Snowytoshi

Rabbits

sad.gif i can't believe anyone could do that. it makes me want to kill the guy and cry at the same time ;(

Oh my @Dragon. That person deserves to be coated in barbecue sauce and bound to a chair for Wobble to maul them.

I have four of them.

Jelly- A cranky female grey/white lion head that has a serious temper.

Belle- A lionhead amputee (back right) that is mainly black but has beautiful coloration. Jelly's sister.

Bean- A white and orangish-brown male jersey wooly. He has this awesome palm-tree marking on his back.

Wobble- A female black velveteen that isn't afraid of anything. She has no problem with the hardwood floors and can open a cabinet. She has knocked both of my cats over and whipped them hard. They flinch when she hops by.

I'll post pictures later.

I used to own a rabbit sad.gif

But sadly the story is that someone stole it, skinned it, and left it on our porch. It saddens me to even mention it, this is why I'll never have another rabbit.

That makes me want to cry... 😥😥

NO that person need to be skinned ALIVE and then turn his skin into a coat and PUT IT BACK ON HIM AND MAKE HIM WATCH!!!!!!!!!!

anyone part of BinkyBunnies?

Edited by IcarusTheDragon

anyone part of BinkyBunnies?

I am, but I don't go there much. Normally I go on Rabbit Retreat smile.gif

I used to own a rabbit  sad.gif

But sadly the story is that someone stole it, skinned it, and left it on our porch. It saddens me to even mention it, this is why I'll never have another rabbit.

That's an awful story- my heart goes out to you sad.gif I know what it's like to lose a rabbit, but I can't even imagine if its death was caused by someone. *sends you a bucketload of hugs*

Edited by Snowytoshi

QUOTE (DragonCap @ Aug 18 2012, 11:06 PM)

I used to own a rabbit

--

My heart goes out to you DragonCap. sad.gif its sad to lose any rabbits but the way you lost yours is too sad.

We had a girl who lost rabbits because her neighbor put anit-freeze in their water. Apperntly her rabbits had beaten his nieces at the county fair and he was mad about it.

Now I breed rabbits so of course I think it is okay (cue booing)

In my area there are no rescue areas for rabbits but plenty of people taking mixed breed rabbits as pets and breeding rabbits for pet and meat. So the only problem is finding pet homes.

Now I breed rabbits so of course I think it is okay (cue booing)

In my area there are no rescue areas for rabbits but plenty of people taking mixed breed rabbits as pets and breeding rabbits for pet and meat. So the only problem is finding pet homes.

Well.. If in your area there are no rescues, then in my opinion its fine (not that you need my approval). What I have an issue with is when the breeders are just putting more baby bunnies into an overcrowded system with no concern as to where they end up. If a breeder just gives rabbits out to whoever has the money even if they're still a child, then those rabbits will most likely be in a shelter, released into the wild, or consigned to a lonely life in a hutch by the end of the year.

However I'm quite aware that not all breeders are like that wink.gif

We had a girl who lost rabbits because her neighbor put anit-freeze in their water. Apperntly her rabbits had beaten his nieces at the county fair and he was mad about it.

Oh my. Rabbits are freaking alive, it is so unhumane to kill a living being on PURPOSE. And the neighbor in your story need some anger management...

Oh my. Rabbits are freaking alive, it is so unhumane to kill a living being on PURPOSE.

Have you ever looked at a rabbit's shelter's website? You'd be surprised just how horribly deluded and sick people are. There was a shelter not too far from where I live that found two rabbits left to die in a Tupperware container!

dry.gif It confuses me so much how anyone can think these kind of things are alright.

However the fact that we don't have a rescue is hard as well, people who want rabbits have to go to pet stores (and may not get the correct information) or if they are in a situation where they must give up the rabbit it is normally the breeders who take it to rehome it. We (my family) did it one year when my field commander had to give up his rabbit. We kept the rabbit until he died as he had cancer sad.gif

Pet stores bother me as so many of them get their rabbits from mills, similar to puppy mills. There was a pet store near me (it's been closed a while now) that had a 'store rabbit' whose teeth had been allowed to grow past his jaw. The store clerk's response to our complaints? "Oh that's just the way he is."

I know. Most of the pet stores around here now either don't keep rabbits or now get them contracted from breeders were breeders are on the hook for x amount per month. Some have a big enough rabbitry they can do it, others don't. A key leader in our area used to fund her rabbitry by breeding and selling mini rex and lion heads to a place that sold them for pets. The same place has small time breeders working at the store so people get the right information.

My cousins used to have a black rabbit named Duncan... Adorable little fella, sadly he got eaten by a fox one day when he was in the backyard. sad.gif

I've always wanted a rabbit of my own though, Duncan was one of the best pets anyone in my family has had.

I had a rabbit named Santa. I liked him/her (we never got a definte answer to what gender it was), but my parents gave him away sad.gif But I got over it b/c the person who got it had other rabbits. Less lonelyness.

I used to have two rabbits who were siblings. I got them from a friend. Neither lived very long though. The runt of the litter was cute and white with grey spots on his back, but he had a messed up leg that constantly got tore up as he hopped around the cage. We tried wrapping it up in bandages and such but they never stayed on long. He died before his sister because of a disease that gave him seizures.

His sister was mostly brown with grey and black patches. She was always more nervous than he was, but one night I don't know how it happened, she got out of the hutch and attacked by a stray. We found her in the neighbor's yard with blood on her face, but she was still alive for a couple more days. The stray damaged her nose, so she had trouble breathing.

when i saw the topic 'Rabbits' i couldent help but think of watership down. ):

I also thought about a horror book involving rabbits.... i did not sleep that night. e.e

You know what always surprises me? How many bad stories people have to tell about rabbits- if someone says they have a cat do you proceed to say 'Yeah I had a cat and he died a horrible death.' I mean what is it about rabbits, that makes us want to tell the most horrible stories possible?

Once when I mentioned I owned rabbits somebody saw fit to tell me all about their lovely career butchering rabbits for meat. Who wants to hear that about an animal they keep as a pet?

Well I'll tell you I've also had myself subjected to how to butcher a chicken (because we had chickens that we treated as pets until fair time and then after we found them a country home because we couldn't keep them in town year around).

Since I've gotten myself into the rabbit world however I've found out that most meat rabbit breeds have nasty strains that are really pretty. Heck the rabbits I raise are considered cream of the crop meat rabbits in france (not over here though thank goodness I don't think I can handle a mean lilac).

If the animal isn't suited for breeding nor a pet I'd rather know that we are putting it to some use and not just killing it like happens with dogs and cats (but thats just me, and I also could not eat a dog or cat so I'm a hipocrite)

Rabbits? They eat my garden.

And the first thing I thought when I saw this thread was "Fuzzy Conspiracy." Don't even ask. xd.png

If the animal isn't suited for breeding nor a pet I'd rather know that we are putting it to some use and not just killing it like happens with dogs and cats (but thats just me, and I also could not eat a dog or cat so I'm a hipocrite)

Though almost any animal can be rehabilitated- there was a rabbit at my shelter who had been abandoned on the side of a highway. He bit almost everyone there and sat at the shelter for two years, now he's been adopted and even though he still has 'attitude' she loves him anyway and he does binkies and lets her cuddle him.

Unfortunately most rabbits are just never given a chance sad.gif

^^But that's just my opinion...

While I know that I do believe that, just like people, you can have just nasty animals (rabbits) I had a mini lop that only liked one of my sisters, but would attack me if I reached in to feed/water/pet/get out/hold/trim nails.

She was 2 1/2 when we got her ad died 7 years later while I was camping with some friends (she died while she was sleeping).

I LOVE RABBITS. They're so... squeee<3 I really want a pet rabbit, but my mom said she had one before and they smelled really bad so she didn't want to get another one :x

Bump unsure.gif

Oh and Stunningfire they're not smell if they're healthy and taken care of properly.

True they don't if their taken care of properly, but a lot of them stink pretty quick (like a lot of dogs, cats, or other animals kept in an area will).

Well I never thought I'd have this problem but suddenly people willing to buy my rabbits dried up >.<. It doesn't help I had a couple of large litters but I was pretty much undersold by people with unrecognized breeds and some mini-rex but aw well, have to sell them so I can breed juniors for my sister but it will be a miricle to find homes for them.

Just thought I'd tell you all what I've been doing lately. I'm currently bonding my two dominant male rabbits together and it's going surprisingly well. Hopefully I'll have a trio by summer time biggrin.gif