Mousia

Firefly: Opportunity

Ronon

"You know, I'm not sure about that myself." Ronon replied, scratching the back of his head. "I'll be glad when we touch down though. I just want to get to doing a job."

Since she seemed alright now, Ronon began to head off again, but stopped at the end of the hallway.

"Look, when you do become less distracted, just let me know." Ronon said. "It'll be good to be actually doing something other than sitting around doing nothing on this ship."

Edited by Narath

Tas looked at the woman as she left, settling more comfortably over the back of her chair as she waved in farewell. Apparently what they had to say was far too private for her to be sitting in and listening. Well, it wasn’t like she wanted to hear about it anyway. They could have their privacy and secret conversations. She had her bowl of food. It would keep her more than enough company. It was quiet, non-judgmental, and wouldn’t walk out on her unless she wanted it to. Yup, by all accounts it was absolutely perfect for what she wanted. Besides, even Jay was following the girl out and that left her alone.

“Jack of all trades, that’s me,” Tas muttered to herself in response to the woman’s comment. Whether serious or joking, Tas couldn’t tell and she wasn’t particularly driven to attempt to decipher the comment. Having finished her bowl of food, Tas eyed the food that the woman had left behind and then decided that she wasn’t that desperate. Slowly she dragged herself out of her chair and set it straight as she went to clean her dishes, and by force of habit she started cleaning the others. She could do with a lot less dishes and cleaning, honestly… But it wasn’t like she had a real job.

Though she’d have to ask Lyra if they could get a hold of some matches… She had this experiment that she wanted to try with flour (not in the ship) to make an effective flame bomb and smoke bomb. Who knew, it may someday come in handy! But for now, she had dishes.

"Persephone, eh? Not a bad place, I guess" That would mean she wasn't leaving anytime soon, at least not until they had delivered their cargo. Jay seemed satisfied. "No plans after that? So why Persephone then?" He realised he was intruding. "Never mind. None of my business. I'll best head back to the bridge." He said somewhat awkwardly. "I'll see you around. It was nice meeting you, Li Xiao."

Xiao nodded to Jay, making no offer to answer the question that he had withdrawn, and started to make her way to the cargo bay. She passed a tall, black-haired man and the same green-haired girl she'd spoken to earlier. She stopped for a moment to study the scene and then nodded a greeting that encompassed both of them. After that she continued on her way ((assuming neither Ronon nor Luna seeks interaction or is headed in the same direction)).

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Jay returned to the cockpit - No, not the cockpit, the bridge - passing the Galley for a can of strong black coffee and nodding a greeting to Tas. He sat down in the pilot's seat and continued with finetuning the Opportunity. The course was laid in, they would be on Lilac ahead of time if everything went smoothly. In his experience though, things never did go smoothly.

He kept busy fiddling with dials and buttons, levers and sysops screens, running diagnostics checks, just to keep his mind occupied. Every now and again he took a swig from the steaming black liquid in his mug, but after a few sips, he took his hipflask and poured some into his can. He smiled to himself when he tasted the improved coffee.

He checked the sensors to make sure nothing was coming for them out of force of habit, and he saw a few waves for the captain come in through the cortex. He looked around for the intercom system and tried to get the speaker for the captain's quarters. When he found the right setting - at least he hoped so - he pressed the button. "Capt'n, there are some waves coming in for you. Dunno if they're important, but I though you'd like to know. Jay out."

Ah, was the Captain homesick? Malcom had experienced that emotion one too many times, but back then he always had the freedom to visit his family. He would often poke fun at his younger brother's bashful nature regarding his fiancée. He even brought back a trinket or two for his nieces. But than he saw the Captain looking up at the cieling, almost ready to cry. Placing a hand lightly on her shoulder, he merely said "I never thought you were one Captain." He just stood there, giving her a warm smile. However the room was soon filled with Jay's voice, telling the Captain she had some Waves on hold. Removing his hand, he merely stepped back.

"I guess you'd want some privacy now. Call me if you need anything else." Malcom said, still a smile on his face before he turned around and walked away. Quickly making his way down to his own room, he went in and just flopped on the bed.

"Yeah, I probably will." Luna replied to Ronon, glad he was leaving her alone. She could finally relax, well, run to her room, scan for bugs, and then attempt to scream into her pillow. However, she wanted to stay out where she could see people. She wasn't sure why, but maybe if she collected more information on people she would feel safer. She'd start with Xiao. Luna had heard that the other woman kept a shuttle in the cargo bay, so maybe that would be a good place to start. Luna quickly moved down to her room, grabbed the cobbled together microphones, and stuffed them into her pockets. She the. Moved to the cargo bay, trying not to be obvious about her deception. She could always lie and say she was checking on something in the cargo bay. She'd sprinkle in some nonsensical jargon about technology and she'd be fine. Maybe.

((RainDash, I'm currently waiting for Narath to reply and let us know if Ronon stops to talk to Xiao (which would be good for Luna since that gives her a headstart) or continues on his way (which would be bad for Luna 'cause then they're essentially walking side-by-side to the cargo bay). Are you okay with waiting another day or so to resolve that situation? Maybe Narath will find time to reply in the weekend.))

((OOC: Sorry, I've been busy with life and the many RP's that I am in. I am loosing track of which I have replied to or not.))

Ronon

As Ronon began to walk through the halls of the ship, he found himself walking next to the ship's newest passenger, who passed him as he was talking with Luna.

"Hey." He greeted. "The name's Ronon."

((OOC: Not a problem smile.gif.))

Xiao inclined her head to Ronon. "My name is Li Xiao." She recognized the weapons' master from the one time she'd seen him in the distance; even without her perfect memory, he stood out in a crowd. Xiao herself carried no weapons - she abhorred violence and hadn't carried a sidearm since.... well, since a *long* time. But she understood why others might feel the need to go around armed.

((OOC: Sorry if it takes me a while to reply. It's taking me a while to write for Ronon since the character I based him off of isn't the most talkative person.))

Ronon

"That's an interesting name." Ronon said, continuing to walk along with the woman. "You travel often?"

At this point Ronon was just speaking to prevent an awkward silence. He was never much of a talker though.

Like Ronon, Xiao wasn't much of a talker. Unlike him though, she was not uncomfortable with silences. She pondered his question while they walked, remaining quiet while she did. She travelled continuously, although 'fleeing' might be a more appropriate word. Still, she supposed she could answer him honestly then.

"Yes, I travel a lot. My shuttle is capable of sustained flight, but it's a slower and requires more fuel stops, so I prefer booking passage for longer journeys. And you? Have you served aboard the Opportunity long?"

((Since they're talking while they walk - something Xiao definitely appreciates for its efficiency - I'm going to assume they're still heading in the direction of the cargo bay. I take it Ronon is merely headed in the same direction by happenstance and is not specifically accompanying her?))

((OOC: If I remember correctly, there were a set of weights that the crew used on Serenity right? If that is what they have here too, I'm thinking he'll use those once they get there.))

Ronon

"Nah. I've haven't been here too long." Ronon answered as they walked down some stairs. "A little while ago, I was looking for a job as a weapons master pretty much anywhere, and then along came the captain who gave me a job.

I'm happy with it too. Get's me enough money to buy almost anything that I might need to build for the crew."

(Feel free to have weights be on the ship. It'd count as a personal possession, and most captains allow personal possessions on their ships.)

Luna heard them coming and picked up her pace. Maybe they would stop? After about five steps forward it appeared that they were just going to walk and talk. Luna didn;t particularly want to turn around either, since she was pretty close now. The corridor was twisty, and she had stairs to go yet. However, she also knew Ronon was with Xiao. If the whole episode where she freaked out on him slipped, then perhaps Xiao would investigate. If Xiao investigated then Luna would lie. Luna was a terrible liar. If she could just make it a little farther, then maybe she could slip into the cockpit for a moment and leave. If Lilac wasn't such a crap hole she'd just bail on that planet. But it was, and it was on Reaver territory so that was the last place she wanted to be. Her and everyone else who didn't like Reavers. So, everyone.

"You build your own weapons?" Xiao inquired. She briefly considered asking him to build her a stun gun, but quickly dismissed the thought - she was resolved to commit no more violence, be it lethal or 'merely' incapacitating.

((A mini-gym in the cargo bay sounds like a good idea! Also, apologies for the short post - like Ronon, Xiao doesn't talk much and since Narath and RainDash already described the route to the cargo bay I didn't just want to repeat that.))

Ronon

"Yep." Ronon replied. "I can build pretty much anything from tazers to a plasma cannon."

That is, if he had the correct parts. He probably could make a plasma cannon with what he had right now, except for the fact that it would not have anything to house the working parts.

Xiao nodded in acknowledgement of Ronon's skills. Having exhausted her questions about his profession and not wanting to assume familiarity by inquiring after hobbies or personal life, she continued on in silence. Xiao was accustomed to silence, spending the majority of her time alone, and didn't stop to notice if it made Ronon uncomfortable. She navigated the hallways of the ship without hesitation, turning left or right without needing to get her bearing - the Opportunity wasn't the first Firefly vessel she'd travelled with.

((RainDash, does Luna want to sneak in to the cargo bay ahead of them, or does she take a different turn somewhere?))

Ezra made his way into the mess hall, figuring that by now most... if not all of its earlier inhabitants had already finished their meal. As he got closer to his destination, he heard the sound of water rushing and the frequent clatter of plate and cutlery as they were placed down to dry. An obvious indication that one of the ships current passengers was still inside.

Without so much as a subtle change in his demeanor, Ezra entered the room. Ultimately it did not matter how many people were inside, as it would not change the fact that any discussion between him and another party would be minimal if not non existent. The only difference between having 1 or 10 others in the room was the number of people he would be... to put it bluntly... ignoring.

He walked up behind the girl currently at the sink and picked up a plate... still dripping ever so slightly from its recent wash, before turning and walking over to where the remains of todays food was.

Only the faint sound of his exhaling escaped his mouth as he headed off towards a corner of the room, plate in hand.

Moving even faster now that silence dominated where talk had previously been, Luna barreled down to the cargo bay, panic overriding her previous plan to hide in the cockpit. Once she climbed up to the cargo bay, she saw the ship. She could either run out of the cargo bay, or she could hack her way inside the shuttle. She but her lip, and started to try and open the electronic lock, hoping that Xiao would take a different turn or maybe she would be stopped by the captain or someone as she walked down to the shuttle. She was biting her lip so hard she tasted blood, so she quickly switched to the inside of her cheek, trying to hide any nervousness if possible.

[sorry, been busy... sad.gif ]

While Xiao was an efficient person - and she had the impression that her companion was too - she had slowed to a more leisurely pace as she walked with Ronon; not because she couldn't walk and talk at the same time, but because courtesy dictated she do. As such, they had fallen some five to ten minutes behind on Luna, though of course neither Xiao nor Ronon was aware of the engineer hurrying down the corridors ahead of them.

Having spent her conversational ammo, Xiao remained silent as they traversed the last corridors. She didn't mind the silence though - as a matter of fact, she rather enjoyed the quiet companionship.

She could break this lock in four minutes. Luna shouldn't even be considering the idea, but she wanted to know. What was the other woman hiding? Was it that she was a murderer? Considering how much Xiao spaced out, maybe it had to do with something important. Not to mention, this lock looked expensive. Luna didn't even hesitate to start cracking it, her hands moving quickly and only occasionally did she look over her shoulder to make sure Xaio wasn't walking through the doorway.

Ronon

As they arrived at the catwalk that led to both the two separate shuttle bays, and the cargo bay, Ronon paused before heading down the stairs.

"Hey, you interested in a little weightlifting?" He asked. "I have a setup down in the cargo bay. I'll spot you if you want."

Xiao let out a surprised, but genuine, chuckle - she had been taken for many things in her life, but a weightlifter was not one of them.

"I'm afraid that's not my forté," she admitted, "but if you desire conversation, I'd be happy to accompany you."

The truth was that between the blast-from-the-past that was Jay and the unexpected joy of laughing just now, she was uncharacteristically reluctant to return to the solitude of her shuttle.

It was a small living space filled with papers with tiny handwriting. Luna didn't know what to expect from Xiao, but it wasn't this. Thinking quickly, Luna snagged a paper for later. Maybe if she looked at these people, then the mystery of the dates would become clear. She strongly suspected that these were birth and death dates, but that seemed too strange to be true. Moving the paper to her pocket revealed an expensive pen, a fountain pen to be exact. As Luna scanned the desk more, she noticed a teapot and a tea cup, a quick sniff revealed a popular Core World blend. Her father liked this blend, and if she remembered right, it was very expensive. Why was Xiao here if she was rich enough to buy this blend regularly out in the outer edge of the 'verse. If she bought it there. Then she noticed the pill bottle, half empty. It lacked a patient's name, but she recognized the name of the pills. Why was she combating insomnia and depression? Hmm.

She heard Ronon outside. Probably out on the catwalk, since he hadn't walked that fast before entering, and had no reason to walk faster. However, she was now stuck inside until they either passed on, or she found a spot to hide in Xiao's shuttle until they left for elsewhere. Hopefully Xiao wouldn't notice the cruddy job she had done of masking her trail. Then again, with the computer laying out in plain view, perhaps Xiao knew how to operate computers in a competent way. Luna herself knew how to work them, but she worked more with gears and cogs so she wouldn't know as much as someone who actually used computers their whole life. She could use the Cortex, to some degree. Being locked in a room most of her life didn't do much for her Cortex skills.