• Past Jobs
  • NPCs and NPC Information
  • News
--Fourth Post: Characters Galore
  • Character Directory
  • Accepted Characters
  • Ship Space
Introduction

"Her name's Opportunity. She ain't a person, though. A ship, that's what she 's. Not pretty to most, but beautiful to us. Opportunity's our home, our job, and our life. It's 2520 and, well, Earth ain't 'round no more. Up and died, it did. So we got on our ships and left 'er to burn. We colonized other planets and used our technology to make them habitable to humans.

It's been a while since the first colonies and we've since advanced in both technology and animosity. It's become commonplace to hitch a ride on a ship and visit other planets. And so now it seems easier than ever to smuggle and commit crime. Who could come and get you in the black? But then the central planets formed the Alliance and, well, things went south.

It's more than ten years after the war, but tensions still run high. That information's only useful if you were born yesterday, but someone once told me that I'd have to be diligent to captain a ship. So that's what I'm bein'.

Anyway, my crew and I have to do jobs to survive. We take anything that pays good, don't much care how dangerous."

- The Ship Logs of Lyra Benjamin, Captain of PTS Opportunity

Setting

The 'Verse

The Earth pretty much got used up. The population grew too large and Earth just didn't have enough resources to sustain itself, growing more and more unsuitable for life with each passing year. Fortunately, humans had advanced enough technology to move to another part of space and settle on other planets. Obviously not every planet is suited to human life (most of them were not to begin with), so most of them were terraformed (see below for definition). Humans have also settled on moons, many of which are poorer or belong to a single person or group of people.

Map of the 'Verse

Information About Planets/Moons

The Ship

PTS Opportunity is a Firefly-class vessel, model one. It's not small, not large. One could accurately say that this class of ship is the medium-sized one, in between the Wren-class ships (smaller) and Vanderdecken-class ships (larger).

It's got enough room for four crew members to have their own rooms and four guests to have private rooms, though some crew members may sleep in the guest quarters if there's a shortage of space. There are also two shuttles that people could rent out and sleep in, but that much space would only be needed in special circumstances. Plus, it's vital that the people onboard don't exceed what the ship can hold, lest life support be unable to provide heat and air for all of them.

Interior Map

Exterior Picture

More Information

Important Terms

Ship Prefixes

PTS = Private Trade Ship

PLS = Private Leisure Ship

CTS = Commercial Trade Ship

CVS = Commercial Voyaging Ship

AAC = All-Purpose Alliance Craft

UC = Unregistered Craft

Slang

Ship = Spaceship

Craft = Spaceship/Aircraft

Browncoat = One who fought against the Alliance

Alliance = The current ruler of all the human-inhabited planets; ruled by a parliament; formed by the central planets

Purple-belly = Derogatory term referring to a member of the Alliance

Rutting = Swear word

Bang-up = Great (sometimes used sarcastically)

Mite = A small amount

Peck = A large amount

Atmo = Atmosphere

The black = Space

Reavers = Madmen who live on the edges of space; greatly feared; existence debated by some

The 'verse = The universe

Cortex = Widespread information network (similar to the internet)

Wave = A communication (text, video call, audio call, hologram, etc.)

Terraform = To alter a planet's characteristics, making it suitable for human life

Crew/Roles Aboard Opportunity

Captain - In command of the ship (necessary) - TAKEN

First Mate - Second-in-command of the ship

Pilot - Controls the ship; is subject to orders from Captain and First Mate (necessary) - TAKEN

Medic - Medical professional aboard the ship - TAKEN

Mechanic - Makes sure the ship is running smoothly; in charge of ship repairs (necessary) - TAKEN

~Other crew members can exist, serving different purposes. For example, the canon has a preacher, mercenary, and companion included in the crew. But as their jobs are not necessary for the ship to be functional, they are not included. Each member of the crew has a purpose and so, even if the character has an unrelated job to spaceships, they may still become a part of the crew.~

The War

The Unification war started over technology and resources. The central planets formed what was called the Alliance, which spread to all the planets in the vicinity. But because only the central planets reaped the benefits, the outer planets seceded from the order, aiming to form their own union. But the Alliance did not like this decision because it brought shame to them, and thus the war began. The two sides that fought were the Alliance and the Independence (sometimes called the Independence Faction or Browncoats), though there were also those that took no side in the war. In the end, the Alliance won and the surviving Browncoats gravitated to the outer planets, seeking shelter from the harsher central planets.

More Information

Rules

Standard

• All DCF rules apply
  • Godmodding, powerplaying, etc. is not acceptable
  • Keep romance and gore close to PG-13 level, as that is the forum's restriction
  • Swearing is allowed, but censor evasion is not
  • I reserve the right to amend these rules at any time
  • Repeated infringements of the rules warrant a kick from the RP
  • Please let me know if you're going to be away to prevent awkward waiting
Specific
  • Only one character per person at the moment (this will most likely be changed in the near-ish future)
  • Be sure that your character is at least nineteen years of age
  • Be aware of the premise of this RP; you can't be friends with everyone and the characters are doing illegal work - no one's an angel
  • DO NOT post in first or second person ("I"/"we" or "you" respectively) or in the present or future tenses
  • Do your best with grammar and spelling to help us all understand easily
  • PM character sheets to me
  • Do not let issues escalate; report DCF rule infringements and PM me about thread rule infringements
  • Fill out all fields of the character sheet that are not marked as optional
  • Be aware that, if you're away for a long time and everyone is waiting on your character to post, thread mods have the right to puppet your character as needed to keep the plot moving
Character Sheet

Username: [Just your forum username.]

Character Name: [First and last name(s) of the character.]

Position: [What is his/her job OR why is he/she on the ship?]

Birth Planet/Moon: [What planet was the character born on?]

Appearance: [What does you character look like?]

Personality: [What does the character act like?]

History: [Describe the person's past!]

Weapons: [Please don't overpower your character. It's okay if they don't have any weapons.]

Strengths: [What is the person good at?]

Weaknesses: [What makes he/she falter?]

Likes: [Does he like guns? Does she like strawberries? You decide!]

Dislikes: [What irks him or her?]

Motto: [Just a catchphrase (optional).]

Theme Song: [A song that describes him or her in some way (optional).]

Other: [What other information can you give (optional)?]

[B]Username:[/B]
[B]Character Name:[/B]
[B]Gender:[/B]
[B]Age:[/B]
[B]Position:[/B]
[B]Birth Planet/Moon:[/B]
[B]Appearance:[/B]
[B]Personality:[/B]
[B]History:[/B]
[B]Weapons:[/B]
[B]Strengths:[/B]
[B]Weaknesses:[/B]
[B]Likes:[/B]
[B]Dislikes:[/B]
[B]Motto:[/B]
[B]Theme Song:[/B]
[B]Other:[/B]

Edited by Mousia

~~Miscellaneous~~

F.A.Q.

Q: What are the weapons like?

A: Well, they're generally like our standard guns, but there are also swords and knives and even some lasers that run on batteries.

Q: What if I haven't seen the show/movie?

A: That's okay! We'll fill you in.

Q: What's the goal?

A: This is more of an open-world RP that's created by the RPers. It'll be shaped and altered by you.

Q: What does this have in common with the canon show/movie?

A: Pretty much everything, but the secret of Miranda/the Reavers hasn't been revealed and the main characters of the show don't really matter as much.

Q: My question isn't on here. What do I do?

A: Just PM me about it. I'm ready to answer your question(s).

Thread Mods

What are thread mods? Well, they're people that I've asked to help me run this monster. They're allowed to accept/reject character forms, kick people from the RP, and just take charge when I'm not around. If no thread mod is around, you should just use your judgement in posting. If it's really something you'd need help with, PM someone about it for an answer when they log on.

Who are the thread mods? Well, let me tell you! Hold on a second...

• Mousia (Owner)

How do I become a thread mod? If you really show a care for this RP and I see that you can fill in for me when I'm away, I'll PM you about it. If you don't want to be a thread mod, just say so! I won't be offended. smile.gif

Edited by Mousia

~~Captain's Logs~~

Current Job

This Stinks!

The characters must go to Lilac and retrieve a few crates of iron ore from a shady-looking guy only known as "Skunk". It is rumored that he poked his own eye out in a fit of insanity. Despite his unfortunate "fame" amongst natives, the crew will take the crates from him and deliver them to a middle-class blacksmith on Persephone that makes quality swords for the duels that often take place on the civilized planet.

Planets Visited

• Lilac

Past Jobs

None so far.

NPCs and NPC Information

We're bound to run into some NPC characters on our journey of the 'verse, so here's where information on them is stored. This is also so we can keep track of our standing with them. If we make friends with NPCs, they may give us more well-paying jobs or shelter us from the Alliance. Feel free to have your characters get waves from these NPCs at any time or to initiate a job.

"Skunk": An infamous older man who lives on Lilac. He's known for his shady dealings, but no one there can do much about it. Not many know where he sleeps or eats and those who do make every attempt to stay away. He's rumored to have poked his own eye out in a fit of insanity. Nevertheless, he pays well and always has things to transport. In short, he's reliable, albeit a little creepy. STATUS: Neutral

Isaac Wells: A well-made, literate man who lives on Persephone, Isaac is the kind of person that every father would want his daughter to marry. He is a blacksmith who makes quality swords and is a very law-abiding person. But times are tough, and he'll sometimes ask Captain Benjamin if she and the crew could help him transport product. This man pays well, though doesn't often require service. STATUS: Undetermined

Robert "Rob" ???: Rob grew up on an inner planet and, as such, sided with the Alliance during the war. After is ended, he met Lyra when she was still about eighteen (he was only a little older than she) and they had a short-lived fling, which ended abruptly when he saw her shoot his brother for nearly arresting her on suspicion of smuggling. Now, he goes after her for revenge, but who knows if they still have feelings for each other? STATUS: Mortal Enemies

News

• Sept. 21, 2013 - Thread created.
  • Sept. 28, 2013 - Thread approved.
  • Sept. 28, 2013 - So many updates!
  • Sept. 29, 2013 - Let the RPing begin!
  • Sept. 29, 2013 - First job: "This Stinks!"
  • Oct. 30, 2013 - Ship lands on Lilac.
  • Oct. 30, 2013 - Lyra shot by Rob.
  • Nov. 13, 2013 - Jay and Ronon meet Skunk
  • Nov. 30, 2013 - Jay and Ronon bring goods back to Opportunity
Edited by Mousia

~~Characters Galore~~

Character Directory

Captain: Lyra Benjamin, 26 (Mousia)

First Mate: Malcom Bution, 27 (Lore_Master)

Pilot: Jay, 31 (Biologist)

Medic: Li Xiao [Ming Xiao], 27 (Mistress of Whispers)

Mechanic: Lawrence E. Ackerman [Ravioli], 21 (XiaoChibi)

Weapons Expert: Ronon Dex, 28 (Narath)

Mercenary: Ezra Mir, 21 (TotallyDrow)

Scientist: Suren Waite, 30-something (diaveborn)

Scientist: Luna Smith [Luna Jones], 24 (RainDash)

Jack-of-all-Trades: Morgan "Tas" Nightingale, 23 (Khallayne)

Former Companion: Athena Rochella, 25 (XxWaterGaridanxX)

Accepted Characters

~Mousia~

Username:

Mousia

Character Name:

Lyra Benjamin

Female

Twenty-six

Position:

Captain

Birth Planet/Moon:

Haven

Appearance:

Lyra has relatively thin brown hair that falls an inch or two beyond her shoulders. Her eyes are a dark green hue. The woman's skin is not freakishly pale nor particularly tan. Her jaw is on the harsher side and her face often devoid of a smile. Lyra stands at about 5'4" and weighs 118 lbs (not that it matters much in space anyhow).

Personality:

The woman is strong-willing, sharp-tongued, and not afraid to speak her mind. She is authoritarian and is of the opinion that those who can't deal with her should get off the ship at the next stop (of course, she'd sell any belonging they'd left behind). Always anticipating a fight, she keeps her wits and fists about her. However, when worst comes to worst, she's loyal and protective of her crew. It is the only family she has left and she views it as her job to keep everyone alive. Lyra is painfully aware of the dangers of their job, but still loves the way of life and would never abandon it.

History:

While Lyra was born on Haven, a desert-like moon, she often visited Shadow with her family to trade and such things. She was twelve when the war started and too young to fight, but the mindset of Shadow natives had already reached her. She was dead set on bringing down the Alliance somehow...someday... By the time she was old enough to fight, the war was already over. Browncoats had been miserably defeated and the planet of Shadow had been horribly bombed and deformed. Living there was a hopeless dream. It was destroyed. Lyra, about nineteen at the time, decided that she'd buy a ship, get a crew, and live life in the black. Haven brought back too many harsh memories for her to stay, though she vowed to return to the area to see her old friends before launching a full scale attack on the Alliance. The war isn't over in her head...

Weapons:

The girl was taught how to use a variety of guns to protect herself at a fairly young age and has had a fair amount of practice. She's hopeless with a sword and utterly opposed to lasers. She views them as cop-outs. Plus, Lyra isn't a fan of running out of batteries for her weapons.

Strengths:

-Has been educated in shooting from a young age

-Doesn't scare easily

-Is honest and direct

Weaknesses:

-Doesn't like being told what to do

-Knows nothing about medicine

-Can't fly a ship well

-Vengeful

Simple things, having something to do, authority, diligent workers, jobs that pay well

Dislikes:

People doing nothing, things that don't go according to plan, being corrected, her flaws being pointed out, those that challenge her authority

Motto:

"I thought I got a crew so I'd not have to do everythin' m'self!"

Theme Song:

Kryptonite - 3 Doors Down

Other:

~TotallyDrow~

Username:

TotallyDrow

Character Name:

Ezra Mir

Male

Position:

Mercenary

Birth Planet/Moon:

Bellerophon

Appearance:

Ezra Ezra - How he would look without mask

Personality:

Due to his trouble past and lack of memory regarding his childhood, Ezra finds it somewhat uneasy to be around others, thus he may come off as being rather aloof to those around him and a bit distant. With no one he could really trust, he has built up this wall that prevents himself from getting too close to others. His inability to trust and his fear of being oppressed has caused him to turn towards the life of a mercenary as a means of surviving.

History:

Not much is known about Ezra's history before the age of 9, mainly because Ezra suffers from a mild case of amnesia. What is known however is that at a young age of 9, he was in the possession of a group of slavers who had left him in one of their many cages occupied by their other 'valuables'. Fellow slaves within the cage he was confined within had been told to tend to his wounds. Whilst held captive, rumors began to spread that he was in fact the son of a notable member of the alliance hierarchy that was recently assassinated. The perpetrators holding no animosity towards a boy had instead decided to sell him for a small profit as oppose to giving him the same fate as his parents. Ezra's amnesia is a means of coping with the trauma of watching his parents die before him.

Soon after recovering from his wounds he was sold off to a member on Higgins Moon, where he was forced to work indefinitely as a mud miner. It was only through a fortunate turn of events several years after his introduction to this godforsaken planet that he managed to escape, along with several others. The years spent mud mining has helped him gain muscle as well as nurture his own feelings towards how the universe operates. Those who lack money are seen as inferior and are thus oppressed by those with money. Simply put, the poor are weak and the rich have all the power.

With no money, no home and no family that he knows of, Ezra now finds himself on the ship 'Opportunity' where his only goal is to make money and survive.

Weapons:

Dagger- Keeps them on hand at all times. Normally in his boot.

Pistol Always with him. His primary gun of choice.

Assault Rifle - His preferred secondary gun to bring with him on missions. Does not bring with him when walking around a planet. Only when required to.

Sniper Rifle - Normally kept locked away in a chest in his room. Only used when required on a job. Otherwise never used.

Strengths:

- Highly Skilled with weaponry

- Strong and agile.

- Can survive alone if required.

Weaknesses:

- Not good with the technical stuff required to pilot a ship

- Not the best on water

- When things go smoothly

- Seeing those that oppress get punished

- Honing his skills

Dislikes:

- Those that think they are better then others simply because they were born into wealth

- Those that profit from oppressing others

- People that make his job more difficult than it has to be

- Being asked about his past

Motto:

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"

Theme Song:

-

Other:

*All images used in this form are not of my creation. Full credits to each piece of art belongs to their respective owners*

~Mistress of Whispers~

Username:

Mistress of Whispers

Character Name:

Current alias: Li Xiao (real name: Ming Xiao)

Female

Position:

Passenger (has her own shuttle)

Birth Planet/Moon:

Unknown

Appearance:

Caucasian-Asian mix, petite and slender build, regal bearing, brown hair that frames a heart-shaped face in gentle waves, hazel eyes. Not stunningly beautiful, but certainly very pretty. (Picture)

Personality:

Soft-spoken, highly intelligent. Abhors violence and refuses to fight. Seems to suffer from nightmares and post-traumatic stress syndrome.

History:

Xiao rarely (never) speaks about her past, but some rumours have filtered through. People say she was present at the battle of Serenity Valley, though it's unclear on which side she fought. Some people even say she is a war criminal, but again it's unclear on whose behalf she perpetrated these unknown atrocities. One far-fetched rumour states that she is a survivor of the annihilation of Shadow.

Weapons:

Xiao is in possession of a ballistic mesh armor which she often wears underneath her clothes. She owns no weapons.

Strengths:

Highly intelligent

Very strong-willed

Extremely perceptive

Genius at military tactics

Good hacker

Has a knack for languages

Perfect eidetic memory

Cortex Spectre: there is no data on Ming Xia in the cortex

Weaknesses:

Lacking physical strength

Pacifist

Horrible with guns

Dark Secret: contribution to the war

Stigmata: known former Alliance member

Stigmata: known Independents member

Deadly Enemy: the Alliance is very actively looking for her

Memorable: stands out in people's minds (pretty and soft-spoken)

Hooked on happy-pills (though other narcotics will do in a pinch)

Traumatic Flashes

Nightmares

Obsession: anything to do with the planet Shadow

Her pills. Being left alone.

Dislikes:

Violence. People who pry.

Theme Song: Chinese Burn

Other:

Notable equipment: databook (encrypted), hacking tools, one dose of cyanol poison (carried on her at all time), one month worth of happy-pills, set of pictures of browncoats, set of pictures of seemingly burn victims. She owns her own shuttle, which is hosted inside Opportunity's cargo bay.

~XiaoChibi~

Username:

XiaoChibi

Character Name:

Lawrence E. Ackerman, but sometimes goes by the nickname "Ravioli."

Male

Position:

Mechanic

Birth Planet:

Beaumonde

Appearance:

Lawrence. He often wears a mechanic uniform with embroidered wings that intersect on the back. Underneath, he wears a black tanktop. He wears tartan scarves, and usually changes the color daily. Regarding casual wear, Lawrence wears a plain grey shirt and black cargo pants.

Personality:

Lawrence is an introverted individual, but when he speaks, he's rather sharp tongued and sassy. He's not afraid to speak his mind, and has some rebellious moments. He has a strong sense of morality and believes that everyone deserves freedom.

History:

Lawrence prefers not to speak of his past, but it's known that he became interested in fixing things, particularly ships, at a young age when he moved to a city in Beaumonde. He was originally from the countryside, and his father was a handyman.

Weapons:

Pocket knife- Usually kept in his pocket. Carries at all times.

Pistol- Only used during emergencies. He keeps this in his box.

Scimitar Since Lawrence mostly lurks around in the engine room, he rarely uses his scimitar as a weapon, but he practices during his free time.

Strengths:

-Ability to fix most machines, items, etc.

-Strength

-Swordsmanship

-Intelligence

Weaknesses:

-Pride

-Acrophobia (being on a space ship doesn't bother him)

-Pacifist

-Aim with a gun

-Tends to fall asleep easily

Pasta (particularly ravioli), peace, fixing things, sleeping, whistling while working, and scarves.

Dislikes:

Bitter foods, carelessness, dust, rust, arrogance, and being corrected.

Motto:

"Freedom is a privilege that we must work for. And while you are at it, whistle."

Theme Song:

by Imagine Dragons

Other:

He'd do almost anything for pasta and owns a collection of tartan scarves.

~Lore_Master~

Username:

Lore_Master

Character Name:

Malcom Bution

Male

Position:

First Mate

Birth Planet/Moon:

New Melbourne

Appearance:

Malcom has thick, shaggy blonde hair that reaches to the back of his neck. His eyes are a hazel-like colour. Because it often rained on New Melbourne, his skin is more pale then most of the other crew members. He stands roughly at 5'9, and weighs just under 135 lbs.

Personality:

Malcom is probably one of the most laid-back people you'll ever meet. He likes to crack jokes, be sarcastic and overall just bug people. Despite this annoying trait, he is very good at following orders and making sure everyone is okay. Some say his light-hearted attitude is him masking his past, whether that's true or not is up to Malcom to reveal. Ever now and then, he likes to flirt with some of the women planet-side, but mostly end up disappointed or with a red slap-mark.

History:

Malcom was born on New Melbourne, where the only jobs were fisherman and dock worker. As soon as he could walk and talk, he was given a rod and taught how to fish. It was the same schedule each and every day. Wake up, go to school for the morning, come back home, spend the afternoon fishing. For twelve years, this was all he ever did. When the war began between the Alliance and the Browncoats, that's when the port began its transformation. In the span of a month, smugglers from both the central and outer Worlds began to use the port as a staging ground. It was there that an experienced rouge took Malcom under his wing, and taught him everything he knew. In the span of a few years, Malcom went from Fisherman to a small-time smuggler. The money he made was just enough to make his family stop questioning him, thus freeing him of his fate as a fisherman. Once the war ended, Malcom had amassed enough money to buy a UC and expend his growing network. From there on in, he made his living smuggling drugs to the central planets, and illegal technology to the border worlds. In time, he gained his own crew and a state of the line PTS. However, this all came crashing down when a small team of Federal Marshals found them in the black. Although Malcom had managed to lose them, almost all of his crew ended up dead, and his ship was almost ready to explode. Taking an escape pod, he watched as all he had worked for explode before his very eyes. Eventually, he made his way to Hera. He quickly enlisted onto the PTS Opportunity at the age of twenty-five to avoid the Feds. His dreams of returning to smuggling died down when he became the First-Mate.

Weapons:

Pistol - A regular pistol he carries around with him. It has noticeable rust, and several parts look like replacements.

Laser Pistol - His pride and joy, and the most valuable thing he ever stole. Nowadays its more of a keepsake, but he will bring it out in dire circumstances.

Flashbangs - Since Malcom was never taught to fight fair, he always carries a few of these babies wherever he goes.

Caltrops - Malcom carries a leather pouch full of them. While moving around, he likes to dump a few of them around, making anybody who steps on one a dead man.

Strengths:

- Malcom still has some contacts, so he easily gather information when he hits planet-side.

- Malcom can often talk himself, or others out of a mess.

- He is extremely good with his pistol, often focusing on hitting vital organs and "vulnerable targets"

Weaknesses:

- His tendency to 'wing it' means he's not the best at following plans.

- He can also take himself into a problem

- While proficient in causing chaos during a fight, he has trouble fighting in the open.

- Tea

- Women

- Old music

Dislikes:

- People touching his stuff

- Fishing

- Over-serious people.

Motto: "Teach a fisherman how to smuggle, and he'll be set for life."

Theme Song:

Darkness and Light - Nlogsoft

Other:

~Narath~

Username:

Narath

Character Name:

Ronon Dex

Male

Position:

Weapons Expert

Birth Planet/Moon:

Haven

Appearance:

Ronon Dex is a large muscular man, about six feet and 4 inches tall. He has long, dark black hair, and tanned skin. Ronon also has a short beard and a moustache. You will often see him wearing a leather vest, pants, and bracers, the only armor adorning his body, a studded metal chest piece.

Personality:

Ronon is usually short and to the point whenever he's on duty, only talking when needed. When he's off, he will loosen up, and try to enjoy life a little more. He is a great ally to have, as he always gives everything his all, and protects those he values with his life.

History:

Ronon began pirating at a very young age, always going on smuggling runs with his family. One of these smuggling runs however, the Alliance caught wind of what was going on, and sent vessels after them. When the ships finally caught up to them, instead of issuing a warning and an option of surrender, they straight out opened fire, causing the family ship to be torn to bits. Ronon barely escaped onto a lifepod before the rest of his family were blown into atoms. Ever since, he has had a grudge against the Alliance, and will take any excuse to fight them.

Weapons:

Energy Magnum (stun, kill, and incinerate settings), sword

Strengths:

-Can use nearly every weapon with skill.

-Hand-to-hand combat.

-Melee weapons

-Can build and modify weapons.

-Is very strong.

Weaknesses:

-Hates being on his own.

-Will put himself in harms way to help friends.

Guns, blades, dark chocolate, hanging out with friends and colleagues, kids (NOT in a creepy way).

Dislikes:

Disrespectfulness, backstabbing, white chocolate.

Motto:

"I just want to know who thinks I'm not a threat and give them a chance to change their mind."

Theme Song:

N/A

Other:

If someone attempts to negotiate with an Alliance member for some reason, Ronon will most likely either suggest shooting them, or shoot them himself, so it is best to leave him out of diplomatic situations, or at least hold him back.

~Biologist~

Username:

Biologist

Character Name:

Jay

Male

Position:

Birth Planet/Moon:

Shadow

Appearance:

Jay is a muscular man, hardened through hard work and battle, with quite a few scars. He has sky blue eyes and dirty blond hair, he is usually unshaven and wears work clothes (jeans and T-shirt with brown leather jacket and leather boots).

Personality:

He is loyal. Not much of a thinker and with a youth of hard work, he isn't very sophisticated, but likes straightforward things in life. He isn't the most intelligent person, but he is a man who likes to take action and isn't afraid to put his life on the line if he thinks someone deserves his loyalty.

History:

Jay grew up on a small farm on Shadow. He learned to ride the horses and drive the mules and even to fly the small transport ships to get their crops to supply ships in orbit after harvest time. His father taught him to shoot a gun and to drink beer, his brothers and cousins taught him the rest (brawling, more guns, more beer and everything he knows about girls). It was a simple life. Until he was 16. Until the bombs rained down.

He doesn't remember how he survived, but he did. He escaped off planet on a ship, leaving everyone and everything behind as the surface of his home planet lighted up like a christmas tree. Burning with anger and a desire for revenge, he joined the browncoats and fought long and hard. He was a loyal corporal and often surprised friend and foe with his tenacity and violence. All was going well. Until Serenity Valley.

He survived. After the battle of Serenity Valley, the browncoats were devastated and quickly signed the peace agreements. Jay disappeared into the outer system, trying to live off of his combat skills and his farming skills. He couldn't make ends meet, though, and has tried every job in the Verse (except for companion) to finally end up as a dealer in 'protoype tech' on the run due to unhappy clients and unhappy moneylenders.

He booked passage with his last coin to get off planet soon and is now on the Opportunity.

Weapons:

Pistol: his main weapon. Has a distinct browncoat look and feel to it. It has probably stayed with him since the war.

Bowie knife: for all purpose use.

Strengths:

Tough as nails: he has survived his fair share of apocalyptic events and his is still breathin'.

Broad skill set: his willingness and aptitude to take on any job has made him a good pilot, and gun for hire, a reasonable technician and cook, and a bad businessman.

Loyal: when he has a cause and a leader worthy of following, he'll stick to their side forever. Or until they betray him.

Weaknesses:

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer: Jay is a man of action and takes initiative. He is not a man of deep thought or high intelligence. One of the reasons he got bested in business deals.

Nightmares: due to the traumatic events of Shadow and Serenity Valley, he suffers from recurring nightmares.

Addiction: to forget, he drinks alcohol. Sometimes the more the better.

Debts: he has made a few bad deals and now he owes people money. A lot of people. A lot of money. He hopes he can outrun them for the time being, until he has a new game plan.

whisky, coffee (black), women

Dislikes:

Purple bellies, being shot at, being made to look a fool

Motto:

"Never say die."

Theme Song:

N/A

Other:

N/A

~RainDash~

Username: RainDash

Character Name:

Assumed name: Luna Smith

Actual: Luna James

Female

Position:

Scientist (Technology)

Birth Planet/Moon:

Ariel

Appearance:

Luna She dyed her hair green in preparation for the trip, but failed to realize how much it would make her stand out. She usually wears a long sleeved blue shirt with a white jacket. The white jacket has a variety of stains -usually grease stains. She can usually be seen with a pair of red goggles on.

Personality:

A bit air headed, most would assume that Luna is incapable of half of the feats she has accomplished. Capable of creating a motor out of a paperclip, a rubber band, and a battery, Luna tends to avoid people if she can help it. She hates fighting with guns, but owns a pistol. She keeps this locked up due to her unfortunate habit of tinkering with things in the middle of the night.

History:

Born into a wealthy family, it was clear that she would be married off quickly for money. Luna was six when she realized how to create a tiny camera, and seven when she knew what an arranged marriage was. At first she assumed that the man was a prince and that he was going to treat her like his princess.

She was wrong. At fifteen, she was shown the man she was supposed to marry. She spent five minutes with him and ended up with a black eye for speaking about how she liked tinkering. At eighteen, she tried everything to escape the marriage, but ended up having the marriage move quicker along. Once she was married, she spent six years locked in a room. She would be invited to gatherings and balls, but she had only her workbench and her plans for revenge. Within a month she planned how to escape Ariel and to murder her husband and fake her own death. Within two months she booked passage on the Opportunity with money that she had wired into a separate account.

Weapons:

Laser Gun- This is an experimental weapon, and is often all over the map. Either more powerful and lasts less time, or lasts longer but is significantly weaker.

Pistol- She keeps this locked up, so she doesn't tinker with it.

Bowie knife- She bought this before she came on the Opportunity. She keeps this on her at all times.

Strengths:

-Natural affinity for technology

-Empathy

-Can think on multiple things at once

-Not scared to fight if she finds it necessary

Weaknesses:

-Self taught, so she's not as good as someone who's been taught from classes

-Seems scatterbrained

-Tries to be 'on the right side' of everything morally

The Cortex

Computers

Technology

Kind people

Freedom

Puzzles (People, games, mazes)

Dislikes:

Locked rooms

Spiders

Extremely small spaces (Like a box where she can't move, the ship doesn't bother her.)

Snakes

Motto:

"The danger is what makes it fun, but I suppose that's just the adrenaline..."

Theme Song:

Other:

~diaveborn~

Username: diaveborn

Character Name: Suren Waite

(names, but not characterization, based on Being Human [uS] characters)

Age: Mid-thirties. Looks late-twenties at first glance, but a closer look shows fine lines around her eyes and on her forehead

Position: Scientist (Genetics Researcher / Hydroponist). Can grow fresh edible plants for the crew and if needed serve as part time cook.

Birth Planet/Moon: Sihnon

Appearance: Mostly like this (the same Eastern features and sections of her hair dyed). She looks less glamorous than in the picture - she doesn't wear makeup and her face usually has a less graceful expression - and is a little older and weighs a little more. She wears her clothing in layers, favoring long black or blue coats, lots of hidden pockets, and tall, heavy black boots with multiple buckles.

Personality: What facet of Suren's personality comes to the forefront depends to a great degree on who she's with, and to a lesser degree how she's feeling. She can be cool, even somewhat aloof or standoffish, with strangers due to being generally uncomfortable around people she doesn't know. At those times she's mostly quiet, preferring to observe rather than speak, unless called upon to speak about one of her areas of expertise. When she gets to know people, she becomes more open, and can be quite warm with people she considers friends. She knows how to go along with a plan and is quite willing to be led by someone she respects, but she can also be opinionated and stubborn about subjects she's taken care to educate herself on. Although Suren likes to take regular time for herself and her experiments, most days she doesn't mind being around people. But on bad days she can withdrawn, partially because she can get a bit too focused on her work and partially to protect others from her moodiness.

History: Suren was born on Sihnon to a family with a strong and purposeful sense of intellectualism and a more subtle, yet equally strong, religious belief, and she absorbed these values from an early age. Although as an adult she finds she is more occupied with the practices of science than with those of faith, she doesn't feel she has lost the faith-based aspect of herself. One of the many things she was taught as a child was how to cook, and her natural aptitude, largely due to an excellent palate, combined with her love of advancing new skills meant cooking became important to her. It was never her chosen path in life, however - she knew early on that she wanted to be a biologist, and studied genetics and botany on Sihnon. As she began to feel the importance of a richer diet being made available to those who lived in harsher planetary conditions or in space, she chose to focus on developing new strains of edible plants. She became interested in hydroponics, travelling to Osiris to study it, due to the applicability of hydroponic techniques in both planetary and space-based environments. Since then she has attempted to cultivate her own improved strains of plants, and has recently made some inroads in her experimental goals but knows she has much work to continue.

During the war much, but not all, of Suren's family sided with the Alliance; she was mostly absorbed in study and experiments and kept relatively neutral. Nowadays she still prefers not to claim she's part of either side, although she will identify as an Independent if pressed, feeling that law is not best made on a system-wide basis but that rules and structure are important to society.

She has lived for a time on Persephone and Bellerophon and has spent brief periods on Ariel and Londinium.

Weapons: She's never without weapons, but you might not know it to look at her. She keeps her small knives in hidden pockets and compartments in her clothes and shoes, and only has them for getting out of jams, not into them. She also likes to carry a small amount of acid; although this can serve as a weapon it's best for more subtle applications, such as dissolving a crude padlock or the circuitry of a more sophisticated electronic lock.

Strengths: Suren considers herself intelligent and well-educated in her field. She has strong senses of taste and smell, is generally very self-aware, and is willing to work hard for things she believes are important.

Weaknesses: Suren has a hard time getting computers to do exactly what she wants. She's not the best fighter - her greatest strength in a fight is the element of surprise, and once she loses that, things would tend to go rapidly downhill for her. She can overthink things at times, and can sometimes get stuck on an idea to the exclusion of others.

Likes: She likes to plan for a multitude of situations, and likes it when people she's working with are prepared for the unexpected. She embraces opportunities to expand her horizons even when it feels somewhat uncomfortable to do so. Beautiful architecture, the grace of the Companions, and the diversity of nature are all things she admires.

Dislikes: She doesn't like it if someone's lack of self-awareness impacts her, and it bothers her when people pretend to be something they're not or fail to be direct with her or others when problems arise. Suren also dislikes messy medical issues and hates when people bully those weaker than them.

~Khallayne~

Username:

Khallayne

Character Name:

Tas [Morgan Nightingale]

Female

Position:

Grudging janitor, unwilling bait, thief, and a fence

Birth Planet/Moon:

Persephone

Appearance:

Tas looks just plain uninhibited. It’s in the way that she moves and it screams in her body language. She has this way about her that shows that she doesn’t have a care in the world when it comes to herself and others. It makes her look as distant as she tries to act. There’s this look of desperation in her eyes as if she’s still trying to find something to make her want to stay. There’s that look that says ‘dare me’ and there’s a part of her that wishes she could say it too. It’s in her mannerisms, in the way that she doesn’t read people before opening her mouth or doing something. It shows in the way she stares at a risky mission as some sort of challenge; she’ll throw herself into it without a second of thought and there’s that fearless air to her, but the desperation is always there. It’s masked behind her neglected appearance, behind the dirt and grime on her skin and the bitten nails. It would show in her amber-ish brown eyes if they weren’t covered by her un-brushed mess of dark ash blond hair hacked haphazardly in extreme layers. She can’t be bothered, and she has other things on her mind and it’s obvious to see. But she can smile, and she can laugh, and that carefree act is what holds her together.

Tas doesn’t walk proudly, but nor does she hide herself in a slouch. She’s simply easy to pass over if one can ignore the fact that she’s ungainly and lanky, standing at 5’10”. Her clothes hang loosely on her body, tattered and worn. Her skin is slightly darker than tanned with an olive hue to it.

Personality:

To the naked eye she’s a troublesome thrill seeker with no sense of self-preservation and less of one of boundaries. There is nothing too dangerous, nothing too extreme. Tas lives her life by those words and it’s becoming quite the problem. Tas is cocky. Tas is arrogant. Tas will speak her mind and stare defiantly at anyone who dares tells her to shut up. She doesn’t give a damn on how people take her, or what they say about her. She will bark and bite the hand that feeds her and should only be trusted as long as there’s something in it for her. She has a problem with rules and authority and has a hard time keeping herself under any resemblance of control. She’s all over the place and despite her growing ego, she’s almost always all smiles because there’s a dare just beyond the corner that she’s going to have yet to face.

However, on the inside, Tas feels as if she’s grasping at drops of water and watching it slip through her hands. She’s not as confident as she acts and she rushes into situations just to remind herself that she can feel. Because with the fear and victory of survival comes that bliss of happiness. It’s just her way, she’ll lie. It’s a talent; what she’s good at. In truth, it’s an addiction, and one that she can’t kick to the curb. It’s her new rush and one that’s been satisfying so far, though it got her into more than enough trouble… Look at her, she’s on Opportunity, after all.

Tas isn’t a hero. She’ll never be a hero. She’s always looking out for herself. At best, she’s an antagonist. Her sense of morality is broken and she has learned to cope by simply assuming that it’s everyone’s fault that they’ve put themselves in the mess that they’re in. She did it to herself, after all, why didn’t everyone else do it to themselves. Blaming the Alliance or the browncoats is the way that people survive with themselves because they can’t stand to see the monster in the mirror, and hey, if they want to live with shaded glasses, Tas isn’t going to stop them. She’s jaded and self-centered and she doesn’t see a future in which that is going to change so why bother changing it?

Tas is a liar. She lies in everything that she does. She lies in the way that she acts higher than life when she isn’t saying a comment that may well end her up thrown out of the ‘ship. She lies with her smile and lies with her laugh. She lies in the way that she’ll swing down the railing and will dare someone else to do it. She surrounds herself in this never-ending tale to convince herself that she’s okay. That the desperation isn’t there. That she doesn’t have a problem. She’ll change like the wind and become the life of the party if it suits her. Everyone has that certain ‘nightlight’ that they need in their figurative ‘darkness’.

History:

Tas doesn’t talk much about her past. She’s been in some rough places, got with a bad crew, struggled with one thing and moved it to another to continue coping and surviving. She got into the trouble with the law and decided to make a living as a thief… Which is how she got stuck on the Opportunity. She got on, nabbed some loot, and came back for seconds, hiding when she noticed a crew member near her location. Well, lo and behold, the ship took off with her in it. Things became more and more interesting from there on out as she now works for Lyra to pay back what she stole. She threatens that at the next opportunity she’s going to get off the ship and no one would be able to catch her, but Tas has long since come to the realisation that there may be nothing more risky than what they do for a living. And she’s not ready to give that up yet.

Weapons:

Tas isn’t very good at weaponry. She knows which end to point a gun and how to push a trigger, but if you want her to shoot something you better be giving her a Gatling gun and giving her a wide area and staying the hell out of her way. It’s likely the only way she’s ever going to shoot anyone. What she does have are three throwing knives, a dagger, the kitchen supplies and a passion for things that explode. She’s mastered her hand-eye coordination and her aim over the years, and all she wants to do is get her hands on grenades. Piles and piles of grenades.

Strengths:

Making explosives, creativity, won’t back down from a job, messing up a perfectly good plan (what do you mean that isn’t a strength?!), can work her way around a computer and has a fascination with them

Weaknesses:

Doesn’t seek help from others, can’t fly or drive anything unless you want to hold on for dear life and pray to whatever deity that you worship that she doesn’t crash (but she’ll willingly try to!), can’t shoot the broad side of a ship from thirty feet away, doesn’t always listen to orders, egotistical, arrogant, most of her personality, won’t think things through, believes that she doesn’t need others, often can’t keep her tongue to herself, doesn’t always empathize well with others, won’t doubt herself, has no ‘this is a bad idea’ voice, often clumsy

Tas likes thrills and challenges. She likes being able to do something exciting and seeks it out at every opportunity. She likes being around people though she isn’t the best people person. She likes large explosions and fire. Likes most sweet things when it comes to food. Absolutely adores money and parties. Doing something that turns out right for a change.

Dislikes:

Cleaning, being alone, true darkness (not the ‘verse since there are stars, but rather being locked into a room with no light), sensory deprivation, authority, rules, people backing out of something and self-doubting themselves, her addiction, people talking to her about their problems, when things get boring, cleaning, people who think that she can’t do something, getting hurt, people putting their faith in her because she knows that she’s going to let them down, trust, open wounds, doctors, and did I mention cleaning?

XxWaterGaridanxX

Username:

XXWaterGuardianxX

Character Name:

Athena Rochella

Female

Position:

Resident Companion

Birth Planet/Moon:

Hera

Appearance:

Athena has light blonde hair, almost white, along with dark blue eyes. She stands at about 5'10" with olive skin and curves that could kill. The former companion knows how to use her body, and likes to stay fit because she doesn't always know what is around the corner..

She likes the oriental look, chop sticks in her hair and short kimonos with a low neck line, a leather corset tightly bound to her waist along with light flowing pants. Her brown boots and brown gloves to match. Also two metal bands around her upper arms.

Athena has scars on her hands, which is why she wares the gloves. She also has scripture in Chinese down the entire length of her right leg from her hip to her anckle.

Personality:

Athena is quiet and kind only when she wants to be and most times her smiles never reach her eyes. She doesn't have any friends she left them with her past, making it hard for her to make any because of the walls she puts up, this makes her slightly rude and sarcastic.

History:

Athena grew up on a farm, her mother and father very poor and very little but love to give her. But she was happy, sunny days in the dusty farm, everything had been perfect... Until the Revers crashed on the outskirts of their farm. Even though only two survived the crash it was enough for her father to get the shot gun out and tell her and her mother to run. She can still hear the gunshots going off and her mother being ripped from her arms... But in the end she was able to get away, an orphan but alive.

Having no place to go she got a ride onto a small ship owned by a grandfather like figure, he was kind to her but stern, he taught her the ropes of ships. She learned how to pilot, the engine, how to cook, even how to use a gun properly. But when he passed suddenly she didn't know what to do with herself.

She wondered the streets of the wealthy planets, finding work here and there, when a Companion found her and offered to teach her in the ways of a Companion. She accepted, feeling as if she had no other choice, and started to study. She aimed to be the best companion that there was, immersing herself into the study.

When she graduated she had few partners but very wealthy. She lived in the sparkle and glitz life and she liked it, the small farm girl miles away. But faithful night after one of the various balls she blacked out and woke up with crimson blood on her hands along with a blade in her hand. She had been framed, or at least she thought she had...

Athena ran. She ran from that life, knowing that she could never go back again when everyone of her companion sisters thought she was a killer and everyone else thought she was a murder. She never looked back.

Weapons:

The former companion always has the long forearm length blade in her boot that she found in her bloody hand that fateful night along with other small daggers here and there.

Strengths:

- Being a companion

- Thinking and strategizing

- Deception

Weaknesses:

- Love and thinking of them first

- Giving her secrets away too easily

- Small Spaces

- Reavers

- Silk

- Sword Fighting

- Being a girl

- Adventure

Dislikes:

- Arrogance

- Narrow minded people

- Being insulted

- Spiders

Motto:

"And what would you suggest we do? My idea is better and you know it."

Theme Song:

Help I'm Alive by Metric

Other:

N/A

Ship Space

Crew Quarters [Total: 4]

• Lyra Benjamin
  • Ezra Mir
  • Lawrence E. Ackerman (A.K.A. Ravioli)
  • Malcom Bution
Guest/Overflow Quarters [Total: 4]
  • Ronon Dex
  • Jay
  • Alias: Luna Smith; Real Name: Luna Jones
  • Moran "Tas" Nightingale
Shuttles [Total: 2]
  • Suren Waite
  • Athena Rochella
Other [Total: 1]
  • Alias: Li Xiao; Real Name: Ming Xiao - Owns private shuttle; parks in cargo bay
NO MORE CHARACTERS! This doesn't count diaveborn's or Khallayne's character, whose living arrangements are already figured out. Edited by Mousia

(Sure. I'll start it up.)

Ships were harder to fly than they seemed. All the buttons and levers and do-dads. It was so confusing. What did that red button do again? Ah! She needed a pilot sometime. And sometime soon!

The rugged woman had just picked up a passenger from the planet their last job had been at. Ha! He didn't know what he was in for! The ride of his life, she was sure. Just not in a good way. All the jerking and getting turned around sure lost them a peck o' cash. But she didn't trust any of her other crew to fly 'er. The ship...was home to the lot of 'em. And if she crashed, Lyra wanted to know what happened. And if any unqualified person was to fly 'er, it was gonna be Lyra, the stubborn captain.

But she didn't need to be at the helm all the time, thankfully. She could sleep and eat and park the boat when her eyes needed a break. The brown-haired woman really wasn't accustomed to flying. It was taxing, for sure. Especially because she lived in constant fear for her ship, her crew, and her cargo. She had paying people on the ship. It'd be bad for her rep to kill them all.

Anyway, Lyra had the ship kinda parked (she couldn't made heads or tails of the ship's controls, so she couldn't be sure) and was walking about the ship, yelling with her rough, country voice. "Oy! I thought I hired a crew so I'd not have to do everythin' m'self! C'mere!" Looking around suspiciously, she entered the dining room where a huge, crude cowbell hung. Picking up an old back scratcher whose owner had probably already left the ship for good, she started banging on the bell as a way of calling all the people aboard to her. "HEY!" She really had no patience at all with slacker, though some would later call that a part of her charm.

"Time for grub! You'd best c'mere 'fore it gets cold!" It was some bean concoction that was thick and brown and had about the texture of pig slop, though it didn't taste bad, really. And some rice. That was pretty much the same thing they had every day, lunch and dinner. For breakfast, it was every man - or woman - for himself. Find it first, cook it first, eat it first. That was the way Lyra herself had grown up and she wasn't about to go soft 'cause o' some picky crewmembers. They had to eat and they had to be strong. Plus, it was important that they manage their expenses. The way she saw it, it was good food or good air. The choice seemed obvious.

Ronon

Ronon looked up from his workbench as he heard the cowbell ringing through the corridors. He shook his head as hi placed down his energy magnum which he was tweaking up. Sadly, he'd have to finish it up another time, as the food would not wait.

Walking to the galley, he saw the captain standing next to that damn bell with a cowbell in hand.

"Captain." He said, nodding his head in greeting as he grabbed a plate and tray.

Ronon began to pile food onto his plate in great heaps. It's not that he really liked the stuff, but it's what they had and he always made due with what they had.

Ezra turned his head slightly as he heard the distinct sound of the cowbell ringing. To many members currently on this ship, that was the sound for food. To Ezra... it was just an early warning system to avoid entering the dining hall.

Despite his position on the ship, Ezra trusted each and every member just as much as a man sentenced to death would trust his executioner... that included the captain. His hardships while growing up has made it difficult for him to be around others.. much less trust them, thus socializing with others was not on top of his list of things to do.

He was on this ship for one reason only... and that was to earn money. Any bonds or relationships with the crew was just going to be a nuisance.

Standing up, he walked over to his Wooden Training Dummy and began a series of maneuvers. He would get his portion of the grub once the dining room was empty.

Besides... one had to work up an appetite to stomach the food served here... tongue.gif

Edited by TotallyDrow

Lyra looked over at Ronon as he grabbed a bunch of slop and acknowledged her. "Ronon." Coincidentally, they had both been born on Haven, a dry, desert-like moon with an old west feel. It was pretty close to Shadow, which was an agricultural planet that yielded most of the food they ate on Haven. But that planet had long since been blown to bits, dying, along with many of its inhabitants.

Setting down the old back scratcher and cow bell, she grabbed a plate and piled on some food for herself. It wasn't pretty, but they had enough nutrients to survive and that was well and good in Lyra's book.

Quickly shoving the bean mixture down her throat, the woman washed off her plate and silverware and jogged down and around the ship. "Food's ready! Come and get some 'fore it gets cold!" she shouted. It wasn't anywhere near her top volume, but her voice echoed still.

When she went near the engine room, Lyra sighed deeply. That thing was her baby's ticker. It kept 'er alive and kept the crew alive. Without even the most trivial part, the entire operation would fail. Secretly, the tough-looking woman was glad that she had Ravioli to keep Opportunity running like she should.

And though the woman was outwardly tough and cold, she really did love and care about all of her crew. Some of them were aware of her soft spot, others weren't. And some she treated with more compassion than others. "Hey. Ravioli. If you're in there, we've got food done. And there's a box of pasta in the back of the cupboard if you want it. 'Kay?" She didn't stick around to wait for a response. Wasn't worth it. Besides, being reminded of her weaknesses stung like a burn.

Jogging back around to the dining room, Lyra rolled her neck around and grabbed a jug of something similar to mudder's milk, a beer-like alcoholic concoction to keep workers healthy enough to work, but tired enough to stay through the night. It had a strong taste that one would have to get accustomed to, but it was just a way for her to pass the time. Flying the ship didn't sound appealing to her at that point. Sure, there was auto-pilot, but she didn't know which button to press...

Edited by Mousia

Jay had found himself a spot in the cargo hold, on an old couch that looked soft enough. He paid for the trip, not much else, so he scrounged around for something to sleep under when the ship took off. Surprised and swearing, he almost fell over and had to hold onto something. What kind of idiot is flying this boat? he thought, annoyed, and he waited until the ride would smooth out. It didn't.

When, finally, the hum of the engines quieted down to parking level, he continued his search, still muttering under his breath, glad the cargo had been thoroughly fastened to the bulkheads. Well, that's what you get when you bargain for the cheapest ride available. Still, it was on a Firefly class vessel, and he had a soft spot for this kind of ship. He took a swig of his hip flask to drown out the 'other' memories.

Somewhere in the ship, someone banged on a cowbell, by the sound of it. The universal signal for food. Or so he hoped as he made his way to the galley. He found it without much trouble and he greeted the captain as she was entering the galley as well.

He nodded a greeting to the other crewmembers in the galley and without much ceremony, he plated up the grub. At least I'll eat well for a change. Even though it was 'just' beans and flavour with rice, Jay had had far worse to eat in his life, so he wolfed it down with gusto, hoping there would be enough left for second helpings.

Edited by Biologist

Taking another swig of her drink, Lyra rubbed her temples. "God, I have to find a pilot for this thing... Can't take much more of this flying crap..." she mumbled to herself, not much caring that the passenger would be able to hear her. Setting her cup down the woman started towards the cabin. Suddenly stopping her her tracks, the woman turned around and opened her mouth to speak, but just chuckled and shook her head. "Nah. Nothing works out like that," she mumbled and started again, making her way to the cabin.

Sitting down in the pilot's seat, she regretfully looked out over all the controls and sighed. She looked at the screen on the dash and rapidly sent out a wave to all the pilots she knew of.

Hello all!

Got me in a bind and I ain't got no pilot. If you're looking for a job, you can find one aboard my ship. Reply back with where we should meet you.

Thanks

Lyra hoped that would be good enough. Little did she know that a good pilot was right there on her ship, waiting for a job. Some way to get money. A place to stay. Food to eat.

Setting her hands down on the main controls, she cringed as the ship lunged forward, likely jarring the people aboard. She really needed a pilot...

Brown hair fell over Xiao's shoulders and forward past her face as she hunched over the paper she writing on. An open (and half-empty) bottle of pills lay on the desk near the paper, its contents spread out over the plain metal surface. Deeply engrossed with her 'work' - copying a seemingly meaningless string of names and dates - the Caucasian-Asian woman ignored both the jarring of the ship and the 'dinner bell'. The bustle of dinnertime made her feek uncomfortable and she usually ate half an hour later, when most people had already left. Most days there was still enough grub or rice left and if not - she wasn't a big eater anyway.

Ezra placed a hand on top of the training dummy to steady himself as he felt the sudden motion of the ship jarring. Nothing out of the usual... such things happened on a more than regular basis... at least on this ship.

Confident that the ship... for now... was steady again, he removed his hand and continued with his work out, silently thanking the heavens that he was not in the middle of a meal when that jarring occurred.

Jay had heard the captain mutter and was surprised. No pilot? Then who's been flying this ship? as the boat lurched into its shuddering gear again, sending plates and cuttlery flying, he cursed and quickly made his way to the front, ignoring the crew. Someone was mistreating this old lady, and he was going to find out who.

When he entered the cockpit, he saw the captain behind the screens, he also noticed several things that were dangerously wrong. "What the hell are you doing?" He said angrily, not waiting for a response, he quickly started to push buttons and flip switches. "Are you trying to get us all killed?" He unplugged quite a few cables to replug them one or two holes to the left or right. When he had done the most urgent rearrangements he turned to the captain, pointing at a few buttons, cables and switches. "Never ever route the shielding of the engines through thirtiary power. If it fails we'll burn from radiation." He looked over at the controls. "And why are the side burners still on? You're throwing away money with those." He pushed another six buttons and the ship suddenly stopped shaking and settled into a smooth run at twice the speed.

He suddenly realized he was berating the owner of the ship and not so subtly too. In a more friendly tone he said: "Looks like you need a pilot. Badly. I can fly this old lady until you find one.. captain." The last word was uttered with respect.. and somewhat of an apology.

Edited by Biologist

Lawrence's ears pricked from the prospect of food. What was today's meal? Was it beans and rice? Or was it rice and beans?

"I hope we've got pasta on the ship," he muttered to the engine. "I don't think I can stand eating the same meal everyday. That'll suck." Lawrence gazed at the engine, which he'd fondly named "Penne," after the type of pasta he had in a restaurant in Beaumonde. Boy, what he'd give to have a dish of pasta with marinara sauce.

All of a sudden, Opportunity gave a sudden jerk, sending Lawrence onto the ground. He brushed imaginary dust off of his mechanics' uniform, and stood up.

"For the love of machines, couldn't Captain find a proper pilot? I mean seriously, it's not going to kill her or anything." As he gave a nod to "Penne," Lawrence exited the engine room once he determined the ship to be stable.

'Food...'

Lyra opened her mouth to utter a sharp retort at the sudden interruption, but Jay just kept on speaking. His mouth seemed to be moving at the speed of light and she couldn't understand a single word from his lips. Once he was done, the woman stood up, chuckling. Soon, her slight giggle of amusement evolved into a bubbling laughing fit. The captain didn't laugh often and didn't usually laugh so completely, but her true laugh was loud and would probably be heard throughout at least part of the ship. Sounds carried well in them Firefly-class ships.

When the woman was done laughing, she wiped the tears from the corners of her eyes and composed herself. "You've got yourself a job." She patted the wall lightly and smiled fully, talking to the ship. "Looks like you don't have to deal with me so much anymore, ol' girl." Turning back to Jay with a more serious expression, she spoke without a smile gracing her lips or a happy inflection. "Next time you consider talkin' t' me like that, though," she paused for effect, staring him down all the time. "You'd best be packin' yer things."

Turning to leave, the woman pushed a button for the door to open. "Expect payment when we're planet side. Get us to Lilac within the next day. Might take you a bit to find yerself in the black, but we're not gonna be late."

The job was simple. Get a few crates of iron ore from the client, bring it to Persephone. Leave. But it never did turn out so well...

Malcom hummed a song as he began to twirl his pistol around, the name of the song had long since be forgotten, but it was something he heard back in his smuggling days. The pistol was of course unloaded, no sense killing himself or someone else with his flashy moves. In his left hand was a clipboard, with a check-list attached to it. He liked to do this check-list about once every two weeks, it helped him identified problems with the ship. If there was a problem, he could only hope that he can get the necessary parts the next time they docked. Of course, Lawrence would have an easier time fixing things up than him.

It was around his inspection of the infirmary when the captain began to shout that the food was ready. Malcom could hardly wait to see what he was gonna be eating for today. Making his way to the mess hall, he placed his sidearm in its holster before he grabbed a plate and looked at what the pot contained.

"Oh boy, bean paste and rice! My favourite." Malcom said with some sarcasm as he grabbed a big heaping of both. He than sat down and began to chow down. As a smuggler, he had enough money to eat real food once in a while. But he bashed the bean paste more than it deserved. As much as he hate to admit it, he had to eat it something like this during his early day.

After about eating half the food on his plate, Malcom turned his attention to the check-list nearby. A few things were left unchecked, which meant a safety hazard. He only hoped that one of his contact could do him a favour.

Lyra made her way back through the mess hall, seeing Malcom at the table. "Oy. Ya done with yer checklist yet?" Being behind him, she looked over his shoulder and saw a few boxed left unchecked. "What? We gotta get new parts again? Opportunity...I love 'er, but she's always throwin' a temper tantrum over somethin'." Sighing deeply, the woman ran her fingers through her hair and changed the subject. "So the guy we picked up recently is gonna pilot for a while. Get used to a steady ship."

Starting away, the woman prodded her First Mate's shoulder as a way to get his attention. "Don't worry about them boxes too much. Eat, drink, relax. We're gonna get to work early t'morrow most likely, so you'd better be in good condition."

Jogging away, she set her course for the cargo bay. When she arrived, the woman sat on the walkway that looked out over the bay and had a staircase on either side. Looking out over the area, she couldn't help but to stare at the shuttle that took up a great deal of space in their bay. What could that strange lady be doing in there? What was taking so long? Did she even hear the bell?

Xiao looked up from her papers when the ship's ride smoothed out. She'd only been on board for a few days, having booked passage for her and her small shuttlecraft, and *all* of them had been bumpy. She waiting a moment to see if maybe the engines had stalled entirely, but she could still feel their (now silent) hum. Maybe the pilot had finally gotten the hang of it or was replaced? Either way it was none of her concern, though it *was* a very pleasant and welcome development. Looking down again, she continued her writing.

Malcom turned his head slightly to the right once he heard the voice of his captain, Lyra Benjamin. She seemed to be looking at the check-list he finished, and sounded a bit upset that Opportunty needed some repairs. The conversation was quickly changed to the new guy they picked up. He was now going to pilot the ship, so now he won't feel like a staggering drunk, even if its for awhile. Feeling his shoulder getting poked, he turned to his captain. She told him that they had a job lined up, and that she wanted him to relax for tomorrow.

"Yes Captain." Malcom said just before Lyra jogged off. Finishing the rest of his 'food', he placed the plate and clipboard to the side before plopping his feet up. He let out a yawn as he adjusted his seat.

By the time Lawrence reached the mess hall, he was relieved that there was still food left for him. He noticed that the Captain was engaging into a conversation with her First Mate, and casually waved to her.

'Ugh, beans over rice,' Lawrence thought as he scooped a small portion for himself. 'Just what I needed. Isn't there any fruit on board? We'd all get sick if the food isn't nutritious.' He then made his way to the table, and sat down in silence. The captain was gone now; she went jogging off to who knows where. Mr. First Mate was still there, so Lawrence decided to sit across from him. Then, it wouldn't be too awkward in the mess hall.

'Aren't there other people?' he wondered, scratching his neck. 'It's so...empty in here.'

Jay stood dumbfounded for a moment. He couldn't believe his ears I'm gonna get paid? maybe there would be a crew bunk for him as well. Things were looking up.

Then he turned to the ship and the uncountable systems of the bridge and smiled. "It's very nice to make your acquaintance, old lady." He said to the ship, while patting the bulkhead. He sat down on the pilot chair and started to check the systems. He quickly realized that to get her tuned up properly would take days. He took to the monitors and called up system statuses to make sure they were flying efficiently. The less costs, the more there was left to share. His smile broadened. He hadn't smiled in a long time. He was actually enjoying himself.

Humming a browncoat tune, he set to work, plotting a fast course to Lilac and adjusting ship settings to his liking.

Rubbing her eyes, the woman sighed and rolled her head around a few times. The ship's temperature was a comfortable 65 degrees Fahrenheit (18 degrees Celsius), though it was much hotter in the engine room and a little colder in the infirmary.

Adjusting her chestnut brown leather jacket, the woman stood and wiped imaginary dust off her khakis. She wore a dark colored button-up shirt underneath an ivory knitted scarf. Not good attire for a desert girl, but the ship was a little cold. Plus, there was no reason not to wear a good scarf. They made good bandaged and blood-stoppers in emergency situations and such.

Shaking her head, the woman made her way back to her bunk, sliding down the ladder and shutting the hatch. Once there, she faced the giant map of the 'verse she had hanging on the wall. Hands on her hips, the woman sighed passively, eyes locked on the planet Lilac. What a stupid name for a planet. But it was so, and she'd not change it. After all, she was just a country nobody...

((OOC: Sorry I haven't been responding today. I was at Comicon (Saw some really cool firefly stuff btw (Also began watching firefly last night)).))

Ronon

Ronon continued to silently eat his food as people made their way into the mess hall, only stopping to keep his tray from sliding off the table. Ronon turned to look at Lawrence as he spoke.

"Would you rather it be cramped with people?" He joked.

Lawrence covered his face with the blue tartan scarf in order to stifle the laughter that bubbled up his throat. A man, who he suspected to be the weapons specialist, had turned to face him, and ended up cracking a joke. It wasn't a particularly funny joke, but it was amusing to imagine the mess hall cramped with people, especially if the living space was rather small.

"Aha, no," he replied, uncovering the scarf from his face. "You're Ronon, correct? What do you think of the food?"