Rarek

Skies of Rain

Cody was thankful that Karrin was finally awake. He wasn't sure if Feliceia remembered everything about first aid. Soon, he had completed the tasks Karrin had asked and was finishing dressing her wound.

"We haven't had time to search the plane. We were too busy trying to deal with our wounds. But from the way that the nose appears to be all smashed in, I wouldn't expect there to be anything useful." He winced as he imagined the pilot's struggle to the ground. Dismissing it with a shiver, Cody looked back at Karrin. "Can you tell if there is anything else which may become a problem? A cut or laceration somewhere?" He nodded at Feliceia to wordlessly ask the same question.

((I originally planned for the plane to be missing without a trace, but it's okay. We can just say the plane's components are unsalvagable))

Karrin nodded in answer to Cody's question while Feli ran off: "Yes, I'll do that. Sit down and let me have a look."

Reaching for her medical kit, she started going through it almost by touch; she knew its contents so well. She started picking out bandages, desinfectant and a steel box holding needles and several glass vials of antibiotics, when she stopped to look at the plane.

She knew that the odds were slim, but still....

"Could there be any survivors in there? If there are, they might be in more dire need of help..."

((If Cody and Feli are certain there are no survivors still on the place, Karrin continues to treat them. Otherwise she'll want to search the plane first. Btw how large a plane should I be imagining? Is this a large passenger liner, or a smaller Cessna type thing?))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

(Feli will be running off to look for survivors. Also, sorry about being near the plane. If it was stated somewhere i must have missed it. I apologize. ^-^'')

Feli had no more wounds that she needed to take care of. Her arm was pretty bad, but she took care of that as much as she could. She looked to the plane, multiple parts on fire. "I doubt there's anything salvageable. We'll look but I think I’m going to have a look around for other survivors. And about the medical stuff I took care of, we might want to watch it. I'm not sure if I did it right."

Feli mentally screamed at herself. She just gave someone stitches. She had never actually preformed that before.

She stood up and pointed to her backpack that lay on the ground. "I'll be taking this. I know that you have your own rubbing Alcohol but if you need more I’ll leave mine behind." She said talking.

"Once i come back, we need to tell each other our names. Because I don’t know either of yours."

And with that Feli ran off to look around.

(In the plot introduction I said that the plane disappeared out of sight, but it's alright lol. We'll put this into the story no problem. It's a twin engined plane, imagine something like this http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/...wker_400XPR.png

We have an OOC thread now, please post all further OOC in that thread smile.gif Thank you!))

He nodded at Karrin and sat down obediently, removing the makeshift gauze bandage from around his head and exposing the gash in his forehead. He also turned his leg so that the one on his calf was also visible.

Cody looked back at the mangled wreck of a plane. Could there really be survivors in there? It seemed highly doubtful. The nose was crunched in, and there were deep gashes in the sides from where the trees scraped against it. One of the engines was still on fire. That really doesn't look safe.

He called out to Feliceia. "That engine looks like it could explode at any minute, are you sure you want to go in there? Maybe look around from the outside?" His voice was nervous, really not looking pleased at how shifty the plane looked about then.

Edited by Rarek

Feli looked back. She nodded. "Of course. I don't plan on expecting the plane. I'm just having a look around the area." Feli promised. "Feel free to use any items in my backpack. "

Feli ran off into the plants and trees. Maybe she could find some sort of edible fruit or something growing on one of the plants. It wasn't long before she found something interesting.

She heard a hiss. She looked down at her feet. She gasped as she jumped back. A South American Rattlesnake. She knew the species simply because she did a little bit of research before coming here. She knew how to tell if snakes were poisonous in general and this was one of them. Triangular head, slit eyes like a cats'. Not the ideal animal to snuggle with.

She gave herself some space between her and the snake and picked up a heavy rock from the ground.

Edited by Shyrus

Karrin cleaned Cody's headwound, used swallow stitches to pull the edges of the wound together, and rebound it.

"That one's not as bad as it looks, but your leg worries me more."

The wound in Cody's leg was deep and had been filled with twigs and dirt. She hesitated a moment before taking a local anesthetic and, after injecting the leg around the wound, opening it back up. The blood would wash out most of the dirt, but she needed to be sure: an infection in the middle of the Amazon would easily be a death sentence. She tried to be as gentle as she could, making sure the wound was cleaned and thoroughly desinfected before she stitched it up. Taking fresh supplies, she worked fluidly and quickly, leaving a barely discernible trail of stitches. Lastly, she bandaged the wound with sterile gauze. The entire procedure had only taken a few minutes.

Her own headache felt much better now: she was a good doctor and performing a relatively simple task like this, even after a plane crash in the middle of the rain forest, was oddly relaxing. She had also found the resolve to do what she had to.

Looking back at the plane, she got up.

"We *have* to look. If there are people still alive in there and they die because we left them...

You stay here, watch that engine, and I'll go in?"

Karrin was no hero and getting back onto burning planes was not something she wanted to do, but she knew she would feel eternally guilty if anyone died and she could have helped them.

Cody winced the entire time Karrin tended to his wounds. But he bore it and waited until she was finished to inspect the wound. It surprisingly seemed very small when the stitches were in it. He nodded his head gratefully. "Thank you, I couldn't have done nearly the same job as you."

He sighed when she mentioned the plane, but nodded in agreement. "Alright, but PLEASE be careful. I don't want to lose either of you, especially now. Make sure you keep your ears open for my shout, that engine looks unstable already." Cody gave her a look that told her You better come out of this alive. Cody wouldn't last on his own very long.

"Of course."

Karrin picked her way over to the plane, carefully avoiding the debris of ripped metal, until she came to the tear in its side. It was large enough to enter through, if she was careful not to cut herself. Taking her leather jacket and placing it over the metal, she crawled in.

The plane inside was a mess. Most of the hand-luggage had been blown out, but some smaller items as well as half-eaten flight meals remained stuck in pockets on the back of the seats. Scanning the area, Karrin spotted a few items that might be valuable to them.

There were no people remaining in the passenger area and for that, she was grateful: it meant everyone had at least made it out alive, even if they weren't here. She tried to recall how many people had been on the plane, but she'd been so focused on preparing for her new job, that she was ashamed to say she wasn't sure.

Creeping towards the front of the plane, she saw that the cockpit door was unlocked. She carefully opened it, steeling herself for what she might see inside; if anyone had remained on board, it would be the pilot, after all. But the cockpit, too, was blessedly empty. As a matter of fact, it was very empty, with several overhang cabinets open and void of their contents. The pilot must have left the plane in time and he had several items with him. Another medical kit? Supplies? A satellite phone? If we find him, we might be saved!

Making her way outside again, she picked up a few of the items scattered around: two paperback novels, an unopened bottle of water, a pack of gum and an unopened sandwich. It wasn't much, but every little bit counted. Crawling back through the tear in the plane's hull and wrapping the items in her jacket, she returned to Cody to share her findings.

The snake gave off a warning hiss and a rattle. Feli didn’t want to turn her back to it. She didn’t want to run she wanted to fight. But with a snake you might as well try and freeze fire.

She threw the rock using both her arms, hoping to squish the snake. The rock landed with a ‘thud’ and the snake stopped moving.

She didn’t want to lift up the rock to see if it was still alive so she decided to wander back.

--

She came back to where the other two where. She noticed that the girl was gone. Probably to inspect the plane.

“Hey. I found a rattle snake. If we run out of food we can check in a day or two to see if it’s dead. If it is we can cook it and eat it.

Cody sat watching fearfully at the still burning plane engine. I never should've agreed to let them go. This is way too dangerous. Besides, if something did go wrong, what could he do? It would be likely that half the remaining plane would be destroyed in an explosion of that magnitude. He sighed nervously, anxiously waiting for the pair to return.

He let out a breath in relief as the pair emerged from the trees which partially obscured his view of the wreckage. He spoke first to Feliceia, who had begun to talk first. "Chances are we wouldn't. The majority of the known snakes in the Amazon are poisonous, and we can only assume the unknown ones are following the same trend. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't have the experience separating the edible from the non-edible portions of a poisonous snake."

He turned to Karrin, who appeared to be carrying an armload of things. His eyes brightened a little. "Did you find anything useful? A radio perhaps?" He knew he shouldn't get his hopes up, the likelihood of such a finding was slim to none. Still, it wasn't impossible. Cody attempted to rise from his sitting position, but came crashing back down as his stitched up calf yowled in protest. He sighed and looked up. "I hate to ask this especially of the pair of you, but I'm gonna need help getting up."

Karrin shook her head in denial.

"No, no radio. The pilot is gone and from the looks of it he took a lot of supplies with him. Perhaps if we find him, he'll have a radio or satellite phone."

Holding up the other items, she continued:

"I did find these though. A sandwich. I suggest we eat it now; in this heat it won't be long until it spoils, even if it is still in plastic. A pack of gums, which seems absolutely useless here but you never know. Water; always good to have. And two books."

She held up two battered paperbacks: The Beach by Alex Garland and Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.

She looked apologetic as she handed them over.

"I do hope they're not a foreboding of times ahead."

Then she unwrapped the sandwich and carefully divided it into three equal parts, handing out a share to Cody and Feli alike. It was no more than one bite full, but after everything she'd just been through, the simple BLT seemed like the most delicious thing she had ever eaten.

"We need to decide what to do next. Soon, people will notice that we haven't arrived and we'll come looking for us. I suggest we make camp here and scour the surrounding area for water and food. Maybe we can hold out until they find us."

She didn't say what would happen if they weren't found. The Amazon was vast and almost untraversable; even if they had stayed true to their flightpath, it could take weeks a rescue party to arrive, and if they hadn't... Nevertheless, at this point, staying put seemed like their best choice. There would be plenty of time to strike out on their own if it turned out no one was coming.

Feli ate her share of the sandwich. "I think I have a small snack in my bag. I may have packed a couple granola bars but I can't recall too clearly. But I think we should save those until later. As for shelter..."

Feli started to look around. "I think a Lean-to would be best. It's not much, but it's a quicker build. We can make something better once we have food and water. But unless we have something to boil the water in I’m not sure how well we'll do with that part of the plan. Oh! And I still have no clue what your names are.”

Cody seemed a little apprehensive with the singular "a" when she mentioned shelter. He had always had a separate room and slept alone for his entire life, but he knew it wouldn't be practical to build more than one. He couldn't help but turn slightly pink as he said, "Yes, I suppose a lean-to would make logical sense." Cody might've put an accidental emphasis on "a", as his subconscious began to take over his speech, but he didn't notice.

He smiled as Feliceia asked for their names and extended his hand in greeting. "My name is Cody, I'm a Canadian Environmental Science student studying my Masters in biodiversity. Pleased to meet you."

(( Sorry for not posting to respond to you, Shyrus. ))

Finished and confident in the way he had just treated his wounds, Dereccio rose from the ground and brushed off anything that might've gotten on his clothes. He was a bit shaken up even now, but his breathing was much calmer than before and now he felt much less dizzier. He stumbled slightly, his right hand grasping his left wrist and feeling a strange bump. It seemed that he somehow wound it, but it wasn't broken, yet he felt pain when he moved them around. Dereccio started approaching a strange hill, his gaze following the smoke rising just from behind it. Those were probably remains of the plane crash. As he walked, he tripped into something and turned around to see a snake's head trapped by a heavy stone. It still slithered left and right but it was trapped. Well, he would need some food. Ducking down slightly by it, Dereccio drew his knife and pressed down the stone, then slliced off the part just behind it's head and raised it. Snake meat - not the most tastiest and easiest to prepare but it would give him some much needed calories later on. He hung it on one of the loose ropes hanging from his bag, tying it securely so it stood there properly and safely without bleeding on his pants. With a sigh, Dereccio lifted himself up and started observing the surroundings, searching for any kind of food or plants.

“I’m Feliceia. But you can call me Feli. That’s what everyone at home calls me anyways. I’m an apprentice journalist. I came here to study Amazonian wildlife. It’s nice to meet you too.” Feli took Cody’s hand and shook it. Feli looked to the girl. “And how about you? What’s your name?”

Was Cody blushing? She wondered why for a moment, when it occurred to her that they'd be sharing one sleeping space. She started to feel a blush of her own creep up her neck and tried to push it down: it's not like they'd be naked, with all the insects out here, and they could always use a towel or something as a divider.

Taking Cody's hand and shaking it, as well as Feli's, Karrin added her own introduction.

"I'm Karrin. I'm an American doctor; I was on my way to Lima to work."

Getting back to what Feli had said before their introductions, she continued:

"I actually have a little petrol burner that we could use to boil and cook things. Uhm. In my other pack."

She looked around at the vast jungle helplessly.

"There was no more luggage on the plane so it must be strewn around. Somewhwre. Could be anywhere."

She sighed at the impossibility of their task, then steeled her resolve.

"I propose that two of us stay here and build the lean-to, while the third scouts for a source of water. Cody should give that leg some rest, so that leaves you, Feli, or me, to look for water. We also need a fire to keep away predators at night; does either of you have something that could help with that? Oh and I should probably add that although I have watched Ray Mears on tv and know about 'fire, shelter, food, water' as basic neccessities, I don't actually know how to *make* a fire. Or a lean-to, for that matter."

"I know how to make a fire but it's rather difficult. I haven't been able to actually make one. As for a lean-to, it's easy. We just need some nice sized sticks and branches. Basically you get one large branch and lay it on its side. It needs to be up in the air somehow though so we need two things for the branch to rest on so it's at least a foot and half above the ground. Then we just lay sticks along the branch on both sides to make a triangular shape. Then we need something to cover the top."

Feli tried to explain the best she could but it probably made no sense what so ever. "It's rather easy, it just takes time." she reassured.

By the time Feli was done explaining how to build a lean-to, Karrin was staring at her in wide-eyed confusion. I can't do any of those things. I'm way out of my league; what am I doing here??

Of course, she knew what she was doing here. It's not like she woke up one morning and decided to go survivaling in the Amazon. No, her plane had CRASHED. That more ore less made her a survivalist by default; sink or swim. And Karrin was not one to give up easily. Can't build a lean-to? Then find another way to contribute.

"How about you and Cody set up camp, and I'll search for water. Who knows, I may even get lucky and find one of the missing bags." She laughed and added: "It might contain a tent." Or my clothes. They'd only been out here for a few hours and already her clothes were sticky with sweat and mud.

Cody sighed. He knew how to build a lean-to, but he was in no condition to build large things. He knew something else he could do though.

"I can handle the fire. I've had tons of camping experience in that department. Those rocks over there..." He pointed to a small rise where there was a rock face with some fairly hard looking stones. "That is flint. It's usually found near most limestones, which in the Amazon, is naturally quite common. It is notorious however, for making sparks." He brushed away some of the leaves and twigs in a wide enough area that he exposed the dirt underneath. "No sense in catching the forest on fire."

He looked up at Karrin and winced as he brought himself up with an effort onto his feet, favoring one leg. "It would be very useful if you can find us some more materials for us to use. Water should be our top priority after shelter." He looked back at Feliceia. "I'm really sorry that I can't help build the shelter, I can do little things if you need me to, but I hope you can handle it for the most part. Try to use smaller sticks and branches whenever you can, we don't need you to get hurt out here."

Feli looked back at Cody. "That's fine. And I’ll be careful." She reassured. She walked off in another direction to get some branches and sticks. She had found a nice pile of wood. She knew rope would help with keeping it together. However she wasn't going to complain if she couldn't get some.

The smaller sticks could probably be stripped down and intertwined to make some sort of rope. But it would take a lot. She made a mental note to do that later.

Dereccio started checking nearby trees and the ground for anything edible. He wasn't exactly a guide at survival but had experience with these things himself. His gaze went to the far distance, and he could see something like a ybag in the distance, yet he was unable to say if it was exactly that. Turning around, he started slowly climbing the hill upward, using his knife to raise himself in the parts that were harder to climb. Halfway through, he found some rope on the ground. Around ten feet in length, he guessed, but very solid - seemed almost like climber rope. He hooked it on his bag and continued upward, soon finishing his slow climb. From the spot at which he was, he had a fair look at the surroundings. His gaze scoured the land, spotting the whole parts of the plane to the right, along with a dense forest to the left. What made him raise his eyebrows in confusion was some movement just past what he wasn't able to see. He quickly ran down the hill, a hiss escaping his lips as he found another wound in his leg before turning his gaze. Yes... three people. A young man and two women. "Hello?" He waved his hands but kept them in the air as he approached, knowing that his slightly blood-stained knife could potentially make them nervous.

Cody was about to get up when he heard another voice. That's a man speaking! Another survivor! He looked around for the source of the sound, and then spots him coming over a rise. Cody smiled at first trying to be friendly, but then sees the bloodied knife raised in the air and the blood drains from his face. He couldn't defend himself with this stitched up leg!

"Karrin! Feliceia!" He yelled at the top of his lungs, scrambling the best he could. But his hands were still up, a submissive position. What's going on? What's that blood from?

Like Feli and Cody, the first thing Karrin saw was the knife. Were they in Brazil already? Was this man FARC?

She felt every muscle in her body tense and her heart was beating so fast that she thought her chest would burst. If he was FARC, he would likely kill them all. No, she corrected herself, he will kill Cody, but me and Feli...

For an eternal moment, she couldn't see beyond the knife. She had worked the ER in a major hospital and she recognized what she was doing: she was focussing on the apparent threat, which was the weapon. It was a common human reflex; she had met many victims of violence who could have drawn a picture of the weapon in their sleep, yet not even tell you if the man wielding it had been Caucasian or African-American.

Tearing her focus away from the bloody knife, she looked onto his face. He had short black hair and deep blue eyes in a tan face. You know this man! a distant part of her mind screamed.

Karrin never forgot a face, or a name. It wasn't what made her a good doctor, her skills did that, but it was what gave her excellent bedside manners. And she knew this face. He had been on the plane with them, as a guard. Still struggling to overcome her rising panic, her mind put a name to the face.

"Derek?" she said. There was an almost pleading undertone of hope to her voice: if he was Derek, he was safe.

Dereccio kept his hands high up in the air, taking the time to get a look at the people who were here. They seemed quite familiar but... well, he hadn't been listening to anything important. But he knew that the boy's name was Cody - at least, something close to that. "I-I'm from the crash!" He said at first, hands still high in the air. Then he turned his gaze around to the left as one of the two women spoke to him. She had messy, curly brown hair and dark brown eyes, along with lightly tanned skin... she was the doctor onboard of the plane! And for the second girl... wasn't she a journalist? Anyways, the first woman suddenly said something... that he was Derek? Yes, yes, Dereccio and Derek were both close! "Yes, yes, I'm Derek! The guard from the plane!" He said, hands slowly going down as he caught his breath. "As for the knife, I cut this snake's head off... it was trapped under a rock or something... and forgot to clean the blade." He spoke as he ducked down to wipe the knife on the grass before sheating it and rising up. "Sorry for the suprise appearance... how are you guys doing?" He asked immediately, knowing his duty as a guard was in full effect, especially now. He needed to keep the others safe.

Edited by SkullKrusher

When the man confirmed he was indeed Derek, Karrin felt a wave of relief wash over her. With no other outlet for the adrenaline that had been rushing through her body, preparing it for a fight-or-flight response, she started trembling. Fearing that her knees might buckle, she sat down on the ground abruptly.

"We're fine. Considering the circumstances, that is. And you? Are you well?"

Getting a better, more relaxed look at his hands, she noticed a strange lump on his left wrist. She gestured to it.

"Shall I look at that?"

And then, fearing the answer, she finally asked the Million Dollar Question:

"Do you have a radio? Any way to contact the outside world?"