Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

[No objections to the timeskip - assuming Hanzo has nothing to do beforehand? Web will be relatively silent on the way back - due to her mental exercise... this post takes place as they enter the barrack district of Nexus... though it may be too late to stop Dace's 'welcoming party']

As the more affluent residential buildings gave way to the more militaristic style barracks of Nexus's many mercenary companies, a spark crossed Web's mind.

Wait.... the speech named Dace as a candidate for the leadership of the new army. It would be unlikely that he could be swayed against the army - considering his position as a military commander, but he could be influenced against the proposing founders - Especially if the unknown Exalt detected my counter and identified the source..... Detection wasn't outside the realms

Web opened her mouth to say something.....

[i'm guessing Tinker's nearby and would sense a change in her posture... and possibly ask what it is? Or does that seem a dramatic point for Dace's entry?]

((Mia's revelation strikes me as the perfect lead-in to Dace's arrival...))

Tinker half-turned to Web to ask her what was wrong, when he noticed Shaya stopping in her tracks. Following the Solar's line of sight, he saw Captain Dace, Lieutenant Risa, a large unit of elite Tigers and a white-haired girl he hadn't seen before. In a single leap, his mind jumped to the same conclusion as Web had just reached and he inwardly cursed himself for being so distracted by the vision - of course the saboteur would try to turn Dace next!

A quick count of the men behind Dace and Risa revealed about twenty fully armed soldiers and the old Sidereal cursed again. As far as Dace *should* know, Shaya and Pheonix were Exalted while the rest of them were mortal. He was fairly certain that Shaya could take Dace (though probably not until they'd levelled this city quarter between them) and Pheonix had already proven to outclass Risa, but still twenty extra pairs of hands to even the odds was a bit much... Unless one other of them had also been revealed as an Exalt.

Shaya ran a different set of mental calculations than Tinker, but reached a similar base conclusion: her fellow Dawn wasn't here to congratulate her on her speech. He was fully armed, he had brought his men (quite a few of them too, from what she could see) and they were *outside* the Tiger baracks - effectively cutting her off from her own unit.

"Captain," she greeted him. The cold tone in her voice spoke volumes.

For a moment, Dace considered letting it be. He did trust Shaya and.... His gaze fell on Web - but he didn't trust that woman. If Shaya was compromised, he owed it to her, himself and the new army to get to the bottom of this. Heck, if her speech had been succesful, he owed it to everyone in the River Province.

"Captain," he returned the greeting as he stepped forward.

"I've received information that your *associate* -" he didn't bother to hide the disdain in his voice as his eyes flickered to Web "- is deceiving you. I'd like to discuss the matter with you in private and sequester her until then."

He tried to keep his voice friendly, but firm - he wanted Shaya to know that he didn't *want* to fight her, but would if he had to.

Shaya briefly turned to look at Web. Her eyes revealed surprise and even disbelief, until she steeled herself - she herself had said from the start that Web might be planning a betrayal, so Dace's accusation shouldn't affect her so much. Still...

It might be possible that Web was running a long con, but she'd proven trustworthy until now. And Shaya didn't like the fact that Dace was trying to blindside her by having this discussion away from her own men.

"You'd *like* to sequester her," she repeated Dace's words to him; the slight emphasis indicating that she wasn't particularly inclined to give him what he 'liked'.

[Wonder how Dace would react to knowing it was Web's speech that was used? Since Shaya was the one that approached him about the leadership spot?]

Pheonix also didn't like the implications of the Bronze Tigers cutting them off from the rest. Granted she'd been tasked with making a plan of battle if Web had proven herself a betrayer, but so far Web had - if she wasn't planning anything, and Pheonix couldn't read minds - helped them.

Pheonix wasn't so much angry at the assumption that Web was a problem, after all, there was still that possibility - but more at the Tigers for assuming they couldn't have dealt with it.

She was wary of escalating things - especially since the Tigers outnumbered them, and had more reinforcements then they did. Even so, while the two Solars faced off, she asked Shaya, emphasising the rank - strongly implying the success in council. Perhaps Shaya can now pull rank on him - since the Council accepted her speech naming him as General.

"Signal, Chumyo?"

Shaya would know what she meant - a single Fire Bolt into the sky would act as a flare - it could also be interpreted as a request for orders. Though it may bring more than the Lookshyan troops.... and Pheonix wasn't sure how many other mercanaries companies would support Dace over them.

Web remained stationary, fully aware of the distain of the Tiger commander. I should be used to it.... so why does it hurt so much? Perhaps because I got used to a group partially accepting me, if not fully. She looked over the group - there was one not wearing Tiger-emblazoned armour. Guess I now know whose Essence I encountered.

That information didn't help anything, and Web could see the approaching conflict. Wonder what the 'pro-peace' one will do if a fight breaks out because of her? The thought was bitter and her Exaltation wanted to see it happen, if only to see the innocent mind shatter. The part of her wanting redemption felt sick, I should be looking for a way to prevent conflict... now is there an action I can take without making things worse?

[hmmm I doubt it, Dace wouldn't trust Web and Shaya did say Web was under her protection....so wouldn't allow Web to give herself up either.]

I should be looking for a way to prevent conflict... now is there an action I can take without making things worse?

[hmmm I doubt it, Dace wouldn't trust Web and Shaya did say Web was under her protection....so wouldn't allow Web to give herself up either.]

((It might be possible - if Web can persuade Shaya that she really is fine with being sequestered until they clear things up (emphasis because Shaya is very unlikely to let Web go if it seems permanent) and Dace can persuade her that Web won't be harmed while she's alone (aka no 'questioning of the prisoner').

Shaya would probably feel a lot better if someone would be allowed to accompany Web, but Dace could balk at that (cause she might use her 'evil powers' to make them do something).))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Hanzo was baffled by the audacity of Dace. This mercenary leader thought he could do a better job at detaining the Abyssal than the trained soldiers of the army of Lookshy. If he thought physical force was all that was needed to detain the dark diplomat, he was sorely mistaken. He had to do something.

Hanzo was apprehensive at first to chime in, but he clearly remembered that the Chumyo wanted him to give his thoughts, even if she didn't like it. He just hoped he had interpreted her words correctly when he stepped forward to her side and spoke up:

"Sir, I think it is irrelevant that he wants to detain her. Even if he could, which I doubt. The real question is: how trustworthy is his information of deceit? *We* have information on a saboteur who wants to prevent the formation of the army that can ensure the safety and independence of the entire River Province. Getting you and the general of the new army to be at odds would be high on my list if I wanted to ruin the chances of success. We've known our source long enough to judge the truth of the information. Maybe it is he who is deceived? Sowing distrust is easily done..."

Since there was no room for whispers and privacy, he spoke out loud, so that Dace - and possibly the rest of his detail - could hear his words as well.

Maybe it is for the better. he thought as he cast a challenging look at Dace.

Shaya considered the input that Pheonix and Hanzo had given her. She had absolutely no reason to believe Dace's mysterious source and accroding to Pheonix, back-up could be here quickly. Of course, she could see the 'headlines' now: 'Chumyo and General fight! Both revealed to be anathema!' Such an action would get them both kicked out of the city and tank the new Seventh before it even got underway. She felt a headache coming on - politics was hard. Nevertheless, she made her first (and, she fervently hoped, last) politically-minded decision ever...

"Negative, Lieutenant," she replied to Pheonix.

Then she turned her full attention back to Dace.

"Firstly, *Captain*, you will address me as Chumyo. Secondly, before I *allow* you to respond to my Chief Engineer's concerns, let me tell you what *my* concern here is."

"You're trying to manipulate me," her voice became even colder.

"You're *here* because of three reasons. One: I'm cut off from my people. Two: you're hoping that I don't want to be seen fighting my own General-nominee in public. Three: and if the first two fail to reign in my temper, you hope that I'll pull my pulses to spare collateral damage to the people who live here. So before we go any further: are you *absolutely sure* that this is how you want to play it?" Her voice was cold, but concise and controlled - for those who knew her, this was a Very Bad Sign.

[Nexus already knows of Dace's Solar Exaltation.... he kind of went Totemic when dealing with the Salmalin/Abyssal coalition a few Calibrations back.... that is if the books are canon to our RP]

"Understood." Pheonix acknowledged Shaya's order and stood down - at least as much as she was no longer prepared to send a flare.

Instead she fell back slightly to cover Web and Tinker if a fight broke out. She was more worried for Tinker's wellbeing than Web's. An Abyssal Exalt should be able to cope with a few hits.

Web listened to Hanzo's words, as he voiced his concerns of manipulation. If they weren't already on alert I might have been able to look for signs of that - however any action on my part that uses Essence would tip the balance unfavourably.

She could only hope that Dace was patient enough not to order a brawl on the streets and that the unknown Exalt would prefer a more peaceful solution as well. That is if the distrust doesn't run too deep to dismiss one out of hand should it be voiced by me.

Web had a vague plan in mind - but wasn't certain if it would work, after all it would require a compromise on both sides - and from what Web knew, Shaya didn't go for that.

[Web will intervene if it looks like weapons are going to be drawn]

((Yes, Dace is already outed, but Shaya isn't, which is why she is worried about *both* of them being exposed. She wants to come out eventually, but not in the Solar version of a street brawl. LOL.))

Dace nodded as Shaya corrected him on her title. So her speech had gone well - that was good for both of them, but it also raised the stakes so much higher. A single Solar controlled by a servant of darkness was bad enough, but if that Solar was also the head of the River Province Army.... If anything, he was now even more determined to settle this.

"Chumyo," he used her title to placate her, but immediately saw her eyes narrow at the new attempt to manipulate her.

At this point, Dace felt a headache coming on. Usually, people either obeyed him or fought him. He wasn't used to being outranked and he certainly wasn't used to manoeuvering a situation towards a peaceful solution (although, he reflected, he was doing a rather horrible job of it). He had hoped Shaya wouldn't see through his ploy to have this confrontation outside the barracks or, if she did, that she didn't call him on it, but no such luck.

"Chumyo," he started in earnest this time, acknowledging her rank. He saw her relax ever so slightly and made a mental note to be honest from here on out - apparently she reacted just as badly to being 'handled' as he did.

"You're right that I'm trying to resolve this without a fight. But if the Chumyo of the United Army is being deceived by servants of darkness -" this time he purposefully kept his attention on Shaya and didn't deign to look at Web "- then it is my job to stop that deception."

Shaya didn't look like she was about to relent, so Dace pressed on: "As for the validity of my source - I believe she's being truthful and I'm asking you to trust my judgement on this."

Dace's fellow Solar still hadn't spoken, but he saw her eyebrows rise when he brought up the issue of trust, so he quickly amended: "Yes, I know that you could say the same. But... Look at it this way - if *you're* right, then I just made an ass of myself, but if *I'm* right, then we have a real situation on our hands."

He fell silent and looked at her - he'd given his best shot at getting Shaya to see reason. He could still push the issue; from what he could tell, Shaya would feel honour-bound to keep her word even if he effectively forced her to agree to his terms. Of course, that would probably ruin any trust and respect she felt towards him. And there was still the chance that she'd choose to fight, which would sink his already bad relationship with Nexus' Emissary. He was *definitely* getting a headache. Politics was hard.

Hanzo could feel the situation go from bad to worse. He wasn't going to let things get out of hand though.

He still spoke to his Chumyo: "Sir, the same holds true for him. If he is committed to the new army, he cannot afford to be seen fighting you. He is just as cut off from his men as you are. He might have a score of soldiers, but if you decide to fight, he knows just as well as you that they will not decide the outcome of the fight. And he is just as hesitant to engage you in the middle of his own city as you are for the same reasons: you have a duty to protect the innocent people of Creation from devastating forces. That should include the two of you."

"So we are at a stale mate. He might have thought to manipulate you, but he manouevered himself in the same position. All that is left, is whether he asked with respect, and he has. Even though he used the incorrect form of address."

"I suggest we all go back to the compound and discuss things there. The matter of detention is moot, since it is irrelevant to the situation. If there has been deception, it is done. Detention will not change that. But deception, from whichever side it comes, is certaily something we must look into."

Edited by Biologist

[Looks like Hanzo's playing peacekeeper, even if Web could say something that Shaya doesn't immediately snap at - who's to say Dace wouldn't view it differently. Basically as proof of control - what Solar would agree with an Abyssal? - type of thing.

And Solar brawls are .... rather destructive to say the least.]

If Pheonix could read both Solars - she'd agree with both of them. Politics was indeed a headache. However, she was basing her reading of Dace on her familiarity with Shaya, which did make room for errors. At least, he hadn't outright drawn his weapon yet and committed to a battle.

She did wonder why Web had not said anything and was effectively leaving the diplomacy to those less used to such matters. Slightly bemused, she asked the Abyssal:

"Are you not going to say anything?"

Web answered Pheonix, quietly, though her words could still be heard by the others.

"I am uncertain whether I can say anything that would not make the situation worse."

That reply was truthful enough, and should at least ease Pheonix's curiosity. Hopefully the answer - considering it was spoken, DIDN'T actually make things worse.... mainly as the forces were at a stand-off, without weapons drawn in violence intent.

[An opening perhaps for Shaya/Hanzo to ask Web on her opinion/stance?]

Shaya carefully considered her next step. She couldn't ask for Web's input; any suggestion the Abyssal made, no matter how sane or reasonable, would immediately become unavailable as an option, since following would only serve to demonstrate the Moonshadow's 'power' over the Chumyo.

Hanzo's input, however, was another matter.

"My Chief Engineer is right; you've manoeuvered yourself just as deeply into a corner as you tried to do me. So here is my answer."

Shaya's voice was perfectly calm, as if she were stating facts rather than outlining a plan. "We will return to the barracks, where I'll give you a chance to convince me of your source's validity."

Shaya's eyes briefly flickered to the blonde girl before she continued. "If you can persuade me that your source has any merit, I'll grant her an opportunity to explain to me where she gets such fanciful ideas."

"As for 'sequestering' Web... It seems that you've forgotten that she is a member of my unit. So unless you want to relieve me of my command, it's out of the question."

Awaiting Dace's reply - or more accurately, his submittal - Shaya remained quiet while keeping her eyes firmly locked on to his.

Dace knew what she was doing of course - 'stare 'em down' was a time-honoured tradition with military leaders. Well, he could play that game with the best of them. Remaining perfectly still and silent, he met her gaze while he considered his options.

He was pretty sure that he could take Shaya in a fight. He was definitely older than her in mortal years. And she'd told him that this was the same unit that she'd been serving with when she exalted and some of them were still young, so that couldn't have been too long ago. Even if her gave her five years of military experience as a mortal and then another five as an Exalt (and by his count, that was an extremely generous estimate), he had double those years in his time as a mortal alone. So he could beat her. But did he want to?

Finally, he made a decision and gave a signal to Risa. If the Wood Exalt was surprised, she didn't show it as she rounded up the unit and led them back to the barracks.

[Peaceful solution for now...]

Pheonix nodded at Web's answer. It did make sense, though now Pheonix's mind turned to why Dace had turned on Web.

While they hadn't broadcast the Abyssal Exalt, their arrival via Shadowland would have raised questions. So for now Pheonix could ignore how Dace found out about Web's Exaltation.

With that in mind, Dace could have had Web 'sequestered' before - so what new information had he received to make him act now. And can we trust his 'source'?

Pheonix was uncomfortable with idea that an Abyssal was more trustworthy than another source. But I don't know the other source and Web hasn't lied about her Exaltation to us. We KNOW she's an Abyssal - which would make it less likely for her to be able to betray us.

Web remained silent, wondering exactly what the other Exalt had said about her. Apart from breaking her influence so that the Seventh could be rebuilt - what have I done that could be considered 'wrong'? Apart from being of the Black Exaltation type - that is beyond my control.

[The whole 'if people tell you that you're a monster enough times you'll believe it' really does hold true for Web. The question is how many more times will it take for her to start acting like one without regret?]

OOC:

Peaceful solution for now...

Yep smile.gif. Hanzo's analysis of the situation made a lot of sense, so that helped both Dawns to see reasons (in so far as Dawns are even capable of 'seeing reason', LOL).

The whole 'if people tell you that you're a monster enough times you'll believe it' really does hold true for Web. The question is how many more times will it take for her to start acting like one without regret?

Wouldn't the opposite also be true though? Hanzo treats her like a regular person (albeit one with weird dietary requirements), Shaya has protected Web several times, and Tinker has even outright said that Web isn't a monster in his eyes.

OOC:

Wouldn't the opposite also be true though? Hanzo treats her like a regular person (albeit one with weird dietary requirements), Shaya has protected Web several times, and Tinker has even outright said that Web isn't a monster in his eyes.

[Yep the opposite is true too - its just that a lot more view Abyssals as monsters than don't. Pretty much the reason why Web sometimes shows - shall we say - a lack of confidence? As a rogue Abyssal she's walking a fine line between monster and 'slightly odd Exalt'...]

While Web was in her quiet contemplation, Pheonix silently fumed at the assumptions that the Bronze Tiger presence implied. There was a reason why Web didn't go anywhere solo... we did keep an eye on her.

Then Pheonix remembered the last report they had from the Abyssal and Tinker. There was a time she was on her own.... yet the result of that was what we wanted so I'm not inclined to believe she betrayed as in that period. Tinker also corroborated that report - at least as much as he was aware of.

And there was the fact that they already knew of Web's Exaltation - which ironically made it harder for her to actually manipulate them. If only because knowing of it made them more wary.

Hanzo was relieved the two Dawns decided not to fight. Although somewhere in the back of his mind, a voice of cold reason argued against it.

If they were to fight, the resulting chaos and destruction would mean the reconstruction of a large part of Nexus. And this city was in dire need of reconstruction. They even had a wyld zone!

He could draw up a new city plan that would get rid of the wyld zone, would restructure the Ley lines, to properly align them with the elements and spirit world and would strengthen the manses in the city. It would mean a lot of death and destruction, but there would always be mortals around in Creation to help rebuild. He'd ...

Enough

Hanzo actively suppressed those thoughts with a shiver and followed the Chumyo.

((Shall we time skip to the barracks?))

((Shall we time skip to the barracks?))

((I'm fine with that.

I'd also like to have the Dace-Shaya-Mia discussion take place off screen. Shaya and Mia are both mine and I've been controlling Dace in the lead-in scene, so two (if not three) characters in that discussion would be played by me; that's a bit too much like having a discussion with myself xd.png. I'm okay with either skipping straight to the end of the off screen scene, when Shaya returns to the group to share her findings, or with waiting until Hanzo and Web are both ready to skip too - whichever works best for you two.))

[Time skip is fine by me - since both Web and Pheonix are in their own thoughts... usually at this point Pheonix would be venting Essence in an attempt to calm down, but I doubt the barracks have that many Essence-resistant targets...]

While walking back and waiting for the result of the meeting, Pheonix glared daggers at those around. Granted most of them were just following orders - but she still managed to find insult in that.

Considering the increased security, Pheonix couldn't go vent in her usual way. Instead she had to settle for the less-effective method of turning parchment to ash.

Pheonix barely glanced over the words she had written for the reserve battle plans, Dace and his 'informant' had rendered most of them useless anyway. It didn't take long before the plans fell victim to suppressed rage.

Her fist closed over them, crushing the paper. Between her fingers, a red light was briefly visible, before a trickle of black powder escaped from the harsh grip to the table/ground below.

[Web is hiding from Pheonix lol or at least doing her best (without Essence) to stay inconspicuous]

Shaya tried to give Web a reassuring nod as she preceded Dace to his quarters-slash-office, but she knew she probably failed at that. Her strength lay in military leadership - rousing people to action or courage when dealing with military matters - and she was well aware that she lacked in 'interpersonal skills'. Still, she did try.

Walking into Dace's office and signalling for him to close the door behind him, Shaya left the white girl standing outside without as much as a second glance. So far, she hadn't deigned to speak to the woman or ask about her, even though she knew full well that this was likely their saboteur and Dace's source. Nevertheless, some five minutes later the door opened again and the white haired girl was let inside - whatever Dace had said to convince Shaya to listen to her, had worked quickly.

((Skipping a few hours...))

Shaya emerged from Dace's quarters without either her fellow Dawn or the white haired girl. She looked equal parts satisfied, exasperated and tired. Upon entering their own barracks, the first thing she did was pour herself a cup of khaf before sitting down at the table.

When she finally spoke, fatigue sounded in her voice.

"It would seem that our saboteur, and Dace's source, used to be tied to the Bull of the North - a rather infamous Solar Warlord. When the Bull of the North fought the Empress' Tepet Legions, the carnage was so extreme that it ripped a hole in the fabric of Creation and created a Shadowland. Ever since, our young saboteur has dedicated herself to preventing this from happening ever again and she would rather hand the entire East over to the Empress, than risk another large-scale war."

"Of course, that goal set her on a collision course with us and led to both her and Web speaking to various ambassadors. After my speech, when it became apparent that she had failed to sway the ambassadors against us, she felt Web's influence surround them. Not knowing what we do, she assumed that this meant the Neverborn supported the new army and that I was either their servant or their pawn."

"She then turned to Captain Dace, whom she knew to be a loyal servant of the Unconquered Sun, and he persuaded her that I was likewise. Of course, between them, they then came up with a new theory: that one of us was a Servant of the Neverborn and manipulating the others. Captain Dace remembered the report of the unit that found us after we arrived and that they had seen 'shadows' move about Web, so he concluded that she was a Death Knight and that she was playing me. Their plan was to separate Web from the rest of us, to free us from her influence."

She sighed - although she was now able to put the story straightforward enough, it had taken considerable effort to piece together and even remembering the fustercluck of confusion she'd had to cut through, gave her a headache.

"I set them straight on the matter and I think it's resolved now. Our saboteur still opposed the army - for as little good as that will do her - but at least she no longer thinks we're all hapless pawns of the Neverborn. Captain Dace has issued a formal complaint that I brought a Deathknight into his barracks without notifying him, though he has also offered a personal apology for jumping to conclusions. I think he's still none too happy about Web being here - apparently he has had an earlier encounter with a Death Knight and that did not go well - but he'll accept it."

She had addressed Pheonix for the most part of the tale, though she had occasionally turned to the others, but now she turned to Web specifically.

"The saboteur - her name is Mia - requested to speak with you. I told her that she has no right to expect anything after the trouble she caused, but that I'd relay the request. I'm not sure what she wants - maybe she simply wants to verify for herself what I've already told her. You're free to accept or deny as you see fit, though I recommend taking someone with you - Hanzo perhaps - in case she tries something."

After that, she turned to Pheonix again, though her next question encompassed the entire group.

"So, opinions or questions?" It was clear that she wasn't just referring to Mia's request, but to the entire situation.

"And I thought I was bad for conclusion jumping..." Pheonix muttered at the end of the explanation.

Though seeing a Shadowland form first-hand did go quite a way towards settling the oddness of the initial encounter - as reported by Web.

Pheonix had heard of the battle between Tepet and the Bull, and couldn't doubt the after-effects would have had an extreme effect on the mind of any in the area.

The first question that came to mind was:

"Do we know what Exaltation our saboteur carries? Web could only guess at the nature from her brief encounter with the Essence." though it seemed more likely that the Exalt was a Solar - having turned to Dace for aid, it was still possible that she was a Lost Egg.

Web considered the tale as well as the request, it seemed odd - considering the lengths already gone to - for the saboteur to simply accept the outcome after one talk. Though perhaps that is why the request was made.

She waited as Pheonix asked her question, knowing the Exaltation type would be interesting and perhaps help her make up her mind on her answer.

"Do we know what Exaltation our saboteur carries?"

"Didn't I say?" Shaya frowned - apparently, after more than a week in the Underworld and another two days without sleep in Creation, things were starting to slip through the cracks of fatigue.

"She's a Chosen of the Sun. Though not a warrior like me and Dace; I believe she's a diplomat of sorts." While she could clearly feel her own connection to the rising dawn, Shaya lacked the knowledge to classify the five Solar Exaltations.

Hanzo had listened to the report and remained silent for a while. The question in his mind was the same as Pheonix' apparently.

As the Chumyo related that little but oh so interesting piece of information, he immediately remembered and recognized what kind of Solar she meant.

"A Solar diplomat? Then it must be one of the Eclipse Solars. They were the ones that ensured the defeated Neverborn kept to their oaths of surrender by making those oaths perfectly inescapable. For the Primordials." He gave Shaya a meaningful look. "They have a mark like the one Web has." He pointed at Web's forehead.

He cocked his head to the side. "They must be opposites then. I wonder what happens when they meet." He wondered out loud, then he realised what he had just said and added: "I mean, if the Unconquered Sun... all I am trying to say is that there might be trouble. Best not go alone. I'll join Web if she decides to meet with... Mia?"

Part of that last statement was honest concern, the other part insatiable curiosity. He remembered the meeting with Shaya and Dace and that she had reacted very badly to dishonesty, so to be absolutely honest, he added: "Partially to sate my own curiosity, of course."

Then he shook his head and said: "What are the odds? So far - as far as we know - we have met with three Solars in Nexus within a few hours. All of them involved with us in some way. Isn't that strange? That makes five Solars in Nexus at this moment. Shouldn't they be... a rare occurrence?"

[i did make sure Pheonix question wasn't answered in the text before posting it, so I guess Shaya had missed the part out. Lol the incidence of the 5 Solars would be even rarer if they made a perfect circle xd.png]

At Hanzo's realisation and indication, Web displayed her own mark - a red circle with a dot inside. It made for a good comparison - since the previous times she'd had her mark visible it had either been bleeding or Shaya hadn't been present.

"Like this, but producing golden light rather than blood and darkness..." Web clarified, letting her Caste Mark fade away. At least, she assumed the light would be golden based on what she had seen of Solar marks.

To Hanzo's observation about the odds:

"I'd imagine it should be a very rare occurrence."

[Tinker's not going to like the implications of that I bet..... 5 Solars in one city = big knot to hide]

Then Web finally answered the question of Mia's request. She'd already decided that she would meet up - if only to meet the Exalt that had been (and could still be) working at cross-purposes. The only thing she hadn't been sure on was whether the company would be a good idea.

"I believe I will meet with Mia. I must admit to having some curiosity myself as to why a Solar would aid a power that views her as a monster to be eradicated." The Empress and the Realm's stance on 'Anathema' was well known. "The massacre and Shadowland only explains the anti-war position, aiding the Empress on the other hand seems... " Web tried to find a polite way of saying the next part, and settled on, "... 'anti-self-preservation.'"

"I'd be willing to take company along - though wouldn't that indicate a lack of trust or even worse that I'm planning something?" Web voiced her concern about the presence of another.

Pheonix couldn't believe that she'd heard Web correctly.

"A lack of trust?! Perhaps this 'Mia' should have thought of that before approaching Captain Dace. She didn't show us trust - so why should we trust her?"

Of course the Fire Exalt had either accidentally overlooked the last part of Web's statement or deliberately ignored it. Knowing Pheonix - it was the ignoring part so she could at least rant at something.

Shaya frowned when she saw Web's caste mark.

"Yes, the shape is the same."

She offered no further comment - she was beginning to think that she needed to revisit her stance on Web's claim that Abyssals were fallen Solars, but now was not the time to start that discussion.

"I have to agree with Pheonix," she continued, "Mia has shown that she's willing to blindside us and I'm not sure what she wants with you - best to take someone as back-up in case she tries something."

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

[Yeah, Shaya's not liking the implication of the similar Caste Marks.

So how's Tinker taking the news of Solar Saboteur and the numbers?]

Web hoped the frown was not for her using Essence without any warning to display her Mark, and nodded in agreement. She may not have liked the idea - but she could see the possibility of a double cross.

"Agreed on that. At least with an observer present, there's no room for false accusations afterwards."

Web also couldn't blame Dace for his reservations about her presence - since that seemed to stem from previous interactions with her Exalted kin. It would make things awkward however - since while they were within the Tiger barracks she suspected she'd be under close observation.

((Tinker is probably reaaaaaally wanting to talk to his circlemates, but he can't leave unnoticed right now xd.png.))

"It's decided then: you'll go together."

Shaya rose from the table and stretched gingerly - she hated to admit it, but she was looking forward to getting some sleep.

"You're free to speak to Mia now - I believe she's still in Dace's office - or wait until the morning."