Snowytoshi

Rabbits

Double posting to bring this back to the front, I have a question for all the rabbit owners out there.

My sister has recently got back into breeding rabbits and bought a pre-junior trio of rhinelanders. Here's the problem we are having, two of the rabbits in the trio (a doe by the name of Clover, and the buck with the name Hazel-Rah) have begun to settle in quite nicely. Both run the table and are slowly being trained to allow themselves to be flipped.

Lily, our other doe, however is not. I'm pretty sure she's scared and not a mean rabbit, but she has been baring her teeth, stamping, and growling since she arrived. She's a young doe so I know she can't be wanting kits, and she seems afraid when ever we put our hands in the cage. Has anyone had to deal with a rabbit like this before? Right now we're trying to treat her with carrots when she comes up to us but she refuses to eat them and I don't want to try bananas because rhinelander judges are picky about weight of the rabbit.

Edit: and now we just lost clover to bloat sad.gif we are unsure what caused it but we are having her necropsied and the breeder is more than willing to replace her. But that leaves us with the buck and the (now I'm thinking territorial) doe.

How is it going with your rhinelanders? Beautiful breed. Not really any up here to speak of. That would be an awesome breed to bring up. It wasn't coccidia that caused the bloat, was it?

I have two holland lops, Thor and Freya. They are neutered and spayed house pets. Thor is blue, Freya is a fawn tort.

One English angora, Mr. P. He is another fawn tort. Mr. P is disabled, a friend gave him to me because he has such a good personality and she couldn't do anything with him since was born with splay. She knows I spin and have litter trained rabbits so I could take care of a special needs rabbit. She raises show and meat rabbits. Mr. P makes wonderful fluffy wool! He is such a goofy little love too. He has also been neutered.

I really got into having wool rabbits, and found two French angoras in the fall from a woman who needed to downsize for the winter. They were very affordable so I ended up with

Indy and Solo. They have really nice wool!

Recently another local show rabbit lady who breeds holland lops ended up with a buck that carries the fuzzy gene. She had one lovely chestnut doe from a July litter that ended up being a fuzzy lop. Word gets around fast in the local rabbit community that someone likes taking care of wool rabbits, so lo and behold I have a fuzzy lop, Andi.

I had 2 rabbits as a child. One was a wild one my dad caught (I believe he found it injured and was helping it to re-cooperate [he has a license to do so with raptors; I don't know if you need one for something like a rabbit] ) which we eventually released back into the habitat where it was captured. The other was an adorable lop eared bunny - we (my sister and I) got him when I was maybe 6 years old, and he was a wee little thing (the runt of the litter). Whatever age rabbits can be taken from their mothers is how old he was when we got him (my first grade teacher gave him to us). He was white with medium gray ears, and a medium gray mustache. Cutest little thing ever! Then he grew up and was a complete mess. Due to being a fully intact male, he was rather aggressive and, just like most male animals, sought a mate constantly (finding such in random objects and feet/legs). He pooped everywhere (he never did like litter boxes), smelled horrific (being an intact male, his glands were very active), etc. We gave him to another teacher a couple years later, who gladly accepted him as a personal pet. So far as I know he lived out his life very healthy and very happy.

I'm not much of a rabbit person but my sister has one.

She doesn't take care of it though.

I make sure it has food and water when I can and I tell her to make sure she takes care of it.

It doesn't get enough attention though and it bites.

Thanks to Bugs Bunny (my childhood hero), I love rabbits. Never owned one, but I think they're adorable! wub.gif

How is it going with your rhinelanders? Beautiful breed. Not really any up here to speak of. That would be an awesome breed to bring up. It wasn't coccidia that caused the bloat, was it?

I have two holland lops, Thor and Freya. They are neutered and spayed house pets. Thor is blue, Freya is a fawn tort.

One English angora, Mr. P. He is another fawn tort. Mr. P is disabled, a friend gave him to me because he has such a good personality and she couldn't do anything with him since was born with splay. She knows I spin and have litter trained rabbits so I could take care of a special needs rabbit. She raises show and meat rabbits. Mr. P makes wonderful fluffy wool! He is such a goofy little love too. He has also been neutered.

I really got into having wool rabbits, and found two French angoras in the fall from a woman who needed to downsize for the winter. They were very affordable so I ended up with

Indy and Solo. They have really nice wool!

Recently another local show rabbit lady who breeds holland lops ended up with a buck that carries the fuzzy gene. She had one lovely chestnut doe from a July litter that ended up being a fuzzy lop. Word gets around fast in the local rabbit community that someone likes taking care of wool rabbits, so lo and behold I have a fuzzy lop, Andi.

It was indeed coccida that caused it. So the breeder made sure to treat his herd before giving us the new doe (who is called American Pi or Pi for short).

I've determined that Lilly (now renamed Posion Ivy) is extremely territoral, since she's fine once we get her out, runs the table, loves being petted, the whole gambit. She also particular about how her cage is, to the point of growling even if we place a treat inside. She is in our basement now since we bred her with a buck who she'd been going back and forth trading wins with and we have our fingers crossed for kits in a few days.

Oops, didn't realize this was a topic that already existed! :o

I have three pet bunnies. Two lops and a netherland dwarf mix~

It was indeed coccida that caused it. So the breeder made sure to treat his herd before giving us the new doe (who is called American Pi or Pi for short).

I've determined that Lilly (now renamed Posion Ivy) is extremely territoral, since she's fine once we get her out, runs the table, loves being petted, the whole gambit. She also particular about how her cage is, to the point of growling even if we place a treat inside. She is in our basement now since we bred her with a buck who she'd been going back and forth trading wins with and we have our fingers crossed for kits in a few days.

Wow, my Rhines were never even remotely aggressive in any respect. They were definitely among my top friendliest ever breeds to raise, along with Havanas, Jersey Woolies, and Himalayans.

If it ends up passing onto her kits, might I suggest fostering them? I had some aggressive does (in other breeds, especially Netherlands and Brits), and sometimes fostering the kits would keep it from being passed on because they were learning it from their mum.

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I had a friend with a pet rabbit, it was pretty cute and very soft.

On the other hand, they taste great in paella valenciana.

Prey animals as pets is a confusing concept to me.

I have a mini lop named Stormy. Her story is rather interesting.

Her litter was born on my birthday. Don't believe me? Well, it is true. I share a birthday with my beloved rabbit. She was the runt, but still adorable. I first held her when she was just a wee fuzzball, able to fit in the palm of my hand. She was pitch black then, and her tiny ears sat against her head. I named her Stormy then and there, because her dark color reminded me of a storm.

When she could be taken home, I took her home. She is a show rabbit, and currently lives outside in a hutch.

Her litter was born on my birthday. Don't believe me? Well, it is true. I share a birthday with my beloved rabbit. She was the runt, but still adorable. I first held her when she was just a wee fuzzball, able to fit in the palm of my hand. She was pitch black then, and her tiny ears sat against her head. I named her Stormy then and there, because her dark color reminded me of a storm.

When she could be taken home, I took her home. She is a show rabbit, and currently lives outside in a hutch.

Do you have pictures? She sounds adorable!

Do you have pictures? She sounds adorable!

Not at the moment. And not like I am gonna sneak out with my iPad at 1:44 in the morning to get a picture of a mostly black furred rabbit

I'm conflicted. On the one hand, I had a friend with a pet rabbit, it was pretty cute and very soft.

On the other hand, they taste great in paella valenciana.

Prey animals as pets is a confusing concept to me.

So? I sew fur, rabbit included. Plus I have six who are house pets, some show animals, one disabled (splay leg) angora wool bun, and two who are just pets.

I don't have a problem with people eating rabbit, as long as they aren't mine. It's their choice. Maybe people raise meat rsbbits up here.

People have pet pigs and still eat bacon. Others have pet birds, chicken included, but still eat chicken and eggs. If you had to, eating a cat or dog is doable and happens in different cultures too. Some people think it is hilarious to ask me when I will eat my rabbits. I ask them when they plan on eating their pets. Same concept.

If you have one as a pet and enjoy it as a pet/companion animal, you most likely won't want to eat that particular one.

Edited by LupaWulf

Yep, what LupaWulf said! Unless your particular rabbit is like, going out of its way to be an ass, you probably don't want to eat it. I personally could never eat rabbit, but I'd love to start collecting pelts. I think when my pet bunnies go, I'll get them tanned and keep the fur as a keepsake.

That's so cool, Esko!

Is she doing well in shows? Does she have many legs?

I have an American fuzzy lop doe, Andi. She is a beautiful little one, and just got a best of breed at the show last weekend! I think she has one or two other best of breed (i can't remember if the show A friend took her to this November was a double or single). She has an awesome head and body, lots of the lop people have told me she might get a best in show within the next year when her coat matures and fully fills out.

My french angoras were pitiful at the show, they blew their coats less than a month before. Hardly looked like FAs.

But it was so much fun! I met great people, and awesome rabbits.

user posted image

Teddy is doing so well. He, as well as my two other bunnies, qualified to be my emotional support animal (because I'm disabled). He is enjoying his first day. He has received many treats and scritches from other students. Many pictures have been taken. laugh.gif

Wow, my Rhines were never even remotely aggressive in any respect. They were definitely among my top friendliest ever breeds to raise, along with Havanas, Jersey Woolies, and Himalayans.

If it ends up passing onto her kits, might I suggest fostering them? I had some aggressive does (in other breeds, especially Netherlands and Brits), and sometimes fostering the kits would keep it from being passed on because they were learning it from their mum.

Well now that she's older we've noticed that our rhines seem very catlike. Some of them take a liking to specific people (Poison Ivy and her daughter Witch Hazel love my sister, Tiger Lilly (Witch Hazel's litter mate) hates my sister but loves everyone else, and their brother Ferrari seems to only like me.)

But otherwise they don't seem any different from any other breed I raised. Poison Ivy has settled down with litters and seems to be the happiest when she has a litter.

Edit to avoid double posting:

Seems we've been really lucky with the rhines. My sister just showed at rhinelander nationals in the US (youth division) and the judge not only confirmed that Witch Hazel is our best rabbit in the herd, but she beat a buck who was recieving a lot of attention online. There may be a chance to breed her to the buck later, but right now we're determining if it is worth it since we already have two animals as outcrosses, and cousins to one of the outcrosses from a breeding we did earlier with another breeder.

Edited by brairtrainer

I think that rabbits are really cute, especially the tiny ones. I have had pet rabbits. I don't know their breed but they always looked like this and this.

Years ago, I had a pet rabbit named Prince. He was brown with a white underbelly. Often, he would pick things up and toss them as far as he could. laugh.gif

At a class back when I was in university, my groupmates and I had to buy a live rabbit, watch the butchering process, and cook an entrée using the rabbit meat. There was no way I would eat or taste the meal we made, regardless of how much it looked just like a chicken dish.

I had a pet rabbit 30-something years ago.

Chippy was a rescue of sorts, an adult when we got him. Wild rabbit coloring (Agouti, I think it's called?) with the white belly and cottontail. From what we heard of his background, we believe he'd been wild-caught or injured and raised as a baby, then turned loose to fend for himself. And then at some point, one of my newspaper customers noticed that he was way too comfortable with humans to be truly wild, trapped him, and gave him to me.

He was an odd mix of friendly and nervous... loved being petted if you were sticking your hands through the mesh of the hutch my dad built for him, but freaked out upon being held and acted terrified when we had to bring him indoors. (We would bring him in and keep him in the bathroom for a couple of days when particularly bad nor'easters were predicted and also when Hurricane Gloria came through in 1985.) It was a big hutch; six foot by three foot of mesh and another two foot by three foot wooden shelter on the end. Oddly enough, he took to a harness and leash fairly well. I say fairly because he would panic while being harnessed, but then he'd settle right down as soon as the leash was clipped on and he was allowed to hop around. Quiet for nail clipping, but again, only if it was done through the mesh of his hutch.

I had him for about four years when he suffered (I believe) a stroke; I went out to check his food and water and found him lying on his side partially paralyzed. I spoon-fed him some water and made him as comfortable as possible for the night and my dad took him to be euthanized as soon as the vet opened in the morning.

I have not had a pet rabbit since then, but where I'm living now there is a whole family (families?) of wild bunnies living behind the building. I've seen at least one hopping out of the long grass onto the lawn area and nibbling at the weeds every day since moving here, and I've seen as many as six at a time. Quite a size variety as well, so I know they're breeding out there somewhere. smile.gif

Hi! Bringing this thread up from the dead!

Me and my boyfriend are going to get a bunny later this year. We are already getting a cage and setting up all the things needed for our new little friend, and then just looking for the prefect bunny for us! We live in quite a small apartment and we are putting the cage in the kitchen where there are next to none electrical wires visible (there's one and of course we are covering with appropriate covering), so we can keep the bunny free in the kitchen and the hallway and play with them! Do any of you have any advice for first time bunny owners? I've looked a lot of info up, including their diet (hay available all the time, with something special time to time), entertainment (cardboard boxes to play with, wooden toys), housing (cage over 1,2 meters one side  so they can hop and stretch) and care (petting, housetraining, clipping nails), but I would really appreciate all the advice you have! We are going to get the bunny from a local breeder, we just need to contact them when they have their next litter!

I used to have one white rabbit but he died of cancer last year by the age of 9 . 

Will surely get another rabbit in the future, they make such good pets.

I have had two rabbits. One was a rescue meat rabbit, I named her Stew  - I had to give her up when I moved.(I have a terrible sense of humour when it comes to naming pets. I had a fish named Sashimi once) I also had an angora -I named him Hassi.  Which I found out I was allergic to after a while and had to re home that too. Sadly I gone away from fur and stick around with feathers and scales.

Edited by Starscream

I have a love/hate relationship with rabbits. They’re super adorable as pets, but in the wild they’re a nightmare. Same as cats, really. 

The only thing that I had to do with Rabbits was raising them in the backyard (when I was 11 or 12 )along with some chickens, turkeys and ducks...  I had to feed and water them, kill and clean the rabbits and walk around the neighborhood selling them 'dead or alive', either for meat or as a pet.

Edited by Husky51