Thaelasan

A Kingdom Forged Is a Kingdom Earned

Once the King had left, Logan merely nodded respectfully to him before turning to Alexander. His mind had been racing with plans, thoughts and ideas. One such thought was the area to the south, near the old human castle Vigilance, with its valuable minerals and underground roads.

"Alexander, look more into the area around Vilglence... We need those minerals to improve our enclave." Logan whispered towards the old man, who quietly nodded. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper and a pencil made of charcoal.

"Once we get back, I'll arrange for an survey With any luck we'll be ready to move out within two days." Alexander whispered back as he finished writing on the piece of paper. The two were not really pay attention until the Nephelisi began handing out golden feathers. There was something about her that bugged Logan, why was she being this generous to the other races?

"If the situation involved sending soldiers to man a fort, will our request be granted?" Asked Elise, once again thinking with brutal honesty and not with subtle tact. Alexander looked at Elise with a cold hard glare.

"W-what my lord's companion means is that-" Alexander began to say, trying to defuse the potential situation , but he was completely cut off by Logan.

"What she means is that can we rely on you to fight, and not harbor our refugees?" Said Logan, not caring if he sounded like an censorkip.gif***. What he needed was the cold hard truth, not half-lies and promises for aid. Alexander was gasping for words, he knew that this was a diplomatic incident waiting to happen.

Edited by Lore_Master

(( Logan already HAS a castle. The only reason I mentioned Argoth and the other two was the mere fact that they were replacing kings that were there, in Argoth's case, or being the first kings and queens of their species, as I stated. Logan shouldn't have NEED of Vigilance, it was one of the first human castles founded. My apologies for the confusion. ))

((The idea I had for the wastes was that most of humanity was living underground, where there is more ground water and food, and less dangerous beasts. The castle would be most likely broken down due to the lack of resources and the lack of need to repair it. Hence why Logan was surprised he had a kingdom.

But, I edited it so that Logan wanted the minerals in the area, and not the castle.))

((Nephelisi aren't trusted it seems.... or at least not by ones who thought them myth. @everyone Also feel free to decline the feather, or turn it into a Quill.))

Ariana looked at Elise and Logan as their questions were asked. The armour worn by the female companion indicated that she was a warrior, and that explained her bluntness and possibly that of Logan as well.

"Nephelisi are not famed for our fighting prowess, but should our forces be needed to fight, then yes - we will fight." Ariana replied clearly to Elise's original question, wondering what the Elders would say about her promise... although they would agree on the urgent nature of the information that had been spoken of.

To address Logan's concern of harboring refugees, Ariana stated:

"If by refugees, you mean those that are unable to fight due to advanced age or the lack of it, then they can still seek shelter with us - however they would still be assisting the war effort. Our people would instruct them in the ways of treating wounds - and those medics can help keep the front-line fighters in condition."

She could see Alexander, a scholar by the looks of his dress, doing a fair impression of a fish out of water at his lord's blunt speech. She inclined her head towards him before adding, to try and ease his mind about offence being taken.

"No need to worry. Desperate times do call for desperate measures and the need for formality and tact is often forgotten during such times."

(( Well then cut my face off and call me a zombie, I feel like a dumbass. I had forgotten your skills that I can say honestly rival mine in creating realistic plots. Touche, my dear man, touche. ))

Marcus Wright, owner of Castle Aquarius

Marcus took the Nephelisi feather and held it with care. Even though it was durable, he didn't want to ruin it on accident. The feather was a gift, and a revered one by his people. Nephelisi feathers made excellent quills, and also had a magical quality that could bear any message to their Capital, Windholme. Stuffing the feather into one of his various pockets, Marcus thanked the girl but she had already walked away, handing more feathers to other members of the congregation. This worried him slightly, Nephelisi feathers were extremely rare, due to the fact that the species they came from stayed isolated from others. To simply give them away carefree would drive down their price. But he resolved to have a word with the girl later. For the time being, he would have to try and get to know his fellow representatives.

An idea came to mind. What if they met every other week, for as long as it took for Graul to be sealed away? He stood up once more. "Fellow members of Candor, I have a most interesting idea. I propose that we meet every other week, to discuss needs of your individual species, and to formulate plans about the coming evil. If the Aspect of Fury is truly as powerful as our wise Magi speaks of, then we must become united, as one, in the face of his coming terror. In addition, I propose that we all form an alliance. An alliance of which has never before been seen on Candor, an alliance that shall guarantee ourselves and our children and our children's children a place in the distant future. I propose that we create, for we must, the United Nations, UN for short. Stand together brothers and sisters, for we face this threat together!" At the last sentence, Marcus thrust his hand up into the air. He was worried still, for Graul would destroy the world as they knew it, and there would be nothing but bitterness and rage left. Rage was the worst offense, for Graul fed upon it, and if he grew powerful enough to devour the wise Magi, then their very existence was doomed to destruction.

[Winner of the Most Original Name of the Year award]

Edited by Astrodeath311

((xd.png, sounds good to me. Plus its only one feather per representative so not that many extra to flood the rarity - plus considering the situation... the Nephelisi can't stay aloof from the rest for much longer....))

Ariana considered the words of the Aquassal leader, and found no reason to object the proposal.

"This seems a wise course of action. I agree to the formation of this United Nations. I have but one question, where shall these fortnightly meetings be held should the council of leaders agree to its formation?"

Logan looked over to Elise, as the Nephelisi explained that they would fight, and teach any refugees would be taught the arts of medicine. She nodded once the Nephelisi was done talking, and took a step backwards. She then looked at Ariana and, to the surprise of Logan, actually gave a small smile.

"I am satisfied with your answer" Elise said before she clasped her hands and placed them around her sword. She then returned her ever watchful gaze upon Logan, making sure no harm came to him. Logan then listened to the Aquasal as he began talking about a having a bi-weekly meeting, to discuss each species needs. The idea in itself was good, the demon could easily exploit everyone's weak spots and bring them down more easily. But...

"I do like the idea, but there is no way we can afford the time for this meeting. We're mostly running on a timed clock, and every day counts. If there was a way we could communicate without physically being there, then I'm all for the idea." Logan said with a eased up tone. Alexander by this point was mostly quietly, muttering something as he read one of the books he brought over. Logan did really like the idea, but he had to think realistically. An alliance is a necessity, but how can he contribute when his race had achieved a state of self-efficiency.

"Hm. Here, I suppose. It's the closest to all of us. Are there any other objections?" Marcus said, thoughtfully. He directed his last sentence to the entire body. He addressed them all with his eyes, hand on his chin like the Thinker. Marcus looked behind him and frowned. Much time had passed since he'd arrived. The fish were most likely fed. Sighing, he directed his attention back to the congregation and matters on hand. Fish were definitely less important than the fate of a continent.

Edited by Astrodeath311

Xiri thanked the Nephelisi for her generous offers, taking the feather gently. She listened intently to the conversation that followed, noting all the rulers opinions. Marcus stood and made a bold proposal; the nations unite. He said they would be called the United Nations. What a clever name.

Xiri looked behind her at her advisors, guards, and head scholars. They nodded in aproval.

Xiri finally voiced her thoughts. "My friends, this proposal is a bold one to say the least. Nevertheless, I and my people accept, and you may add Evendale to the United Nations. We will open our forgerys to any else in the alliance, and provide any assistance we can to those who ask it. The armies of Evengale are not as large as somd but strong and swift. We offer you all we can provide, you have our bows. I have no objection to holding our meetings here." She said solemnly.

Edited by chicbecause

Argoth thanked the Nephelesi representative for her generous gift, taking the time to examine the golden feather. It was unique, as every single feather that the Nephelesi had was different by a small detail. He then got out a small case from his pocket, placing the feather inside and then returning it into his bag. He looked around, watching the other people around.

"I do think that the plan for our union is a bit bold, to say the least, but nevertheless I agree to the United Nations, since an allance is required for the survival of our races. We, the Gruns are fierce fighters and we have adapted many fighting styles for our warriors to learn. If you need reinforcements at any time, either send a messenger with a request for assistance or inform the Nephelesi, since we are neighbours with them and I will come to help you. I will also seek the revival of our own Blood Blades to assist you in the fight and support the others with morale. I've got a question, though: what should we pursue in pereparation? Should we study more in medicine to assist the Nephelesi for when the fight comes, or should we actually create more villages and towns to increase the population of the world? And Logan, can we assume you will supply the nations with your famous catapult constructs?"

(( Blood Blades are warriors that use the blood of their enemies to strengthen themselves. ))

((Now I have the image from the end battle in' the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'.... the Giant Eagles carrying and dropping large boulders xd.png))

[i'll post a wrap-up when I get home from fishing. I do expect that all the other species will accept to the UN, but if you don't you may be hurting our chances at the endgame battle. Of course, this is up to Thael. xd.png]

(( ALRIGHT THEN. BEGIN. ))

King Davian soon exited the throne room after their conversation. He had the air of extreme pleasure and excitement.

"Graul will not know what hit him! I have high hopes for you all." he nodded approvingly. "Now comes the boring, political stuff we all knew was approaching. Your writs."

Davian approached each of the newly crowned kings and queens and handed them a small note. The note stated the name of their kingdom, their name, and their current species.

"These are your deeds. Should you at any time wish to change any of the information on these deeds, come back to me in Raldunis and we may use magic to reform your kingdom how you see fit. Each of you have 10,000 citizens from the year you have been monarchs and from what I've given you. Now begins the true test."

The Grand Magi reentered the room, frowning.

"Also, the stars tell me that there is a grand danger approaching, one that shall infest your very body and those around you. You should take great care within the coming year to set up defenses against it." he said cryptically.

"Finally, my newly crowned kings and queens of the land, you must remember to be firm, but not harsh; strong, but not tyrannical; and above all, honest, but not naive." Davian said. "And with that, you may all go about your business. I expect great things from each of you!"

Marcus watched as King Davian complimented each of the attendees and handed them writs that declared them the kings or queens of each of their states. The writs themselves declared their name, castle name, and species. Marcus was given one of these. Though he was inheritor of Castle Aquarius, the Aquasals capital, and current legal owner of it, he did not feel as though he was fit to become the actual ruler of the Aquasals. There had never even been one in the entire history of their species. They'd all been nomadic traders, and even settling into a castle had been hard. His people were restless. They longed to travel throughout the continent. In fact, some actually had left his district to try and get to know the other species better and to trade.

Marcus sighed. The King did not understand the Aquasals situation. He resolved to have a word with the man after the other representatives left. He put the matter at the back of his mind and waited for the other representatives to decide on the United Nations. "Yes, King Davian. Thank you, sir." Marcus said, then spoke to the representatives, "I ask each of you to decide on the United Nations now, before we all leave and return to our respective castles. If you decline, you are completely free to join the UN later. Just be aware that if you never actually join, you may be dooming your country."

Edited by Astrodeath311

((@chic Giant Eagles/Griffons/Nephelisi - same sort of thing right? laugh.gif ))

Ariana accepted the writ off King Davian, knowing that the paperwork was just as important to formalize the crowning.... although technically speaking she hadn't had her coronation. The Elder council still held power - and Ariana had no wish to displace them. Alienating the Elders by insisting on her own right of power and rule would not be beneficial.

The Grand Magi's warning of an internal danger worried her greatly.... and reinforced her resolve to concentrate on medical advancements. The choice of words used made her suspect that a Plague of supernatural origins would soon strike the nations.

".....one that shall infest your very body...." That sounds like disease.. yet one that is very virulent.

The royal writ was placed securely in her flight bag - Nephelisi generally did not carry much on their flights, but a small pouch for important documents/items wasn't all that rare.

Ariana spoke only to reaffirm her support of the UN and her races membership within such an organisation.

[Not really. I imagine the Nephelisi have wings and thus are enabled to flight, therefore flying bowmen are a very strong and dangerous force to have because you cannot defend against it with fortifications. I can imagine that if they were armed with fire arrows they'd be able to rain hell across a battlefield. Of course, you can TRY to pick up a boulder and feel like Griffons from Narnia, but I don't think that would be possible. I'm thinking that the Nephelisi are bird-people, not big-ass griffons; therefore there's a certain weight limit. #LongestOOCEver]

Marcus Wright, King of the Aquasals

Marcus looked at the Nephelisi with admiring eyes. He tried to formulate what they could do on a battlefield. Walking over to Ariana, he said, "I imagine that with wings, you are capable of flight? If so, then your use on a battlefield may not be limited simply to medics, even though you could be nearly anywhere extremely quickly. With wings, you can be anywhere quickly, so if one were to arm a Nephelisi with a bow and arrows... I shudder to think of what a dozen flying Nephelisi could do to an encampment given the proper training with a bow and lit arrows. It's a terrifying prospect. I do know that your species is pacifistic but in desperate times come desperate measures. I think that the Nephelisi should attempt to make contact with the Dragons of the Mountains and enlist their aid. Flying is a very strong tool in a proper theater of war." Marcus paused for a quick breath, then continued, "However, this is all speculation. If your species is incapable of flight, then you can forget all of what I said. I've heard that the Elves are very famed archers. Perhaps you should send some of your people to learn from them in the coming battles, seeing as you are now the Queen of Windholme. Perhaps this is not the best time to talk strategy. I imagine you must be very flustered from being so suddenly crowned queen of your people. I'm here trying to think how I'm going to assert my rule over my people, nomadic traders who don't think they need to respect a ruler because they've wandered throughout the land all their lives. I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to turn a merchant race into a warrior race." The room had gotten colder, and Marcus shivered despite there being a fire still blazing in the fireplace. There were servants refueling it and stoking it, so why was he so cold? The room was warm but his body was cold. Perhaps it was the news of Graul, and the sudden kingship. There had not even been a coronation! Marcus shook his head to clear his thought and focused it on tasks at hand. He tried to imagine how they would even defeat Graul, when the very mention of his name brought about such fear in him. How could they hope to defeat that which cannot be slain?

Well, now there was a shocker.

Logan was just appointed king of the humans, something he still couldn't believe. It was roughly a thousand years ago the last human king was still alive. Back home, Logan was respected and well-regarded as a warrior and researcher, his only concern was how he was gonna convince the others within the same sphere of influence to accept his position. He'll cross that bridge when he got to it, for now, the warning the magi was now the biggest thought on his mind.

"one that shall infest your very body and those around you... sounds like a virus. Even if the wastes have toughened us up, its highly likely it'll be unnatural, and ravage our bodies..." Logan thought, ignore the conversation between the Nephelisi and Aquasal. He motioned over Alexander and began to converse with him in a quiet manner.

"We're not getting any sleep tonight, we're calling all the scientists and researchers when we get back. We need to come up with plans regarding this virus, and a vaccination if needed. Once we're done with the meeting, then we can focus on getting those minerals, we're reviving the Lance Project." Logan quietly said to Alexander, The Lance Project was meant to create weapon capable of both melee and range combat, but it was drawn up before the last human city in the wastes fell. They might be few in numbers compared to the other races, but Logan's plan was to make up for the lack in numbers for the impressive technology his kind will create.

Ariana listened to Marcus' proposal.

"Flight is one of our gifts. And indeed desperate times do call for desperate measures. As soon as I return to Windholme I'll send an emissary to the Dragons. At least Nephelisi and Dragons share the love of flying." She paused briefly,

"As to learning archery, I would be honored if the Elves consented to teach their skill. Although, like you, I have to work out a way of convincing a pacifistic race that there is a need to bear arms."

"What do you think the Great Mage's warning actually means?" Ariana asked Marcus,

"I suspect it refers to some sort of plague - yet not one that is known to the peoples of Candor."

(( LOOK AT LORE MASTER GO GUYS. SO BEAUTIFUL. HE'S GONNA MAKE SOME censorkip.gif. HE'S GONNA FORGE IT. ))

King Davian sat, alone in his quarters, to collect his thoughts. Then, he realized he had forgotten something and hurried back out into the meeting hall.

"Goodness! How could I have forgotten? Here, each of you take one of these crystals.." he said, hurriedly handing them out.

"These will allow us to communicate freely even while we are away. I'm sure they will come in handy." he smiled warmly. "They were made by the Grand Magi, so I trust that they're effecient."

Marcus Wright, King of the Aquasals

"Yes, actually. I've formulated a theory about the plague: what if it's been made specifically for each of our species? Of course, this could be completely wrong, so you shouldn't quote me on it," Marcus said, but was interrupted from continuing by King Davian giving each of the representatives stones that would allow them to communicate with each-other, no matter how great the distance. He said to Ariana, "I suppose this means the meeting has come to a close. With these stones, we'll be able to speak at any distance, so this actually opens up a very large tactical advantage for us. I also believe that the Grand Magi has all sorts of neat enchantments, charms, potions, and magical items for us that if not strengthen our chances, add some quality-of-life changes. For example, using the stone could theoretically allow us to speak across an entire battlefield. Do you know what this means? Ariana, I think that you should go to the Elves along with the Nephelisi you send. When the final battle comes, as it is fated so, you must accompany your fellow Nephelisi into the air and strike from above. Using the stones, we can have instantaneous contact, so we can exchange orders in real-time. This is a most amazing discovery. Also, if the Grand Magi made these stones, then it's only fit for him to carry one as well. I shall try to use them when I return to my new castle and people." Marcus's normally smooth forehead was creased because of a frown, indicating that he was deep in thought. The stones granted a certain tactical advantage: granting the power to issue instant messages to the fellow kings and queens of Candor. In their campaign against Graul, Marcus had no doubt that they would prove extreme value.

Ariana accepted the com-stone from King Davian as it was offered.

"I understand the theory - and it is without any more information - a sound one."

She considered the plan Marcus outlined.

"Yes, I believe that would be a good course of action.... perhaps if the other Nephelisi see their Queen taking the threat seriously enough to consider the path of violence herself, then they'd be more likely to follow...."

"One of the Elders can seek out the Dragons and ask their aid. The rest of the Elders can organize the thinkers and medics towards a solution for this plague." Ariana seemed to be making plans of her own for her return.

"Although before I travel with a group into the Elven Lands, I should ask permission from the Ruler of Evengale as well as request the training in bows."

Xiri remained silent, listening to the conversation and choosing to not voice her opinions unless required. She took the crystal, thanking the king graciously.

"The dragons are a necessary asset in the coming war, as we will need all the help we can get. May I also suggest building roads, we will need a faster way to transport goods and armies if we plan to win this war, which I suspect we all do. I agree wholeheartedly with my lord Marcus, the Nephelisi should use their airborne advantage to its fullest, in the time of battle. As for the 'plague' as you call it, I belive we should take desperate measures to unsure proper hygiene and nutrition is spread throughout all our lands, thus lessening the amount of the weak that the plague will surely take first. If we can instill health in our land, it protects us against being completely overcome by a sickness we know nothing about. Also having healthy people strengthens our armies and the morale of our people." She stated, after much thought.

"I would be honored to open Evengale to the Nephelisi. As well as provide training in archery." She added without the slightest hesitation.

[i've a feeling that my father would like your taste in color, CB.]

Marcus Wright the Aquasals King

Population: 10,000

"Good. Very good. There are highways leading to and from my province, because we are traders. We place a greater emphasis on communication on the outside world than the leafy elves, but I mean no offense. Indeed, the Dragons will be a necessary asset. They could be used for all sorts of things, but what comes to mind is transportation of people and cargo, and they could be used in battle as well. I shall take your suggestion of health to mind. Constructions on public restrooms and sewers will commence as soon as I return to Aquarius. Also, Xiri, would you mind if I sent some of my Aquasals to learn the ways of the bow as well? I think I'll be forced to send more to the frigid wastelands of the North where the Grun reside to learn swordsmanship as well... Not to mention the fact that we would all have to build siege equipment." Marcus said in quick reply to the Elf's statement, sounding exasperated. He thought some more about what he would say to his people, both to address them now as his subordinates and to make them accept the fact that he was the king now. High King Davian's unexpected promotion of each of them had sent him to wit's end. He knew he was not close to insanity, no matter however he felt like it. Marcus sighed. He felt as though there was nothing he could do. Tell his people that he was now their king? Fine. Turn them into warriors? Impossible! The way of the coin was all that his people knew. The Grun were born as warriors, molded by the frosty wastelands of the North. The Humans were born into it likewise; forced to survive in the wastes, underground no less. Even the Elves had trained themselves extensively in the art of archery, but what could the Aquasals do against an enemy that could not be bought, or even reasoned with?

[starting to regret my choice of the Aquasals a little bit.]

Edited by Astrodeath311