Rarek

Skies of Rain

Cody remained wide-eyed and fearful, having grabbed onto a size able rock near where he sat. Finally, Derek identified himself and Cody let out an enormous sigh of relief. He let himself fall back into a laying down position, his heart beating a million times a second.

He began to realize his leg was feeling warm, and as he looked down, he groaned. All of his stitches on his leg had popped and he was pouring blood from the wound that had been opened too many times. He realized that in his panic, he was holding himself upright by just his leg muscles. You fool, what have you done?

Cody was also out of breath from the fright and the effort of holding himself up. He barely managed to say Karrin's name aloud before he had to close his eyes and take a moment to breathe. Stupid, stupid child.

Dereccio nodded in response to Karrin. While they were a bit wounded, hungry and tired, they weren't smoldering bodies or corpses lying around the remaining pieces of the broken plane. His gaze went around the forest as he stared at the distant ground, but knew nothing was there. With his right hand he grasped the left one for a second and then let it go.

"Think I hit my hand when I freed myself from the ropes. Was tangled up and couldn't free myself, so I used the knife. Dropped from around 6 feet high... and sadly, no. I had a phone with me, but right here it won't pick up anything... if it's still solid and I find it."

Letting go of his hand, his focus suddenly went to the right and to Cody. He heard him say Karrin's name easily and turned to look at him. The sight of blood suddenly made him react and he immediately turned to look down and at his leg. He had stitches, but they had somehow reopened. He was now bleeeding all over the place and tried to catch his breath.

"Maybe later, Karrin, Cody's stitches reopened! We need to stitch up the wound once again."

Dereccio spoke quickly and immediately reached to his bag. He pulled out a cloth towel and walked over to Cody, then ducked down by him and slightly placed the towel on the wound. He wouldn't press on it because his hand hurt, but he would help.

"Slightly press down so that the bleeding becomes weaker but don't apply too much pressure - you'll make it bleed more than it already does."

Edited by SkullKrusher

Karrin shook her head at Dereccio: "We need to get that bandage off first, or I can't even get to the wound. You do that and I'll get my kit."

Getting her bag again, she pulled out a slim steel case containing several glass vials and syringes, as well as the stitches kit and wound-disinfectant from before.

"I'm going to take out the stitches and redo them, this time more tightly and deeper into the flesh. I'll give you a local anaesthesiac for the pain. Are you allergic to, or have you ever had a strange reaction after taking any kind of medicine?" She sounded like she had asked that question a thousand times before.

"After this, you're confined to rest; you're not to walk a foot without assistance. Doctor's orders."

If the stitches opened a second time, she might have to cauterize the wound and under these circumstances that would be her very last choice. No matter how many precautions she took, under this heat and humidity the wound could still get infected. If it did, she'd have to re-open and clean it again; which was easily done with stitches, but if it was cauterized she would have very little options and none of them pleasant.

Cody gulped and looked wide-eyed up at Karrin as she asked if he was allergic to anything. "Sadly...every type of anesthetic the doctors tried.. I've only ever had major surgery once, and they had to knock me out cold in order to do it." Suddenly, his eyes got wider. "Oh no, you couldn't possibly, not out here..." He started to panic as his heart began to race, the bleeding slightly worsening. They wouldn't knock him out in the middle of the Amazon, would they?

"Roger that, Doc." Dereccio spoke as he took the towel off of the wound and started removing the bandages on the kid's leg. Looping the bandage in the reverse direction, he soon got it off and finally managed to get a look at the wound.

"Where the heck did you tear it up like that?" The man asked with an obviously confused look before shaking his head. As soon as he opened the wound, the blood started to slowly spill, so he placed the towel back on and applied slight pressure. His eyebrows rose in confusion when the young man mentioned that none of the anesthetics worked on him because he was allergic to them and that he was last knocked out.

"... I thank myself that I am not allergic to anything... Cody, you may have to be knocked out again. Either that, or you're biting on a stick and screaming until Karrin's done. Though I do have to say that it's up to her decision. One thing - if I have to knock you out, don't hate me later for it." Dereccio said as he pressed on the wound before turning his gaze to Karrin.

"What's your choice, Doctor?"

Karrin looked at Cody. "Are you telling me you're allergic to all standard anaesthetics, or that the doctors went straight for full anaesthesia since you had to undergo surgery, and you don't know if you're allergic? If the former: Derek is right. I've had patients refuse anaesthesia before and endure, but those were all people with a proven high pain-threshold, most of them soldiers who had seen active duty in a combat zone. It's not something I'd recommend."

If Cody was determined to stay awake, she wouldn't refuse him. After all, it made the treatment infinitely more painful but not less effective. And, to be honest, she understood his reluctance. Full anaesthesia always carried a small risk and they were in the middle of the Amazon; this was not exactly a medical ward stocked with equipment for all eventualities. Though they might not need anaesthesia....

"Derek, are you sure you could knock him out safely?"

Before Cody could panic again, she raised her hands in a reassuring gesture: "I'm not asking him to do it, I'm asking him if he could. That would affect our decision, after all."

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Cody nodded his head. "My surgery had to be rescheduled four separate times, each time they used a different anesthesia. I couldn't tell you which ones they were, so I'm going to go ahead and say it's likely not safe to try any of them."

Cody was visibly shaking now, he didn't know what he should and shouldn't let them do. Should he let them knock him out? Will it hurt? And will he regret it later? He gulped as he nodded to Karrin. "Use your best judgement."

It was then that a massive bang exploded from the trees, followed by a fireball that was more tall than wide. A shockwave pelted over them, and a sudden rush of heat a second later. Then, as soon as it started, it died away, leaving nothing but a plume of smoke which rose and eventually cleared. The fuel had exploded so quickly that it had been exhausted within seconds, consuming all of the oxygen and simultaneously putting the flames out. Tiny bits of shrapnel rained down for a minute or so, mostly hot more than piercing. It was quite clear that the plane was gone.

Edited by Rarek

Dereccio nodded slightly to Karrin in response to what she said about him being able to knock people out safely. He was one of the best in the stealth course, and that thing was as real as possible. Cameras, actual guards and even dog guards. You could disable the first and the second, but the third was safely guarded and nobody was able to get in there except when the dogs were released to look for you. Snapping out of his thoughts, he nodded once again to reassure both of them.

"I've been trained to be able to knock out people with a single hit - and the experience was on my friends back at the military, so I had to do it safely and properly - and how to recover quickly from a knock-out or resist it entirel-"

Before he was able to finish his words, a big explosion errupted from behind Dereccio. He immediately used his body to cover both Cody and Karrin from the blast and any pieces that fell from the sky in a minute after that. When it was over, he got off of them slightly with a hiss.

"You guys okay? Any wounds?"

Although he asked them, he knew he was wounded. A piece of metal was lodged into his left shoulder, bent slightly because of the pressure. There was also a few cuts on where small pieces of metal hit his body but otherwise he was fine. He hissed once again slightly as blood from the wound on his shoulder dripped on the ground.

Feli’s head shot up from the ground when she heard an explosion. Was that the plane? Feli swiveled around to see a large ball of fire shoot into the air. Her heat stopped. “Please tell me that they’re not dead!” she silently hopped. She ran back to the camp site. “If you guys are alive I’m not going to forgive you for how much you scared me.”

Feli ran down the roots of the trees and camp into the camp. Cody was on the ground. Dead or alive Feli wasn’t sure. Karrin was trying to help him, and there was someone knew here too.

Feli ran to the three. “He’s not dead is he?!” she almost yelled. She tried to keep her voice down but she was in panic.

Karrin was about to tell Dereccio to knock Cody out, when an explosion rocked their little world. From the corner of an eye she could see a ball of fire rise up from the plane and she immediately knew what had happened; she had hoped that the plane's resources would remain salvageable, but in the state the little aircraft was in, it had been only a matter of time. She turned to Cody and grabbed his arm to prevent him from running on that leg, and braced for impact... And then there was Derek, shielding them both while fiery hot metal rained down around them.

The explosion ended almost as soon as it had started. It was surreal how such a small moment in time, could make such a difference: the ground near the plane was scorches, she thought she spotted a small fire starting in the undergrowth nearby and everything was covered in schrapnel. She heard Dereccio hiss as he got off them and when she turned around, there was blood dripping off him to the ground. She couldn't see his back, but it was clear that the explosion had wounded him. She said a mental prayer to whatever god watched over stranded crash survivors that it wasn't too bad: Cody's leg was open and still bleeding, though small mercy that she hadn't had time to remove the stitches yet so some of it was still held together, and somehow she didn't think a man like Derek would hiss over a mere scratch. She had two patients and was one pair of hands short for triage. And then she heard a familiar voice shout...

Whipping her head up, she spotted the young journalist.

"Feli, get over here, I need you!"

Slightly more reassured that they could handle this, she turned to Derek: "Turn around and let me look. And don't argue" she added, suspecting that he might shrug it off otherwise, "We'll need you healthy and strong to get out of here."

Feli kneeled down by Karrin. She could she how that the newest survivor was injured, and that Cody's wound had re-opened and was bleeding. A few of the stitches had burst. Feli got Karrin's backback and started to rummage through it. "what do you need?" She asked.

Karrin replied to Feli without looking up, she was busy keeping pressure on Cody's wound.

"Same as last time: stitches kist, wound-disinfectant, gauze, bandages and gloves. And then I need you to help Cody so I can take a look at Derek. This is Derek, by the way, he was a guard on the plane."

She was sure glad that she's stuffed her pack full of medical supplies, at the rate she was going through them. It wasn't uncommon for doctors from the rich, affluent West to carry medical supplies with the when they visited a clinic in the poorer parts of the world. After all, what was ridiculously cheap in America might be almost impossible to afford or even acquire elsewhere. And Karrin wasn't just visiting; she was staying, so she had stocked up. Okay, maybe that was borderline smuggling, but with her medical license she had been able to get clearance for all of them. Well, almost all of them.

"Okay." Feli replied digging out the items she had asked for. She set them down next to Cody so the supplies where available to both Karrin and herself. She put on some gloves and looked at Cody's leg. Again, Feli wasn't a doctor. "Karrin I might need some help with a part or two when you can. I’m a journalist not a doctor."

Feli started to put disinfectant spray on Cody’s leg.

Edited by Shyrus

Cody looked between Feliceia and Karrin. They were already preparing his leg, and he was still here. I suppose her judgement was that I should be awake for any danger that might occur...unless she's forgotten to knock me out. Either way, Cody grabbed a stick from the ground nearby, inspected it and quickly pulled the bark off before chomping down on the stick. He had to be ready just in case her decision was to keep him awake.

Edited by Rarek

Despite everything, Karrin smiled to herself when she saw Feliceia jump in like that. The girl certainly didn't do anything half-hearted. Still, baby-steps would be fine at this time.

"Don't worry, all I need you to do is clean the area around the wound and then keep pressure on it while I look at Derek's back. Then, depending on which of them is in a worse condition, I'll treat that one while you keep pressure on the other. You're performing First Aid and the most important rule is: keep them alive until they can get to a doctor. So you just need to stop the bleeding long enough for me to work."

Putting on a pair of gloves herself - good thing I brought a box full of these - she grabbed a handful of thick gauze and showed Feliceia how to keep pressure on Cody's leg. The she turned to the student himself.

"Cody, if Derek is doing al right, I'll put in one stitch and we'll see how you react; and keep in mind that you'll need a LOT of them. But if Derek is doing badly, we won't have time to test your control, and I'll ask him to knock you out so I can work more quickly. Agreed?"

With Cody stabilized by Feliceia, she turned to inspect Dereccio's back.

Cody took the stick out of his mouth for the moment and gave a brief nod, silently praying that Derek was alright. He continued to shake in anticipation of what was to come, but he had to close his eyes for a second. The wound was deep, and reopening it meant a lot of blood was spilled before the bleeding was gotten under control. He'd probably feel dizzy for a while after they were through.

It wasn't as though Cody wasn't strong, he most certainly was when the time called for it. But he had never been injured like this, and it was going to take all of his strength not to scream when she reunited the two sides of his flesh. Not to mention most people did this under anesthesia.

The events before the crash kept replaying in Lani's head. She stepped onto the plane, and listened to the safety precaustions and other gibberish like everyone else. She knew how to make these planes and repair them, so all of this was incredibly boring. With a small eyeroll, headphones were slipped on over her ears. Lani hadn't really seen any of the others. After all, none of them were goin to meet again. Boy was she wrong. The right wing made a terrible grinding noise, before it shut off completely. The plane and all of its inhabitants were thrown into a downwards spiral. Sadly for her, Lani had taken off her seatbelt. She crashed into the wall right arm first, and was tossed about. The last thing the engineer remembered was the sound of her music.

Lani stirred at the sound of voices. She was caked in a fine mixture of dirt, blood, and various debris, and in a lot of pain. Her right arm had broke. Biolently, with the bone jutting out of the skin unnaturally. The rest of her was covered in cuts and brisies of various severities. Eyelids retracted to reveal unfocused, dark-colored eyes. A groan was all that she could manage, but it wasn't too quiet. Turning her head to the side, she noyiced her music player still attached to their headphones, along with her backpack. Imagine that, they had stayed with her in the tumble. The music was cranked up loud eneough to be heard from a small distance, even wit the headphones on. Ironically, Welcome To The Jungle happened to be the song.

Edited by shadow_claw

Feli watched as Karrin instructed how to keep Cody's leg from bleeding out. Feli did as she was told and did so. She couldn't help but think how much of a wimp she was. She still hated and feared any and all spiders bigger then her pinky nail. And just about a year ago each time she saw blood she would get dizzy and throw up.

Sure, she was handling this okay mentally. But there were still a lot of things she had to work on. Cody's leg was very... mutalated to say the least. And Feli still didn't know how she had toughened up over the past year. She just hoped he wouldn't bleed to death.

(( Very sorry guys. ))

Dereccio hissed as he shook his head in disapproval. He slightly stumbled forward so he was just in front of Karrin, after which he ducked down and turned around. Whatever was visible from the shrapnel that hit was bad - it was halfway in his shoulder and there was a slight yet existant chance of muscle damage. It seemed to go as deep almost to the bone.

"It's not too good here... think that piece's in all the way to the bone... and then there are the scratches." He said with a serious voice as he pointed to the rest of his back. There were around tens of scratches, along with two gashes on his back and on his right side and a couple of bruises. Lots of debris hat hit him, but only the piece in his back was the serious wound - otherwise, the rest were under control.

"I don't know... really, I didn't want to knock out Cody, but my shoulder could get infected... still, what's your call, doc?" Dereccio asked as he turned slightly to the right so she could have a better look at his wound.

Carefully examining the wound without touching the large piece of metal, Karrin didn't like what she saw. Derek was badly hurt, needed treatment quickly and would take time to patch up. Cody was badly hurt, needed treatment quickly, but she could have him stable in a few minutes - if he didn't squirm or otherwise made treatment more difficult.

Turning to Cody, she shook her head apologetically. "Sorry Cody, but I need the time."

Then turning back to Dereccio, she nodded for him to knock the student out.

While Derek 'tended' to Cody, she spoke to Feli: "I'll wrap up Derek's wound and you keep pressure on it. No more. I'll tend to Cody then and you just keep Derek from bleeding out until I can get to him; it will be a few minutes top. Whatever you do: do not upset that piece of metal in his shoulder."

As bad as it looked, that piece right there might be what kept Dereccio from bleeding even more profusely. It had to come out eventually of course, but she wanted to take it out herself and with all her equipment at hand.

Dereccio nodded to Karrin as he let her examine his wounds. Whatever was going on with his shoulder, it was quite bad. And the other wounds weren't in a good condition, too... pushing himself off the ground, he approached Cody and patted his shoulder slightly.

"Don't hold this against me, kay?" He said slightly as he ducked down, then applied a basic choke hold that cut off the boy's oxygen supply. When, around 8 seconds later, he went limp, Dereccio stopped the choke and checked the pulse. A bit fast because of the panic, perhaps, but otherwie calm and proper.

"Done here," said the man as he placed his bag under the boy's head after taking it off his back and then got up and approached the other girl.

"Feli, right? Uh, well... I'll be in your care from now on..." He spoke as he ducked down and allowed her to easily access his wound. It seemed bad, but if she could keep his bleeding he would be safe.

(( Sorry for powerplay. ))

(It's fine. However when we talk OOC we do it in the OOC thread. Just a heads up. smile.gif )

Feli nodded at Karin when she gave her more orders. Simple enough. Just keep applying pressure. To be honest, Feli felt just a little useless here but at the same time was glad her job was much more simple then Karrin's. Feli watched as Derek knocked Cody out. It wasn't exactly a pretty sight. Her first instinct was to attack Derek, but she knew it was for the best and temporary.

Feli's mind started to drift ... again. Wondering about how long they would survive here. Derek suddenly out of nowhere transported in front of Feli. Well, so she thought. "Hm? Yeah that's my name."

As Derek sat down Karrin's words replayed in Feli's mind. "Just keep pressure on it. Whatever you do don't disturb the metal."

Feli placed her hands on his shoulder and pressed down. "Karrin, I’m not a doctor and I know you said this looked bad but, is Cody's skin around his leg gash supposed to be that color?

It took a long time for Lani to muster the strength she needed to sit up. Getting up was even harder. But once she was on her feet, she didn't feel like she'd fall over. The sound of voices grew louder with every shaky step she took. "Hello? Can anyone hear me?!" The engineer called out. It was unlikely that there was actually anyone, unless there had been other survivors. That made sense, saying as the crash could've been much, much worse. "Hello? I need some help!"

Karrin shook her head in response to Feli's question. "It isn't, but -"

At that moment, she could clearly hear another voice calling out for help; a woman, by the sound of it. She exchanged glances with Derek and Feli and shook her head.

"Derek, I know what you're thinking, but you can't risk that piece cutting into your shoulder any deeper, nor can you risk moving it or dislodging it. It's a small miracle that you're still standing and if it cuts into the muscle you could lose motor function in that arm. Feli, if you can use tape to keep Derek's bandages in place and keep pressure on them, you could go look, but I'll need you back in a few minutes to bandage Cody's leg."

She didn't look up or stopped working on Cody's wound while she talked; taking the opportunity now that he was out, to quickly pull out the old stitches, which thankfully hadn't had time to bond with the flesh yet, and clean the wound more deeply and thoroughly. She didn't like the colour any more than Feli and with a small scalpel she removed the pieces of flesh that might cause an infection. She also pressed the sides of the wound together so the flesh puckered and pushed up, allowing her to check for any ill signs more carefully. She never could have done this with Cody awake and she was silently thankful for Derek's skills; apart from some very spectacular bruising, the young man would never be aware of it.

Satisfied with the way the wound looked, she put in a new row of stitches. Like before, it had only take two or three minutes; her hands knew what to do on their own and she sometimes felt she could lay stitches with her eyes closed. They were as neat and tidy as before, but she had used a thicker thread and she knew it would leave a bad scar. Still, if they all got out of here no worse for wear than scarred, they should be thankful.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Time seemed to slow down after Karrin gave the order. Suddenly, he had found himself regretting his decision to let her use her judgement, and his eyes were wide with panic. Just as he was about to yell that he changed his mind, someone was throttling his throat.

His eyes had snapped back in fear to his assailant, trying to say something, clawing at Derek's hands to relieve the pressure. Tears ran down his cheeks as he tried to flail his legs, pain whipping up his nerves. He choked and pulled at Derek's hands as the world got darker, his attempts getting weaker until, after about eight seconds his vision had closed, his lungs bursting for air, and he fell limp into a deep unconscious state. The last he had thought was, I really hope I will be better after this, I can't let them down.