dr.bieber229

Animal Questions

Q: I had a question about my new cat. She has an extra toe on her front legs. And, I was wondering if it was the genes or the actual breed of cat which usually has that. I believe she is a Jungle Lynx. And, I was also wondering, are there any cat experts who might be able to identify if she really is a Jungle Lynx or not?

Here she is. Her paws are shown.

Genetics cause extra toes, not the breed. ^^

Been a while since I've had bettas of my own, but there are "stress-ease" solutions you can add to the water in your tank. Dosages and effectiveness obviously vary from brand to brand, but most are actually types of dechlorinators to remove harmful chemicals from tap water. Do you use any sort of chlorine-removal solution in your betta's water? If the nitrogen or ammonia levels in your tank are off (can depend on type of fish) that could be contributing to his stress levels. The temperature of the water could also be causing him some stress if it's too low or high for a betta. Stress could be a contributing factor in his tail biting.

The best advice I can give you is to google some sites that specifically detail betta care and see if your tank's levels are A-okay =)

I also read that strong artificial or natural light can add to his stress, so maybe the light kept on at night is too strong for his liking?

I have a kitten who's around 2 months old named Luna. I have recently discovered that she enjoys stealing anything I happen to leave out and burying it in her litterbox. She's already stolen cotton swabs, makeup, scissors, headphones, and one of my stuffed animals. :/ How do I keep her from doing this?

My cat ruined some very expensive eye shadow today - he broke off the lid before burying it, and now it's full of litter. This is starting to get really annoying. >:C

My cat ruined some very expensive eye shadow today - he broke off the lid before burying it, and now it's full of litter. This is starting to get really annoying. >:C

Have you punished her? :0 Maybe something like, idunno, tapping her gently on the nose or something will eventually get her to stop xd.png

I also read that strong artificial or natural light can add to his stress, so maybe the light kept on at night is too strong for his liking?

i understand that it would- in fact it's probably the biggest problem since it allows him to see his reflection in the tank walls due to how strong the light bulb is. I'll probably try to keep my desk lamp on instead of that light when it gets dark in my room so he won't see his reflection.

The problem though is that I've only caught him doing it a few times, so I can't piece together what causes it the most very well. In general, I want something to help him calm down so that he'll leave his tail long enough for it to grow back. Perhaps there are products like that out there, and I'll be able to find one. Too bad no one seems to know the name of such a product. TwT

Have you punished her? :0 Maybe something like, idunno, tapping her gently on the nose or something will eventually get her to stop xd.png

I tried spraying her with a spray bottle. Now whenever she's burying my stuff, she just runs away whenever I get close enough to her to really do anything. ;_;

I tried spraying her with a spray bottle. Now whenever she's burying my stuff, she just runs away whenever I get close enough to her to really do anything. ;_;

Hm... Well, there are covers for litterboxes, but I'm not sure how those work, since I've never really... seen one. O_e'

I have a question about a rabbit I'm fostering. She's cute and all and litter trained. But almost every other day when I go to clean her litter box, it's tipped over or on it's side far in the cages corner and I have to vaccuum the mess. I've caught her in the act, she bit the tip of the litter box and will fling it. I tried keeping the box down with strings tied so she wouldn't make a mess but she ends up chewing the sides badly. The adoption rescue said they never had this problem with her. I was thinking maybe she's bored and I should buy more toys. Or maybe she doesn't like me and does this to act out and I have to give her back if she hates me sad.gif help..

And, I was wondering if it was the genes or the actual breed of cat which usually has that. I believe she is a Jungle Lynx. And, I was also wondering, are there any cat experts who might be able to identify if she really is a Jungle Lynx or not?

No, she's not. You've got a moggy. A very pretty moggy, but a moggy. There may, possibly, have been some wildcat many generation back, but that's about it.

Unlike dogs cats stop being part of a recogniseable 'breed' within a couple of generations outside of a selective breeding programme. It's pretty safe to say that if a cat is not a registered pedigree than at best it's a [x breed]-cross, and it's more likely to be just a moggy.

One more quick question. My neighbor says they put a bit of butter on their cat's legs or back because it distracts them when they lick it and it helps passes hairballs. Has anyone ever heard of this? Sounds fishy and kinda dangerous on the kitties tummy...

I have two staffies, a new little 6 month puppy and an old 12 year old.

The 12 year old has been shaking since a pup, she's fine (a little grumpy with the new puppy) and stuff, but should we be worried about the shaking? She's been doing it since birth. She's not cold; on the hottest day she'd still lie a few millimetres from the heater on full.

The puppy's been limping, the vet said a bone on her kneecap is being pulled off and she'll be limping for her whole life without an expensive surgery. However, over the week she's been getting better. They gave us a pain killer, and I'm wondering if I should keep her on it? We put it on her dinner (not her breakfast) and she loves it.

I have a question about a rabbit I'm fostering. She's cute and all and litter trained. But almost every other day when I go to clean her litter box, it's tipped over or on it's side far in the cages corner and I have to vaccuum the mess. I've caught her in the act, she bit the tip of the litter box and will fling it. I tried keeping the box down with strings tied so she wouldn't make a mess but she ends up chewing the sides badly. The adoption rescue said they never had this problem with her. I was thinking maybe she's bored and I should buy more toys. Or maybe she doesn't like me and does this to act out and I have to give her back if she hates me sad.gif help..

She's probably either stressed or bored. Does she live in cage, pen, or is she free-range? Rabbits that live in cages tend to get bored easily. Try taking her out and playing with her. Or just cuddle and pet her! Hope this helped! biggrin.gif

First part of the solution is to stop leaving your stuff out. Kittens are very playful and curious and will try to get into just about anything. If you have to, put you stuff in a dresser drawer she can't pull open in your room.

If you can't get close enough to use a spray bottle all the time, start saying NO, loudly and with a stern tone, when you see her doing stuff you don't want her to do (say this also even when you use the spray bottle; it'll help it stick).

The 12 year old has been shaking since a pup, she's fine (a little grumpy with the new puppy) and stuff, but should we be worried about the shaking? She's been doing it since birth. She's not cold; on the hottest day she'd still lie a few millimetres from the heater on full.

I think at her age you might not need to bother. If it hasn't turned out to be something serious by the time she's 12, it probably won't. If it gets worse, get it checked. Likewise if you really get worried about it, also get it checked. It can't hurt to check on it and make sure she's really okay.

The puppy's been limping, the vet said a bone on her kneecap is being pulled off and she'll be limping for her whole life without an expensive surgery. However, over the week she's been getting better. They gave us a pain killer, and I'm wondering if I should keep her on it? We put it on her dinner (not her breakfast) and she loves it.

When did she start doing better? Before or after you started administering the painkiller?

If she started getting better AFTER the painkiller doses began, she probably isn't feeling the need to limp because she doesn't really feel it anymore.

Either way it's worth considering doing the surgery. Slipping kneecaps, weak ligaments, etc in the knee aren't fun even for people and knees happen to be highly useful. c:

No, she's not. You've got a moggy. A very pretty moggy, but a moggy. There may, possibly, have been some wildcat many generation back, but that's about it.

Unlike dogs cats stop being part of a recogniseable 'breed' within a couple of generations outside of a selective breeding programme. It's pretty safe to say that if a cat is not a registered pedigree than at best it's a [x breed]-cross, and it's more likely to be just a moggy.

Okay. All I know is that her mother is a bob-cat. But her father could be a moggy, which could make her one. Thank you for the info. smile.gif

Q: I had a question about my new cat. She has an extra toe on her front legs. And, I was wondering if it was the genes or the actual breed of cat which usually has that. I believe she is a Jungle Lynx. And, I was also wondering, are there any cat experts who might be able to identify if she really is a Jungle Lynx or not?

According two wikipedia, there are at least two actual polydactyl cat 'breeds' (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyl_cat), although it's more likely that she's just a normal (albeit polydactyl) moggy.

I believe she might also have a bit of pixie bob in her, since my father told me she can be trained to fetch and walk on a leash. All I need now is a leash smile.gif. Thank you all for the help.

Any cat can be trained to do that. We have siamese that play fetch, and we used to walk a deaf-white mog on a leash.

But, yeah. No pedigree = not part of a breed. You'd call her a wild-cat cross if you *know* her mum was a wildcate. Not sure how you'd get a wildcat mum to let humans near her kits though huh.gif

Q: I have two birds that are Cockatiels, and they are both male. One, Sunny, I have had for about 3-4 years now, and he loves me very much. A few months ago, my mother bought me another cockatiel, named Sukai. They both stay in the same cage, and whenever one bird is removed, the other squeals until I bring the bird back. However, Sunny, whenever he goes to preen Sukai, ends up pulling out feathers or having a violent disagreement with Sukai. Now, Sukai has half a crest, and a big hole in his cheek from this. Any idea why Sunny is doing this?

Also, with Sunny; he always tends to walk around on the floor of their cage, and much to my disgust, eats both his own, and Sukai's faeces. Why is he doing this, and how can I get him to stop it?

Q: I have two birds that are Cockatiels, and they are both male. One, Sunny, I have had for about 3-4 years now, and he loves me very much. A few months ago, my mother bought me another cockatiel, named Sukai. They both stay in the same cage, and whenever one bird is removed, the other squeals until I bring the bird back. However, Sunny, whenever he goes to preen Sukai, ends up pulling out feathers or having a violent disagreement with Sukai. Now, Sukai has half a crest, and a big hole in his cheek from this. Any idea why Sunny is doing this?

Also, with Sunny; he always tends to walk around on the floor of their cage, and much to my disgust, eats both his own, and Sukai's faeces. Why is he doing this, and how can I get him to stop it?

A: While I cannot give you a definite answer that is the concrete solution to your problems, I have owned a cockatiel for 5 years, and have always loved to read those petstore books and stocked up on pet information manuals.

I don't know much about your bird's background, did you get them when they were young, or passed down from an original owner?

An overall generic answer to most bird problems is a combination of stress and/or boredom. People look at leetle birdies, and think they're cute and all that, but they (especially the parrot family) are incredibly intelligent. They need lots of stimulation around them (toys? mirror?), which is absolutely awesome that you got your Sunny a cage-mate. I think that in his over-excitement of finally having a friend, he is over-preening Sukai to the point of plucking. Most bird books will tell you that feather plucking are the result of having nothing better to do. As long as there's no blood or sores or signs of pain/infection, it SHOULD be just a phase, and it should pass soon. But if it continues, a vet should be consulted.

As for your poop thing, my cockatiel ate her own poop too, at one point. She stopped after a bit, so I never knew why. According to some other forums I looked at, it isn't uncommon for birds to do that. But you really should have a bottom grid in the cage so that she can't get to it. Does Sukai have vitamin deficiency? Actively eating a cuttlebone or mineral block? This next suggestion is highly unlikely (but it happened to my two parakeets), but is there any chance of Sunny bullying Sukai? I remember my Ruffles, whos older and been here longer than Chirpy would always get the food bowl, and Chirpy would always have to forage on the floor, then eat from the food bowl after Ruffles was done.

I hope this is helpful! Heres a pic of my fatty wub.gif Yes, she was a really fat bird.

user posted image

I got Sunny from a breeder at around 6 months, so he was quite young when I got him. I am unsure about Sukai, though, because he was bought at a stockfeed shop around the corner, so I am clueless of his age. They do have some toys in their cage, but they don't seem to pay much attention to them, and there is a mineral 'bell' in the cage.

There has been the occasional occurrence that Sunny has just randomly started arguing with Sukai, and push him off the branch, or when I give them food, Sunny bites Sukai whenever he goes near the bowl.

Here is Sunny: linked for size

And Sukai (hole in cheek shown): linky

What would be a good guard dog for an apartment?

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving into an apartment together later this year, and have agreed that getting a guard dog is a good idea. I've already looked into a place, but haven't had the time to actually look at one of their open appts.

Our main concern is size; he's worried he might step or sit on it if it's too small, and I'm worried about if it'll be too big to live comfortably with us. Excessive grooming is something I want to avoid, and I want to be able to train it relatively quickly. Energy level isn't much an issue, since I'll be giving it frequent walks and exercise once we get it.

The only local breeder I know has German Shepherds, and will have a litter ready around the same time we'll be looking. Personally I'd prefer a Doberman, because I worked with the breed when my Dad was breeding them some years back.

What else would be a good idea?

What would be a good guard dog for an apartment?

My boyfriend and I are going to be moving into an apartment together later this year, and have agreed that getting a guard dog is a good idea. I've already looked into a place, but haven't had the time to actually look at one of their open appts.

Our main concern is size; he's worried he might step or sit on it if it's too small, and I'm worried about if it'll be too big to live comfortably with us. Excessive grooming is something I want to avoid, and I want to be able to train it relatively quickly. Energy level isn't much an issue, since I'll be giving it frequent walks and exercise once we get it.

The only local breeder I know has German Shepherds, and will have a litter ready around the same time we'll be looking. Personally I'd prefer a Doberman, because I worked with the breed when my Dad was breeding them some years back.

What else would be a good idea?

I have sent you a PM smile.gif I raised Australian Cattle Dogs for many years and worked with, or researched, many different breeds. Add to that, my BF and I also live in an apartment and we have a 2 year old Doberman and a 4 year old Australian Cattle Dog.

To re-iterate what I said in the PM: Shepherd's shed like there's no tomorrow, are a big dog, are extremely intelligent, and not usually happy with apartment life. Not a good choice for an apartment dog.

Dobes (I missed in my PM, that in your OP that you have had some experience with them,) are NOT happy in apartments. They are just too high energy. Yes, WE have one in an apartment, but I take him for 6 walks a day (4 short and 2 really long ones,) plus, one of us is always home with the two dogs, and they have treats and toys galore to keep them both entertained.

One thing I would recommend is you forget the words Guard Dog. You do not want a Guard Dog. You are looking for a new family member who will also look after the home, but without violence. A true Guard Dog would be too dangerous to have in an apartment and around the rest of the apartment community. Any dog that lets out a bark to let someone know that they are there is a good dog. Even Chi's can be good watch dogs, since they raise a lot of noise.

A really good website for any new dog owner or a dog owner that has any questions is this one: http://www.dolforums.com.au/

It's an Australian website, but they have an international community. Even though it says it's for Purebreds, they do welcome anyone's dogs, no matter what type smile.gif

Use your heart to choose, once you have chosen a breed, but use your brain when deciding on the actual breed.

Edited by CDM

I personally wouldn't go for a bigger breed in an apartment. I guess it's doable, but in my mind big dogs and apartments just don't mix based on things I've observed with friends and their dogs. A friend's German Shepherd literally tore her apartment to pieces. Everything, including baseboards, was chewed up from one end to the other. I couldn't handle that.

A Bull Terrier might be good. They're not too big, not too small and might be able to handle an apartment a lot better than a larger breed would. There are a lot of Terrier/smaller breeds that are kind of fiesty. I'd just keep researching breeds until one clicks. smile.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic