't pulling his weight on the ship at all, but, hey, he had paid good money. Why should he work? However, he wasn't completely relaxing, being aware of his surroundings was part of his training, after all. He didn't want to be caught off guard, after all. He knew something was happening, something odd, but he was drowsy and all the sounds and feelings just mixed together. He grunted and rolled over, scanning the deck. Nothing too unusual except... The ship seemed to be missing someone. Two someones. He stood up, stretching and yawning. Someone shot him a dirty look but he shrugged it off. He walked around, tacking bits of seemingly useless paper onto different parts of the deck. Then, he activated them with a word and set a weak purifying barrier around the boat. The more demonic a monster was, the more pain they'd be in. It was too bad it didn't work on some Western monsters such as werewolves and vampires since they weren't demonic in nature. He had ran out of paper to make anymore and these where his last ones so he could only use these. They weren't very strong, but they were layered. One paper, one layer. So the effects stacked on top of each other. He just hoped no one ripped them off. Then, he fell back, using his sword as a pillow, and began to nap again.

With a roll of her eyes, Namina walked back outside. A fresh, cool breeze hit her in the face as soon as she was topside. A few steps and she was back to business. Stay on guard. We've got a beast that already snatched one of the swabbies. Travel in pairs around the shi-censorkip.gif! As she was busy commanding her crew, she hadn't noticed that their only wanted guest lounged in the middle of the deck. With a loud curse, the captain tripped and fell over Mikado. There was an obvious reason why she was pissed. He had a perfectly good rom to lounge in! Why the middle of the deck! Now draped across the monk, she scowled. Do ya care to tell me why you're in the middle of my workplace? Sleeping?

You're no fun. I liked it better when you were a cat. A sour voice emerged from one of the two statues guarding the crumbling mansion's shrine to Inari. As the statue spoke more, the stone melted away to reveal a three-tailed fox. A rather displeased one, too. The fox paused to scratch an ear with one of its hind legs, and huffed. Nobody ever comes around here any more. How am I supposed to have any fun if you go and eat anybody who stays here? Keep in mind I was here first. You scared off my brother, but I'm not leaving so easy. It was something when a vengeful spirit could scare off a servant of Inari. Saren (which was what he currently went by. It wasn't smart to give out one's real name) was much more stubborn than his brother. He wasn't leaving the manor to some stupid cat! Even then, Mikio was just in his stone form. His brother had no heart to tell a Nekomata to beat it.

Edited by shadow_claw

When it came to monsters, Sethos was strong. His arrogance and coldness when dealing with other creatures was a byproduct of his strength as it was difficult to find creatures that matched up to his strength. That was part of the reason why he had decided to go on the boat. He had decided that if there was going to be a strong monster, it would be in a place that he hadn't ravaged already. With nothing else to really do except wander, all he could do was pit his strength against other monsters to try to prove he was the best. But this was almost always against demons. It was a different matter for him to have to deal with humans, as he was used to simply eating them with no trouble. Even priests he had dealt with to some degree, when they were foolish enough to come after him. With his invisibility and heat, it was usually a very swift battle and he hardly needed to do anything. So when he was suddenly forced to his knees, he was surprised, to say the least.

A great weight and pain weighed down on him as the Barghest planted both of his hands on the wooden floor, his eyes wide in surprise. He wasn't used to being hurt and there wasn't anything around him that seemed to be dealing the damage. In response to the pain, the claws on his hands began to grow slightly, digging into the wood floor as his teeth also grew. His irises seemed to bleed into the whites of his eyes while his pupils turned dark red. The thing about his altered form was that it was simply a disguise. The purification interference was enough to force him into the in-between state that usually appeared when he grew angry or was on the brink of transforming. It was a much more sinister appearance. The woman had already left at this point so it couldn't be her. Luckily, whatever causing him pain was weak enough that it did not stop him from moving. Traveling quickly on all fours, he darted forward and climbed up the stairs leading out of the cargo bay. He wasn't going to just sit back and wait. He was going to find whomever was trying to hurt him and end them. Nobody got off lightly with him.

He managed to climb to his feet as he forced the door open, small tendrils of smoke climbing out of his mouth. Who was arrogant enough to try attacking him? Well, he'd find them. He looked around then stepped away from the door and began looking around.

Edited by pudding

Mikado barely shifted when Namina fell onto him. He merely opened an eye as if he hadn't felt anything and shrugged. "Well..." He drawled, "it's comfortable. There's a cool breeze, a blue sky, sunlight and people rushing around so I don't feel lonely..." He listed the items absently and sighed, opening his eyes again and grinning down at Namina. "And, of course, a beautiful lady draped across my lap."

((Wait, I thought Tsukiko was gonna be older than Saren... Ah, whatever...))

Tsukiko raised an eyebrow at the fox as she stood, sipping some tea she had made from the overgrown plants and water from a nearby creak. She was glad she hadn't broken anything the previous owners had, otherwise she wouldn't have her beloved teacup. "Tell that to my owner. It's his fault. Since I have to eat and stay here to survive, it's obviously no fault of mine. Oh wait, he's dead. Lucky censorkip.gif***. He didn't deserve something as peaceful as death for hurting her. Stupid human had never remembered to cut off her tail before doing it, too. His fault he died, being digested in her stomach. Elegantly, she sipped from her cup again, her beautiful red kimono pooling around her as she sat down. "Remember, fox, that it can eat you at anytime. So don't annoy me too much." She then added as an afterthought. The fox might be older, but he only had three tails and he didn't fight or eat humans to gain power as much as she did. It was always so fun, killing monks and priests and exorcists. What was a three tailed kitsune to her might? Then again, she hadn't really seen the other fight, only prank, so she wasn't sure if she could beat him in a fair fight. But the fight would never be fair, not with the fact that she could, literally, eat anything.

Spying the woman who had spoken to him laying on top of a man nearby, Sethos started to move towards her when something caught his eye. He paused and turned, smoking slightly at the mouth, and stared at a piece of paper that had been tacked nearby him. Unusual. Not used to dealing with monks and their vile papers, he dismissed the paper and instead walked over to where the woman was draped over a man he had never seen before. Well, he smelled human enough so he couldn't care to give him the time of day. "What did you do?" He asked, a slight growl creeping into his voice. While he had originally dismissed her as innocent, she had been the only one to go down and see him. The pain must be her fault. It was starting to get much more irritating to him and it took a lot not to just flat-out attack. "I was trying to restrain myself and you go using some kind of magic to hurt me. Do you have a death wish?"

Half-tempted to strike her guest, Namina stood quickly and brushed herself off. Thank God she no longer wore dresses. It would be embarrassing to fall over a man wearing a dress. I have no interest in you or anyone else, mind you. I have a ship to run, not a brothel. Just because the monk was a guest didn't mean he wouldn't get the sharp side of her tongue. A voice behind her made the captain scowl. She turn slowly, her left hand resting on the pommel of her sword. What makes you think I did anything? she snarled in response. She didn't have time to deal with a specter or monster or whatever this stowaway was. I walked upstairs and fell over this dolt! Don't go throwing blame on me just because I found you!

With a heavy sigh, the fox leaped from his perch and paced the cool tiled floor. Plants had snaked underneath the tiles and, well, everything and devoured most of the mansion for itself. He slowed to a stop at Tsukiko's feet, the fox's form instantly changed. A thin young man in white robes of his own stood before the other spirit. Eat one of the servants of Inari? I would love to see you try. He grinned toothily at the third resident of the mansion, and paced about the room again. Let alone two. Stopping as an idea came to him, Saren grinned. What if I got people to stay here again? It could be a game of wits. You can try to kill them, and I will keep you from it until I've had my fill of harassing them. It will be fun. The fox had no actual need to devour humans like Tsukiko. He could gather enough energy by running through crowded streets or sitting in a tavern. His power came with age, not by devouring souls. Although, some kitsune did this. He didn't want to waste his time

((I'm making a form for Mikado's sword. There has to be a reason why he's such a powerful exorcist at such a young age, after all, right?

Name: Kokushibyo (Black Death) or just Kuro

Species: Demon Sword (Sort of)

Looks: A large, long, double edged sword that's completely black from tip to hilt except for a pulsing red line down the middle of the blade. Usually wrapped in special bandages that prevent anyone from feeling/smelling/noticing its demonic energy.

Personality: Usually silent and content to let its master do whatever, however, when given the chance to speak, it's snarky and rude.

History: A sentient sword made with demonic energy, it was made from the bones of a very, very powerful demon. It chose its master to be Mikado and works with him. However, he secretly wishes to take over Mikado's body and gain freedom. Otherwise RP'd.

Powers/weapons: None of its powers work when he doesn't have a master except for Nigh Indestructibility and Sentience. Can give its master Enhanced Physical Abilities, Enhanced Senses, Enhanced Reflexes, Enhanced Healing, Sixth Sense, and some demonic attributes such as manifesting fangs and horns when emotional, and bat wings when he loses it. It can also guide it's master in battle. A touch from its blade will be painful for any supernatural creature (so only normal animals and humans are exempt from this) and wounds from it are very hard to heal. It can even control it's master when he falls unconscious. The more Kuro is in control of his master's body. Also, as long as his master is in control of his own body and not demonic, then Kuro is also exempt from harm by things that are meant to effect demonic creatures. It can also use Hellfire to an extent, but only when in control of its master's body.

Other: ))

Mikado just flashed her another grin before closing his eyes and ignoring the argument between the demonic being and the woman. He had self-preservation, after all, demon sword or not. It was definitely better to keep from starting a fight. He was off duty, after all. So... "Who're you talking to, captain?" He asked lazily, pretending to not be able to see or feel the beast beside him. Kuro's presence hummed in the back of his mind as if amused. But he was also annoyed. Apparently, he didn't appreciate being used as a pillow.

Tsukiko shrugged. "I've eaten Kitsune before," she said casually, "I'm sure Inari doesn't mind one or two of his servants going missing." She sipped her tea again and raised an eyebrow at the fox. "Really huh? Interesting. But how're you gonna accomplish that? The 'getting people to stay here' part, I mean," Tsukiko asked, "Everyone avoids me and my poor, lonely house. It's a wreck, anyways. No one would stay in such a place."

"I do not have the patience to deal with you right now," Sethos snarled back, very quickly losing control. He was irritated beyond belief and it was getting harder and harder to restrain himself. No... He had to be calm. He was not some reckless beast. He was intelligent and powerful and above such silly things. Taking a step backwards, he closed his eyes briefly and took a few deep breaths. Gradually, his claws faded back to normal and his teeth became less fang-like. When he opened his eyes again, they had returned to normal. He fixes his gaze on the woman again, frowning ever so slightly. "Your games are irritating at best. Remove whatever spell you have set up or I'll start to demand sacrifices. You are the only one who knew about my presence and the pain started not long after you left. It was obviously you."

((I want for both Sethos to be super strong but also have his ass totally handed to him at some point.))

Damanding sacrifices? Demanding sacrifices?! That was enough to throw Namina over the edge. Her eyes flickered yellow as her fury rose. Why you stupid, arrogant beast! You think I'd waste my time and energy just to piss you off?! Ha! You're not worth my time! So I say you still your arrogant tongue before I personally throw you overboard! the woman sucked in a deep breath. Her condition, unlike most werwolves, could happen at any given time. It was a rare occurence, but not unheard of. Getting upset would just make things worse. You are easily not the only magic-wielder around here, you insufferable prick. Keep your ego aside, or I'll happily watch you drown.

((Why not both? I can't help but find it hilarious at him begging for mercy in the sea when he pushed Namina too far.))

You seem to forget that I can use magic. Saren chuckled to himself as he shrank back into his fox form. Restoring the mansion back to new wouldn't be too hard. After all, he was a kitsune. The idea of a game was enough for him to use stores of energy. The fox sat down, all three of his tails swishing as he gathered energy. In a blinding flash, the depilated mansion was restored to its once-pristine conditions. Hardly anything had been destroyed, so there was no real 'creating' involved. With a grin, Saren turned back to face the spirit. It's simple. Japan is open for trade, which means traders will arrive needing lodging. A cheap price to rent an opulent manor is sure to draw in humans.

Edited by shadow_claw

((I think it would be cooler if one of them magical bound him after an epic fight (plus, that would give him a way to now run off once they get off the ship). Namina would have difficulty actually throwing him overboard.))

By now, the crew had started to gather slightly about them, trying to see what was going on. Sethos ignored them initially, focusing instead on the angry girl. His small nose wrinkled up slightly as he raised a long hand to his nose. "You're starting to reek," he replied harshly. "But either way, you cannot do anything to stop me." To prove his point, he promptly vanished from sight. The sound of rattling chains filled the air only briefly before a harsh scream from the rear of the crowd filled the air. The people quickly moved aside to reveal Sethos had reappeared and had a strong hold on one of the older members of the crew. The demonic creature's hands began to glow white and the yells increased as a smoldering handprint was burned into his shoulder, at which point Sethos released him so he could stumble away. "Your ignorance will cost your crew. Continue to test me and it will cost your life. I don't play games with arrogant weaklings."

((It'd still be really funny.))

Namina bit back a yell and staggered away from her resting guest. She couldn't suppress her anger any longer. Years of practiced alcoholism usually left her fits of rage be uninterrupted by any unwanted changes. But this was a different case. As blinding pain shot through her body, her staggering led to falling over Mikado (again). Except this time, she wasn't angry. She was in pain. Those who assumed all creatures had a flawless transformation were very, very wrong. Many unfortunate souls (such as Namina) were forced into painful transformations. By the time she had finally finished, a bipedial wolf lay there, panting heavily. Changing was a lot harder than it seemed.

((Meh. Short, kinda choppy post.))