Zaxian

Diablo

It's just a week until the release of the long awaited* Diablo 3, so I thought it was about time for a topic on all things Diablo, because the original games were awesome. (* For those of you not familiar with the series, Diablo 2 was released in 2000, so it's been nearly 12 years since the last installment!)

Sooo, has anyone else got D3 on pre-order/are going to buy it? Did you play the original games? How awesome is D3 going to be? laugh.gif

I've got the collector's edition of D3 on pre-order myself and have actually booked a day off work to play it on release week to get it out of my system - I have fond memories of the original games and played the open beta solidly for the weekend it was available. I'm a bit sad that they've taken away the ability to really *use* the weapons you equip, but I like the flexibility of the new skill tree - I was never one for using one of the 'correct' D2 builds (skele-mancer ftw!) so I like the idea that I can't nerf my character by levelling them 'badly'. Also felt that the beta was a bit easier than I remember Diablo or D2 being, but perhaps that's because I considerably younger when I first played them blink.gif

I lost a large part of my youth to D2 biggrin.gif So obviously I'm looking forward to D3. And it's on pre-order as a (delayed) birthday present!

I was a Beta tester for D3, loved it so much I had upgraded my standard edition to a collectors.

I can't wait for the 15th!

So me pre-order had to be cancelled. For some reason the morons my brother pre-ordered our copies from decided they weren't going to ship the pre-ordered games until a week after release date. Wtf? I imagine they're getting a mass of cancellations on their hands. Now getting a digital download direct from Blizzard.

It's really being released-- no more delays or pushbacks?! Well count me surprised, I've been totally looking forward to it =o Have so many fond memories of Diablo and its sequel-- I wasn't in the beta but the teasers seem awesome so far. Witchdoctor looks hilariously fun.

I don't want to jinx it, but I hope Diablo doesn't turn out like Starcraft II in that it feels... incomplete in a way, or purposely shortened to milk more money from sequels/expansions.

It's really being released-- no more delays or pushbacks?!

I would be very mad.gif if they delayed it now but I don't think they will, just 5 days to go! ...not that I'm counting or anything laugh.gif.

I think I'm going to play witchdoctor first myself, as it's closest to the necromancer in D2, though I don't think I can recreate my skeleton army. The barbarian was fun in the beta too - very stompy - and the monk was also neat, ninja'ing all over the place (though her voice acting seemed less polished than some of the other chars).

Anyone else sortof excited about the real money auction house? I rather like the idea that I might actually get some real money reward (however small) for playing a game that I'd be playing obsessively anyway biggrin.gif.

(Btw, I apologise for the excessive use of emotes in my posts - I really haven't been this excited about a game in a looong time (ever?).)

Edited by Zaxian

I've never played the original games, though if I get a copy of the collector's edition (didn't pre order... going to lurk around walmart and hope they have extra copies lol) that will change. I'm not certain how much of this I'll play, but I'm definitely going to try.

I was into Baldurs Gate II and all my friends played Diablo. Should be interesting though...The advances in graphics/overall gameplay since: Im guessing about 2002 should be mind-blowing! biggrin.gif

My CE is being shipped even as we speak. Alas I didn't get it from somewhere with fast shipping, but I do have it and it will be here by Friday.

I cannot wait. I've enjoyed D2 for a good long while and while I was uncertain of D3, after the open beta I was completely sold.

I'll miss the skeleton army. I'm going to play a male wizard first; he looks like one of my D&D characters and I like ranged characters.

Plus, he has Wall of Force which is basically "Stomp On All The Urns And Barrels At Once". MUST BREAK ALL THE THINGS.

I thought about the RMAH, but since I don't have a cell phone to use with it, I probably won't...I'd have to borrow someone's. Then again, after having read how much people are willing to pay for certain things, it might be hard to resist selling a goody every once in a while.

I pre-ordered Diablo 3 and received it at a Midnight Pre-release party. I have installed it on my comp BUT my comp is incompatible mad.gif I feel I have wasted a lot of money and am really upset. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

I have read that the installer is giving a good few people grief about incompatibilities. This hasn't happened to me because my copy is still in a UPS box, but I know my computer will run it.

Did you check the minimum reqs? Or try the open beta?

I thought about the RMAH, but since I don't have a cell phone to use with it, I probably won't...I'd have to borrow someone's.  Then again, after having read how much people are willing to pay for certain things, it might be hard to resist selling a goody every once in a while.

You need a phone? o.O

...Oooh right, I see, for the SMS confirmation. Phew, even my crappy £10 phone from Tescos can do that! (Thought for the moment that I was going to need some sort of *smart* phone, lol).

Anyway, pre-orders are never simple it seems - my CE is on its way, but the company I've brought it from have screwed up and sent it to my *billing* address (i.e. my home address) when I'd asked them to send it to my work - despite sending me several email confirmations that they were sending it to the right address. I only found out it was the wrong address when the courier sent a confirmation email at 5.30pm last night >:( So I don't think I'm going to be getting it today after all sad.gif

Installing...

Edit: INstalled, playing. Always tanked this game myself, so I've got the Barbarian. HULK SMASH!!!!

Edited by TikindiDragon

Anyway, pre-orders are never simple it seems - my CE is on its way, but the company I've brought it from have screwed up and sent it to my *billing* address (i.e. my home address) when I'd asked them to send it to my work - despite sending me several email confirmations that they were sending it to the right address. I only found out it was the wrong address when the courier sent a confirmation email at 5.30pm last night >:( So I don't think I'm going to be getting it today after all :(

Apparently not! The place I pre-ordered from sent me an e-mail several days later telling me my order was out of stock and they would update me when they got more, blah blah, if I want to cancel or check the status, call this number. So I did, and they said, oh, no, that's just our standard message we have to send out because we can't ship pre-orders right away.

"You do know how misleading it is to tell people their pre-orders are out of stock, right?!"

"I'm very sorry about that, I'll pass that along to my supervisor!"

ARRGH. Since I got the e-mail on a weekend so couldn't call them, and after the whole world except eBay sold out, I was not happy to say the least.

However, it has now left the great state of Tennessee and is scheduled to arrive in the People's Republic of California on Friday, so they are forgiven that for scaring me for the weekend. Sort of.

Now if only Friday would get here faster!

@Tikindi, nice knowing ya : )

@Tikindi, nice knowing ya : )

I think half of England is trying to play. We're getting so many errors trying to party up with my brothers it's unreal.

Wow the graphics for the intro to diablo 3 is incredible. That old man looks so close to real.

Diablo 3 is real good. What I've played of it. Between server outages and personal stuff and whatnot, I haven't gotten much chance to play it, but it's super cool. And it runs surprisingly well on my mac. xd.png

I got my copy this morning at Kmart. It took me the better part of the afternoon to update the computer and get the game working but I did get to spend an hour or more playing it before I had to go out. I loved playing Diablo 2 and am sure I'll be happy playing Diablo 3 as well.

One thing I'm particularly happy about is that it seems to work comfortably to run the character with the mouse instead of just the keyboard controls. I'm not too wild about the fact that you must be connected to the internet to play the game.

My first character is a male Barbarian and I'm looking forward to playing again tomorrow. biggrin.gif

I got my copy this morning at Kmart. It took me the better part of the afternoon to update the computer and get the game working but I did get to spend an hour or more playing it before I had to go out.  I loved playing Diablo 2 and am sure I'll be happy playing Diablo 3 as well.

One thing I'm particularly happy about is that it seems to work comfortably to run the character with the mouse instead of just the keyboard controls.  I'm not too wild about the fact that you must be connected to the internet to play the game.

My first character is a male Barbarian and I'm looking forward to playing again tomorrow. biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, since the majority of people who are playing Diablo 3 want to use multiplayer options, and be able to work on their characters while their friends are offline, single player must be online as well to prevent hacking.

My first character is a female Wizard, and she's already lvl 14!

Edited by Layn

Unfortunately, since the majority of people who are playing Diablo 3 want to use multiplayer options, and be able to work on their characters while their friends are offline, single player must be online as well to prevent hacking.

My first character is a female Wizard, and she's already lvl 14!

Actually, no it doesn't. That is just the way Blizzard chose to make it harder to duplicate items since there is now a real money auction house. They could have made it so that single player offline characters and items were impossible to use in any multiplayer capacity. I would have been totally down for that--I play D2 mostly single player but sometimes play TCP/IP games with a friend, and while I like to save loot for her and she does the same for me, with D3, it wouldn't bother me a bit to have those completely separated.

I understand why they did it and what it accomplishes for them (which is the only reason I would countenance buying a single player game that requires an Internet connection for anything--my dollars are thin on the ground so I vote with them), but I don't particularly like it and I do not believe it was the only way they could have managed.

Two more days until my CE arrives! Must go back to staring at my tracking number and cheering it on...