Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Hanzo saluted the Chumyo when she rose. "We'll see to it right away, sir." He looked at Web. "Shall we go see this Mia?" He walked toward the door and held it open for the Chumyo - who looked like she *really* could use some sleep - and Web.

Hanzo was looking forward to the meeting between the two diplomats. He wondered how those talked to each other and whether he would be able to pick up on all the undercurrents and deeper meanings diplomats were so renowned for. It would be like watching a game of celestial gates without playing pieces, he guessed. It would be intriguing indeed!

Web gave due deference to the Chumyo - though as non-military didn't salute, then nodded to Hanzo,

"Best to get things out of the way before calling it a night."

As the pair made they way to Dace's office where Web assumed Mia was waiting, Web wondered why a meeting was wanted.

[Hanzo on an analysis mission? Sounds good to me xd.png And Tinker could find time to slip out at some point before bed lol.]

Pheonix saluted Shaya, and made plans to brief the other members of the unit on what had happened before turning in.

Even though things seemed to have been sorted out - there was little harm in being prepared just in case.

Mia rose to make a new pot of tea. A wonderfully fragrant scent rose in the air and the Eclipse smiled; she greatly enjoyed tea and this blend was one of her favourite. She heard Captain Dace move around in the other room; he was getting ready for bed, but had graciously allowed her use of his office - which also served as his sitting room - regardless. She had noticed a similar casualness when she was serving under the Bull of the North; she assumed that soldiers were so used to sharing barracks, that it dulled their sense of modesty and need for privacy. Or possibly, she reflected, necessity had taught them to eat and sleep when they could, regardless of circumstance.

If the Chumyo had been truthful about conveying her request to the Abyssal - and Mia believed she was - the Death Knight should arrive soon. By now, Mia was convinced that both Dace and Shaya were servants of the Unconquered Sun - albeit violent ones, as Dawns were wont to be - but she had her doubts about the Death Knight. A servant of the Neverborn seeking redemption? The idea seemed preposterous, thoug *if* it was true, it was certainly a beacon of hope. Either way, Mia would know after she had spoken to the Abyssal herself.

Shaya cast a longing glance at the small bed, then shook her head. Walking over to her bag, she retried a pen and leather-bound tome: her Captain's journal. In the Underworld, she had kept track of distance travelled (a guesstimate) and any encounters they had had, but she had lacked the time to comment on her unit's performance and morale. And of course, the events since their arrival in Nexus were still completely unchroniceled.

The Dawn would never be Lookshy's best administrator, but she saw the value of having her log in order before the Commanders arrived. She took another sip of khaf and grimaced when she noticed that the liquid had grown cold and bitter by now. Chugging the khaf down regardless, she sat down at the table again and started on her log.

She was aware of Tinker watching her, but she pointedly ignored him; she knew that his advice would be to save it 'til the morning and get some sleep. After a few moments, the old man picked up the pot of cold khaf and commented "I'll get a refill then". She briefly smiled at him gratefully and turned her attention back to the log, while he left the room.

Hanzo saluted as the Chumyo left and once more to the Lieutenant when he left himself. I should probably make her new rank insignias as well. She is the Chumyo's first officer, after all. In his mind several designs of Red Jade and Orichalcum surfaced and he filed them away for later. Now he should focus on the meeting.

Together with Web, he walked to the building that the Chumyo had indicated, and knocked on the door. He detected a subtle scent through the midday air, barely noticeable over the smells of the compound: hard packed dirt, oil and steel. It reminded him of better days in Lookshy; in the small garden of one of its many tea houses, sipping the hot brew and eating spicy fish in the shade, talking with his neighbour about the latest shipment of Southern spices. The tea had been a rare blend, one of many special teas in that particular establishment.

He shook his head to clear it of distracting thoughts of home and waited for a summons.

[since Pheonix is dealing with NPC unit members - unless there's going to be any big questions/reactions/problems from them, I'll assume that briefing goes well]

Web stood beside Hanzo as he knocked on the door. For a brief moment, Web again had uncertain thoughts about the wisdom of company - not for her own safety, but for the impression it would give.

Then her concern was dismissed by the scent of tea that drifted around the doorframe. Amazing how such a simple thing can ease the mind.

((Same goes for Shaya - unless there are any interruptions, she'll just continue writing her log off screen.

I'll make a Tinker post later.))

"Come in," Mia called. She was young, but her voice was already pleasantly smooth and deep.

If the Eclipse was suprised that she had more than one visitor, she didn't show it as she poured three cups of the tea.

"You must be Web," she said to the Abyssal. "I'm glad you could come."

She then turned to Hanzo and inquired "I don't believe I know your name?"

She indicated for her 'guests' to sit down - if they wanted to - on Dace's sofa.

Hanzo closed the door after Web had entered and proceeded towards the sofa and the women. The fragrance was definitively coming from the steaming tea being expertly poured in the cups. He was looking forward to drinking it.

As he approached the sofa he gave Mia a slight bow as was customary in Lookshyan greeting. "I am Hanzo, I'm Chief Engineer of Lookshy." he said proudly. There was a slight hesitation when Hanzo introduced himself as such a high ranking officer. Yet his Chumyo had named him her Chief Engineer, so he should act like one and get used to claiming the title. Of course he felt slightly guilty for doing so, as the people who had more right to it had died. And he hadn't proven to be fit for the position yet. I'll make her proud. he solemnly vowed.

He sat down where Mia had invited him to do so and looked forward to the meeting. He reached for one of the cups and cherished it, holding it under his nose and breathing in the aroma, then gently taking a sip and savouring the taste.

After the invite was given, Web entered the room to see a young woman pouring tea. Mia, I'd guess.

It seemed to be borne out, as Mia expressed her sentiments.

Moving over to the sofa, she replied,

"You would be correct in that assumption. I only wish our meeting could have occurred under less strained circumstances."

Like most Northerners, Mia was by nature a very direct person. Neverthless, working as a diplomat for some time had taught her temperance and she perfectly observed the rigours of Lookshyan tea before getting down to the point. She took the extra time so her visitors might feel more at home - especially the Chief Engineer, whom she hadn't expected - and so she herself could prepare for the conversation and enhance her own 'truth-saying' abilities.

((Mia will be using Judge's Ear Technique and possibly Sagacious Reading of Intent so she'll catch any lies, half-truths or hidden motives.

It might be interesting for Web that Mia is ghost-touched. I haven't decided yet if she was born of a ghost or Abyssal, or if she was touched by the Neverborn in a more direct way, but Web might be able to feel it now that she's so close to her. Mia doesn't exude any nastiness or gloom, she just has that ' \touch of the grave' about her.

Btw, do we want to RP his convo question-by-question or shall I give a description of the type of questions that Mia asks and you both can react to that?))

[Description would work - though some answers may change the natural flow of the meeting, so descriptions should leave wriggle-room for changes. And Ghost-touched/Ghost-Blooded usually have one ghost parent - however if she could hear the screams of the dead/dying, that implies a bigger link to the Neverborn.

And chances are both Hanzo and Web would feel the Charm activations even if they can't tell the purpose of them...]

Accepting the tea from Mia, Web felt an odd sensation. The only way she could describe it to others - and herself - was a feeling of distant familiarity. Almost as if she'd met Mia or a close relative of Mia's before. Web couldn't quite pinpoint what triggered it - and it wasn't due to seeing her with Dace earlier.

Taking a careful sip, using the time provided by Mia's observations of ritual, Web finally identified the cause - Mia had been touched by the Underworld in an intrinsic way. A Ghost-Blooded Solar? That doesn't seem like it could be possible.... but apparently is.

A tingle of Essence brought her back out of her thoughts, although there didn't seem to be any change in the room.

[since the Charms target spoken words rather than people - the effect will only be noticed when words are spoken.

During the meeting, any half truths or hidden info (since technically similar in nature) in Web's speech will be posted in grey and any out-right lie will be in purple for ease of identification.]

((I think that, by the rules as written (RAW), it's not easy to see/feel Essence. All-Encompassing Sorceror's Eye (AESE) allows you to see Essence and it has some hefty requirements, and several charms have the 'Obvious' keyword to let you know that they can be spotted - that leads me to believe that without AESE (or an equivalent charm or artifact), non-Obvious charms are not readily detectable.

HOWEVER, I think we should houserule it to reflect the way we've been playing it. I think it's cooler and it accomplishes two things:

1. By the RAW, an undercover Exalt still has a wide range of charms at his behest. With our houserule, they have to be *much* more careful. Imagine trying to escape the Wyld Hunt under your own power, rather than 'charming' your way through. It would add to suspense.

2. Originally, all Exalts were seen as cherished Chosen of the Gods; it makes sense that there is no reason for them to hide Essence expenditure. So this adds to the history of the setting.

But I do propose two limits to being able to see/feel Essence:

1. Unless it's used directly against you, it's very hard to pinpoint source and type (and even if it is used directly against you, you might not notice if you're currently focused on something else, tired, very far way, or if there is already a lot of Essence going around, etc - aka it's not perfect). So you might know that there is 'Essence abound', but you don't know where it comes from, or even if it might be after-effects from earlier charm usage or interference from a nearby Manse. That way, characters have to figure out for themselves what exactly is going on, rather than simply rely on on 'Essence radar'.

2. Charms with the specific purpose of making something go unnoticed, don't leave a detectable Essence trail. That would encompass all Stealth charms, social charms designed to make you blend in, combat charms designed to make an attack unforeseen, etc. Otherwise the charm would kinda defeat its own purpose.

Are we all okay with houseruling it this way?))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

[House rule seems fair - Web knows she's in the presence of Exalts, so the Essence on its own is no cause for alarm. However one of those Exalts has been in opposition and the other doesn't like the fact there's a Death Knight around - so that's what really brought her out of musings.

So all she knows is that Essence has been used - and its not hers and she knows its not Abyssal, she's the only one of those in the room/barracks.]

((I am perfectly happy with that houserule. It keeps unobtrusive essence use possible, but gives essence a place in the everyday lives of Exalts. I like it.))

Hanzo drank his tea, enjoying the ceremony of it, giving him a sense of hospitality he hadn't expected to find in Nexus. When he had finished his cup, he put it down, signalling that the conversation could commence.

"Thank you for the wonderful tea, Mia? Now, you wished to speak with Web. Since you don't trust her and we don't trust you, I am here to make sure everyone will remain safe. "

He smiled encouragingly. With that out of the way, this should be a pleasant conversation.

Considering Hanzo hadn't shown any reaction to the potentially residual Essence that she'd picked up, Web settled back even more with her teacup resting on her lap.

"I am curious as to why you asked to see me." Web mentioned after Hanzo broke the silence of tea drinking.

Mia smiled and nodded at Hazo's less-than-stellar attempt at diplomacy, before turning to answer Web.

"The Chumyo was so vehement in her defense of you, that I hoped to meet you for myself. After all, an Abyssal seeking redemption is a very rare sight."

It probably didn't escape Web's notice that Mia didn't offer any statement about her belief in such claims of redemption - she merely acknowledged the existence of the claim.

Mia then proceeded to engage both Web and Hanzo - after all, this might be a valuable opportunity to get to know Lookshy's Chief Engineer too - in what seemed to be a pleasant conversation. Underneath the surface though, there were questions that she would see answered and she skilfully steered the conversations to topics such as the time and circumstance surrounding their exaltation, how they came to be a member of the Chumyo's entourage and, in Web's case, what caused her to seek redemption.

In addition to 'listening' to the truth of Web and Hanzo's stories, Mia also searched for any hidden compulsions or control in Web. After all, even if the Abyssal herself believed her tale to be true, she might still be a sleeper agent for the Neverborn.

All through the conversation, however, Mia did keep an open mind. No one had ever heard of an Abyssal seeking redemption, but that didn't mean it wasn't possible - Web might simply be the first of her kind to walk that path.

((Sorry for the late reply!))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

In addition to 'listening' to the truth of Web and Hanzo's stories, Web also searched for any hidden compulsions or control in Web. After all, even if the Abyssal herself believed her tale to be true, she might still be a sleeper agent for the Neverborn.

((Sorry for the late reply!))

[No worries on the reply timing - though what's with Web observing herself? See bolded text in quote. And I bet Web will notice the conversation steering - though she may not call on it unless it leads to information that could be used against them.]

Web noted that Mia didn't deny or accept the validity of the redemption claim, but only offered it as a statement of fact due to the Chumyo's defence. Briefly she did wonder why Shaya had leapt to her defence so readily - considering the observed reaction to Abyssals in general.

Web had already told the tale of her Exaltation once before - so the basic details should be familiar to Hanzo. This was if not easy - at least a story that Web could tell with certainty.

"My Exaltation occurred ten - well closer to eleven now - months ago. My home village - can't remember its name, if it was even large enough to have a name recognised on maps made further afield - was the target of slavers."

"The children had been rounded up - and were being loaded into caged wagons. Their parents did nothing." Web's tone changed to reflect what she thought of the inaction - disgust mixed with curiosity - a 'how could they allow that to happen to those they claim to love?' tone.

"I couldn't stand by and just watch. I tried to stop the slavers; they had no qualms about cutting the 'impudent teen' down to size. As I lay bleeding, a voice offered me a choice." Web closed her eyes as she recalled the exact wording:

"Die as a failure or live with the power to end all the suffering."

She opened her eyes again, "I chose to live. My wounds sealed up - and I faced the slavers again. The details of what happened next are blurred; but the only slaver left standing was the only one not to draw a blade a second time. I freed the children. Told the survivor to run and to spread the word among his kind that if they thought that village was an easy place to target to think again, that it was under my protection."

"The village elders cast me out as monster." Web looked down at the teacup in her hands, "I think only the youngest child dared to look at me directly and say 'Thank you'...."

At this point Web fell silent, lost in the sad memory of what had immediately happened afterwards.

[The Neverborn played on her compassion...that will not go well for them if she succeeds in reversing their influence.... And the blurred memories are only due to the internal confusion of Exaltation, though perhaps if presented with something from the time, Web may remember in more clarity.

That seemed a good point to end post - and give Hanzo a chance to answer the first - and maybe for Mia to try and cheer Web up?]

Edited by Takhesis

[No worries on the reply timing - though what's with Web observing herself? See bolded text in quote.]

((Gah! That should be Mia observing Web. I've edited it smile.gif.))

Hanzo listened to web's story and felt sorry for her. He wondered what he would have done, if he would have accepted the offer. Most probably he would have.

Don't get too emotional about her story, Hanzo, she could be playing on your emotions with those words. Be careful.

He poured web another cup of tea, then offered Mia a refill and lastly poured another cup for himself.

"There isn't much to tell." Hanzo started. "Even as the Scarlet Empress murdered my entire city, down to the last woman and child, I was fated to be one of few survivors."

A gloomy expression crept on his face, although he tried to hide it. I am still not sure whether I was the lucky one or not.

"I am a member of the Lookshy military and when a scouting party returned, I naturally joined their ranks. Since our captain was the highest ranking officer of Lookshy, she rightfully assumed the mantle of Chumyo and we set out to assure the continued safety of the river province by forming a new army."

He looked at Web. "We were lucky to have web with us, or we wouldn't have made it to the council meeting in time. We had to go through the Underworld."

Then Hanzo shut up.

Have I said too much?

[Mia will at least know that Web has told the truth with her Exaltation tale - even if certain aspects are vague, if only because she admitted that fact... and there is a reason Web is using Castes as names (mainly as I haven't named them - plus two of them are dead so the names would likely be different xd.png)]

Web may have been distracted by the memories, but she was aware of Hanzo pouring her another cup before answering Mia's background queries. A thought did drift past, while the scent of tea tickled her nose. Does Mia actually know that Hanzo is an Exalt? Her questions imply that she does, but she could be just fishing for information.

That thought, along with the tea, brought Web back to the present. Seems Hanzo may have picked up on that point - he didn't exactly say he was an Exalt. Though most of Lookshy's military upper echelons are Dragon Bloods...

She managed a small smile at Hanzo when he said they were lucky to have her to make the meeting on time. She picked up her story, slightly out of order time-wise, since Mia's next enquiry was about joining the Chumyo's group.

"My meeting with the Chumyo's unit occurred before they returned to the city, before the Captain took the title of Chumyo. She was naturally suspicious as to why a female rider was alone during the time of Calibration."

This part of the tale Hanzo wouldn't have known, at least in full, depending on how much information Shaya had shared about their meeting. Web took a sip of tea before continuing.

"Upon being challenged, I explained I was seeking shelter from a Death Lord. That I'd taken a recent course of action that would bring punishment upon me if I was caught. Shaya didn't miss the implications of that statement. After briefly detailing that action as well as my nature as an Abyssal, the decision was made to take me into the protective custody of the unit so that I could explain myself to Lookshy's High Command." Web didn't blink at admitting she'd been, in effect, the Chumyo's prisoner.

"At that point, what I had feared happened. My former colleagues caught up. Two Abyssals, a Daybreak and a Dusk, revealed themselves. Dusk called me a traitor and they proceeded to attack."

"Shaya interposed herself between them and me. The more combat orientated of the two turned to face her while the Daybreak caster moved back and shaped Essence."

"I thought it was odd that only two were there - since neither of them were good at tracking. So I looked for the one I knew was, I couldn't detect him - so I switched on weaving a counter to the caster. It was at that point, that I saw Shaya's anima and realised she wasn't the Earth Aspect that her armour indicated." Web knew what happened next was her fault, and didn't like it, another sip was taken,

"She must have detected my Essence rising and turned towards me, giving a quick gesture to one of her men. Perhaps expecting me to join in on the Abyssal's side of combat. That brief moment was all that was needed for the Dusk to slip in a successful hit."

"Shaya turned back to the fight, striking the Dusk down tearing her armour open in the process." Now Hanzo would know what caused the damage he repaired, Web wondered briefly if it would change his view of her. "The Daybreak's Essence finally took on its form - a fatal spell designed to take down my defenders. My own anima flared up at that point, as my counter-weaving took effect." Considering she'd got this far with the telling, she wasn't about to gloss over details - unless they were too gory to tell, "Shields forged from the unit's own shadows rose up to absorb the energy and redirect it away from the intended victims." There's probably more dead grass because of that....

"Essence Lances then took down the Daybreak as she tried to recover from the shock. Needless to say, Daybreak died too. Fight ended, Shaya finally let her wounds take effect. I dismounted, thinking to offer aid." Web finished her tea and placed the cup to one side.

"Then the third one tried to strike, he must have developed his concealment skills since we'd last met, but his use of Essence betrayed him. An arrow crackling with black lightning was heading for Shaya's back. I moved as fast as I could - alerting the unit to the archer's location as I did so. I had no reason to think they'd trust me but I had to try."

Web's hand strayed subconsciously to her lower rib as she spoke, Hanzo would know for certain, and Mia could reasonably guess from the words, - that was where the wound was.

"I took the arrow and the Lancers did fire on the hidden Day, but I do not know the final status of that one. After that, the group rode for Lookshy - with Shaya in a makeshift stretcher to start with. I think you know the rest."

[Web has carefully avoided the reason for seeking redemption so far - though since that was technically last on Mia's list.... she hasn't lied or been evasive. This was the answer to how she got to be part of the group.]

[scene intermission aka BUMP. Also finally named the Day Caste....]

The Shadow of Cities was not in a good mood. He didn't like his plans being setback.

The replacement Daybreak was doing well in training, so that was at least a plus.

The problem was that he needed a hard hitter to protect the Daybreak, he didn't have the time to train that one in combat methods if he was to get back on track, and so far no good candidates presented themselves.

He stalked into his backroom, where five large objects loomed. He considered the only lit one with narrowed eyes. If I can't find one - I'll just have to engineer a situation to find one.

He turned around and paused as his eyes rested on the rightmost one. A sly grin formed as a plan started to form. That will solve my problem - and deal with that traitor Web too....

Gliding back into his 'throne room', he summoned Piercing Silence of Ashen Clouds.

As the Day Caste responded and bowed low, Shadow of Cities spoke quietly:

"I have a new task. This is what I want you to do......"

Edited by Takhesis

(((Whispers is a little busy right now, but she'll try to post tomorrow or the day after.))

In the forested hills and vales of the East, something crashed through the trees and underbrush. A monstrous predator sped with inhuman bounds and leaps toward an unseen prey. It knew where to go, although it was puzzled how the prey had managed such distances in such a short time: its own progress was slow. Too slow.

When it came to a cliff, dropping a thousand feet into misted woods below it did not stop. It accelerated and leapt into the abyss below. In mid-air a hideous transformation took place. The powerful predatorial shape twisted and bubbled into another, long limbed one. Dark fur fell off and the next moment feathers sprouted on the naked skin. The predator that had leapt into the sky had become a majestc raptor bird, which took off due East with great speed.

Finally it was making some progress.

--------------

Hanzo listened to Web's story of her meeting with Shaya. He hadn't been briefed on the specifics, so he was very interested. He should look into the tricks of these Abyssals. Later.

As Web finished he turned the question around. "How did you exalt, Mia of the North? And how did you end up with the Bull of the North?"

Edited by Biologist

((I am soooo sorry for the delay! Promise it won't happen again!))

As Mia listened to Web's story, her face shone clearly with sympathy. She couldn't fault the Abyssal for her initial choice, no matter how disastrous the outcome might have been. The Neverborn were predators after all, and the desperate were their prey.

"I'm sorry for what you had to endure," she offered. She didn't apologize for judging Web so hastily though - after all, she had only hears the beginning and end of the Abyssal's story so far and had no way to judge if her 'redemption' was sincere or not.

"The Neverborn are not known for letting servants slip through their fingers though, no matter how they acquired them. How did you get out? And why?"

She paused for a moment when Hanzo asked for Mia's own story. Finally she decided to just be honest - they had been with her too, as far as she could tell.

"As long as I can remember, I've been able to see and hear ghosts. Most of them have something left they still need from the living and I've always tried to help them with that. One day though, my compassion overrode my common sense - ghosts aren't like us, they are fixed in their emotions and that makes them dangerous - and I would have died if not for the Unconquered Sun. As to how I got to be with the Bull of the North: all Solar Exalted travelling the North end up with him at one point or another - he is the focal point of Solar power there."

[No worries I would have posted the next intermission if I hadn't thought it would have accelerated things too much....]

Web took a moment to gather her thoughts while Mia told her own brief tale, now came the part about seeking redemption; the part that Mia was really interested in and inherently the hardest part to actually believe.

"The how is slightly easier to explain than the why, so I'll start with that. The opportunity presented itself while undertaking an errand for the Death Lord that had taken me in after my Exaltation." Web didn't think she'd have to say why she'd been taken in - after all she'd already mentioned her previous home casting her out.

"This unfinished errand was the one that put me in the Chumyo's path," Web figured that she'd have nothing to lose with the details so she expanded on it, while not going into the full story as she did with Shaya; "I was to negotiate a pact of sorts between the one I served and the conqueror of Thorns, the Mask of Winters. I turned North towards Lookshy instead of continuing West to Thorns."

"I can only guess that one of the other denizens of the Underworld reported my change of direction..... otherwise I have no idea how the others would have caught up so fast."

The how dealt with, Web then turned to the why, I still have the written missive among my things.... probably should ask Pheonix to burn it....unless that's already been done considering the confiscation.

"Now for the why. My services were never on the 'front line', but I saw the aftermath of those missions that were - I saw the suffering that my 'kin' " Web practically spat that word with the disgust that showed in her voice, "had inflicted. That wasn't what I'd agreed to, I could not be party to any more pain - directly or indiectly. One Death Lord was bad enough - let alone enabling two to co-operate."

"I think that about covers it." Web finished, on a half truth, she didn't want to expose others to more danger, the more that knew about Griffin - the more likely it was that he'd be betrayed.