SoiledLove

Awesome Teachers

Have your teachers ever done something awesome, funny or just plain silly? Have you ever had a teacher you would label as 'awesome'?

I have. My seventh grade History teacher baked everyone cookies for our eight grade graduation ceremony. They were yummy... She was so awesome, everyone loved her.

My Eighth grade physics teacher made all the formulas we had to learn in class into songs and sang them to us. How awesome is that. She threw a cup of water on the floor to demonstrate that the larger the surface area, the quicker a fluid evaporates. She also nailed a nail into the wall with a whiteboard eraser to show us that pressure increases when area decreases.

What about you?

Oooh... our biology teacher! She was great.

She always ran her exam questions by her husband to make sure they weren't too easy or hard (he was a biologist so they were still pretty hard laugh.gif ). She was also extremey knowledgeable in her field but never expected us to just take her word for something, she always showed her sources or proof.

And we had an english teacher who claimed to be a witch. To be fair, she did get a bunch of teenagers to learn irregular verbs, so there must have been magic at work. xd.png

Warning: Rant ahead. I didn't mean for this post to be so long, jeez! laugh.gif

I love my chemistry teacher this year. Our previous teacher was always kinda bored in class, and she'd get all upset in the lab and then I was panicking too and messed stuff up. But this new young teacher is always so excited about what he's teaching and sometimes gets a bit carried away and goes off on tangents, and he's laid back and helpful and funny. He writes little notes on our tests, like he wrote "The thinking process was right! =)" on mine when I somehow mixed up the electronegativity of carbon and hydrogen. I'd been upset about it because wtf, I have no idea what happened there, but that made me feel a lot better. :3 I might even have a tiny little crush (more like squish, like a friendly crush) on him. The only problem is that he expects us to know quite a lot by now, but nobody remembers stuff from the past years. I'm personally fine, as I'm very interested in chemistry, plus I have stared into the periodic table for long enough to know all the element symbols and have the general gist of where they're located (which the old teacher never actually required and it caught everyone off guard). Others are struggling a bit. *didn't mean to sound like bragging* But I'm sure this issue will even out, we've only had him for two months after all.

Annnd story time!

Once we distilled cheap boxed wine in the lab to get ethanol, and my classmate took a photo of him pouring it into a cylinder. (With his knowledge. The only problem is that I was there taking photos as well, and I'm in the background looking creepy.) I've been showing it to people like, "Look! This is what we do in chemistry!" xd.png

And another time in the lab (I wasn't there), a girl from another class came around during break and went around hugging people, and he went up and hugged her too. Everyone started laughing and he goes, "Hi! My name's [name] and I teach chemistry here. Nice to meet you!" She was mortified. xd.png

I and my friend also joke that he is married to nitrogen, because it's quite clearly his favourite element. He's always using it in examples and stuff. Once he asked my classmate to choose a random element and she picked it, and he was like, "No, you can't have nitrogen. Nitrogen is mine. Pick another." It's just like me and my phosphorus obsession.

My history teacher for the past 4 years (but no more sad.gif) was super awesome too. We were all terrified of him at first, because he used to be in a military school or something, and he introduced himself by slamming the door and shouting (the class had admittedly been making quite a racket). But then he turned out to be cool, one just had to behave reasonably. He'd always jokingly come up with ridiculous threats to people who talked in class and such, and if you forgot your books, he'd demand your lunch (but never actually took it).

Edited by Orlageddon

My current teacher for History is so laid back even though I call her The Bloodsucker. Not that I don't like her, but she is Mrs A Leech.

A Leech.

I like my Science teacher too. My old one was nuts, but she is so organised but in a good way. Plus, she gave me a lunch pass so I don't have to queue at lunch. Finally. For no apparent reason.

I don't like my French teacher, my Latin teacher, my Mathematics teacher or that other teacher who clearly hates me so I can't be bothered in knowing her name.

My current Spanish I H teacher is the greatest. She is too kind and sweet to take seriously sometimes. She can't even try to act mad, or follow through with anything that she feels hurts her students. One time, she tried to write a detention for a student who was messing around during the entire class, and the punishment ended up being an "I'm sorry" in Spanish.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

My current Physics teacher to prove a point had a student smash a brick on his hand with a hammer to show that it wouldn't hurt him. It was pretty cool.

Our Science teacher is just great in general. He's funny, nice, and pretty cool. Sadly, he's kind of a pushover, so I get angry when he's teaching and everyone's just talking and interrupting. dry.gif

I used to have a science teacher who literally baked an entire cake for every person in the class's birthday. But she was basically awful in every other way, and took marks off if we spelled something wrong. Even if it wasn't one of the terms we had to learn. In science class.

Man, how are most of you getting such good science teachers? My Biology H teacher is my least favorite. He seems to constantly go out of his way to make his students seem like complete idiots when they ask a weird question or give a incorrect answer.

Edited by Bacon_Strips

Going with the trend, my absolute favourite teacher was my Chemistry teacher last year. He was lovely, and funny, and never left anyone behind. I got top grades that year barely trying just because he taught really well. During tests, he'd go around handing out lollies, bought the class pizza when we did well on an assessment and did semi-illegal experiments for us (exploding a helium balloon etc.) This year... well, let's not talk about my new teacher, he irritates me majorly.

Then there's my English teacher, who always calms us down when we're freaking out from stress, and has the most amazing collection of idioms which she whips out in conversation.

Finally, until this year, we had an amazing French teacher. Our class has been through three years with her, it's small now so it's like a family. She was always really nice and went the extra mile. We had French breakfasts with croissants and hot chocolate and French magazines. Sadly, she had to leave halfway through this year due to health and family problems. We gifted her stuff and wrote her cards; she did the same for us. I still have mine. Our whole class misses her and we're meeting up for one last time after our French exam in a few weeks.

Pizza?

In our school, pizza parties are rather common... My English teacher threw one last week.

My current teacher is a little too "awesome". If people don't finish their homework he gives class time to complete it, to the point of pushing the intended classwork to replace the intended homework.

My 4th-grade teacher came to my birthday party! THAT was awesome. ..... Come to think of it, my kindergarten teacher and the teacher's aid came to my birthday party back then, too. I never felt like "ooohh I'm special!" 'cause of it, it was just awesome to have teachers I cared so much for celebrating with me.

I *really* wish I could remember this better, but in.... 3rd grade, I think... We had a spelling test every Friday, and the teacher would do the whole "say the word, use it in a sentence, say the word again" thing for us. Except she'd deliberately make up the *weirdest*, funniest sentences.... The only one I actually remember was something like "The fuzzy bunny jumped into the black boot." or something. I don't even remember what the spelling word was in that sentence.

High school, Shakespeare class, teacher pretty much gave us free rein to come up with "some sort of interesting thing to present to the class" that had to do with 'Measure for Measure'. I had missed the first few weeks of class and was struggling to catch up, so basically just threw something together, using Reba McEntire's 'The Night the Lights Went out in Georgia" as a parallel to parts of the play. I played the song on my tape-player with the words on the projector, while I explained the different similarities. Not only did the teacher sing along, I got a great grade. (Don't even ask me what the heck the parallels were, I don't remember!)

And then my last 3 years of high school, my alternative-education teacher, who would encourage us to do Yoga (we had actual Yoga-classtime), and would easily give us time to talk and be silly and gossip, as long as work ended up getting done. We even had beanbag chairs around the room, and me and a friend eventually basically claimed two as ours and hardly ever even worked at the tables.

My third grade teacher was really funny and tall and good at sports and he also used to dye his hair for the seasons. Like in summer he dyed his hair bright yellow and in winter he dyed his hair really light platinum blonde. He was pretty much the only public school teacher I had that I actually liked. uwu;

Awesome teacher? Of course! I had one legendary professor for Filipino. He's a director and writer. Very interesting lectures with anecdotes. biggrin.gif

lol my Chemistry teacher (the one from my last post) needs to stop being so goddamn adorable because I can't. I turned in my lab protocol, and apparently it's pretty good, because he wrote "My heart rejoices in your protocol!" in red crayon and drew two smileys on it. I about died laughing. xd.png

biggrin.gif

I have quite a few awesome the teachers!! Currently, I have a great science teacher who gave me this long speech about becoming a vet, and a really nice P.E. teacher, who's ULTRA kind!!

I also have the most evil english teacher who has this nose... It's HUGE!!! wink.gif

Yes, I have been lucky enough to have had some awesome teachers over the years. My sixth grade teacher was kind to alland made us want to do our work and then some.

My sophomore English teacher was unusual and something extra. I had really wanted the other teacher, but got the new one who proved to have lots of ideas working out of the box. First the essence then the correct expression of it.

My Junior and Senior English teacher in High School was hated/disliked when we had her but as almost all of my class of 30 some girls got credit in college for at least 6 hours of English she made my college English classes a breeze.

Next time we'll discuss College professors. lol

My high school Latin teacher was pretty cool. He managed to get away with throwing his classes a holiday party on the last day before winter break each year by calling it the ancient Roman festival of Saturnalia and telling us to show up in togas over our clothes. He also translated a bunch of Christmas carols into Latin, just because. Now picture a class of teenagers, all laughing our butts off as we sat in class singing, "Prima die natalis, amator dedit mi, perdicem in piro. Secunda die natalis, amator dedit me, dos turtures, et perdicem in piro..."

The other really cool teacher in high school was the astronomy teacher. My high school was built new in the mid 1970s (I graduated late '80s) and had state of the art everything at the time, including a planetarium and observatory. I don't recall the entire story behind it, but our star projector was at one time even better than the one in the Hayden Planetarium of NYC; that we'd gotten some kind of bargain because some company or other had commissioned it and then lost funding and canceled the order after it was already built, so that the school was able to buy it at cost. Anyway, under the astronomy teacher, we got to learn to run the star projector and do star shows for the kindergarten classes of the town as well as learning stuff about the stars and the solar system and all that. He ran the astronomy club, of course, and organized some incredible trips, such as one to Florida to view Halley's Comet in 1986, and one to Washington DC to visit the Naval Observatory (which got rained out, boo hiss) and the National Air and Space Museum in 1987.

My violin teacher is awesome. He has a good sense of humor and explains everything in a way that I can understand it. smile.gif

Good teachers are, like, actual gifts and I appreciate them so much. My favourite teachers were my English, maths and physics teachers. My English teacher was actually from England and had this booming voice and made plenty of Doctor Who references (he's sort of an embodiment of Nine), strict but fair and really understanding. My maths teacher was really funny, explained things so clearly that my grades shot up despite the fact that I really struggled with maths in primary school, he also had a really soothing voice. My physics teacher was this tiny, no-nonsense Scottish lady, who also explained things really clearly and logically and set it out however we asked and went through assignments we were stuck on and yeah, I gave her chocolates and a card when I graduated. University lecturers and tutors are a little different though...makes me miss school, to be completely honest.

I had an awesome teacher in highschool. I had her in both latin and russian. She wasn't abusive, but she didn't pull any punches, you definitely made sure to have made your homework for her classes. If you didn't understand something she stuck with you until it was lodged in your brain. It was probably possible because we were very small groups of very few students, so when one person had a problem everyone was brought in on it.

Her favorite roman emperor was Nero.

After just a few weeks of having studied russian, she brought us to Russia, and left us in separate families that didn't speak anything other than russian for almost a week. Lots of awkward attempts of communication happened, but I think that was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

In return, she also brought russian students to our school, and while here she showed them information about subjects in russian history that are apparently still a bit of a hush-hush subject in Russia; at least the students themselves said they'd never been told about those things.

She herself had also been present at some important historical events in Russia, and from a russian POV. Like, she got first hand experience of how people spoke (or didn't speak) of the extent of the chernobyl disaster just when it had occurred, and after.

Back in school, she also let us decorate the walls outside and inside her classroom. She wanted to leave a permanent mark, she said. So we painted illustrations from old russian folktales, flowers and their names in latin, and some proverbs in both latin and russian. With the russian folktale-paintings we also wrote segments of the story next to the illustrations, but we only has the translated versions originally, so we had to translate them back to russian again. Since they were going to be permanent editions to the classroom we had to take extra care that we used correct grammar and language.

We were the last group she'd teach before retirement, even though she didn't want to retire, 67 years old and all and she still got things going on like no other teacher at that school.

Some students didn't like her methods, thought they were too harsh, but when they were reminded of the fact that we did actually learn things from her, every single one of the class agreed to chip in on a flower bouquet for her when our last day came around. It was a big bouquet, blue in color (her favorite color) and made up of some quirky flowers like the Lily of the Nile. Turned out she had planned something as well, and we spent the last day making and eating cake.

While she was harsh, she was the complete opposite of my worst teacher ever who was also harsh, but she (the bad teacher) made you feel bad. If you had a problem she would loudly proclaim to the class "Can't you even do this yet?!" I'm convinced that teacher contributed to my unwillingness to ask anyone for help, and unreasonable fear of my inadequacies showing. dry.gif Awesome teacher on the other hand helped you through it, she didn't comfort you, but she made sure that you tried again and again until you arrived at the correct answer.

Edited by Ripan

My English teacher in high school was a small frail woman. In my class, there was also a big, loud boy. He wasn't actually mean, he just took up a lot of space, socially, I mean.

And that English teacher never gave an inch to him. Sometimes she straight out threw him out of the classroom when he was being too loud and refusing to shut up. It was glorious to see such mental strength and confidence.

That, and she was a kickass teacher. She explained her material very well and English wasn't even our first language. Now, native speakers have complimented on my English.

I had another cool teacher in middle school. He was a History teacher and he was extremely tall. My class in middle school was a very undisciplined and loud one; teachers had a lot of trouble with us. His classes were very quiet and orderly ones. The funny thing was, that he was married to another History teacher in our school. She was a tiny woman and it was kinda amusing to see them in the parking lot in the morning.

So far in college, I haven't had any incredibly awesome lectors but I have had one who talked about irrelevant things most of the time so I didn't learn much; he still gave me a C on the exam.

I also have a certain fondness for the Biochemistry lector but it's mostly for the subject; he tends to talk about completely new and awesome breakthroughs in kinda bored and casual manner.

Edited by LwyllasLaVey