Yzarro

Solar Roadways

So, apparently there's a prototype for a way to make a road out of solar panels, without them breaking. It's estimated that the energy produced from these roads would be about three times as much as the U.S. currently uses. Plus, it could use LED lights to make images on the road, and it could also heat the surface of the road just above freezing to keep it from freezing over.

Yes, I've been following this for such a long time!

I'm so glad they reached their funding goal. They've reached $1,530,740 out of their $1,000,000 goal and they still have 3 days left of their fundraiser. It's great.

I'm really glad they got funded! I hope this'll actually get to happen sometime soon ;u;

Oh, I'm really loving them! The only problems I can imagine is keeping them clean (periodic cleaning, won't have to do it as often as repairing current roads, not as often even for busy roads?) and storage. Light pollution is a concern, but if they're intelligent panels they should be able to dim down at night and on roads less traveled.

>w< I just yes.

Edit: Many FAQs are listed and answered here

Edited by rampaging wyvern

Heard about this recently via FB and I think it is an amazing opportunity for the entire country! Can't wait to see how things progress with it. smile.gif

They got funded?! Yes! Last time I check it wasn't looking good for them. Glad things turned around for them. This will be amazing.

I heard about this a few weeks ago. I absolutely love the idea and so does most of my family! I really want to see what happens next now that it's been funded!

Light pollution is what concerns me. Lit up roadways all night every night would change as in POSSIBLY harm animals and plants. Many things need darkness to function properly. What would it do to the sea turtle environment? Are these things being looked into?

It reminds me of the stories as I read growing up by Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein among other science fiction novelists.

Look at our road system now. SC can't stay on top of the demands we put on our DoT now. If we find the assests to convert will we find the needed assests and drive to keep them functioning? I am no scientist, would the solar powered roads be helpful before a town, city or state had fully converted to solar powered roads?

Just some thought. It looks amazing.

I really want this to go forward and be implemented on our roads. We're still using fossil fuels at this age - I mean, how dumb is that?

They're going to run out very soon, and if we don't start using solar/wind/water power soon, then we're all going to be stuck in a very big knot.

I really hope this makes it way to the US. This needs to be done as we cannot live on coal for forever as much as oil companies want us to believe.

Yay! <3 We need to stop using fossil fuels. There are only 1 trillion barrels of oil left, for gosh sake!

Woohoo for solar energy biggrin.gif

Saw a thing on Facebook about this like a month ago.

Looks really interesting!! I can't wait to see these in action. Still kinda find it funny that one day we're just gonna see "glowing roads" at night and be all "wait, what? Ooohhhhh!!!"

I really want this to go forward and be implemented on our roads. We're still using fossil fuels at this age - I mean, how dumb is that?

They're going to run out very soon, and if we don't start using solar/wind/water power soon, then we're all going to be stuck in a very big knot.

wind/water power are generally pretty horrendous for the environment though, at least in the way it is generally done.

SOLAR! freakin'!! Roadways!!!!!

Love this video and the whole idea. So much that I don't let a day go by where I'm not spontaneously saying "Solar! Freakin'!! Roadways!!!!" smile.gif

Three times the power than we'd consume, hundreds of thousands of jobs, clean break from petrofuels and recycled glass making them up – what's not to love? The only people that wouldn't like it are the Koch Brothers and their lackeys.

I think solar roadways are a really cool idea but based on our current rnd a lot of people are doubting whether it'll actually work in the us now that the government has granted it funding... I hope that it'll work out somehow

I don't mind stuff like the stripes and other markings that are currently paint/signs glowing. They really don't have to be that bright to be seen, tbf. So long as they don't become brighter than current street lights really do, I won't have a problem with it. c: I really like the idea.

You guys have no idea how excited I was to see this. I actually had to donate and I'm usually pretty stingy trying to get through college and such. So happy they're funded and so happy they extended the funding deadline so more people could participate. This is awesome in so many ways. I'm really excited also about how they thought about inclusivity and things like easily adding more disabled parking spots when needed. <3