Syrup

Stupid Laws

Stupid Michigan Laws~:

-A woman isn’t allowed to cut her own hair without her husband’s permission.

-Adultery (Cheating on your Spouse) is illegal, but can only be punished upon a complaint by the affected husband or wife.

- All bathing suits must have been inspected by the head of police.

- Alligators may not be tied to fire hydrants.

- Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he/she has not been convicted of a felony.

- Anyone can keep their cow on Main Street downtown at a cost of 3 cents per day.

- Couples are banned from making love in an automobile unless the act takes place while the vehicle is parked on the couple’s own property.

- It is illegal for a man to scowl at his wife on Sunday.

- It is illegal to paint sparrows to sell them as parakeets. (How would this work?!)

- It is legal for a robber to file a law suit, if he or she got hurt in your house. (This actually is still used today, sadly)

- No man may seduce and corrupt an unmarried girl, or else he risks five years in prison.

- No person shall throw an abandoned hoop skirt into any street or on any sidewalk, under penalty of a five dollar fine for each offense.

- Persons may not be drunk on trains.

- Putt-putt golf courses must close by 1:00 AM.

Oh, and an awesome one from Canada:

- It is illegal to curse in any language other than French.

-Stupid.

-I imagine so.

-I bet a police officer made that law...

-Well...I would prefer them to not be, so seems OK.

-I am moving to Michigan ASAP.

-OK, good to know

-That is sometimes an issue...

-Less scowling is...good?

-What is this I don't even...

-Dumb, I hate criminals. Obviously.

-OK...

-Sounds like a law I would make. Kids sometimes...

-OK

-??? Just why...

-Hehehe...

In Utah:

Birds have the right of way on all highways.

A husband is responsible for every crime a wife commits in his prescence (Well, wives of Utah, take your husband to a store you like, and have him stand and watch while you steal things I guess xd.png)

A legislator proposed a resolution urging that each TV weather person be required to provide an ice cream cone to every member of the state House of Representatives whenever the forecast was wrong.

Alcohol may not be sold during an emergency.

It is a felony to persistently tread on the cracks between paving stones on the sidewalk of a state highway. (step on a crack, break your mothers back)

It is considered an offense to hunt whales. (WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO FIND ANY WHALES!!)

It is illegal not to drink milk. (Sorry anyone who is lactose intolerant)

It is illegal to cause a catastrophe.

It is illegal to detonate any nuclear weapon. You can have them, but you just can’t detonate them.

No one may walk down the street carrying a paper bag containing a violin. (Only in salt lake county)

One cannot keep more than one cow (Ogden)

Throwing snowballs will result in a $50 fine. (Provo)

Women may not swear. (Logan (I am never going there, i tend to swear on accident))

It is illegal to walk down the street while playing a ukulele on Sunday (My mom heard of this one. I THINK I have it right. I'm not sure if it's real or not, but I think it is.)

In Canada

If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town.

It is against the law to impersonate a foreigner.

It is against the law to make burgers out of polar bears.

It is completely illegal to hit innocent little seal pups over the head with a heavy club – apart from on every day of the year.

It is illegal for clear or non-dark sodas to contain caffeine.

It is illegal to climb trees. (Ah, I like climbing trees... well at least I don't live in Canada tongue.gif)

It is illegal to curse in any language other than French.

It is illegal to eat ice-cream on Bank Street on a Sunday.

It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man (Why would they need to make a law for this?)

Florida's got some douseys:

-Florida (accidentally) banned all computers and smart phones in internet cafes.

-The state constitution allows for freedom of speech, a trial by jury, and pregnant pigs to not be confined in cages.

-Unmarried couples may not commit “lewd acts” and live together in the same residence.

-Doors of all public buildings must open outwards. (does it really matter)

-It is illegal to sell your children. (um, that's kind of a given.)

-You are not allowed to break more than three dishes per day, or chip the edges of more than four cups and/or saucers.

-A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing. (I'm sorry, WHUT?! xd.png )

-If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

-Penalty for horse theft is death by hanging. (Whoa, that seems a bit out-dated.)

-It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

-It is illegal to skateboard without a license. (sorry kids.)

Florida's got some douseys:

-Doors of all public buildings must open outwards. (does it really matter)

-If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

I can actually answer these two.

For the first, yes, it does matter. Ever hear of the Cocoanut Grove fire? Back in 1942, the Cocoanut Grove was the premiere nightclub in Boston, MA. 492 people died in a fire there on November 28 of that year. From Wikipedia, bolding mine for emphasis:

As is common in panic situations, many patrons attempted to exit through the main entrance, the same way they had entered. The building's main entrance was a single revolving door, rendered useless as the panicked crowd scrambled for safety. Bodies piled up behind both sides of the revolving door, jamming it to the extent that firefighters had to dismantle it to enter. Later, after fire laws had tightened, it would become illegal to have only one revolving door as a main entrance without being flanked by outward opening doors with panic bar openers attached, or have the revolving doors set up so that the doors could fold against themselves in emergency situations.

Other avenues of escape were similarly useless: side doors had been bolted shut to prevent people from leaving without paying. A plate glass window, which could have been smashed for escape, was boarded up and unusable as an emergency exit. Other unlocked doors, like the ones in the Broadway Lounge, opened inwards, rendering them useless against the crush of people trying to escape. Fire officials later testified that, had the doors swung outwards, at least 300 lives could have been spared.

As to the one about the elephant tied to a parking meter... back in the 1920s, Ringling Brothers Circus settled its winter quarters in Sarasota, menagerie and all. Back in the day, the elephants were used as work beasts as well as in the shows. Kind of extra-large and super-strong draft horses to haul the really heavy loads from the train yards to wherever the Big Top was being set up, since most circuses traveled by train rather than fleets of trucks back then. It would not be out of the question for the circus to send an elephant-drawn wagon into town for heavy loads, new tent poles for the Big Top, for example. ( http://www.circus4youth.org/res_det.php?res_id=153 has an old photo showing elephants muscling a wagon into position a bit more than halfway down the page. Some other unrelated but interesting photos, both historical and modern, for circus aficionados, but I digress.) Anyway, I can see where it would actually make sense to require the parking fee to be paid whether it was an actual car parked by the meter, or the meter being used as a hitching post for a wagon and whatever critter was pulling it, be that critter a horse or an elephant.

I live in Singapore. The illegal suicide this is real here too. Apparently, to prove a point, if someone jumps, they slap handcuffs on the poor pancake before calling the ambulance to deal with the corpse.

It is illegal to shout offensive words in any public place where I live.

Ouch.So my friend is a delinquent...

Edited by HorseChick

It's against the law to sing off key in the state of NC. lol

Dumb laws in Canada.

- It is illegal to board a plane while it is in flight.

-Comic books which depict any illegal acts are banned. ( Canada must have boring comic books LOL!)

_ In Alberta when released from prison it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse so you can ride out of town.

- It is illegal to whistle in Petrolia Ontario.

- It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man.

- In B.C (British Columbia) it is illegal to kill a Sasquatch. (bigfoot.)

- The City Guelph Ontario is classified as a no-pee zone.

On a slightly more serious note, the American drinking age of 18 is a load of horsecrap. Why is it that an 18 year old man can be drafted into the army to shoot people and die for our country, but he can't have a beer?

yes, it does matter. Ever hear of the Cocoanut Grove fire? Back in 1942, the Cocoanut Grove was the premiere nightclub in Boston, MA. 492 people died in a fire there on November 28 of that year. From Wikipedia, bolding mine for emphasis:

Oh wow. I never thought of it that way. sad.gif Looking at it that way it does make perfect sense.

well, I was having a look at some of the dumb laws we have in Australia.......... pretty dumb.....

Giving teacher single flower became illegal now...

(Because it can be considered as some kind of bribe. That law itself was too vague.)

Edited by sh20000sh

Here's a stupid law that's not funny at all: in Switzerland, the construction of minarets became illegal a few years ago.

(Fear of "Islamization" everywhere. rolleyes.gif )

here in good ol' washington state it's illegal to

-attach a vending machine to a utility pole without the ok from the utility company

-buy a mattress on sunday

-harass bigfoot (lol)

-display a hypnotized person in a store window in Everett (?)

-spit on a bus

-use x-rays to fit shoes

-paint polka dots on the american flag

also lollipops are banned here

lol

EDIT: apparently in Seattle it's illegal to set someone's stuff on fire without their permission, and omg in Wilbur it's illegal to ride an ugly horse.

Edited by petewentztheemogod

Pennsylvania haha here we go

It it illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors.

You may not sing in the bathtub or shower.

in certain cities

Morrisville - It is required that a woman have a permit to wear cosmetics.

Ridley Park - You cannot walk backwards eating peanuts in front of the Barnstormers Auditorium during a performance.

Edited by Airashii-Tsuki

UK resident, here's some weird ones, most of which either still exist but aren't enforced or existed until a massive clean-up of archaic laws in 2012.

• It is illegal to ride a cow while drunk.
  • It is illegal to break a hard-boiled egg at the pointed end.
  • It is illegal to be drunk on licensed premises (EG Bars or pubs).
  • It is illegal to ask a Scotsman what he wears under his kilt (I mean, this one should be common sense, really.)
  • All males over the age 14 must carry out 2 or so hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the local clergy.
  • Welshmen are prohibited from entering Chester before the sun rises – and have to leave again before the sun goes down, according to an old bylaw.
  • In Chester, you are allowed to shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow provided it is done inside the city walls and after midnight. (What is with Chester hating the Welsh?)
  • It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament – apparently because otherwise they would be eligible for a state funeral and that is a bit costly for the authorities.
  • Oliver Cromwell decided he didn’t want people eating mince pies on Christmas Day, so banned them from doing so in the 17th century. Seemingly, you still can’t.
  • In Hereford you can shoot a Welsh person on a Sunday, with a longbow, in the Cathedral Close. (Guess they were listening to Chester too much.)
  • Except on Sundays, it is lawful to kill a Scotsman in York if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
  • It is illegal under the terms of the Prohibition and Inspections Act of 1998 to cause a nuclear explosion. (And again, common sense :|)

Yeeeeeeah.....

On 2.12.2016 at 8:45 PM, petewentztheemogod said:

-use x-rays to fit shoes

Apparently this was common practise for a while, until someone realized that too much x-ray is bad for you ...

Here in Norway, it's illegal to mow your lawn on a Sunday. That law is enforced, too, so it's a shame if Sunday is the only day you're free to tend your garden.

Oh, and it's also illegal to produce potato flour without permission from the king, with the punishment being a fine, jail or both. Potato flour is serious business :lol: 

Edited by Luxrayx

@Luxrayx That's bad news for grain-free folks.

Anyways, in Hungary, tobacco and e-cig paraphernalia can be sold only in licensed premises and no minor can enter these shops, even if accompanied by a parent.

3 minutes ago, squeak said:

Anyways, in Hungary, tobacco and e-cig paraphernalia can be sold only in licensed premises and no minor can enter these shops, even if accompanied by a parent.

That's something I wouldn't call stupid, actually, unless you mean the fact that adults are still allowed in such stores XD

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I do not smoke, so I find this law not-so-stupid. However, it is not only the smokers who want this law repealed, but other people who find the whole "licensed premises" thing nepotistic, but I'm not going to turn this topic into a political cage-fight.

In Singapore, you cannot pee in an elevator. Neither you can talk to donkeys in Chinese there.

I remember reading that in Florida, it's illegal to give a gift to a woman in a bikini.

In Vermont, because it seems no one talks about it:

• It's illegal to undress in public, but it's OK to be naked in public if you left the house that way.
  • It's illegal to deny the existence of god.
  • It's illegal to whistle underwater.
  • It's illegal to paint a picture of a landscape during wartime.
  • It's illegal to paint a picture of a horse.
  • It's illegal to not bathe on Saturday night.
  • It's illegal to put doves inside a freezer.
  • It's illegal for a woman to get false teeth without her husband's permission.
  • It's illegal for your car to backfire.
  • It's illegal to use margarine in cooking in a restaurant unless you denote it in two-inch tall font on the menu.
  • When delivering a pizza to a house worth more than $500,000, the deliveryman must walk backwards out the driveway after delivering the pizza.

Old motobikes are now illegal in Ha noi, and they're gonna say "It's illegal to have a motobike in the future"

Dogs are fine, chickens are fine, but cats are not tolerated on coachs. Because they're unlucky. really people

Can you point out any more dumb laws in Vietnam?