Zaxian

Diablo

I'll be using the RMAH to sell some of my stuff, if someone's willing to buy it lol. Though I personally think it takes the fun out of the game if you just buy really good gear, not to mention spending real money on in-game items has always seemed bizarre to me.

On a slight tangent, not sure if any of you have been following the reports of hackings and whatnot, but I was surprised to discover today that Blizzard passwords are not case sensitive! Seems like a bit of a basic security fail on Blizzard's part.

I have been playing for awhile now and the latest patch bothers me. General chat while I am wanting to play a quiet game by myself..no need for parties. What do I get in general chat only the following:

You (my name) are running a low level char I am coming into your game to steal your gear.

PvP against low levels is fun hey you (yup me again) can I kill you so I can loot your gear?

I am going to friend you so I can kill you (yup reference to me again)

What the heck did I do to these people?!!? I don't even know them or want to know them sad.gif Give me my space and let me run through the game at my pace and we will talk about partying up. I have lots of low chars and one char at Nightmare now. The only party I have ever been in was with my fiance and his brother because they understand my limitations. I am still trying to figure out how to block general chat so I don't have to deal with the morons on a daily basis so annoying. Has anyone else run into this issue yet? I know they can't steal my gear but its really annoying that I am getting char death threats constantly. So sad really I wish the game was offline so that would stop happening mad.gif

i'm working on diablo 1 right now

first time ever playing, doing a rogue, i'm on level 13(first hell)

Seems like people were being clever. But since it's a single-player to 4-player co-op game, it shouldn't matter much if some people decide to use certain mechanics or not. It's not like that affects the rest of us playing our single player or max 4 player co-op game.

It affects the economy and then makes it boring. High drop rates was tested once on a D2 mod called Median XL, and people got bored fast because the gear check was too easy to pass. Communism doesn't work.

Speaking of drop rates, since those people exploited those OP skills, they were able to farm Act III/IV Inferno. Blizzard has an active loot drop system. They monitor what is on the AH. People are in Act III/IV getting 1200+ dps weapons and good armor. Since these don't get sold on the vendor and instead are put up in the AH, the drop rates are lowered. Hence, people who come there later will get crappier drops that the earlier players dropped or sold as junk.

This was made worse by the various exploits people are finding. Some were farming an Act II resplendent chest and made millions from it before they nerfed it (few other similar spots, too).

There's also a way to cheat the system regarding experience. You need two or more people, and you can turn in the Kulle quest 3 times in less than two minutes. Azmodan experience runs were nerfed, so this will go probably soon.

I also found an exploit. Make any hell game in any act you want to. Quit. Go join a public game. It'll highlight in inferno whatever you picked previously. It's easy to come across. There's a lot of people there that have crap gear. This is why the AH is getting flooded with high dps weapons. People are letting Tyrael kill the Aspects of Terror to get loot.

Oh wait...selling gear is part of the game now, so I guess they don't want people having an unintended advantage that way. Wish they hadn't put in an auction house at all.

Anyhow, I'm not touching the RMAH with a ten-foot cattle prod. I thought about it before, but then decided...ah, no.

Some people on the battlenet forums voiced the opinion that there should be no AH. They do have a point. It makes items very accessible. It's like an in-game vendor with the best items for cheap (for normal to hell at least). The AH can be more efficient for gold, too. People want to play the game. Not the AH.

Others said there should be a gold only server. This does make sense. If a lot of people don't want to use money or can't, then the others are playing by a different set of rules. This mostly affects PvP, but I can see how it affects the game in general. It's similar to duping.

I'm playing a wizard and while I'm not high enough to have Force Armor, I know I wouldn't use it that way. Too much of a pain to get the equipment to support it.

High regen gear was cheap at that point. Only wizards could utilize it, and not every wizard knew about. I can't count how many people have said they had leveled to 60 and never knew about elective mode. xd.png

. I am still trying to figure out how to block general chat so I don't have to deal with the morons on a daily basis so annoying. Has anyone else run into this issue yet?

The top button the lower left lets you leave the channel.

Edited by Alpha1

It affects the economy and then makes it boring. High drop rates was tested once on a D2 mod called Median XL, and people got bored fast because the gear check was too easy to pass. Communism doesn't work.

Speaking of drop rates, since those people exploited those OP skills, they were able to farm Act III/IV Inferno. Blizzard has an active loot drop system. They monitor what is on the AH. People are in Act III/IV getting 1200+ dps weapons and good armor. Since these don't get sold on the vendor and instead are put up in the AH, the drop rates are lowered. Hence, people who come there later will get crappier drops that the earlier players dropped or sold as junk.

Uh...I didn't know Diablo 3 was a Wall Street sim. The only reason having something somewhat overpowered affects anything is because they incorporated the AH into the game so now it has an economy.

Anyhow, that's exactly why there shouldn't be an auction house. Having it affect the drops like that is profoundly boring and will do nothing but frustrate people. It drives me up a wall that the AH is cheaper and better than the in-game vendors, the Blacksmith, and actually playing the game. It makes the money grab pretty blatant. I don't mind items being a bit more accessible, but the way drops are made now, it's pretty clear they mean people to use the AH. For instance, I just found a wizard hat with reduced level req 7. That's nice and all, but it's a level 44 hat. What level 37 character is going to be in Hell Act I where they can find level 44 items with any frequency? Right, none of them...unless they go to the AH.

Once the RMAH opens, I'm going to pretend both AHs don't exists. By then, one of my characters will be in a good position to find properly leveled goodies for my other characters.

Edited by Princess Artemis

Uh...I didn't know Diablo 3 was a Wall Street sim.  The only reason having something somewhat overpowered affects anything is because they incorporated the AH into the game so now it has an economy.

The fact that it is online play with other people means that there's going to be a competitive element to the game. People get satisfaction from being ahead of the curve. Is it fair if the DH and wizard could stomp through inferno with ease, while if you wanted to play the other classes, you couldn't?

Some people are getting annoyed by Blizzard's inaction on the exploits. They still didn't fix the Kulle runs it seems, and range classes can still abuse the pony level via getting the elite ponies stuck on a specific part of the map.

If you don't think it matters, what do you think about botting or the use of macros? Blizzard says it's against the rules. Many people think it taints the game. Many people think that's part of what ruined D2. There's already several bots out there for free or for money.

Anyhow, that's exactly why there shouldn't be an auction house.  Having it affect the drops like that is profoundly boring and will do nothing but frustrate people.  It drives me up a wall that the AH is cheaper and better than the in-game vendors, the Blacksmith, and actually playing the game.  It makes the money grab pretty blatant.  I don't mind items being a bit more accessible, but the way drops are made now, it's pretty clear they mean people to use the AH.  For instance, I just found a wizard hat with reduced level req 7.  That's nice and all, but it's a level 44 hat.  What level 37 character is going to be in Hell Act I where they can find level 44 items with any frequency?  Right, none of them...unless they go to the AH.

If there wasn't an AH, then more of it would move to the black market. I don't think it would be as big, but it would be significant ex. D2. Things that could help stifle trading are binding items on equip or making the AH have a bigger gold sink (i.e. take more than 15%). I realize that this sounds like anti-trade. xd.png

What I find annoying about the AH is that it is very difficult to get a good deal. Most of the time, I lose out the split second it comes up especially if it is a ridiculously good deal. AH is no fun at all. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an AH bot on the loose.

Did you read the patch notes, too? They lowered listing items on the AH to 36 hours. How annoying. The AH already has more of a gold potential. I wonder what the reasoning was.

Edited by Alpha1

The fact that it is online play with other people means that there's going to be a competitive element to the game. People get satisfaction from being ahead of the curve. Is it fair if the DH and wizard could stomp through inferno with ease, while if you wanted to play the other classes, you couldn't?

Some people are getting annoyed by Blizzard's inaction on the exploits. They still didn't fix the Kulle runs it seems, and range classes can still abuse the pony level via getting the elite ponies stuck on a specific part of the map.

If you don't think it matters, what do you think about botting or the use of macros? Blizzard says it's against the rules. Many people think it taints the game. Many people think that's part of what ruined D2. There's already several bots out there for free or for money.

If there wasn't an AH, then more of it would move to the black market. I don't think it would be as big, but it would be significant ex. D2. Things that could help stifle trading are binding items on equip or making the AH have a bigger gold sink (i.e. take more than 15%). I realize that this sounds like anti-trade. xd.png

What I find annoying about the AH is that it is very difficult to get a good deal. Most of the time, I lose out the split second it comes up especially if it is a ridiculously good deal. AH is no fun at all. I wouldn't be surprised if there's an AH bot on the loose.

Did you read the patch notes, too? They lowered listing items on the AH to 36 hours. How annoying. The AH already has more of a gold potential. I wonder what the reasoning was.

Well, see, here I am, sitting over in Solitary Play Land, with the thinking that what I do shouldn't matter to what anyone else does at all. I don't think any classes were stomping through Inferno with ease, but as a matter of fact, I think it would have been better to buff the other classes : )

If Force Armor really wasn't supposed to work the way it was working, then fixing it is no big deal.

Really, honestly and truly, I don't consider grinding for experience during a particular boss that happens to be easy to get to is an exploit. If people want to do that, I don't understand why it bothers anyone. It's not a competitive game, it's not an MMO, it's at most a four-person co-op where being really powerful and mowing down demons is fun. I consider exploits to be more along the lines of almost-bugs that people take advantage of.

There's a spot early in Act II that gives a lot of experience fast, virtually no risk, and virtually no loot. I used that to get a couple of levels because Hell was kicking my butt. Now I'm having fun again. This is not a bad thing that needs to be fixed.

As for botting and macros, I really don't care about them. I don't think they should be allowed in public games because not all people will know about them and it's not fair to the other players (unless such a macro or bot is needed by a disabled person, but I'm not sure how they would help for D3), but in solo games or private games among friends who know they are being used, I personally wouldn't have any issue with them. The only reason they would be an issue at all is because Blizzard officially attached Real $$$ to the game. Bots and macros didn't cheapen D2 for a good many people, not at all--they affected only the game that was public and online, where they shouldn't be used. Private and online, why would anyone else care?

If there were a offline single-player/LAN Diablo 3 that was forever banished from using the RMAH or the Gold AH, with characters that could never touch public play, I would be all over it. It's not like what they're doing now is stopping the gold spammers and what not. Guess what I never, ever had to deal with in D2? Gold spammers!

And...yeah, I guess there would be a black market if there wasn't an AH. Like there was in D2, and like there already is now. But then the in-game vendors and blacksmith would be balanced to work right.

I do use the AH sometimes right now. I sell some stuff, and I've bought a couple of things. I haven't had a problem finding decent things for cheap. No ridiculously good deals (although there was that one green hat for 1,500 gold I just stared at for a while because I couldn't believe it was there), but...good enough. But I don't have any real interest in the AH, so I don't sell stuff more often than not.

They probably lowered the time on the AH because people were upset about it tying them up for so long, along with finding out that if most things were going to sell, they sold much earlier than the two days.

Instead of starting a witch doctor like I had planned, I made a demon hunter to get used to controls and stuff first. And then I got a bit too involved and forgot all about making a doctor and yeah-- guess I'm a demon hunter now.

It's a fun game so far, haven't tried out any of the harder difficulties yet. I like the occasional nod towards the original games.

I am disabled and refuse to use Macros and what have you since some of them are against Blizzard's ToS I believe and I don't feel like losing my account at the moment. Chars I have right now are 2 Demon Hunters (Nightmare), Witch Doctor(Normal), Barbarian(Nightmare), and Monk(Normal).

In general chat someone asked me to party with them and when I refused they called me names and told me I better have cancer so I can die off and be one less burden. I am sorry but I won't join parties or allow anyone in my games unless I know you. I am not going to mention all my disabilities here but I will say this that at times they do affect the game play and it can't be helped. My fiance and his brother know this have no problems with it.

I don't use the AH but my fiance does and I can get some amazing equipment from there for cheap sometimes. I did sell a legendary item (orange) though for 7K last night, My fiance sold it for me and I was able to get a piece of armor I needed because of the sale so it was cool.

As for on the realm of what were we thinking: My fiance named his Witch Doc Ting Tang and his brother named his Walla Walla I have one named Bing Bang we are going to try a group game of nothing but Witch Doctors and see how that goes hehe If we ever find a 4th player who has a Witch Doc named Oh Ee Oh ah ah we'd be set xd.png Has anyone else done something similar to this? Or what is your craziest name for a char you have come up with?

I am about to face Belial on Nightmare with a level 40-ish Barbarian so wish me luck...I may need it!!

lol, those are cool names!

I have trouble using my left side at times, so I finally sprung for a gaming mouse with lots of buttons. It can do macros, but all I wanted it for was having all the buttons I needed within reach of one hand, and that's all I use it for. It works really well!

I finally got my wizard to Inferno today--I needed some help getting past Hell Diablo. I probably could have done it on my own, if I wanted to either buy much better equipment on the AH or simply keep throwing myself at him until I got lucky (I managed to get him half-way down on his second form before he used me as a toothpick). But I decided to try a public game to finish him off.

OMG. With three of us, all geared about the same, we were getting rolled by everything on the way there. A fourth person was called in to assist who had absurd damage, and even then it was hard. Inferno is gonna eat my wizard alive.

Wish you luck!

ETA: OK, so...Inferno is basically run around in circles dropping Venom Hydras and praying. That's fun in a way, but I do think it'll get kinda old fast.

Well, see, here I am, sitting over in Solitary Play Land, with the thinking that what I do shouldn't matter to what anyone else does at all. I don't think any classes were stomping through Inferno with ease, but as a matter of fact, I think it would have been better to buff the other classes : )

I think Blizzard chose to not buff the classes because there is no ladder resets. The problem I have with inferno is that the mechanics are cheap (a lot as a result of poor itemization). For example, soul lashers with extra fast, extra hp, invulnerable minions, and horde. WTF. Well, actually, soul lashers anything. xd.png

Most people are maxing as much dps as possible (with attack speed, main stat, crit chance/damage) on wizards and DH's, but if they're hit, they're dead.

The hit boxes are also terrible, but they're working as intended. I thought it was lag, but it isn't.

If Force Armor really wasn't supposed to work the way it was working, then fixing it is no big deal.

It was an oversight (it wasn't glitched) just like the many other problems they didn't address before release.

Really, honestly and truly, I don't consider grinding for experience during a particular boss that happens to be easy to get to is an exploit.

Blizzard didn't intend for this, so they nerfed the Azmodan runs. Notice how you get much less, and going to the scene with Adria nets you nothing? And it was mostly about abusing the multiplayer feature by cheating the system.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/...-power-leveling

If people want to do that, I don't understand why it bothers anyone. It's not a competitive game, it's not an MMO, it's at most a four-person co-op where being really powerful and mowing down demons is fun. I consider exploits to be more along the lines of almost-bugs that people take advantage of.

How is it not a competitive game? There's single player play, but there's also online play. Many people wouldn't even be grinding still if there was no PvP in the future or if the game was too easy (notice all the youtube videos on fast boss kills and stuff?), and if end-game gear was too easy for everyone to get.

And how many people would use a RMAH if there was no interaction with other players besides your friends?

It might not be an MMO, but I do meet a lot of people in game. I got an achievement for resurrecting over a 100 noobs. laugh.gif

There's a spot early in Act II that gives a lot of experience fast, virtually no risk, and virtually no loot. I used that to get a couple of levels because Hell was kicking my butt. Now I'm having fun again. This is not a bad thing that needs to be fixed.

I didn't even have to grind for experience. Did you put a flawless square ruby in a helmet?

The only reason they would be an issue at all is because Blizzard officially attached Real $$$ to the game. Bots and macros didn't cheapen D2 for a good many people, not at all--they affected only the game that was public and online, where they shouldn't be used. Private and online, why would anyone else care?

If it was public and online without a RMAH, they still wouldn't have allowed them. Many MMORPG's do this, and they don't have a RMAH.

Okay, so you weren't exactly arguing against what I said. When I speak of bots, I'm not talking about people who don't play with the online community.

I do use the AH sometimes right now. I sell some stuff, and I've bought a couple of things. I haven't had a problem finding decent things for cheap. No ridiculously good deals (although there was that one green hat for 1,500 gold I just stared at for a while because I couldn't believe it was there), but...good enough. But I don't have any real interest in the AH, so I don't sell stuff more often than not.

Set and legendary items are trash in this game. xd.png

ETA: OK, so...Inferno is basically run around in circles dropping Venom Hydras and praying. That's fun in a way, but I do think it'll get kinda old fast.

You're in Act I. That's a stroll in the park.

How is it not a competitive game? There's single player play, but there's also online play. Many people wouldn't even be grinding still if there was no PvP in the future or if the game was too easy (notice all the youtube videos on fast boss kills and stuff?), and if end-game gear was too easy for everyone to get.

I think that's pretty self-explanatory. If there's no PvP, there's no real competition. As far as why would anyone use the RMAH without PvP? People buy DLC with new shiny weapons in it for other games, so sure, they'd spend a few bucks on Diablo III to buy their characters something. It's like that. I've got zero insight into the minds of people who would spend more than a buck fifty on a virtual item for a Diablo character.

People would still be playing and hunting for stuff and grinding without any PvP at all. That's what was cool about Diablo II. Kurast Shopping Mall was fun just to go mow down and see what was hiding in all the chests. As far as videos of boss runs? I'd like to see a video of that one D2 guy who sent a Paladin wearing only Normal mode items against Uber Baal, Diablo, and Mephisto just because it would be cool, not because I want to compete with him!

I think that's pretty self-explanatory.  If there's no PvP, there's no real competition.

People are prepping for PvP. And I see this competitive attitude all the time with people saying they have l33t skills or boast about how good they're at getting items from the AH or how they obtained good gear.

Another good example is Blizzard's recent statement that they're going to dumb down inferno, and they're going to get rid of the damage modifier for monsters in co-op.

As I expected, there were threads complaining about this because according to them, their inferno achievements mean little now.

As far as why would anyone use the RMAH without PvP?  People buy DLC with new shiny weapons in it for other games, so sure, they'd spend a few bucks on Diablo III to buy their characters something.  It's like that.  I've got zero insight into the minds of people who would spend more than a buck fifty on a virtual item for a Diablo character.

user posted image

xd.png

I'm guessing some armor and weapons will be quite expensive at the start of the RMAH. Gold started at about $50 per million at launch and is coming down rapidly. There's a lot of weapons and armor above 10 million gold now.

People would still be playing and hunting for stuff and grinding without any PvP at all.  That's what was cool about Diablo II.  Kurast Shopping Mall was fun just to go mow down and see what was hiding in all the chests.  As far as videos of boss runs?  I'd like to see a video of that one D2 guy who sent a Paladin wearing only Normal mode items against Uber Baal, Diablo, and Mephisto just because it would be cool, not because I want to compete with him!

That's true. I'm just saying that there are people who would see no reason to grind if there was no PvP especially since there's no ladder resets.

Come on, dude. Some people get competitive about mowing the grass. That doesn't make grass mowing inherently competitive. It means the people who boast about their 1337 riding lawn mowers have competitive spirits that they bring into everything they do.

Getting competitive about a co-op PvE game is pretty much the same to me as getting competitive about grass mowing. Sure, it's legitimate fun for some people, and that's wonderful (I'm not here to knock anyone's fun!), but it is absolutely something brought to the activity, not something the activity itself encourages.

It's like one person on the Diablo III forums said in reference to his choice not to play nor boast about Hardcore: "My e-peen is too short." Absolutely made me laugh out loud that did--it was funny, honest, and a dig at the rest at the same time. Perfect commentary : )

Killed the Butcher on Inferno in a four person group with my friends just now. Pretty excited. Got several upgrades, including a belt my friends were drooling over.

Diablo 3 wouldn't work thanks to my processor.. getting a new one.. (groans)

But when I get on there, dear god...

Ah, and here's my story-

So when I played DIablo one, I had this epic warrior who one-shotted everything by sublevel 50. He was boss.

However, that third to last boss, the one covered in black armor, was so crappy. He could regenerate health, mana, and deal damage equal to a percentage of my health.

I kept having to run and then come back.

So finally, I got out my strongest weapons and armor, got all the buffs, walked up to him..

and one-shot him.

TOok his armor, and felt great.

Killed the Butcher on Inferno in a four person group with my friends just now. Pretty excited. Got several upgrades, including a belt my friends were drooling over.

Congrats! I've managed to take about three steps into Act II on Inferno, then ran away screaming. What were they thinking O_o

Thaelasan, I haven't played the first Diablo. Spent a good bit of time shopping at the Kurast Mall though. Wish I could find a good equivalent in D3 :/

I am still working my way through Nightmare. Please don't laugh at me either. The computer that has the game on it is a shared computer and I have to take my turn usually 1-2 hrs before someone needs to use it. I have offered my computer while I am not on it but everyone wants to play on my account which is on the shared comp..yay >< I don't mind sharing really but it gets annoying sometimes. I would have the account all to myself BUT my comp can't handle it and there is no way to upgrade it either sad.gif Also I am about to take Belial down..I hope xd.png I loved Diablo 1 and 2 and thanks to a certain program I could have whatever stats I wanted on my weapons and I used that program only after I beat the game. I am waiting for Blizzard to re-release the Battlechest for Windows 7 so I can buy those games again..must feed the demon killing addiction biggrin.gif

Good luck to everyone in Inferno and one day I will be there too!!

I should experiment with my old copies of D2 to see if they run on Windows 7. They run on Linux just fine. Good luck with Belial!

Sort of randomly--I've been playing a male Demon Hunter and noticed that, for whatever reason, he's taller than Yao Ming. Odd art decision.

Oh, and because I had to listen to Imperius butcher English about 10 times when I first got to Act IV Hell--

user posted image

I should experiment with my old copies of D2 to see if they run on Windows 7. They run on Linux just fine. Good luck with Belial!

Sort of randomly--I've been playing a male Demon Hunter and noticed that, for whatever reason, he's taller than Yao Ming. Odd art decision.

Oh, and because I had to listen to Imperius butcher English about 10 times when I first got to Act IV Hell--

user posted image

He only butchers it cause he's throwing a tantrum that he can't control the universe!

I had to get a friend that was level 60 to take on Belial for me..so fail there on my own >< I am heading towards Azmadon later today don't think I can finish an act a day I get tired too easily. I have found 4 Black Mushrooms so far and have no idea what to do with them.

LOL love the Imperius fail too thank you so much for sharing that!!

Question: How do I find my account name? I found a new friend to join me and I have no idea how to find that pesky thing and any help would be appreciated smile.gif

Congrats to everyone and good luck on your own quests!

Edited by LyricShadowcrow

You should be able to find your Battletag by clicking on your character and then selecting to look at your profile. It should show the name you signed up at Battle.net with, and it will be in this form: Tag#0000. In order to add someone whose tag you already have, you should be able to type it into a friends request on the social menu and they'll get it without you needing to track down your own.

Azmodan is easier than Belial, hopefully you won't need back-up, but good to have it if you need it smile.gif

Black Mushrooms are useful for making a Staff of Herding so you can get into the secret level. The staff costs a fortune though. The plans for the staff generally drop at the end of Act IV.

I'll help if you need help!