Quasismiles

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Fate for Me.

"Astray is a very nice way of putting it..." Ashamun smiled, an interested expression itching it's way onto her face. Her crew shifted behind her and Collins tensed. Ashamun crossed her arms and held up a finger to settle them all.

"And how did an honorable Lieutenant come to be in the service of a royal pirate?" She sneered at him and her dagger suddenly felt heavy.

"Was it possibly the fact that you were" a dramatic gasp, "captured?! Oh no! Dread the thought!" She covered her mouth with her hand and her eyes made vicious fun of the captured man. Just sparking his temper was interesting. Besides, she was positive if he reacted, there would be consequences. Whether from the Red Capped Dagger, or Serpens Cor.

"Don't anger the man. Though he may be on opposite sides from me currently, he's done noble service in the military. Though they may be our enemies, they deserve the respect they have earned. I won't tolerate you bothering him," Reuben growled, stepping forward. Anger glinted in his eyes, and this was clearly not all about the man beside them. No, this was about his father. The well-respected captain, Reuben Holloway, had daddy troubles and yet he still felt ties to him. His being a pirate was partially out of spite, but he still had respect for the same men he hated.

"His men were good fighters. I took three captives, including him. Now, I'll take this note, and go back to my ship, and we shall meet again, soon, if this note is true. Goodbye, miss, goodbye," he continued, taking off his hat once more and bowing, shoving the note in his pocket, and nodding towards his captive.

"You'll go first, lad. I showed you how," Reuben said, his eyes watchful. He took out his ivory sword and pointed it to the plank, nodding to William.

Ash bowed to the other captain's back and laughed joyously.

"Goodbye my dear Captain! Goodbye Lieutenant! I hope you all make it safely to Parrot Island!" She snickered to herself and turned her back, looking at her crew and winking. She whispered to them.

"As soon as these stiff necks are gone, we'll set off for Parrot Island to meet with Firestorm. At least she's got some fun in her." Her crew grinned widely, but Collins frowned. Though Ash had gained the loyalty and respect of her crew, sometimes, her lack of need for a serious air could get her into trouble.

"It is true, miss. I would appreciate if you would keep your sneering pirate tongue to yourself, however. I am here on business. The Captain is whom you should be currently addressing," He said softly, eyes down. Don't react. That's what she wants. She wants you angry. He thought patiently. He was surprised, but indignant that Serpens Cor had defended him. But, now, he was ushering him to go forward. He had heard something about an island. No matter. Now was his chance. He looked pointedly at the Red Capped Dagger. "You look quite familiar, miss. If I do know you, please forgive me for my next action," He unsheathed the blade he'd been given and thrusted the sword towards Serpens Cor's chest. A quick clean kill. He had the element of surprise on his side too.

Ash laughed as she saw the lunge.

"Good on you mate! You've got a good tongue, as well as a good memory! You have my appreciation, and if that strike makes it's mark, please forgive me for this." She swiftly pulled out her dagger and the ruby embedded in the tip of the blade glinted red int he sunlight. She raced forward and kicked off the plank connecting the two ships. Once she heard a satisfying splash into the water below, she turned and held her dagger out to the Serpent.

"Mr. Hemingway, you have seen me before, in fact, five years ago at the side of my deceased husband, Captain Harold. Forgive me for not introducing myself further." She grinned and nodded her head to him, not taking her eyes from the Serpens Cor, waiting to see if he would dodge the strike.

Reuben watched as William lunged forward with a thrust toward his chest, and how Ash went and kicked off the plank, his only way back to his ship for the time being. At once he could picture the men aboard his ship scuttling back and forth, racing to the cannons, getting their swords and preparing to swing over and meet their captain here, all thinking of the reward he might just give them.

But Reuben was no longer a scuttling crew member, he was a captain. As a captain he had his fair share of nicks and scars from attempts on his life. He had survived many people trying to kill him, so what made this different? It was his hesitation, the uncertainty of whether it would be better to die and let William have this victory, or whether it would be better to live. That hesitation nearly cost him his life.

It was in his eyes, clearly there. Thoughts of suicide raced through him. But not this way. This was so undignified, and such a bad way to die. Why give that glory to an enemy?

The blade had started to sink in, he could feel it. The time for action was now. His own already-drawn ivory blade was swung up, stopping the other blade from going any further into him, but creating an arcing cut across his chest. Reuben snarled with fury, but held his sword in the same position. He didn't want to fight, not now. But it was likely he would be forced to.

"I've had many attempts on my life. What made you think you were any different?" he growled, eyes flashing. It was not wise to anger Reuben like this.

William felt surprise, but he suppressed it. There was a very dangerous, very angry pirate captain in front of him. He pulled his blade back quickly and fell into a defensive stance. He was pleased to see that it had cut the man. That was what he wanted. He wanted him to suffer, much as he himself and his friends had. He wanted the man to suffer the slow death that so many of his men had suffered. He wanted the man to suffer. To take all the evils that all of the others had done unto himself, and be punished adequately for such. William's face was no longer the calm, military man's face. Now, he was furious. "What makes me different is this. You've killed every one of those men who were intrusted to me. You have beaten my friends into submission. You have killed innocent people that deserved death far less than you. You're the scum of the earth, Serpens Cor. Even your men want you dead. I'm only helping them out. I wager I'll be counted a hero upon my return. Come, my blade longs to taste more of your blood. Since I have taken the first move, you may have the next. Do both our honor a favor, pirate, and play nice."

((I'll post and maybe it'll help Kokay and Gator.))

Ashamun snickered and leaned against one of her men, watching the scene play out in front of her. The proud William obviously had a chip on his shoulder the size of a navy ship, and the Serpent looked in trouble. It would be a rarity to have the opportunity to watch this again.

"If anybody needs me, I shall be over here, waiting and watching. Because I'm bored." She yawned, closing one eye and peering out of the other to prove her point.

The man she was leaning against held her shoulder so she wouldn't fall and she nodded to him as a silent thanks. Collins stood on her right side, against the ship's rope cradle and pinched the bridge of her nose at her Captain's recklessness. They may end up destroying something, something important.

"Ah, how I wish Firestorm was with me. We, at least, could speak."

Reuben glared at the other man, his set in a deep set scowl, no amusement in his normally carefree face. No, now he was truly angered, and to anger him like this was an accomplishment, truly. This was was so incredibly arrogant, he deserved a humiliating death. The pirate was a cruel man. He was not going to give the soldier boy what he wanted. Nay, he would decline a fight, put away his sword, and stand with his chin up to the other man, his eyes full of scorn. He would be defiant, and if the man tried to attack once more, he would merely dodge. Though he hadn't quite been ready for it before, he was now. And you'd best believe he wouldn't get another cut on his body from the lieutenant before him.

Reuben did as told before. He sheathed his sword, glared at the other man, but did one more thing, he raised his hat off his head and waved it once, to which his first mate responded with a similar signal, and quickly took a rope with a hooked edge and tossed it onto the other ship, where it caught hold. He tested it's strength and then swung over to Ashamun's ship.

"Now, I'll believe you see, you are outnumbered," the captain stated, his mouth turning into a wicked grin. He placed his hat back atop his head, and bowed before the other man, his eyes not moving from the other man's face.

"Obviously I'm not about to kill you, so please put your weapon down. Otherwise my first mate might be tempted to take out his blunderbuss and do a bit of damage to your legs there. Don't think you'd want that. And foolish man, you are so terribly self centered. You only think of your goal to kill me, not how it might effect your little friends. While you hold some value to me, they hold less. I am very much willing to... ah, cast them off."

Ash's eyes widened as the burly man swung aboard her ship. The shock which was prominent in them soon died down to simmer into excitement and relief.

"Ooh. It seems I have someone on my ship who wasn't invited. I shall have to correct this immediately. If you will, Reuben. May I?" She unsheathed her dagger and gestured to his first mate, a snakelike grin etched onto her features.

"It's only polite to ask permission to join in on a fight I was not invited to, is it not? So, may I participate? William? Reuben?" She stepped forward, a swing to her hips and expertly twirled her dagger in her fingers, golden eyes flashing with a challenge.

William wasn't sure how he did it, but he got more mad. "You're a coward. Can't fight me with your bare hands so you send your men to do your dirty work," There was no alternative, however. He dropped the sword gingerly. It fell, conveniently to his feet, he would be able to kick his foot under it to throw it up into his hands. It was doubtful that it would work. He glanced at the female pirate. She was offering to join the fight. He shook his head. "No, do not join the fight. It is better this way. I would have it that Serpens Cor meets his overdue demise to one whom he has so deeply wronged."

"Mm, and I was so close to mildly tolerating you, Ashamun. Unfortunately, you fell short. I'd rather fight this man with him having a sword and me having fists than with you. And that's not a complement. You're just plain obnoxious, and somehow I doubt that cutting off your head would stop your irritating squabbling," Reuben snapped, glaring at the woman. He was not so easily persuaded by a woman's looks as one might think. After all, he went for months on end without seeing them, and somehow this didn't seem to bother him.

Reuben turned toward William, grinning idiotically. It pleased him that he had managed to anger the other man more than he had previously. His first mate waltzed over to the captain, his eyes locking on William's for a moment. This went unnoticed by Reuben, but there clearly was something behind the glance.

"No, I'm not a coward. I'm not going to turn away an advantage, dear boy. Just like it would have been more 'gentlemanly' of you to wait until I was expecting it to try and cut me up. You had the advantage then, and I suppose I have it now. I have a ship full of men over there. I am not going to turn away their services. I'm not nearly that stupid," he snorted, rolling his eyes. He moved forward, the toe of his boot resting on the blade of the sword on William's feet for just a moment, clearly showing he knew very well it was there.

"Now, I believe I shall see you all at the island we are heading to. And by the way, William, I'm not going to let you stay here, either. You're coming back with me, and believe me, you'll drop that weapon once we're back over there."

William's blood boiled. But, the glance from the first mate put him on edge. The anger was waning now. His spirit was breaking. One attempt after another... They all had failed. Clearing his throat, he picked up the blade and held it to the first mate, handle pointed towards the other man. "Might as well take this now. I doubt I'll be so willing to hand it over without a fight at a later time," William looked at the rope that the first mate had used to cross the ships. "Unless either of you dogs have another plank, I suppose we will be crossing back with the rope..." He looked at it carefully before wrapping it around his arm with surprising skill from an officer. Glancing back at the the Red Capped Dagger, he scowled. "Until we meet again, and may it be under circumstances in which I am in better health. Believe you me, the British military does not falter in justice. Not even for a woman," Spitting on the boat, he ran back and then jumped over the side, landing with ease on the other side. He held the rope for a moment and smiled. "I don't have to return this, you know? However, I'm sure your men would return it for me if I didn't, so," He threw it back. "Here you are, tyrant."

Edited by Kokay

The captain caught the rope with a wicked grin, his fingers wrapping around it. He rather hated to take the rope, as it made him less dignified, but he rather liked his ship, so he swung across, waving his hat to the lady he had just insulted. His first mate took the rope after him, and the two were both on board soon enough, with his first mate tugging the rope down and on board. His first mate seemed to have the sword of William, which was good. Reuben glared at William before turning to his crew.

"Boys, we're going to Parrot Island. Steer us, if you would!" he cried,before turning to William's friends. "I would have a luxury for you two, but I'm afraid William here ruined it by making another notably failed attempt on my life. But he did give me a pretty scar," he said, making a face and showing off the cut. A few of the men growled around him, but his first mat seemed to have disappeared... Strange.

((I think I'm going to make the first mate a character. Maybe.))

Firestorm waited for the captains on the island. Meanwhile her crew enjoyed the luxuries of the jungle. Under other circumstances she too would be joining in their partying but now she had more pressing matters to plan out. Getting the rulers of the high seas to cooperate was sort of like trying to combine oil and water - messy and impossible to do anything more than create a very temporary mixture. Many of them were unpleasant. However they did all have a common goal and that would have to be used to their advantage. Although Firestorm kept a faction of her crew hidden in the forest for backup she was convinced this was the right option and waited for the other captains eagerly if not confidently.

Ash sighed and looked to the sky, her expression pained.

"Why, oh why, do these situations always end up with my precious ship being spat upon. She's done nothing wrong." She bent to pat the deck comfortingly and then stood, suddenly grinning.

"Well, my friends, your obnoxious captain needs to get her arse and ship over to Parrot Island! Are we off?" She held a hand out, awaiting the expected response.

Her crew roared and the sound itself seemed to put air in the sails.

"Well, off you go then!" She swung the open hand around and her crew sprinted off to their held positions. Collins stayed by her side and tapped her Captain's shoulder.

"Captain, your dagger..." Ash looked down and felt surprise flash across her face.

"Ah yes! Thank you Collins! I would have forgotten if not reminded." She slipped the blade back into it's sheath, enjoying the sing of the metal as it was placed back inside the velvet house it belonged to.

((Everybody okay with a time skip to Parrot Island?))

Sawyer fell out of her bed, and cursed. "****! Im late to board the ships!" she yelled. She cursed under her breath, and ran outside to fun her ship gone. "****, now I'm stuck on this wretched island!"

((sorry for not being on, how about they meet Sawyer there?))

((Erm, bloody, maybe the three female pirates we have should be it. I guess we can't have anyone's current chars change gender, but there weren't really any female pirates, let alone captains. Two female captains is a stretch, but two female captains, another female pirate.... maybe that should be it before this becomes too inaccurate. During the time period, if any woman wanted respect, she would have to pretend to be male. I think you should limit the number of females.

I'll post later-ish. Dealing with new puppy.))

((I understand Gator. I'll add the limit. And congratulations on the puppy! What breed is he/her?))

((Hah, yeah besides the fact that they are known to take down bears when their flock is threatened. Not dogs to mess with, that's for sure. xd.png))