Snowytoshi

Rabbits

So there's a horse topic, a dog topic, and a cat topic- why not one about rabbits?

Please feel free to share pictures/ tell stories in this thread or share your thoughst on some important issues involving rabbits (breeding, meat, etc.). Just please be polite!

I'll post pictures of my rabbits soon, though the ones in my siggie are pretty accurate descriptions. Not to mention that clicking on the black and white ones lead to my blog which has pictures of said rabbits wub.gif

I had two rabbits once. Lovely animals. They passed away years ago at age 12 and 16. I found it not nice that all the world seemed just to wait till my old bunny passed on. My uncle (who bred rabbits as he was younger) even counted the weeks after my rabbit got 14 - always saying "another 3 weeks and he becomes ragout HAHAHA". Funny really....

My mother too...

She found it 'funny' that I wouldn't eat rabbit meat. She said it was just because I had rabbits and so she tried to pass the meat as that of some other animals. I never ate it. (Tried yes, but I really never ate it.)

I think the meat has a horrible taste.

My rabbits weren't of any specific breed. Max looked like a blue dutch (LINK) while she was a fuzzy tricolor. My dad actually caled her a bursted cushion because of her fluffy-ness xd.png

Bunnies are cute, but the only experience I've had with one was quite annoying. He kept pooping in his bed and sleeping in his litterbox... we ended up returning him to the little farm attraction thing where we'd adopted him from so he could go back to living in their big warren. >___<

I had two rabbits once. Lovely animals. They passed away years ago at age 12 and 16. I found it not nice that all the world seemed just to wait till my old bunny passed on. My uncle (who bred rabbits as he was younger) even counted the weeks after my rabbit got 14 - always saying "another 3 weeks and he becomes ragout HAHAHA". Funny really....

My mother too...

She found it 'funny' that I wouldn't eat rabbit meat. She said it was just because I had rabbits and so she tried to pass the meat as that of some other animals. I never ate it. (Tried yes, but I really never ate it.)

I think the meat has a horrible taste.

My rabbits weren't of any specific breed. Max looked like a blue dutch (LINK) while she was a fuzzy tricolor. My dad actually caled her a bursted cushion because of her fluffy-ness xd.png

Indeed. A lot of people seem to have rather nasty views about rabbit. I tell people that I own three and they recount some awful tale of releasing their bunny into the wild or how stupid rabbits are. Unfortunately most people seem rather misguided when it comes to rabbits- at the shelter I volunteer at a 13 pound rabbit came in recently. She was left in a apartment in a cage caked with feces, that was too small for her to even lie down in sad.gif Her owner apparently was fine with leaving her to die there dry.gif

However- good for you having your rabbits live so long. 16 is pretty uncommon and 12 is quite good as well smile.gif

I breed rabbits (got started by an old boyfriend of mine). I breed lilac rabbits (breed) because I like their color and their personality.

I've one who is a GC (just have to go get his number tattooed in when I have time to go to a show) who's name is Snoopy. He always seems to sire the prettiest babies :3

I breed rabbits (got started by an old boyfriend of mine). I breed lilac rabbits (breed) because I like their color and their personality.

I've one who is a GC (just have to go get his number tattooed in when I have time to go to a show) who's name is Snoopy. He always seems to sire the prettiest babies :3

Aww wub.gif I'd love to see pictures.

I don't have any pics of my rabbits right now (except for on fb and I want to keep that private tongue.gif)

but I can send post a lilac picture so you get an idea of the breed user posted image this is fromg the America Livestock Breeds Conserancy website. Here is the lilac page.

The lilac breed is threatened in the United States not by numbers but by a huge amount of close lines being bred to each other (and inbreeding)

Part of this problem is that we have a bunch of breeders on the west coast, and a bunch in the midwest/east coast but none inbetween isolateing lines.

Aww- they are pretty. We have a rabbit at our shelter with dutch markings and a very similar color to that wub.gif

I know and I've seen lilac dutches they are gorgeous wub.gif

I actually wanted to breed dutches but my mom said no. There coloring is very hard to get and they are coloring dependent

Edited by brairtrainer

I have a rex x harlequin and a dutch! their names are Frank and Mimzy! i will get pictures up later after i have found something good in the AP or give up biggrin.gif

I <3 bunnies and rabbits, though it's really sad for me to those who are allergic. :/ They miss all the fun. My mother says that bunnies poop too much so I'm probably neve going to get one.

I <3 bunnies and rabbits, though it's really sad for me to those who are allergic. :/ They miss all the fun. My mother says that bunnies poop too much so I'm probably neve going to get one.

Of course rabbits can be litter box trained and their poops are just small and marble sized anyway wink.gif

My buns are litter trained! and as long as we clean their cage out, they use the litter box

That's what I told her, (and the same thing my sister told her about turtles.. She fidged a little bit) I am definately not getting any bunnies/rabbits anytime soon. At least my friend has some! happy.gif

Here are mine(because i have time now!) i need to get more pics of them wub.gif

Here is my Harlequin/rex mix Frank smile.gif he does not have complete harlequin colors like i wished(oh so pretty)

user posted image

and my Mimz smile.gif

user posted image

(i can add more pictures later upon request)

Also I'm starting a bit of a debate right now sooo...

What are people's opinion on breeding rabbits?

Please note that I mean no offense to anyone who breeds rabbits on these forums.

My personal views are that since there are currently thousands of rabbit dying shelters breeders are taking homes away from shelter pets. However if there must be breeders I'd prefer that they be responsible. A bunny came into the shelter I volunteer at after she was bought for $5 to a fifteen year old with no knowledge of rabbits. I have talked to a breeder whose rabbits live outside in a barn with little to no time out of their cage. To me this doesn't feel responsible.

However I have talked to breeders who get their rabbits fixed after they no longer breed them and keep them indoors. This is my opinion is the 'better breeder'.

So what do you think? For breeding? Against it?

I am completely against it. I'm glad that my rabbits came to me altered. I tried to save two rabbits my sister pulled out of a rabbit's nest but it didn't work and both died sad.gif

I don't like the idea of how many rabbits are not going home, sitting in shelters or left to die.

I am completely against it. I'm glad that my rabbits came to me altered. I tried to save two rabbits my sister pulled out of a rabbit's nest but it didn't work and both died sad.gif

I don't like the idea of how many rabbits are not going home, sitting in shelters or left to die.

At the shelter I work at we have gotten calls about 6 rabbits in the last couple weeks and most shelters are more full then ours. Most of the shelters in my part of the state are full to bursting and aren't even accepting surrenders sad.gif

And yet just today there was the annual agricultural fair- $20 per rabbit to whoever wants one. And yes they do come with pedigrees, but none of mine have pedigrees and all are wonderful wub.gif Can anyone look at Joshua (the brown one) and tell me in all honesty that there's something wrong with him? Guess what- he sat at my shelter for nine months.

Edited by Snowytoshi

I used to own a rabbit sad.gif

But sadly the story is that someone stole it, skinned it, and left it on our porch. It saddens me to even mention it, this is why I'll never have another rabbit.

How in the censorkip.gif could ANYONE EVER DO THAT TO SOMEONE!?!??

Well, I guess my mom got into an arguement because he saw the guy sneaking around by our home gate. And he got like all defensive and ran off, he also said something about us paying, I don't know he was a weird guy mad.gif

Anyways, we kept out rabbit in the back yard her name was rosebud. The next day my mom opened the door, the rabbit was skinned on the front door (tearing up) with the fur right beside it.