vivo

Flitz's art thread.

Why hello there.

This topic is now my drawing dump, where I keep track of my process, (hopefully) improvement, and records.

Warning. I suck. I suck badly.(FOR NOW. Thou shall not change my mind! Tis' not a self-esteem issue, 'tis the momentary truth.) But I want to be an illustrator, thus, instead of crying over it I might as well bust my behind and get started.

May this board serve me as a motivator.

I don't post my stuff online, I'll get me a proper account on a proper art site when I consider myself at least decent.

Category: Speed Paint

user posted image

"Grey Dragon" 1 hour, 10 minutes 11/27/2013 Tool: Paint Tool Sai

Traditional Art

user posted image

Didn't keep track of date and time. Mid October 2013, Water Colours and Mechanical Pencil, ****ty Phone Camera.

*NSFW* Contains nacked butts and boobies :v

http://i42.tinypic.com/ws5urn.jpg Figures. One hour. 27/11/2013 Tool: Mechanical Pencil If anyone has an issue with this PM me and I'll make sure to remove the link! ^^

No drawing for dragons yet! Far too busy!

Edited by flitzthesoulreaper

You suck? Badly?

No, no, that is wrong. These are amazing ;w;

Thanks, but I really have a massive way to go. :/ From anatomy to shading I have still so much to learn.

Thanks, but I really have a massive way to go. :/ From anatomy to shading I have still so much to learn.

Look, pessimism isn't going to help at all. In my - and other's - eyes, your artwork is beautiful. And if you're really unhappy with things, just pick one field to focus on, say, anatomy, for about a year or until you're more confident with your skills in that area, then move onto shading and so on. You'll carry on learning throughout your life so don't expect to be producing perfect artworks in weeks. In fact, don't ever expect to produce any perfect artworks (at least not perfect to your eyes). Or at least carry on doing what you're doing and accept the fact that what you do is already great in its own right and let yourself improve naturally over time.

For the record, that owl is amazing. It makes me think of the illustrations in those old books from way back when ;u;

Wow, nice art skills. I know the feeling of thinking whatever you draw is crap, but let me tell you that you have great talent. Especially if this is your 'dump'. Did you use any references for the owl piece? Thats amazing work right there. And the human pose sketches are also good. *hates sketching poses but needs the most work in that area* hehehe...

I don't think I'm pessimistic. Knowing I'm miles away from what I eventually want to be doesn't stop me from practicing my ass off. But thank you for the advice irrespective! I'm currently working on my anatomy among other things.

Also, yes I used a reference for the owl as well as the figures.

Lythe, if you want a site to practice your poses I'd be more than glad to give you links!

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, but don't forget, I WANT to get in the illustration field. If it were a hobby I guess my stuff would have been acceptable, but if i actually want to get paid for my work eventually this isn't going to cut it.

Wow, everyone focusing on that line tongue.gif I do! But for now! I shall acquire skill! But thanks. The picture doesn't do it justice though. I wonder whether I should dump my pokemon sketches here too or just keep my original work here.

Oooh, links for poses would be very much appreticiated.

Dump ALL sketches here. I love seeing art, and yours is so interesting and cool~ biggrin.gif And who doesn't like Pokemon??? tongue.gif

Pokemon stuff :V I don't really like drawing fanart but meh. Tis' good practice.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/339...ton-d6wttht.png

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/338...ton-d6wq1bw.png

Not linking to the DA account. I don't like associating with it when I'm purely using it for practice purposes. Once I open a proper account for my stuff I might.

Lythe: http://reference.sketchdaily.net/ It's a really neat tool!

@flitzthesoulreaper: never let me catch you saying that you suck again or I'll show up under your bed. If you undermine yourself your art reflects that. Instead, just don't accept what you draw you absolute best. You can only get better right?

wat

omg

flitz

can i marry u

But srsly them Pokemon are amaze

C-can I request a Zoroark and also a purdy thing with the Erseliks? O:

also it's quite easy to find your dA considering the name is always in the image's url :B

wat

omg

flitz

can i marry u

But srsly them Pokemon are amaze

C-can I request a Zoroark and also a purdy thing with the Erseliks? O:

also it's quite easy to find your dA considering the name is always in the image's url :B

Not really taking requests anymore but sure! I was planning on making some extra for friends and myself anyway!

And bwu you guys are so darn nice.

Look, pessimism isn't going to help at all. In my - and other's - eyes, your artwork is beautiful. And if you're really unhappy with things, just pick one field to focus on, say, anatomy, for about a year or until you're more confident with your skills in that area, then move onto shading and so on. You'll carry on learning throughout your life so don't expect to be producing perfect artworks in weeks. In fact, don't ever expect to produce any perfect artworks (at least not perfect to your eyes). Or at least carry on doing what you're doing and accept the fact that what you do is already great in its own right and let yourself improve naturally over time.

For the record, that owl is amazing. It makes me think of the illustrations in those old books from way back when ;u;

This ^

Flitz you are awesome shhh

//pets.

If the things in the first post represent your average work, then I have news for you: you ARE already good enough to get paid for your work. I've seen people with MUCH less skill get paid for work with a LOT more flaws than yours. You won't get paid thousands per piece yet, but you have to start somewhere. The problem is probably finding the right people who are willing to pay... And sadly that's something I can't help with.

But, of course, it's always nice if you're happy with your own work as well, so if you don't feel ready yet, then by all means keep practicing before you look for someone to do work for wink.gif I take it you welcome feedback? If not, just ignore everything below xd.png

You mentioned in an earlier post that you need to work on anatomy and shading. Anatomy I can't say much about, your practice looks great but the question is, can you produce the same quality without a reference in the same pose. Always a good thing to practice anatomy though smile.gif

I do have a few things to say about the shading, from what I can see in the first two works. On the owl there's minimal shading; it fits the style, but if I had to point to a light source, I couldn't. There aren't enough visual clues. It's actually the only thing that's really missing from the piece to make it, in my eyes, perfect.

On the first piece, the shading is a lot better, but indeed, it could be better. It almost feels as if you're afraid of giving it too much shadow. This results in the creature being flat in some places, a piece which could have been visually stunning, is average instead. Of course it's a speed paint, but I encourage you to work on it more and finish it. Push yourself to make it the very best it can be.

That's all the feedback I can give based on the two pieces. You have a very good grasp of form, as far as I can see your knowledge of colour is good, you know at the very least the basics of anatomy without needing to have a reference all the time. You have room to improve, but it is by no means bad smile.gif

Rhynn you have no idea how much I appreciate critique and comments like yours. Thank you for pointing out errors.

A bunch of sketches. Fan art again, unfortunately, but they were good warm-ups. http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/348...ton-d6xy3f7.jpg I was thinking of taking commissions for a page filled with something along these lines but I don't think I'm going to have any interest.

And here, have some pixels. Christmas suggestion 2013:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Merry Christmas guys.

AHHHH They're so fluffy! And those hatchlings with their big eyes ... I just want to cuddle them. wub.gif

I'm happy that you made a dragon request for them as a non-holiday dragon, they would make a beautiful addition to the cave. smile.gif

Edited by Nyastara

I'm so happy you like them! Yeah, I thought it would have been a waste otherwise. And they can support themselves as a concept beyond christmas.

user posted image

Some dragcave concept art. If anyone's interested I'll post the entire set. If anyone wants to pick these babies up feel free to. I already have my hands full on the Frosts, the Tarns and my portfolio.

Do whatever you want with them.

You, my dear, are an idiot. A blind, self-esteem-less, idiot. In fact, I'm tempted to hunt you down and beat some sense into you.

Now I better not hear another word about you "sucking badly" understand...? Good. *pats head and gives cookie*

*looks around*

Well, I don't have a cookie, so have a nyan poptart kitty. poptartFINALTINY.gif

You, my dear, are an idiot. A blind, self-esteem-less, idiot. In fact, I'm tempted to hunt you down and beat some sense into you.

Now I better not hear another word about you "sucking badly" understand...? Good. *pats head and gives cookie*

*looks around*

Well, I don't have a cookie, so have a nyan poptart kitty. poptartFINALTINY.gif

But, but guyys.

A poptart cat will do, thank you! Finished another piece for my portfolio. Shape experiment, I'll post it later.

You sir, er, ma'am are very decent! Even beyond decent! You're fabulous at your art.

I have one question though.

Why is the speed paint a picture of food when it says "Grey dragon?" Or is that in fact a speed paint of food, and you have tricked me completely??

This is the picture I see: user posted image

Shokomon: I always wrongly use "speed paint" to describe a messy and quick sketch/painting. I know you're referring to videos showing the process though :3