vivo

Flitz's art thread.

Flitz, just wanted to say a few things. I really sympathize with how you feel so I have some stuff to say. *ramble entry here so sit tight.*

Your work is GORGEOUS.

You especially have a powerful understanding of human anatomy ( that awesome link you have up ) and the fact that all those sketches took around one hour is a pretty good indication - someone struggling with it in a typical sense of the word would take much longer for that quality. If you're using reference images to do those, don't think of it as no improvement or just "being on training wheels!" The mind (and perhaps even muscle memory) typically learns from sight, focus and repeating what you see. At least for artwork, learning a language, reading, and.. well yes. You get the point. Very useful technique branded in our instinct. xd.png

Shading on the owl ( and crow, perhaps? :> ) piece, I feel, would really take something from the style you have going there, which someone else did say now that I look through the thread, lmao! It's very.. Spirited Away/Totoro type of thing and I really like it! If you wanted to go solely serious and a little less playful, then a lot more shading could be applied, but overall, for that piece, the amount of shading you used wouldn't be considered "wrong" because it ties in with your style there. It doesn't look particularly wonky or anything.

I'd actually expect to see that piece on a children's book, lmao! So cute~

As for the Pokemon links... wtf. I can't really say anything about these! You have an excellent understanding of Pokemon anatomy well enough that you can completely change it and make it your own style without confusing people as to what Pokemon it is. I love it! Personally, I'd love to see more Pokemon artwork from you. ^-^ The personalities of the subjects you used is really there, and even the background/flat colors you used for the leetle portraits really classes the whole thing up. What I love most about them, though, is how you've exaggerated the features so well! I've always envied cartoon artists for that, too. You were able to make the Growlithe's features droop, for example, in all the right ways to portray a feeling of boredom, lackluster and so forth.

Your speedpaint is very lovely. Especially for a speedpaint. The brush options you used are very good choices. I don't know if you do already or not, but looking around well known artists and finding out what brushes they use for certain affects is a great way to improve coloring - most of them will provide links to the downloads of those brushes, and perhaps even explain which they use and for what. There are some really cool brushes out there waiting for us to download them - a digital artist's work is never done in that aspect. xd.png;

Finally, your lovely Christmas Sprites. I don't know much about spriting so I couldn't like.. tell you how to improve anything, but. x3 I really love the design and the color choices - the one thing is that the wings could hold a bit more texture on them instead of their shine taking of the majority of them.

That's all! ^-^

I'm not going to say "Flitz, you're insane! You should start showing off your work publicly! Help make the art world a better place!" though there's truth in that because when it comes down to it; I totally understand how you feel. When I see how good you are currently, and yet you refuse to consider it halfway near where you want to be, I don't think it's pessimism. My initial thought is "Wow. Her artistic ambition must be pretty high" which is a really good thing. Balancing university, a job and my ambition for music, writing, and learning a select few languages, it's hard for me to give my art the attention it needs. I'm fairly certain that I'm working at it much slower than you are as far as reaching our goals go. I don't publicize my art either, unless providing links to specifically show the people that I want to - not just out in the open. I've made some nice headway overall, but to be honest I'd really like to be able to draw Pokemon like you. xd.png It's a really great skill, especially if you're a Pokemon nerd like me and want to draw your Pokemon their personalities that you've imagined in them.

So in that, I hope you reach beyond where you want to be! ^-^

I have one question though.

Why is the speed paint a picture of food when it says "Grey dragon?" Or is that in fact a speed paint of food, and you have tricked me completely??

This is the picture I see: http://i44.tinypic.com/2zoxamx.png

Food? I see a little lizard-dragon thing that is indeed grey (with purple-pink spiky accents) sitting hunched over in a misty area and is also indeed a speed paint.

user posted image

WOH! WEEEEIRD! That wasn't the picture I saw last time. I think the cache was playing tricks on me. I promise this was another picture before... But in any case, SO AWESOME! Why do you doubt yourself??

If it's any consolation, I also saw the picture of food. It changed to the speedpaint of the grey dragon (which is adorable and fabulous and all kinds of amazing, by the way) but for a while it was different.

Momo your comment made me incredibly happy. Thank you so much for taking your time to share your thoughts with me! And giving me critique for the sprites :3

Also, hah, yeah now I get what you mean Shokomon. I think Tinypic tends to do that once in a while.. I've seen it happen but I don't know why.

Anyway, a WIP of a boring dragon to showcase my ability and understanding of shading (which you can't really see yet.. because he hasn't been shaded) and a "shape" experiment that turned out horrible. I had a very different idea of what I wanted this one to look like and it ended up being boring and bland. Also, ignore the text, random rambling :/

Anyway, Dragon WIP 0.7 Pencil, 50 minutes (so far), Medium Surface Cartridge pad

user posted image

(I need to fix his left nostril.)

Stupid animals yada-yada, 40 minutes to draw animal shapes and cut them out (ref used), 2 hours to align animals, ink them, colour in banner etc.

user posted image

Edited by flitzthesoulreaper

So far the dragon looks nice smile.gif The shading on the horn looks good, but I do wonder what the white line along each horn ridge is. If it's a highlight, shouldn't it be on the overlapping part, rather than the part that is being overlapped? Ignore this if those are also still a work in progress, of course happy.gif

The angle of the whole head is slightly confusing. The eye tells me it's a full side view, but then the rest tells me it's a 3/4 view. However, this might just be because the eye is shaded and the rest isn't smile.gif

So far the dragon looks nice smile.gif The shading on the horn looks good, but I do wonder what the white line along each horn ridge is. If it's a highlight, shouldn't it be on the overlapping part, rather than the part that is being overlapped? Ignore this if those are also still a work in progress, of course happy.gif

The angle of the whole head is slightly confusing. The eye tells me it's a full side view, but then the rest tells me it's a 3/4 view. However, this might just be because the eye is shaded and the rest isn't smile.gif

Hah! He's still missing an eye tongue.gif Yeah, it's a 3/4 view, his left nostril needs to be lowered and his jaw needs to be fixed.

For now the white for the ridges on the horn is just an indication for where the next part starts. It'll be darkened later after I do the finalised shading.

user posted image WIP of my DC scroll link art. I should probably mention I love tri-horned wyverns (because my icon, Valentine wishes and tikigurl91's custom coloured penguin she made for me don't show that at all). Decided to post this big boy since I won't be working on him anymore for today. Gotta finish portfolio stuff. (Start actually, ahem..)

Ignore the "Flitz" part. Just trying out stuff.

That sprite is coming out really, REALLY cool. <3

I love Tri-Horned wyverns, too! I have sooo many of them and I need to start hoarding more again. They're so far my favorite breed, ff.

Liking the scroll link so far. Fits the rest of your tri-horn theme. xd.png

Some dragcave concept art. If anyone's interested I'll post the entire set. If anyone wants to pick these babies up feel free to. I already have my hands full on the Frosts, the Tarns and my portfolio.

Do whatever you want with them.

Oh, it's so cute! Fur on dragons <3

I don't really do much in Requests, but otherwise I'd try to do something with it.

Thanks Dimar. I'll probably end up posting the entire set at some point since I'm likely to throw the sketches away and there might be a chance someone does "take them in".

Your arts are so wonderful! Congratulations for being an awesome artist flitz! smile.gif

I especially love the owl one, so beautiful. ^^

Thank you Annie smile.gif

Some more WIP. Has been some time since I did anything digital. I'm very excited about it and I think that I can get something good out of it.

user posted image

MOAR W.I.P.

Quick 30-minute sketch I made at school. I like it enough so I'll Ink and colour it.

user posted image

The characters are from a story aimed at children that I'm planning on illustrating once I deem myself decent enough.

W.I.P. of the first part of my 3-piece series "Hello World" which is basic html coding taken literally. (Pure ink, probably an hour+)

http://i42.tinypic.com/51etzk.jpg

Your art is AMAZING--beyond that, actually. blink.gif I can't, I just can't... *dies*

*reanimates* I will forever be stalking this thread. >:D *whispers* Imma be a stalker zombie now *whispers*

MOAR W.I.P.

Quick 30-minute sketch I made at school. I like it enough so I'll Ink and colour it.

user posted image

The characters are from a story aimed at children that I'm planning on illustrating once I deem myself decent enough.

W.I.P. of the first part of my 3-piece series "Hello World" which is basic html coding taken literally. (Pure ink, probably an hour+)

http://i42.tinypic.com/51etzk.jpg

I would definitely read both of these!

Especially the children's illustration book, lmao!

The characters already seem very unique and likely to stick with anyone both young and old!

Keep up the excellent work. ^-^

user posted image This was the Ardour-Crested dragon. Didn't make it, thus it'll be dumped here. Not much process with my portfolio I'm afraid and I'm starting to get worried.

Ooh, I saw that in your sig a little bit ago and was curious. I think it's really neat looking, so I'll be watching the DR section for it to appear. I want to know more about it.

I hope your portfolio starts coming together better! You're a great artist, even if you're feeling worried or stressed. *gives cookies*

edit because it annoys me when a smiley sneaks onto its own line x3

Edited by Dimar

Thank you both!

Hah, and I know the feel.

user posted image

Bad photograph of an equally badly coloured piece. Absolutely no logical palette and its a mess. I loved the sketch so I', quite disappointed to see this ruined.

On another note. My laptop's done for. Lost around 3 pieces that were going to be in my portfolio. I'm so damn nervous.

Quick sketch of a character of mine. He's been living in my head for quite a while. His name is Huginn and he's a deity. This is his half form in the realm of the gods. In our world he usually possesses children. He's a pretty short dude.

user posted image

His anatomy is a tad stylised, he has a thinner neck, longer torso-to-legs ratio, a larger head and, well. Uh, wings? It isn't done yet.