philpot123

Drugs

Marijuana Legalization Creates Problems On The Roads

http://autos.aol.com/article/pot-marijuana...26pLid%3D259097

Hardly. That's a bit like saying that alcohol being legals creates problems on the roads. Driving under the influence is driving under the influence. Yeah, they need to clarify the laws on it a little, but it's pretty damned logical to say that if you don't drink and drive then you shouldn't smoke pot and drive.

I'm not sure what your point in posting that link was anyway (If I'm honest, I rarely am) but if it was an attempt to suggest it's a reason pot shouldn't be legal than I don't think it was very effective.

The thing that concerns me is all the research around marijuana acting as a catalyst for pre-existing mental conditions. My family has a massive history of schizophrenia which is why I've always stayed away from marijuana myself. I'm fine at the moment, but I have no way of knowing if my body has the capacity for schizophrenia and it's just sitting there below the surface waiting to come out.

If that's the case, I'd like to delay it as long as possible, not potentially bring it to the surface before its time because of drugs.

Now I know that it's not harmful to everyone and many people have used it all their lives with no ill effects, but given the research around it and schizophrenia, and the fact that it's deeply ingrained in my family, I've always been wary and cautious.

But if someone has evidence that proves my hesitation wrong, then by all means show me. biggrin.gif But until I see evidence that it won't potentially flip a switch in my brain, I'm keeping my distance.

That is the one that scares me. On the other hand, it also applies to alcohol, so...

Marijuana like alcohol has different effects on people. I know someone that smokes pot and they are allergic to it and it makes them act irrational.

If you are going to smoke pot or drink, stay off the roads until your system is cleared of the substance so you do not kill innocent people and kids on the roads.

(in short, I was late to the debating party.)

Depends on the drug, who's using it and for what purpose.

Pregnant Woman Seeks Medical Help and is Jailed Instead, Dies

Because finding some pain pills on a women in pain is a good reason to jail her and effectively give her a death sentence. And it's reasons like this why I believe we're using all the wrong methods to go after drugs.

Oh COME ON. That's plain ludicrous. Who CARES if she had two pills on her she didn't have a prescription for? My word. What good is jailing a pregnant woman going to do? How is that going to "solve the drug problem"? I just... wow.

I'm still of the opinion that simple possession and use of recreational drugs should not be illegal. I don't support use, I think it's a poor idea (and according to my convictions, immoral), but our current drug war is unproductive and harmful.

I honestly don't know about drugs being legal, I'm not through with the opinion forming business on that.

I will say though, that I don't know a single person whose life has become better or happier in the long run through drug use. I just think drugs are a really bad idea.

Oh COME ON. That's plain ludicrous. Who CARES if she had two pills on her she didn't have a prescription for? My word. What good is jailing a pregnant woman going to do? How is that going to "solve the drug problem"? I just... wow.

I'm still of the opinion that simple possession and use of recreational drugs should not be illegal. I don't support use, I think it's a poor idea (and according to my convictions, immoral), but our current drug war is unproductive and harmful.

This exactly - thank you! I dislike recreational drugs and the use of recreational drugs, but that's a whole lot better than arresting a woman in pain and allowing her to die in jail because she's carrying some pain pills around. =\

Because finding some pain pills on a women in pain is a good reason to jail her and effectively give her a death sentence. And it's reasons like this why I believe we're using all the wrong methods to go after drugs.

What is this world coming too? I think the cops that arrested her should be arrested themselves and charged. That's total bs that this kind of thing happened.

Well, I was going to post my opinions but they're the same as Sock's and Phil's recent posts. rolleyes.gif

They're better at explaining their thoughts than me, anyway. smile.gif

Edit: Add Kestra's opinion (below) to the list of those I agree with too. wink.gif

Edited by Dimar

The medical staff failed that woman immensely. The fact they even called the police to begin with shows how badly they treated her; if she's in too much pain to lie down, then get her to position herself as comfortably as possible and continue treating her from that position. It is a basic of medical care to ensure someone's pain is adequately and effectively controlled, and she should be treated in confidence; if she has two POM painkillers on her, they should just quietly put them in the bin and keep treating her.

"She had a medical release from the hospital stating that she was fit for incarceration," Rhodes said.

I cannot believe that the medical staff there would have signed release papers. That's the crux of this, and where the serious failure in the duty of medical care comes. Police can't remove extremely ill people from hospital without the permission of the hospital staff - and who in thier right mind would declare that a woman in that much pain was fit for incarceration. Loopy.

Although I would observe that, because this is clearly a failure of medical care more than anything else, I'd say it's more of a problem with your (also loopy) medical system, rather than the current drugs laws.

The thing that concerns me is all the research around marijuana acting as a catalyst for pre-existing mental conditions. My family has a massive history of schizophrenia which is why I've always stayed away from marijuana myself. I'm fine at the moment, but I have no way of knowing if my body has the capacity for schizophrenia and it's just sitting there below the surface waiting to come out.

If that's the case, I'd like to delay it as long as possible, not potentially bring it to the surface before its time because of drugs.

Now I know that it's not harmful to everyone and many people have used it all their lives with no ill effects, but given the research around it and schizophrenia, and the fact that it's deeply ingrained in my family, I've always been wary and cautious.

But if someone has evidence that proves my hesitation wrong, then by all means show me. biggrin.gif But until I see evidence that it won't potentially flip a switch in my brain, I'm keeping my distance.

Also a note from someone who also has schizophrenia in my family, so can the common ADHD medicine Adderol(sp?). Found that out when the school insisted my sister be medicated for ADHD, only for our psychiatrist to tell us she doesn't have it and that adderol can cause schizophrenia.

Edited by brairtrainer

Also a note from someone who also has schizophrenia in my family, so can the common ADHD medicine Adderol(sp?). Found that out when the school insisted my sister be medicated for ADHD, only for our psychiatrist to tell us she doesn't have it and that adderol can cause schizophrenia.

Adderall is basically pharmaceutical-grade speed. If you haven't actually got ADHD it is not going to calm you down in the slightest. It only works if you've got funky brain chemistry (incidental note - caffeine is similar, it'll calm & settle ADHD and autism-spectrum alike).

Sadly Adderall is quite often sold on illegally simply because of what it is.