SoulFang

Shingeki No Kyojin/Attack On Titan

I managed to find the last episode on animefreak, I just realized I needed to check under the Japanese name to find it. The windows are tiny there, but that's good for split screening while drawing. Just not for this show.

I'll probably Check out Anime Ultra though, because different sites are bound to have different shows.

@XiaoChibi: I really like the new opening song, though it's a bit upbeat. I'm hoping there will be some better times ahead and successes to go along with the song.

Also, there seems to be two "special episodes" after the 23rd. I thought they would be to give some background information on some characters but I don't know since I never got that far. It's in a different style with happy cutesy chibis and I couldn't watch it. I would normally watch these but I honestly felt it was somewhat degrading to the series to have this.

Edited by Wookieinmashoo

That is the funniest thing I think I have ever seen. Whoever made that is amazing and deserves a medal.

I watch all my anime on Watchanimeon, usually.

Attack on... dust!

Also I love levi.

That just made my day.

I just finished watching episode 24.

/spoiler (I think?)

Augh, Female Titan versus Titan!Eren in the next episode? I can't wait.

/end spoiler

Hm I kind of feel like the last two episodes have been a bit slow.

Does this anime make anyone else want to be a vegetarian? I imagine animals must feel the same sort of horror being preyed upon by us.

Edited by Syaoransbear

i still don't get how (spoiler)eren can turn into a titan????(end spoiler)

Spoiler: It has been strongly implied that the serum his father injected him with is the reason why he can turn into a titan.

Edited by Syaoransbear

i still don't get how (spoiler)eren can turn into a titan????(end spoiler)

Also, Spoiler this occurs when Eren bites his hand (to cause physical harm), and has a strong desire to do something (ie. protecting his friends from the cannon). This page on the Wiki might help.

End spoiler.

Does this anime make anyone else want to be a vegetarian? I imagine animals must feel the same sort of horror being preyed upon by us.

Hm...not really, but imagining us humans to be Titans sounds kinda legit. I mean, the humans in SnK are like animals in a slaughterhouse. The only difference would probably be that Spoiler: humans usually don't regurgitate the meat that they eat.

Edited by XiaoChibi

Finally getting a chance to sit down and get caught up with this. I'm really enjoying it. Almost done with Episode 23 at the moment. Hanji and Sasha are amazing.

^ Aha, I like Sasha. For some strange reason, she always makes me think of Korra from The Legend of Korra.

Just because the anime is so dark, Sasha's comic relief occasionally comes off as creepy to me because I'm not expecting humor. Like when she ate the bread from Christa I thought she was turning into a titan, and it wasn't until Ymir came along that I realized the anime was trying to be funny.

Also I know this will never happen but I wish they would make titan sized swords for Eren, he would be soooo lethal.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Just because the anime is so dark, Sasha's comic relief occasionally comes off as creepy to me because I'm not expecting humor. Like when she ate the bread from Christa I thought she was turning into a titan, and it wasn't until Ymir came along that I realized the anime was trying to be funny.

Yeah, I agree. At first, I thought she was turning into some monstrous creature or something, but nope. She was going for the bread. rolleyes.gif

And the potato part towards the start. It sort of reminded me of this one asdf episode about potatoes.

Just saw the latest episode. I actually thought they were going to leave out the super important part about the titans inside the walls. I do like how they made that part very suspenseful seeing as how this was the last episode of the season, but since it was at the very very end after the credits I hope no one missed it.

Also, the miner story before and after the commercial break is interesting.

Edited by Syaoransbear

I really hope the rumor Pixis was talking about, the one about how there was so much fighting in the world that a common enemy(the titans) had to be created to bring everyone together, is wrong. If the titan's existence ends up originating from something lame like god releasing the titans on the world to bring humans together, I'm going to be annoyed. But I think I would also be annoyed if this was just some sort of plague or disease or genetic thing.

You know, I really don't know what sort of explanation for them would satisfy me. Maybe that's why I find it so interesting, heh. I kind of hope they exist for some noble or "for-the-greater-good" reason but I can't imagine what reason could possibly justify what they've done.

Any of those scenarios that you mentioned would annoy me too, but I also don't know what would make me happy either. I highly doubt it has anything to do with religion consider how often religion has gotten the backhand in the series, especially with the last episodes.

I don't know why, but I keep thinking the titans as being mobile plant-life even though that makes no sense.

I'm glad that the last episode was suspenseful, but not too much. I can wait for the second season calmly, but now I must convince my friends to watch it.

I'm glad that the last episode was suspenseful, but not too much. I can wait for the second season calmly, but now I must convince my friends to watch it.

Agreed. I'm glad that they SPOILER: added the part about Titans in Wall Sina. I almost thought that it wasn't going to be incorporated into the final episode.

And to think that I started watching this after accidentally clicking on a clip of SPOILER: Levi being "mean" to Eren. O_o

I haven't seen the last few, and I'm actually super wary of even watching the last episode because from what I hear they made a LOT of unfavorable changes with it.

Derailing Eren's character, and shafting Armin in favor of pushing Eren/Mikasa among them, as well as screwing Hanji out of some scenes in favor of the more popular Levi.

Pretty much everybody I've seen has been pissed about something in the finale, which I think really really sucks. I'll get around to the episode, but finishing the anime is not a priority anymore...

I haven't read the manga, because I'm waiting for the anime to be close to over. Armin is becoming my favorite character of the series, so I wasn't really fond of him getting shoved to the side and I really doubt they will make a romance out of two certain characters because the story seems to be pushing the idea it's one sided, which I hope stays.

As for derailing the main character...I'm okay with it as he never seemed stable in the show anyway. This is all based off assumptions without reading the series. My opinions may change if I do and I'm holding myself back.

What I'm really worried about is that apparently Funimation got the English rights to the series. They tend to have a go to voice actor and I'm pretty sure if they use him as any major character for the series, side or otherwise, they will be getting a lot of hate mail. I'm hoping the creator of the series will step up and be like the creator of Tiger and Bunny and approve of the voice acting instead of giving no say. That ended up working very well so I'm hoping for the best and will be checking on the English casting regularly because it determines whether I buy the US release or not. If it turns out crappy, I'll just order the Japanese only with subs. I might actually check to see if there's a German dub because that would be rather appropriate.

I'm just really mad because what they appear to have done is actually take scenes meant to display how close Armin and Eren are, and actually replace Armin with Mikasa. I love Mikasa, she's awesome, but they put her in where she didn't belong and sidelined Eren and Armin's friendship for it. Which is not okay, I don't care if it's supposed to be romantic between them or just friends, ruining that relationship is terrible.

Their close bond--no matter how you see it--is one of the reasons I adore the pair of them together.

Though, if that was meant to be romantic between Eren and Mikasa, at least I can feel a little better knowing that by that logic, it's canon in the manga that Eren/Armin is meant to have romantic scenes. xd.png

I just... Was really hoping to see those scenes with Eren and Armin animated, and then they just cut Armin out and shoved Mikasa in there. That's not cool.

But I REALLY suggest reading the manga--I normally don't really get into the whole "manga is better than anime!" thing, but in this case... I really don't feel like they're doing the series justice with the changes I've seen people discussing in the last two episodes. (I will, of course, be TRYING to keep as open a mind as possible when I get around to watching them--but I've seen a lot of the comparisons being posted, and I'm not terribly fond of what I'm seeing...)

Of course, that might also be because so far, the anime has been a pretty good adaptation of the manga, with minimal filler and removal of content compared to what sometimes happens with anime adaptations.

But, seeing as Armin is my favorite character...

I also hear that apparently Hanji had some of her character development and revelations about her true nature/past sidelined in favor of more "Levi showing off how badass he is". Again, don't get me wrong, I love Levi! (Horribly misinterpreted by the fandom as he is, poor guy), I just really adore Hanji.

And I hate when a character who has a lot of potential gets shoved to the side in favor of the "more popular" one just on the basis of popularity.

Also I know this will never happen but I wish they would make titan sized swords for Eren, he would be soooo lethal.

SPOILER!

After that last episode, I think he's plenty lethal, even when he's... uh... disarmed (and dislegged!)

SPOILER!

After that last episode, I think he's plenty lethal, even when he's... uh... disarmed (and dislegged!)

That was so cool the way he was still running, I absolutely loved that part. I love his savageness and total disregard for his own safety.

~~

Honestly this anime is so true to the manga(half the time reading the manga is like reading an entirely different anime) that I just can't bring myself to complain about the fairly minor changes. I do think that how they changed the wall part was an ingenious way to create some pretty epic suspense for our one year wait. Maybe they came up with that but then figured Mikasa probably wouldn't keep hanging around up there so they gave her Armin's part.

I really don't get or like the Mikasa/Eren stuff. He does not seem to feel that way about her and is generally pretty callous about her and her feelings most of the time.

I hope this anime stays low on the romance stuff and doesn't have its storyline consumed by romance. I just find that when people are getting eaten by mysterious nearly invincible monsters, who-likes-who just isn't all that interesting.

EDIT: invincible, not invisible. lol.

Edited by Syaoransbear

Again, don't get me wrong, I love Levi! (Horribly misinterpreted by the fandom as he is, poor guy), I just really adore Hanji.

Yes, definitely. BDSM fanatic...seriously? I hope that they don't replace the part when SPOILER: Hanji is on top of the wall, and learns about the Titans in the wall and almost drops the Wall dude off of Wall Sina. with Levi.

I really don't get or like the Mikasa/Eren stuff. He does not seem to feel that way about her and is generally pretty callous about her and her feelings most of the time.

Agreed. It seems pretty one sided to me, although the part when SPOILER: Eren gives the red scarf to Mikasa. That was kinda cute, although I find it annoying that ErenxMikasa shippers are all like OMG! Eren gives a RED scarf to Mikasa? Symbolism! Red scarf equals red thread!!!!! at times.

I hope this anime stays low on the romance stuff and doesn't have its storyline consumed by romance. I just find that when people are getting eaten by mysterious nearly invisible monsters, who-likes-who just isn't all that interesting.

Yes, please.

Spoiler for those who aren't up to date with the manga/watch the anime: I wonder what would Levi's reaction be to Erwin and his one armness?

I hope this anime stays low on the romance stuff and doesn't have its storyline consumed by romance. I just find that when people are getting eaten by mysterious nearly invisible monsters, who-likes-who just isn't all that interesting.

Thank you so much for stating this better than I could.

From what I'm seeing this series is definitely labeled as a shounen which from experience never have romances, but may hint ad side crushes or relationships, they never become a story involving aspect.

I also like Mikasa as a character (heck, there's not a single character I don't like that I'm not supposed to like) but I feel she has had the least amount of character change and growth. The change he seemed to have gone though after she thought Eren was dead was already something she had reflected on before. I'm looking forward to the second season and more character growth and hopes that Mikasa starts developing a bit more.

As for characters I'd like to see more screen time of, well really all of them, but Levi's superior who I can't even remember the name of. He's calling all the shots yet he's barely shown...just kinda curious about him since I just don't know anything about that character despite the major role he plays.

Yes, definitely. BDSM fanatic...seriously? I hope that they don't replace the part when SPOILER: Hanji is on top of the wall, and learns about the Titans in the wall and almost drops the Wall dude off of Wall Sina. with Levi.

Agreed. It seems pretty one sided to me, although the part when SPOILER: Eren gives the red scarf to Mikasa. That was kinda cute, although I find it annoying that ErenxMikasa shippers are all like OMG! Eren gives a RED scarf to Mikasa? Symbolism! Red scarf equals red thread!!!!! at times.

Yes, please.

Spoiler for those who aren't up to date with the manga/watch the anime: I wonder what would Levi's reaction be to Erwin and his one armness?

In response to that last one:

Given the way the series has been going lately I'd really seriously laugh if he grew it back. SURPRISE EVERYONE'S A TITAN!

Really not sure how I should feel about the final two episodes when it comes to the changes from the manga. 24 was all filler. Interesting filler, yes, but why put in fighty-filler while cutting other stuff at the same time? The journal part? Anyone? That could've easily taken up a chunk of an episode and then we wouldn't have time for this inconsistency where Mikasa got clobbered by rubble and was suddenly able to get right back up to do the finger slice. I don't care how much of a BAMF she is, anyone taking a big chunk of building to their entire body would be basically down for the count.

Plus it would've built up even more interest in the next season come onnnnn.

Edited by Lythiaren

Interesting filler, yes, but why put in fighty-filler while cutting other stuff at the same time? The journal part? Anyone?

I feel like that journal part is extremely crucial to the story. It definitely adds more mystery. Hopefully they add it in somewhere else.

Also this picture makes me laugh everytime I see it

user posted image

Oh, a SNK thread, nice! My husband and I are fans of it!

It was me who brought us to it. I was selling t-shirts of it - didn't know it, back then - and 1 year later I stood in a book shop and wanted to buy second-hand mangas. There's not many things I can get really into, but after reading the storyline I bought it and took it home. I started to read it and without taking a break I finished reading it within a short amount of time. Then on the next day I bought the other volumes tongue.gif

(We like the anime too, record/recorded it on tv every week. Haven't watched episode 25 yet.)

Cannot wait until the release of the next volume. I also have the first light novel "Before the fall" here but I didn't finish it yet.

And next year there's the real animation coming out for Japanese cinemas, but I don't know yet if I watch it or not.