Mousia

Firefly: Opportunity

Xiao watched in amusement as Jay walked out the door with the beautiful Athena on his arm. Looks like it was a good day to be a pilot.

((Anyone but the three of us still active? Mousia?))

The companion gratefully took Jays arm and held tight, she didn't fancy falling again. Her head felt light so she tried to focus on something, anything would do. She watched Jay out of the corner of her eye, he reminded her of home. Warn clothing, dust everywhere, hardened features, and unkept blonde hair. He had a charm about him that she rarely saw in people she associated with. He was real.

Realizing that he spoke Athena drifted from her thoughts and smiled softly, "Well I don't know yet." She told him, "You can surprise me Jay." She gave his arm a pat and couldn't help but laugh at herself, maybe the lack of blood was getting to her, since she knew she shouldn't have said that. It might give him the wrong idea about her. "But it's nice being in the black nothing out there for miles on end, as a pilot I'm sure you've become accustomed to space."

Edited by XxWaterGaridanxX

"Well I don't know yet." She told him, "You can surprise me Jay." She gave his arm a pat.

Jay smiled. Did she just say what I think she said? He shook his head. Careful, Jay, you know misunderstandings are easily made. Don't assume. He involuntarily scratched his chin where a short scar was visible, a memento of his latest 'misunderstanding a lady'. Just ignore it and keep your mouth shut about it this time.

"Well, first planet is Persephone where we deliver the cargo anyway. The course is already laid in. We should be arivin' in a coupl'of hours."

"But it's nice being in the black nothing out there for miles on end, as a pilot I'm sure you've become accustomed to space."

He gave a short laugh. "Well, to tell the truth, I have been this ship's pilot for all of one trip, I just got hired. But I have spent my fair share out in the Black. It ain't always nice, but if y'can keep busy with your mind, it can be great."

He hoped he made a good impression, but he had a feeling Athena wasn't the one to judge a man by his accent or his clothes.

Athena nodded when he mentioned that they would be landing in a meager couple of hours onto Persephone. She thought a moment about the largely populated planet, there were wealthy people located on the planet, but there was also a lower society that dwelled there.

An unfamiliar emotion of fear filled her when the thought came across her mind of what might happen if she came across a fellow companion...

But she smiled and cleared he throat, enjoying Jays ramblings, "But so far you have enjoyed yourself on the ship? Nothing too crazy happened I hope." Sure, she was trying to scope out the feel of the other people on board, a little gossip never hurt anyone. She would rather know of things that go about rather than be left in the dark.

She looked up from focusing on the grated floor to see a shuttle door in front of them, she guessed that it was the shuttle since it was off too the far right of the ship, and her things were neatly stacked off to the side.

((I just checked: Mousia hasn't posted in the DC forums at all since March 3rd, nor has she responded to a PM I sent on April 14th. Without her, I'm not sure how viable this RP is, since she is the one running the main plot. Is there a way we can continue with the three of us? Perhaps if we create a spin-off? That would mean starting a new thread, which would then have to go through approval again. I'd be willing to do that, provided all three of us are committed.))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

((I absolutely adore Firefly. So I'd be willing if we had a plot and maybe a couple more people we could start a whole new thread. I'd be committed just as long as it didn't go too fast because at maximum I can reply like once a day.

And the only way I could see us continuing in here is if we landed and either your character got into a little bit of trouble and dragged our characters along into Persephone.))

((So I'd be willing if we had a plot and maybe a couple more people we could start a whole new thread. I'd be committed just as long as it didn't go too fast because at maximum I can reply like once a day.))

((The problem with that is that there's no guarantee how many people will sign up, nor how many of them will remain active. But if we three remain active (once a day is good), I think it could be worth a new thread. If there's only the three of us, I'd up the character limit to 2 though. And if anyone else wants to join, they are certainly free too.

We could also try your idea of a small adventure in this thread so we can remain here a bit longer and see if Mousia returns.

So which has our preference? Start a new Firefly RP, or see if we can keep things going here for a bit longer?))

((I think posting frequency of once a day is fine. I would like to continue as well. I think I'd prefer a new thread, since none of us is RP-leader and I thought that means we do not have permission to make major plot changes or introduce new plots. Right? If we started a new thread, we would have permission. And I think upping the character maximum to 2 per person sounds about right if we are with the three of us. But whether we will actually have another character depends on the development of the RP, I think... smile.gif )) Edited by Biologist

((That's true. Wouldn't want to mess up Mousia's RP plot.

And we could create characters when needed.

I think if we were to make a new thread we would have to make it a little more open... But I don't know how we'd do that with a Firefly RP. It'll be interesting if we have a larger kind of tourist crew, or maybe it a rally long space trip from one side to the next.

But for a while we could continue just in case.))

Jay looked at Athena. "Well, there are some characters on board. I'm sure every one of 'em have their secrets. But that's not fer me to tell. You'll find out soon enough." He tried not to sound too stand-offish, but he wasn't going to gossip about the crew he had only met on the previous stop.

When they reached the shuttle door, he gestured to it. "Here we are." He pressed a panel to the side of the metal door and it slid open with a hiss. Lights sprang to life, the white light illuminating the impersonally cold interior of the small shuttle. It was designed to accommodate four people, with such basic commodities as a pair of bunk beds, a galley and a wet cell, but it was far from a place to live. It needed some love and care to make it habitable.

Jay went inside and motioned for Athena to do the same. He showed a panel on the wall. "Are you familiar with this type o' shuttle?" He asked as he activated the panel, bringing up an extensive menu of options. "This here is yer best friend. With this you can control everythin' in this part o' the shuttle, from heating and life support to your favorite music." Then he moved so that Athena could get a look, while he moved to the cockpit. "You won't be using this part much, but it has the most comfortable seats in the entire shuttle. Just sayin'."

He then moved to the door. "Well, I'll leave you two to get acquainted. If there is anythin' you need, the comm is on the panel. I'll probably be in the cockpit." Then he heard what he had just said. "That is, if you be lookin' fer me."

Edited by Biologist

((OOC: I'm also here! *waves hi*

My character (Suren Waite) is listed in the accepted character section - I would have had to start a bit later than everyone else, and Mousia and I had decided it made the most sense for my character to join up with the rest of the characters when they got to Persephone (as it doesn't make sense for her to have been on Lilac, and we'd been going on the assumption that my character wouldn't have just been there all along while I wasn't able to post).

I've been checking in periodically to see if you'd gotten to Persephone yet. I read everything up to a bit after the captain got shot, and after that read only parts, so I'm not sure, with Mousia gone, who my character would be negotiating with for passage on the ship.

In addition to what's in my character sheet, Mousia had confirmed that it would make sense for my character to store her hydroponics equipment in a shuttle, and to use the shuttle for collecting botanical samples from places on planets a bit further than walking or mule distance. I think that's the only thing of note that isn't in the character sheet, but I'll let you all know if I remember something else.

I don't know if moving to a new thread would mean a big change in overarching plot or existing characters, but if it does, I'd love it if this thread could continue for a little bit as I'd love to try out my character as planned before such big changes. Possibly the introduction of my character and her profession could move things along a bit?

Also, some other brainstorm-type ideas -

If one of us PMed a(nother) mod to let them know the situation, perhaps we could get official permission to continue in this thread (although that wouldn't matter if a new thread meant a change only in URL). And then if we made an OOC thread, we could discuss potential plots continuations? Basically if I'm understanding correctly the plots would be fueled by a) jobs to take, B) planets to go to, and c) what jobs could be found on what planets - I'm not sure if that seems like something you all would want to discuss but I think it could be interesting.

Character-wise, if we did more than one character each as previously mentioned, maybe also it would be interesting if some of the other characters could be temporary ones from each planet we visit on our jobs? That way each time we go to a planet we have people to interact with more. Those characters might work best if developed enough that they and the characters from the ship could bounce off each other well, but not so time-intensive that they couldn't be abandoned, and new characters made, when we departed for a new planet.

Just some really sleepy ideas - they might not work at all, but I thought I'd throw them out there. :) ))

Edited by diaveborn

((I'm not in favor of a thread take-over for practical reasons. Even if the mods allowed it, we'd have no way of editing the character records, the log, etc. Yes, we could use a new post for that and store them somewhere else, but it would be needlessly messy. It would also leave us with an awol captain, since that's Mousia's character.

Edit to add: I didn't respond to your request of skipping ahead to Persephone since I'm not sure. I guess there's no harm in it, but it feels weird to do timeskips if we don't know what Mousia had planned as encounters from here to Persephone.))

((OOC: I hadn't been meaning to suggest skipping ahead - I thought you all were almost at the planet already, which might have come from not reading the last bits fully.

"no way of editing the character records, the log, etc" "an awol captain" Wow, yeah, I knew I was too tired! I didn't even think of those - they're really good points. I don't know enough about moving thread type processes - for being in another thread, does that necessarily mean another plot, or something like this plot, with the addition of someone being a new captain? ))

((Yay another player. smile.gif ))

Athena's eyes simply creased at the edges as she heard his simple response to her inquiry about the crew, most men would bend their back for her, but this one had honor. She was impressed to say the least.

The companion watched as Jay walked her through everything, it was east enough she had flown and managed larger ships than this before. "It's perfect Jay." She told him as she leaned on the back of the cockpit chair and looked the screen over, memories coming back to her on how to work the shuttle.

"I'll take good case of this little shuttle don't you worry." She smiled at Jay and watched him as he headed out with a small smile, "Thank you Jay. You are a kind man." Realizing she just complemented him she laughed slightly not used to people treating her like she was a human just like them.

And as he said his farewells she couldn't help but smile, sure maybe she would look for him on this small ship she would always know where to find him, she cleared her throat making the slightly awkward moment less tense, "Alrighty then. I shall see you Jay. I've got some spring cleaning to do in here." She said and nodded to him already starting to think of ways to transform the small shuttle into something hospitable.