dr.bieber229

Animal Questions

I made this for all of you animal lovers. I too am an animal lover. So anyone have an answer to my question, I wonder. Let's see.

Q: My guinea pig is peeing blood and vomiting. It smells REALLY bad, if that helps. My mom said it's too costly to take her to a vet, and i am scared she is going to die. What should I do and what might have caused this?

Someday when any animal of yours is sick, you, alone, might be able to save it by just looking here. So please keep this going and don't let it die!

And, yes I did not see this anywhere. But, if it is there, the mods will take it down. But I need someone to answer my question badly.

Edited by dr.bieber229

your guinea pig sounds pretty poorly and i am no expert on them so I can't offer you a solution. i would suggest that although you can hope it makes a full recovery prepare yourself that it may not.

Has your poor piggy:

Been let out unsupervised?

Been near other pigs?

Been outside?

If she ate a houseplant, many are poisonous and she would definitively need a vet. If it's an illness (probably not the case) she may have contracted that from another pig. If she's been outside, she could have eaten a bad plant or feces.

I have found the shocking answer. Right when I saw this I cried

Blood in the pee, or squeaking while peeing; a serious and painful condition, a veterinarian should check your pet for a possible urinary tract infection (UTI) or problem with the bladder or kidneys. A sour smell could indicate a cyst, bladder or urinary tract infection, or stones. and still am crying.

Edited by dr.bieber229

Sorry about your guinea pig, it really sounds like she has some serious problems. If nothing else can be done, I'd try to make her as comfortable as possible-- like a shoe box lined with a towel or rags-- and give her little bits of water at a time.

If you find you don't have the money to be able to take your pet to a vet if needed, it's probably better to avoid getting new pets for a while. At least until you're sure of the problem and that it wasn't environmental, diet, or something that could be repeated in the future.

I think it's more to the line of, her mother doesn't think it's worth it to take the pig to the vet than not having the money for it. Try convincing your mom that if she doesn't go, she'll die. This sounds like an emergency to me.

Blood in pee in any animal is a sign that it's a very, very urgent matter. Tell your mother that if it's too expensive the treatment you are willing to take a part job or work extra in your house to help for payment for your pet.

In the worst of the cases, they might have to euthanize her if it is already too advanced the disease to be cured.

Nope, not too late! The smell started disappearing and shes peeing normally. For now, at least. smile.gif

And, I'm not old enough to get a part time job. At least 3 years away.

Any other questions? This is not all about my questions, what about others?

Sorry for double post. sad.gif

If you know about the edit button you may as well use it. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Nope, not too late! The smell started disappearing and shes peeing normally. For now, at least. smile.gif

And, I'm not old enough to get a part time job. At least 3 years away.

You could mow the lawn for other people, walk/wash their dogs (I used to do this a lot) or babysit some kids. even if the pay is nothing great, it can mean a difference between convincing your mother you really love that guinea pig.

And it's good that the smell is dissapearing, but you should still check her, no disease or problem will dissapear in a single day and leave no traces left.

If you want a faster way to earn money, you could make a deal with her.

With my parents, if I get a 100% on something, then they give me a dollar.

I know a couple of my friends who babysit, and they say its pretty fun.

Sounds like your pig was extremely dehydrated to me. If that's the case, the vomitting may have led to it. Did you forget to change her water for an extended period of time right before this happened?

I know after taking our mastiff on a family trip, he was in such a high state of excitement for an entire day that he lost enough water from panting (despite being given an ample supply of water) to be dehydrated. After we came back to the place we were staying, I had to run him until he was too tired to run just to get him to leave that excited state of mind. After that, his pee looked blood-tinged. A lot of water later and it thankfully looked normal again. He hasn't had any urine problems since or before that incident.

Good luck with your guinea pig~

I believe I can ask a question now?

Q: My pet bird is scared of other birds...What do I do?

That is a tricky problem you have there albinosilver...

Have you tired putting two cages next together. One with your scared bird in and one with the other birds in?

Also how many birds do you have?

To many birds at once would scare me to but if you say let you one bird mingle with one of the others apart from the rest there might be hope. This is what we did with our budgies.

The scared bird is okay with other birds being in the cage next to him, but the moment another bird is in his cage, he freaks out. And it's only one bird.

He actually prefers my attention over another bird's. But I'm busy and can't always play with him, so I wanted to get him a friend. Only to find out that he's terrified of other birds.

Sounds more to me like he just wants attention and acts freaked just to gain it.

Im not an expert on birds, but thats how several of my pets reacted when introduced to a new pet.

Q: My pet bird is scared of other birds...What do I do?

Try getting the shy bird to interact with your other birds more. Maybe he's just not used to being that close to them.

Edited by choco566

Just let him get stuck with one bird even if it freaks him out... but do keep an eye. Eventually he will tire out and chill.

Just let him get stuck with one bird even if it freaks him out... but do keep an eye. Eventually he will tire out and chill.

or have a heart attack or hurt itself or the other bird. Please don't stress out the bird. Birds don't handle force or flooding techniques very well, especially scared ones.

Birds take a long time to adjust, sometimes months. Leave the cages next to each other for now. Some birds like the company of other birds and they can benefit just from being near them. Some birds don't like/need physical contact from other birds.

I wouldn't start introducing the birds to each other's cages until the one that is fearful starts showing interest in the other bird. Then introduce the other bird to the scared bird's cage for small amounts of time and building up to long periods of time.

I think my leopard gecko has eye problems. She has a hard time hunting crickets, and even when she corners one, she'll lunge for it when she's too far away. All she manages to do is scare it into hopping across the terrarium. I realize her depth perception probably isn't as good as a humans', but...is this kind of problem normal?

I don't have a gecko, but the same thing happens with my turtle. I don't think he sees the food though, he smells it/"senses" it. Since he seems to know when there's food even in complete darkness. He often lunges for it and misses, but he gets it eventually.

My salamander's aim is dead on though d:

I personally wouldn't worry about it, with my very little experience on reptiles..

We have three dogs, two GSDs and a Labrador.

Our eldest German Shepherd, Ranger, has some... neurotic behavior when it comes to eating food. We think he might have been neglected or possibly abused before we got him as a puppy, because he's always been sort of scared of men. Took my dad forever to earn his trust, whereas he just latched onto my sister, me, and my mom. Now to get to the problem.

My Dad's usually the one who feeds the hounds in the morning, and gives them their morning pills and cheese. If my mom is not home (like, you know, off to work) and I or my sister are sleeping (so, to Ranger, it's like there are no girls in the house), he refuses to eat his breakfast. He will not take the pill and cheese from my dad. He goes out into the yard and sits. He will sit for hours until one of the girls gets up. Then he comes back inside, will eat, and behaves as if nothing ever happened.

And there lies our conundrum. Obviously, Dad can't seem to win him over with food in the morning. He gets fed in the evening with no problems, no matter who feeds him. It's his switch back to completely normal that's a little strange.

He is 4 years old and he had a few other odd behaviors we've had to train or fix, but this one's quite puzzling to us. Any ideas?