Dr. Paine

Shattered Magic

user posted image

His amber gaze was still ever as quick, sharp and swift like a darting sparrow. And still, in the warm-colored depths, he could not hold back the immense curiosity he felt over the other male's mention of his old family. The description he faintly recalled from his past fit well with what he saw standing in front of him, but unfortunately, not name came to pass and he had arrived a moment too late to hear the wolves introduce themselves. The female was absolutely unfamiliar, but Talcore cast her an acknowledging glance as to not be rude. When the older male- which the winged warrior noted with a hint of surprise, as he wasn't expecting to encounter elders in this part of the territory- moved in front of the female, Talcore respectfully took a paw-step backwards to show he had no intention of becoming hostile with either of them. Since he recognized neither of their faces, he began to wonder if they were part of the main pack at all.

The change in the older male's voice was blatant to Talcore's trained ears, and instinctively they pressed back slightly. Had the topic been anything else, the well-aged warrior might have left them to their conversation, but... Well, Talcore had no interest in backing out now. No, mention of his old family was far too important to ease the discomfort of an old, surly male wolf.

His eyes narrowed faintly, but he managed to keep the same coldness out of his tone for the time being. "They are a pack I used to...know," he answered after a moment, carefully side-stepping the direct response of "I was a Blessed wolf", just in case such information was not well received. But, as was expected, Talcore lifted his muzzle slightly and gazed steadily, calmly, into the older male's own eyes. "And how exactly do you know of them?"

The wind and water was making standing out in the open widely unpleasant, and he blinked rapidly against the onslaught of rain into his face. His white fur had taken on a steely, pepper-gray hue from the storm, and the blue of his wings was dull and dark. The scent of wet soil and cold water filled his nose, and if it hadn't been for the wind shifting the older male's and the female's scents towards him, he might have not been able to smell anything else. He wrinkled his nose slightly and snorted, irritated by the icy numbness that had overcome the dark flesh of his nose. In doing so, the wind forcefully rushed into his nostrils and filled his nasal cavity with a sharp, stinging coldness. He blinked again in reaction, but, as the warmth of his body quickly fought away the chill, there was a faint, rousing aroma that he caught whiff of before it was swept away again by the rain. Had it come from the pair in front of him? No, it couldn't have; he'd already smelled them after standing in front of them so long. This was something- someone?- different. Completely different. And yet, he was forced to pass it off as a mournful memory, as the scent refused to reveal itself again, no matter how hard he sniffed the air around them.

user posted image

By the time that the yearlings had trailed after the princess, Lucifer's gait had lost its rigid annoyance and once again melted into the fluid, ethereal pace that moved her like an ivory ribbon over the camp grounds. Had she overreacted? It was a possibility, that she wouldn't and couldn't deny. It seemed all she did lately was barge in where her nose didn't belong. What was wrong with her? Lucifer lightly shook her head, sighing inwardly. Duty to her pack? Likely. Though she never had any true reason to be such an obedient follower, she stuck to Quince as though he had saved her life and she owed him some great debt. And since she'd gotten older, her natural, commanding air set her apart from the King because it went against his own authority. She never meant to be a conflicting force, and she showed as much by completing her duties as asked, each and every time.

After leading the younger wolves away from Ronan and Rhoshan, Lucifer glanced over her chalky shoulder at them and said in her normal, rich voice, "Vheni, Dayhl, go help the hunters bring in the rest of the food. They should be coming back now." Her ears twitched lightly from noticing the Alphas' voices on the wind before nodding in the direction some of the first hunters had already come in from. It seemed they made a few good kills; some had a plethora of rabbits and small game, and she saw Ink pulling in a horse carcass by a shadow-like platform. Given the prowess of their hunters, Lucifer was certain there was at least one other horse in need of being brought back.

At Ava's presence by her side, Lucifer slowed somewhat, her eyes glancing downwards for a moment before rising to meet the Beta's. The compliment brought a faint heat to her face out of surprise, but she merely blinked and answered softly, "Thank you, Ava. But I... I should have let you handle that. I apologize for overreaching my duties." Rarely Lucifer showed regret or shame, but for a split moment the tips of her ears folded back, as if in embarrassment.

user posted image

Dayhl trotted purposefully near Lucifer's hind quarters, her dark face angled downwards a bit as she mulled over what had just taken place. First, Ronan had barged in, telling her about some awesome, deadly she-wolf that shared her name. Dayhl had been excited about that, most definitely. But then Vheni stepped into the picture and the coincidences just seemed to sky rocket. There was the Shaede wolf that Ronan spoke of, the one that comforted Dayhl in her fitful dreams, and then Roshan, the wolf that Vheni seemed to know and for some reason, Dayhl knew the name of. It was so weird. But when the male pup arrived, it was just too much. Too bizarre for belief, and it made Dayhl cling tighter to her life that she had now. She didn't like knowing that she could have been someone else. She was just Dayhl, born into this pack, whose best friend was mute and made Dayhl feel safe. Warm. The closest thing she felt to as a family.

Her brow furrowed as she thought, and she almost didn't notice Lucifer slowing down before she lightly bumped her forehead against the white she-wolf's leg. Lucifer didn't seem to notice, and instead instructed her and Vheni to help the returning hunters. Dayhl's ears immediately perked, and she stood taller, the wet fur along her back puffing out slightly in her excitement. She wished she could have gone on the hunt with them instead of being stuck with headaches over the loner's stories, but this duty was good enough for her.

"Sweet," she breathed, before looking over to Vheni and wagging her tail for the first time in the past half-hour. Though she was certain her friend wanted to be a warrior instead, Dayhl hoped it was better than sitting around in the rain for her. She gave a short, playful growl before launching herself from the ground and sprinting off towards the grasslands, barking at the hunters already venturing back to camp. The smell of fresh meat was strong enough for the young wolf to follow through the rain, though several times she thought she lost the trail before it hit her full-force in the nose again. In her excitement, Dayhl forgot to check if Vheni was following behind, and sped off across the hills as if on a hunt herself. Of course, she knew she was supposed to be tracking the wolves in the hunting party so that she could help them drag back whatever it was she killed... but the heavy scents of rabbits and deer led her in several different directions, until she entirely put aside thought of helping the others bring back the food. She would show them she was good enough to do some hunting on her own!

She sank her large claws into the earth to prevent herself from slipping on the muddy slopes. The burn of the icy air in her lungs and the physical effort upon racing up the incline brought force a delighted shine to her golden eyes, but it was nothing compared to the excitement that boiled in her blood in anticipation of a kill. Would she even find something? She didn't really know. She let her nose lead her to where the scents were the strongest, to something she could follow and pounce on with the skill to kill it quickly. Then she'd bring it back to Jin and show him just how ready she was to be a huntress!

As the ground leveled out slightly, Dayhl stuck her dark nose to the earth and inhaled the numerous scents that saturated the area around her. It was difficult to make them out because of the water that threatened to wash it all away, but before too long, she found a particularly sweet scent that set her off in another burst of energy down the side of the hill. She was approaching a rather thick swath of trees and bushes before she slowed down and carefully picked her way through the vegetation. Now that the scent was shielded somewhat from the water, she paused for a moment as her thoughts scrutinized the scent she had picked up. That's not any rabbit I know, she thought, tilting her head slightly in confusion. Or deer. Or bird. The scent blended nicely with the foliage and Dayhl stood there for a few more moments, trying to figure out what exactly she had been tracking.

She was approaching a group of bushes when her keen eyes saw something that caused her to stop in her tracks. There, a perfect shade of reds and browns that would have otherwise gone unnoticed had she not been staring at that spot for the past five minutes, was the outline of a wolf's rump and tail. Dayhl gazed at it, slightly slack-jawed, wondering what to do. Now she realized why she hadn't recognized the scent; it had belonged to a wolf, and not any wolf she had ever met before.

She couldn't see the wolf's face, as it was burrowed deeply into the branches of the bush, but after a minute Dayhl gave herself a reassuring shake and demanded in a curious, and faintly uncomfortable voice, "Who are you? And what are you doing?"

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Quince had been about to lay donw when Char started to talk about what happened with Jin, Xylia and herself and was rather curious, but she didn't give anymore details other than "we had a discussion." She paused though before continuing but once she did, she addressed something that had been suggested by a few elders of the pack, but he found himself stopping in the middle of laying down and becoming rather nervous. It would be for the best of the pack is what he had to keep telling himself as he thought it over. They would have to make sure that everything was public and hopefully none would question them.

He had hoped that Char would have chosen a mate amongst her own pack becaue that way there wouldn't be any opposition, but she did have a point and she was definitely right. He wiped the surprised attitude from his body as he laid down smoothly and looked at her through his neon blue eyes. It was something that had been on his mind for some time now, he just didn't like hearing it or acknowledgeing that it could help the entire pack.

With a sigh, he looked down at the moss, noting that it would need to be replaced some time. "I see. I had hoped that you would have been able to choose a mate for yourself that you would have enjoyed being around, but that is no longer the case and duty must come first right?" he aslked rhetorically. "There is no reason to think this through for it is something that must be done. I do not mind Char, as long as you don't mind. But.."

Quince had no idea how to ask her about everything that being mates implied. The old ones would hassle them about pups, and the young ones would be looking for them to show signs of affection. Quince didn't want to force her into anything and hoped that she wouldfigure out what he was trying to ask because it was hard to ask....but then again....be a man!

"But what do you want this to entail? The old ones will ask when pups would be due, and the young ones would ask for romantic gestures." he said and knew that he would treat her as his mate of course, but would she be comfortable with it?

Xylia stepped across the threshhold of their den and was about to shake off after Jin had but then stopped to hear what his comment was. "I do do I? I find it rather annoying because then I can't fly." she said taking an odd hop-fly over to Jin and started to shake all of the water built up in her wings and fur all over him. When she was finished, she stepped back and shook once more to make sure that she was dry and sat down with a smug expression.

"Has anyone ever told you how funny you look when you are a fluff ball?" she asked him not hiding the smile on her face. They hadn't been alone together for a long time and now they could truly be alone without fear of interruption. All wolves would have to be in their caves until the rain passed and once it had, they would then have to become betas again, but for now, they could thoroughly enjoy each others' presence.

Vheni

Vheni followed the majestic white wolf, lost in her own thoughts, trotting quickly to catch up. She stayed behind Dahyl, and stopped abruptly when the darker yearling collided with Lucifer's leg. She listened as Lucifer told them what to do, then met Dahyl's excited gaze with a wag of her own tail, grinning wolfishly. She bunched her muscles and sprang after Dahyl as the yearling sprinted off, her wiry body flashing after the darker pup.

The smell of fresh meat was pungent in the air, and in her excitement, Vheni quickly caught up to Dahyl, staying slightly behind her. If Dahyl was going to be a huntress, she could have the opportunity to track the hunters and the kills down.

However, it quickly became evident that Dahyl was not going looking for the hunters, and Vheni slowed her pace a bit, though she still kept up with her friend. "Where are you going?" Vheni asked after some time of running. Dahyl didn't seem to be following a certain trail or scent at all, but Vheni smelled lots of animal trails, both stale and fresh, as they bounded along the terrain.

"I don't think this is what Lucifer meant," Vheni called to Dahyl, "but it's fun so I don't care. Do you think we can hunt something?"

When Dahyl didn't reply, Vheni kept silent, but rather followed her friend across the land until it became evident that Dahyl had found a trail that she was following. Vheni followed the darker yearling, wondering exactly what she was tracking, for the smell was unfamiliar. It must be an animal that I've never seen, Vheni thought. Dahyl's probably going after something, and I don't know it because I haven't had the proper training.

Unprotesting, Vheni followed her friend until the dark-colored yearling stopped, sniffing. Vheni stopped next to Dahyl. She could smell a faint trace of the scent, but not more than that. She looked around, and a unnatural texture stood out to her from the ground, and upon closer inspection, she found it to be dark colored fur, perhaps a lighter shade than her companions, but definitely darker than Vheni was herself. It was perfect for camouflage, which was probably the reason that Vheni hadn't noticed the fur earlier, even with her advanced vision. ...A wolf? Not one in any of our packs. I've never smelled this one before. She sniffed the air again, and was about to nudge Dahyl to tell her that there was an unknown wolf, but when she looked at Dahyl, Vheni realized that the pup had also spotted the new wolf.

Vheni remained silent as Dahyl spoke to the wolf, but moved slightly closer to her friend, tense, and ready to fight if necessary, but also ready to listen to the wolf if they had to. After all, this was none but another adventure, although, technically, they were disobeying orders from Lucifer.

Edited by sapphiredragon73

| Ava |

Ava blinked at Lucifer's apology. "Oh, no, Lucifer, don't be sorry," she said, laughing a bit and shaking her head. She smiled reassuringly at the other she-wolf. She had only just noticed Lucifer's ear fold back but it had happened so quickly, Ava could have mistaken it for a trick of the light. "I don't mind. I'm not a stickler for that kind of thing," she paused and flashed Lucifer a smile. "When it's a wolf I like, anyway." she added before looking ahead.

Quince should be back by now. She should probably find him and give report, even if there was little to tell. Or...she could wait until Quince found her. Yes, she wouldn't want to interrupt what he was doing for something as trivial as Ronan might be nuts.

"You handled it just as I would have," she started, glancing back at Lucifer. She suddenly remembered her earlier worries about the packs coming together. She looked away and up at the sky, blinking away the rain drops. "I think it'll be a good thing," she continued, "The packs coming together. It'll be hard to change, though. I like Char well enough, so I'm trying to work better with her. Still, it's hard to listen to anyone but Quince."

| Tanis |

She had remained perfectly still, finally letting her gaze flicker to the other two wolves. Now that she looked at him, the old male looked strangely familiar. She could not name him, or even place him in her memory but there was just something about him. The she-wolf was completely unfamiliar and she didn't give her a second though, especially since she didn't seem threatening at all.

When Talcore spoke again, her ears flicked around to catch his woods. They were talking about the Blessed pack! Maybe...maybe others were around here. Had they finally come? Still, she remained motionless, not yet able to face him. She tensed suddenly, ready to dash off, when she noticed Talcore sniffing the air. For a moment, she'd thought he had caught her scent but the wind had only teased him, giving him a brief moment before sweeping it away again. She let out a breath of relief and lay her head on her paws, ears perked forward once more.

"Who are you? And what are you doing?"

The young pup's voice startled her, for she'd been so focused on what was ahead of her that she had not heard them up behind her. She swung her head around to face them, gold eyes peering at them through the dim light. Two, female pups. What were they doing out here? And in this storm! She shook her head slightly but refused to move from her hiding place, instead shifting around so she could see them and Talcore.

"I'm observing," she told the pup, her voice low and quiet. "And my name is Tanis," she added quickly before looking back to the trio, who seemed to still be in conversation. She looked back at the pups. "Well, if you're going to stay here, get down. They'll see you."

Edited by crypticsoul

user posted image

Lucifer was, to say the least, surprised at Ava's reaction. The Beta was a fierce wolf, one of the few that Lucifer respected and admired solely from observation. There hadn't been much time since Lucifer's promotion to Gamma that she'd spent talking to many of the others. In fact, one would say she didn't make conversation at all, only speaking when spoken to or when asked questions by her higher-ups. Most of the other wolves in their pack she ignored, since a good portion of those her age or older knew of her birth heritage and of the actions of her parents. Those that accepted Lucifer as an equal were treated respectfully as she could, but even then, she had trouble facing others. She was...unused to pleasantries.

Thus, standing beside the Beta, Lucifer found it almost strange to feel the kindness of the other she-wolf. She gazed at Ava for a long moment, studying her face, her eyes, the color of her fur. Everything. It was a wonder to Lucifer why in the world the Beta would find it enjoyable to be around such an aloof and antisocial wolf such as herself. Was Ava not off-put by Lucifer's isolated yet commanding nature? She blinked lightly, the faint glow of her cobalt eyes twinkling against her white (which had now darkened into a sleek silver from the rain) cheeks. She...likes me? Lucifer wondered, standing motionless, still watching the Beta with a mixture of astonishment and confusion, though her expression only betrayed hints of the emotions swarming from Ava's words. It was... nice, Lucifer decided, to have someone like her. Not that she didn't think Quince disliked her or that she was particularly detested, but she had yet to actually hear someone proclaim such a sentiment. She found it delightful, and slowly a warm, soft smile turned at her muzzle and crinkled at her eyes.

Lucifer was preparing to respond with a similar statement, when Ava began to speak again and the white princess kept her mouth closed, not wishing to interrupt the Beta. When Ava looked to the sky, Lucifer followed suit, squinting her eyes a bit against the rain. "Yes," she said after Ava had fallen silent, "I believe so too. We've already lived together for a while, and I find the Northern wolves to be good company. They are talented, likewise. I do not mind the change as much as others do, and in all honesty find the resistance to be a bit...immature, so to speak." She paused for a moment, letting her deep, feminine voice to trail off before adding in a soft tone, "Though I am skeptical of this mate pairing idea they seem to have set up. I was always under the impression the bonding of mates were between wolves with a great romantic interest, not simply over politics. Though I suppose the two might develop something similar, if they haven't already to my knowledge." She turned to face Ava, keeping her eyes steady as she spoke on the Beta's own, almost as if she were searching the she-wolf's own thoughts about the matter. "I cannot say it won't be good for the packs in the end, as long as their pairing works out in the end. That is my only doubt, I believe." Lucifer found it almost easy to talk to Ava, and was once again surprised with how well she found herself getting along with the Beta. Perhaps... Perhaps Luce wasn't destined to be alone forever, after all.

After a moment's silence to think, Lucifer stepped up into the space directly beside Ava, her shoulder faintly touching the Beta's. With her nose, she gently and lightly nudged the she-wolf's neck scruff, a few inches from the back of the wolf's right ear. It was a rather easy location to reach for Lucifer, given she stood a little taller than her comrade. Her eyes momentarily swiveled towards the dens sculpted from the earth and stone, particularly to the large-mouthed den that gaped near the front of the camp entrance, a rather good look-out spot for returning wolves. "Come on, now," the white Gamma said softly, "Best get out of the rain. Having chills certainly won't make for a good night's rest."

user posted image

Dayhl noticed the lighter-colored pelt from the corner of her eyes and smiled to herself upon realizing Vheni had decided to follow her, after all. She was glad now that the other yearling was with her, and felt slightly guilty for not answering her friend earlier. She had just been so wrapped up with the prospect of hunting, she hadn't thought to answer when spoken to. Hopefully Vheni would understand, especially now that they had found something a bit more exciting than food.

The dark yearling wanted to lean over and whisper suspicions into Vheni's ear, but she faintly recalled that the she-wolf had trouble hearing in one of them and couldn't remember which one it was. That, and, the wolf they had come across had suddenly turned around upon hearing Dayhl's questions, and the darker pup found herself staring at the face peeking out from the bush leaves. Though she found nothing familiar about the face, the scent, or the coat color of the wolf at all, she suddenly had a very bizarre sensation in the back of her mind. It was extremely similar to the buzz she had when she first met the white flying wolf.

Speaking of... Dayhl lifted her head slightly to peer over the tops of the bushes, and just made out the head and wing-shape of the old warrior. The unfamiliar female's words were intriguing once Dayhl realized she was spying on him. And were there others? Dayhl could hear voices, and ducked down slightly in response to Tanis's instructions. Not that Dayhl was prepared to answer to some strange old lady, but she was damn curious as to what exactly she was doing, and why she was doing it.

She glanced over at Vheni for a moment, a brow raised and her expression scrunched with incredulity and amusement. However, with a shrug, she whispered, hoping the other yearling would hear, "Might as well, maybe we'll learn something good." With a wink, she hunkered down on the ground and slid into the bush on her belly, wiggling in but keeping cautious as to not rustle the bush too much and give away the fact that she was trying to hide there. She kept a good three feet between herself and the unknown loner, just in case; though she felt Tanis wasn't going to be a threat to either her or Vheni, Dayhl couldn't help her pup-like sense of suspicion upon encountering the unknown.

Her small nose poked through the branches until she was able to find a small space in the leaves to gaze out from. The first wolf she saw was the winged warrior, and he looked absolutely drenched. She could have laughed from how silly he looked, even if his expression was dead serious. Though that might have just made him look funnier in Dayhl's eyes. "Oh hey, we know him," she whispered, not looking at Tanis although she was addressing the older she-wolf, "His name's Tal-something. Talcorn.....core? Talcore. He just came here a little while ago with another wolf named Ronan. They're pretty weird, and they know some of the wolves in our pack somehow." She spouted this information as if it were incredibly important, and she glanced once at Tanis to see if she had heard her. However, when other voices met her ears, she perked up again and looked through the bushes. "And those two are-...." Dayhl's voice abruptly trailed off once she set eyes on one of the wolves Talcore was talking to. Her gaze had immediately skimmed over the female in favor of the one standing beside her. The old, worn-looking male, who didn't appear all that pleased to see Talcore. But Dayhl's gaze had grown wider, almost in fear, as she stared at him. Disbelief. Panic. Wonder. All of the markings the male bore matched exactly the wolf in her dreams, the figment that often visited her on her most troubled of nights. The one that soothed the nightmares she didn't understand. The white color and the dark patches, the missing chunk from the ear, the scars... Dayhl stared and stared and stared, unable to fathom what she saw before her. Her mind desperately told her to get up and run, to run far away, from the old male, but her body remained unresponsive. She sat, like a statue, staring, and shaking quietly in her spot.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Vheni

Vheni watched as the stranger wolf turned to them. She stared at the head poking out of the bushes, and although she was sure that she had never seen this strange new wolf before, she felt a glimmer of recognition, along with a sudden, strong urge to tear into something, like she had suddenly been in battle. Then it was gone as quickly as it had come, leaving Vheni's heart pumping. Whoa, what was that? Vheni wondered. She flattened her ears as the loner began speaking, but decided that this strange new wolf didn't seem hostile at all. Vheni did not say anything, and let Dahyl do the talking.

When the darker yearling suggested that they go and look at what the wolf was looking at, Vheni followed Dahyl soundlessly. Something told her that this wolf wouldn't hurt them, but her common sense kept her on guard, just in case. Vheni lined up next to Dahyl to peek through the branches of the bush as well, and looked at the wolves on the other side. There was that other new wolf, his fur soaked through. He looked ridiculous, especially with his expression. And the other one... Vheni was sure that she had seen the younger form of that wolf in her dreams, her night visions. He was the same one, alright, if not a bit older.

How was it so possible that they could meet so many of these wolves that she knew, all in one day? First Ronan, then Roshan, then Shaede... for Vheni was sure that it was Shaede. Struggling not to reveal her confusion or mixed emotions, Vheni kept her face strictly forward. Dahyl began talking to the stranger wolf, and Vheni listened halfheartedly.

How is it possible that the wolves from my dreams are real? They... should have just been a figment of my imagination! Yet there's Roshan, though admittedly younger, but then I'm older in my dreams! And Ronan and... Talcore, I feel like i knew him once. That name rings a bell. And what's up with me feeling like killing something when Tanis is there? And now it's Shaede too. Is Ronan's crazy story really possible? Or is this all another of my dreams? But it doesn't feel like a dream! I-

Vheni's attention turned from her jumbled thoughts to her friend as Dahyl suddenly trailed off. Vheni turned to face her friend, surprised to find Dahyl staring at Shaede with a strange look in her eyes, but Vheni could not begin to fathom what it was that the yearling was thinking. Does she know him too? If she does, how?

Vheni looked worriedly at Dahyl, who seemed to be frozen, or in shock. "Dahyl?" she whispered quietly, so that Tanis wouldn't hear. Never show weakness to a potential enemy. "You okay?"

Edited by sapphiredragon73

"I am aware," Char said plainly, staring at the rain falling in front of the den. "I wouldn't have agreed to this if I hadn't accepted those facts. I understand if you aren't all for it though, but I accepted this knowing we would be mates in every sense of the word."

She prodded at the moss, closing her eyes and giving a slight yawn. Yes, a part of her had also hoped that she would be able to find a mate out of... real love, not sheer duty like this. But... again, she reassured herself, Quince was good. They did like each other, and... who knew? Maybe with time, they would grow to really love each other.

Quince nodded, noting that Char seemed to be thoroughly exhausted. "That's settled then. We'll announce it after the rain lets up and we can assemble in the middle of the clearing so all can hear. I do intend though, to find another Beta. i don't think that it is fair to only have three even if Ava and Xylia do work well together." He chuckled at the thought then sighed.

In a show of understanding, he touched his nose to the top of her head and let out a slow breath then walked out of the den into the rain. he hoped that that single touch would be enough to show her, for the time, that he would be her mate to the best of his ability. It didn't matter that they didn't have romance, that could grow.

His paws squelched in the mud as he trotted to where he though that Ava would be and couldn't find them there so he started to look in each one asking wolves if they had seen her. It took a moment, but after a time, he was told in what direction someone had last seen her and there she was, standing in the rain with a white wolf. he couldn't tell by scent, but by stature, it looked to be Lucifer.

With a little bit more speed in his step, Quince arrived before the two females, towering above them like Ronan did, however the younger wolf would never be able to amount to his strength. "Ava...and Lucifer, just the wolves I wanted to see." He said and then looked around at the dens wondering which one they had been about to enter. He noticed one that was right where other wolves would more than likely be coming in so he chose that one and led the way to it without saying another word.

He shook out his fur roughly before walking further into the den and sat down as he waited for the two females to make their way to the den. It was time. He had been needing a second Beta because of the increase in population, and now that things were bound to become hectic, it would be the perfect time to ask Lucifer to be a Beta. It was his choice whether or not to have another wolf as a Beta, and he didn't want Ava to run herself ragged, she was far too important to him as a friend.

But the one thing, once he asked Lucifer, that he wanted to make sure that they knew, was that he and Char would be mates and the implications that that had with the pack. he needed to know that they would be behind him in this and in keeping order...if he didn't have their backing, then he would have to assert his authority and he really didn't want to force them into anything.

Jin grinned back giving her a half smile, "I wouldn't know remember," he said, licking her back. It was true, he couldn't really see what her fur looked like, or even his for that matter, because of this Xylia sometimes found it necessary to groom him, or tell him to groom himself, because he was occasionally not presentable without knowing it.

"Finally alone..." he sighed, "and all my body wants to do is sleep, not much of a way to spend our first "us" time in over a week mm?" He shook himself lightly , ridding himself of the excess raindrops Xylia had so kindly shared with him.

"But at least we'll be making a habit of it, who knows, with more betas and others to report to us... we might have time for other... smaller... fluffier things..." He grinned, the implication was obvious and he grabbed her scruff gently in his teeth and took a deep breath, breathing in her scent before letting go. "be careful..." he warned, "I could get used to this..." he grinned again.

"Doesn't mean no one can tell you." she said with a chuckle as he licked her back. She knew he couldn't clean himself very well because he couldn't see himself enough to make sure that he was clean. Since they had just come in from the rain, she found that he needed some sort of cleaning, but her scruff was in his teeth before she could do what she wanted.

A soft smile spread across her face as he breathed in her scent and she his enjoying their first moments of peace and quiet together after such a long time. When he mentioned pups though, she found her smile changing into one of sheer joy at the thought. "Puppies!" she said elatedly and once he released his gently hold on her scruff, she snuggled in close next to him with a deep sigh. "I want to get used to this....I really do." she said happily and then looked up at him.

She licked his chin before settling her head over his legs and allowing her mind to wonder on the idea of pups. "Just think...we could be having pups before too long." A small tremor of joy ran through her body before she conjured an image of small black pups frolicking around in the grass, their fur fluffed around their bodies like their fathers did after he shook out his fur after getting wet.

What color would their eyes be though? Would the be golden like hers, or would they be brown? or blue? What would they be? Would they have powers? What kinds of powers would they have if they had them? What markings would they have? Would they be boys and girls? All boys? All girls? Oh the possibilities were endless and she really wanted to have pups soon. With the balancing of the packs, it would be the perfect time for new birth...

~Rhoshan~

As Lucifer and the pups left, Rhoshan suddenly felt more freedom to speak with the other male, more freedom to examine this new wolf and understand him. He was very confused at everything going on, but he tried not to let it show. He turned and looked at Ronan, and he hated the look in the older male's eye; Ronan was sad, very sad, and he was trying to hide it. He wasn't sad in a crying sort of way, he was... disappointed. Not with Rhoshan, but simply with how everything had played out.

"Roshan, I'm sorry for barging in on your new life here. I knew when I first saw you that you wouldn't remember me, not like I remember you. You... seem happy here, and... that's all I've ever wanted for you." Roshan's eyes widened. No, that was wrong. He wasn't happy, he had never been happy. He had food and training and the chance to have friends and even family, but he had taken no attention and had refused friends. Why? Why had he done that? And now a wolf comes along wanting the relationship Rhoshan had so craved, the brotherly relationship... and how he was leaving.

"I... I'll give you some time to think about it, I need to clear my own head first." Rhoshan didn't move as Ronan walked over and licked him. He simply stared straight ahead, lost in his own thoughts. "Try to stay out of trouble okay?"

Then he was gone, and Rhoshan was alone... again. Rhoshan sat where he was, unable to even think clearly enough to decide where to go. He sat in the rain and tried to sort his thoughts.

~~~

~Oksana~

Oksana sniffled and shook out her pelt as the rain poured harder. Of course, the rabbit had escaped. Young as it was, there was no way it would go so far from its home when a storm was coming. the rabbit hole was well made too, and it would take hours to dig it out... by that time, the rabbits would have escaped through the back passage they always had.

Suddenly Oksana heard a howl, a howl that warmed her heart and gave her energy; it was Pax. Her tail wagged despite being soaked, and she immediately raised her head and howled back, singing Pax's name as sweetly as she could with rain pouring into her mouth. Right as she was done she turned and began trotting up the partly muddy trails towards the cliffs. Oh, the memories! Oksana loved having time with Pax, all by themselves. And the rain made it perfect; she couldn't wait for this next part. Of course, she couldn't help but remember Talcore and Ronan and wonder how they were doing. It had to be hard, adjusting to pack life. Oksana remembered that she and Pax had taken a while getting used to paying attention to others besides themselves. How much harder could it be for older wolves?

"Never leave again," she whispered to Talcore and Ronan. Then she grinned at the sky. "Paaaax! I'm lost!" It was a memory from the past; she had been lost once and he had found her, during a rainstorm. Good old days, when they were little and fluffy...

~~~~

~Shaede~

Shaede accepted Talcore's stepback and slightly moved so that Arolia--that is, Aurora--could more clearly see the winged male. Wings. They seemed familiar. "They are a pack I used to...know," the winged wolf said. This got Shaede's attention. Perhaps a wolf of the past? But there hadn't been a winged-wolf Shaede could remember since the one very old black Wicked Alpha, what was his name... Shaede hadn't even met the wolf but just remembered him from stories. Oh yeah, Raven. Nasty wolf. "And how exactly do you know of them?"

Shaede smiled tiredly, deciding he may as well be blunt with the younger wolf. "Well, I was the Beta of the Wicked pack, or one of them, under Verin and... oh, whoever that old wolf before him was... Kain? Mmhmm. Ah, the memories, Verin was such a brute." Shaede watched for Talcore's response carefully. His old nose didn't smell the females that were hiding nearby, and of course the shifting wind didn't help. He swished his tail gently in the wind, a sign that he wasn't intimidated and didn't want trouble. "So, are you with the South Pack? Because if you're a loner looking for trouble from your past, this conversation's over," Shaede finished. His voice didn't have much authority to it, but his meaning was clear; he didn't care if Talcore was the Alpha of the Blessed pack and had killed hundreds of Wicked wolves, he simply didn't want trouble. He had accepted his new life and was enjoying it, and he never wanted to be a Wicked or Blessed anything ever again.

Edited by LadyNatasha

| Ava |

Ava blinked at Lucifer's gentle touch, not having expected something of the sort from the reserved female. Once she recovered from her brief episode of shock, Ava smiled and returned the gesture, touching her nose to Lucifer's shoulder. Any wolf watching at that time would've been shocked that such a move came from Ava, who was usually more rough and tumble.

"Agreed," she said with a grin, increasing her walk a bit as to get out of the rain quicker. She looked forward to spending time with the other she-wolf, as Ava did think it'd be nice to just relax and talk. That was one thing about storms, she thought, all the wolves could generally just wait them out in their dens. That had been her plan until Quince had approached them, his towering form causing Ava to look up.

Her Alpha announced that he was looking for them and then trotted away without another word. Ava was used to this and motioned for Lucifer to follow. It was how Quince usually did when he wanted a private word with her-announce he'd been looking for her and then walk away. Ava had learned to follow without question after being left behind the first couple times. When Quince chose a den, Ava waited for Lucifer to enter before heading inside. She gave her coat a hard shake before moving closer to where Quince sat. Still not questioning, she just sat before him and motioned for Lucifer to do the same, absently realizing that she was the shortest one here. Oh well, her size has never been an issue for her, since her attitude all but made up for it.

"What may we do for you, Alpha?" she asked, keeping her voice low and her posture submission. Normally, she would just sit before Quince as she did any other but, with Lucifer here, she acted her role, despite how she now considered the white wolf a friend.

| Pax |

"No you're not, I found you," Pax whispered in her ear, having sneaked up on her while she'd been making her way up the trail. Normally, he'd never been able to sneak up on her but the storm and the wind had been on his side this time. They had masked his heavier, louder, paw steps and given him an unfair advantage. Plus, he knew she wouldn't be expected him.

She was soaked to the bone, fur plastered down against her body and Pax couldn't help but snicker at her. He couldn't look any better himself, though, he thought, glancing down at himself. Nope, he didn't. He slid up right next to her, stopping her walk, and curled his larger body around hers. "I'll always find you," he promised, and lovingly nipped her ear. "Now let's get back before we both drown."

| Tanis|

"Yes, I know him too," Tanis murmured to the black pup, after hearing her explanation of who Talcore was. She held back a laugh at her calling him Talcorn. Maybe she'd make a point of calling him that someday, just to see what he said...She turned her attention away from the pups and back to the trio, wondering of the white male was going to say anything. So far, he had not.

She realized the black pup was speaking again and looked back at her, only to find she'd went completely still and was visibly shaking. She was about to ask her what was wrong, if something had frightened her or if she knew the white wolf, but stopped when the other pup turned to speak to her. She whispered and Tanis realized they did not want her to hear. Never show a weakness, she thought, they're smart for being so young.

That was when the white wolf finally responded to Talcore, making Tanis whip her head back around. She rustled the leaves quit a bit and went still, her heart pounding but no one seemed to notice. The white male...he'd been a Wicked. Their Beta. Shaede was his name, if she remembered correctly, though she didn't recall ever seeing him face-to-face. Verin, yes, she remembered that name too. Shaede asked if Talcore was of the South pack, if he were looking for trouble, and Tanis shook her head. No on both accounts, Shaede, she thought, looking back at Talcore. She couldn't hide here any longer. He was right before here and she was cowering in a bush. She was no coward! With a sudden spark of determination (and a embarrassment for hiding in the first place) she slid gracefully from neath the bush. She briefly thought of the two pups there but she figured they would decide whether or not to follow.

"Talcore never goes looking for trouble," she informed the white male, glancing briefly at him before letting her gaze travel to the winged warrior. Her heart was pounding loud in her ears and a million thoughts flooded her brain and, though she kept her expression calm, the corners of her lips turned into a smile. "But I managed to get him into his fair share of it. At least, that is what I remember to be true."

~Oksana~

"No you're not, I found you." Oksana gasped but quickly giggled and spun to face her mate, tail wagging and fur a mess. She grinned and her giggling turned to delighted laughter. How did he do that? It was the second time, and she realized that storms were not her specialty. She wondered how he had managed to get to her so quickly when his howl had been so distant, but her wondering left when she saw how he looked. His fur was thicker and longer than hers, but that also made it easier to get messy; she could see where the mud was sticking to him and where a tree had rubbed him, making his fur stick out a bit.

She wagged her tail in a spitfire fashion when he snickered at her, but a moment later his big warm body was next to her and she leaned towards him. "I'll always find you." His voice was sweet and strong, and Oksana licked his cheek when he nipped her ear. "Now let's get back before we both drown." She nodded, assuming he hadn't caught a squirrel, and trotted shoulder to shoulder with him back towards the den area. Then she remembered something else, and her eyes lit up.

"Hey, let's sleep under a cliff tonight," she suggested happily. So many times as pups they hadn't had a real den; they had only had overhanging rocks or trees to shelter them. At the time they had been miserable, but seeing how far they had come always made Oksana feel like reliving those moments. After all, it wasn't every day a huge storm swept through. Even an empty cave, full of dust and stone, would bring back those days...

Edited by LadyNatasha

Once Quince was sure that both females were in the den he allowed himself to take a deep breath, keeping his tail up since it was a sign of authority. It was irritating though because normally he allowed himself to BE himself around Ava, but until he told Lucifer what he planned for her, he couldn't relax. There was too much going on and too much to do to make sure that the packs obeyed and understood.

He was still rather shocked at the show of affection that the two had shown each other, but it solidified his decision even more as he released his pent up breathing which he had realized that he had been holding.

"Well, you are right in saying we for the most part." He chuckled then shivered without realizing. "I, well, this has actually been on my mind for some time, Lucifer." he said turning his gaze to her and for once noticed how blue her eyes really were. They weren't unnaturally blue like his, but a nice blue that complemented her white fur. "You're undying dedication is something that I admire, and something that I need amongst the higher ranks, especially the Gammas and Betas." He glanced at Ava his mind running through several scenarios where Ava had proven herself again and again.

"With the size of our pack, and up and coming events in mind, it leads me to a single decision. As is my right, I can promote, and demote, any wolf I so wish to whatever level I so wish. And my choice is this without discussion because I know without a doubt that you can do this Lucifer. I want you to be my second Beta. You seem to work well with Ava and all ranks respect you easily."

Here stopped for a moment to allow the information to seep in. "Not only will you two be able to work well together, but also your abilities work well together. If I were to howl for either of you, Lucifer, you would be able to be there in seconds and Ava would be as well if you allowed her to mimic your ability."

Quince had no doubt that she would accept, but he allowed a moment for her to make her decision. If she were to go against him, then she would be lower in his view, but wouldn't lose any position for no one would know of this exchange other than Ava and himself and possibly Char if she connected the dots.

(Well that took forever.)

user posted image

When the older male moved back a little, Talcore took this opportunity to glance at the other wolf among them, curious to see if he perhaps recognized or felt a similar familiarity about her as well. He studied her face briefly, but although there might have been a glimmer of similarities between her and some other wolf he might have known, there was nothing he recognized. He nodded her to slightly to apologize for his stare, before returning his sharp, wise eyes to Shaede's scarred face.

The old wolf's explanation both came as a surprise and not to Talcore. He was shocked at first to know that the wolf that stood before him was a leading cause of the wolves that he had once hated, but at the same time, he realized this made sense to him. That was why Talcore had felt he knew Shaede- for he was certain he knew his name now, unless it was Abba-something- but hadn't recognized him by face. Even in all his years as a master warrior under Zeus, he had never seen the Wicked Beta face to face, only descriptions.

Standing in front of one who was- or, had been- his sworn enemy was not a new feeling to the warrior. Although he visibly stiffened at Shaede's words, he remained still and observing, as if he was probing the silence between them with his mind instead. Shaede, no doubt, had killed many of his friends back in their time. There was a war, wasn't there? Talcore remembered fights on several different accounts, although the most vivid was a memory from his childhood, when his twin had been slaughtered and his mother disappeared. He knew Shaede was a formidable foe back in their day, and that had it been years ago, back when they still lived as enemies, Talcore likely wouldn't have hesitated to attack. But, as it was, Talcore was tired. And he could tell Shaede was too, even if this new information set the older's males impression back a bit in his mind. Now that the winged warrior could only remember names and the life between the hatred of their old packs, the past resentment failed to rise and spur him into action.

"I see," he said after a moment, ignoring Shaede's warning of trouble. Talcore glanced off to the distance behind the old Wicked Beta before adding in a lower voice, "I am a loner, yes. After I lost my home from the Blessed lands, I had no place else to go." His gaze swiftly returned to Shaede's, locking with sudden intensity and sadness. And yet, that was quickly quelled and replaced with a grim, fading light, as if the spark of memory was dying like his own life force.

He did not see her when she emerged, though he had the faint recollection of the sound of a bush rustling before the warm, female voice met his ears. It said his name- with a particular fondness, he couldn't tell- and spoke of him as if the voice knew his soul from the inside out. When he turned, muscled clenched beneath his coat as if he had received an electrical shock, the hazed image of a she-wolf's face sprung before his eyes. No, wait a minute- he stared, taking in the figure of the dark red female as if she were but an apparition in front of him, like a memory that involuntarily jumped into existence before him. In his mind, there was a brighter, younger version of the wolf smiling at him, laughing, howling and running around like a love-struck puppy. There was the memory of warmth at his side as he recalled a night spent in his snug den pressed up against her fur, after having relived a painful memory from even deeper in his past.

But he stared at this she-wolf, unable to put together the memory in his mind and the flesh and fur standing there, speaking as if she had just encountered an old friend. The voice was worn, underused maybe, older, mature. Just like her face and pelt; darkened and weathered in age, like himself. He continued to stare. Shaede and the unknown female didn't even exist anymore. There was this face, this face that he knew, that he...he loved, but... how could it be her? There was suddenly panic welling up in his heart. No, it couldn't be. She was dead. She was gone. She had- Wait, no, he was the one that died. Wait, what? Confusion clouded his eyes and pinched his brows, mixed with a dark, churning despair. How could one wolf look so much like...like her?

His vocal chords were tight, feeling as if they restricted his breathing. "I don't..." he started, softly, hoarsely, as if he had suddenly contracted a cold. He had meant to say "I don't know you", but the words grew dry and sticky on his tongue and fell silent in his aching muzzle. However, in that same moment, her voice echoed again in his ears, as if he were hearing them for the first time. She said my name... She has memories of me, he realized, and his heart felt as if it had come to a screeching halt. An expression akin to dread shrouded his previous emotions, and softer than even Dayhl's pawsteps on the wet grass behind him, he breathed, "Tanis?"

user posted image

There was a small spark of warmth through her skin from the touch of the Beta, though the she-wolf's nose was cold and her own fur was beginning to soak completely through, despite its thick, wiry protection. It lingered a moment and Lucifer found the corners of her muzzle upturned ever so softly, ears swung forwards towards the Beta, the insides burning a faint pink. Like Ava, personal touching was a very rare, almost bizarre, occurrence. In fact, only Holo, the sweet little mute wolf, was probably the only other wolf Lucifer had ever touched so gently and purposefully.

Her long tail had given a small wave before she noticed a large bulk approaching them. It wasn't long before she recognized Quince through the sheet of rain, and she respectfully ducked her head to him as he advanced. As his direction, the white female wordlessly the King and his second-in-command, falling back a few steps as she thought over what had occurred with her and Ronan. Even if Ava applauded her for her actions, Lucifer was uncertain what Quince's take would be on the matter, especially since it hadn't been the first time she had acted out of turn today. She even wondered if the discussion he was leading them to would have anything to do with it, though she doubted news would have traveled that fast. Still, she remained apprehensive as she slid into the dry den behind Ava and the Alpha.

She stood off to the side and gave herself a shake before trotting up next to the Beta and sitting back respectfully in front of Quince. She remained still, dignified, and quiet, listening to Quince with her white ears pushed forward in dutiful interest. When he spoke her name, her near-black eyes blinked once in response. It was only when the rest of his explanation met her ears did she visibly react again, and it was in the form of swinging her muzzle toward Ava in utmost surprise. Her, a Beta? Alongside Ava? The princess's lips parted slightly as she thought over the offer. Quince had been wrong on one account; not everyone respected Lucifer, and she was curious how they would react if they found out she had been promoted to Beta. Some of them had been hostile when she'd gone from Omega to Gamma, and although Lucifer no longer really held their opinions of her to much credit, she was still curious how that particular lot would "deal" with it.

She was still gazing intently at Ava when she opened her muzzle to answer, and then turned slowly to face Quince. "I am flattered, my lord," she said quietly, flattening her ears slightly in an air of obedient subservience- a manner that had never been present before on her, even when she had first been promoted to Gamma. Her muzzle dipped low for a moment as she thought, but when she brought her eyes back up to Quince's face, they still held the deep, intelligent wit as they always had.

"If you feel it is what's best, then I will gladly accept," she said after a moment, her voice steady and calm, like always. "I hope...I hope I do not disappoint you, sir. Or you, Ava." Her eyes dark eyes flickered to the other Beta for a moment, alighting on the female's face with a glimmer of hope.

user posted image

Dayhl felt Vheni in the bush beside her and blinked dazedly over at the other yearling. "What? Oh, yes," she said absentmindedly, having been distracted by both Vheni's voice and that of the female wolf whom they had discovered in the bush. Dayhl didn't pay her much mind now, since she was much more focused on the old male wolf standing in the group out in the rain. Her eyes grazed every inch she could find, as if trying to discover some flaw or inconsistency that would allow her to believe he wasn't really the wolf she thought he was. Or, dreamed he was.

When Shaede spoke, Dayhl's breath caught in her throat again and she gave a small, involuntary whine. "Vheni," she said, throat parched, "Vheni, that's... he's..." What? What was she going to say? Dayhl didn't even know. She didn't even know this wolf! He was a figment of her imagination that visited her dreams, nothing more! How could she explain that to her wrestling partner? This reminded her far too much of what had just occurred back at the camp, only now Lucifer wasn't there to interfere, and she was caught between going back to face Ronan or facing the fact that something from her mind was actually standing right in front of her.

Her shaking ceased after a moment as she watched them. Blessed? Wicked? The latter struck a particular chord in her head that she couldn't quite place and she unconsciously frowned, but she was getting to distracted by the very sight of Shaede to pay much attention to the words coming from his mouth, even if his voice sounded so alluring she felt as though there was no earth beneath her any more. As Tanis exited the bushes, Dayhl suddenly got to her feet and followed quickly behind her, right at her hind flanks to remain somewhat hidden behind the older she-wolf's body. As they approached the group, and namely Talcore, Dayhl sped up and ducked behind the winged warrior. If Oksana trusted him, certainly Dayhl could too? Carefully, slowly, Dayhl's dark face emerged from behind the large bump of Talcore's wing, bright golden eyes peering out at Shaede with a wide, unmasked ferocity and open, burning emotion.

Quince -South Alpha

Quince seemed tense as he awaited the answer from Lucifer. He didn't like forcing wolves into things and he surely didn't want to force her into it...to be honest he didn't want to be on her bad side...or Ava's. "Thank the gods that is over." He said with a huff and laid down now showing his more relaxed side. With an inward smirk, he wondered if Lucifer would be shocked.

"Please relax ladies." He said calmly as he laid his head on his paws. "Lucifer, you need to understand something. I'm not your lord, or your king, or anything like that. I am a wolf. I have had to earn the title of Alpha just as each of you has had to earn the title of Beta. No more calling me Lord, or sir...well, sir when we are not alone." he had given the same speech to Ava but he was editing it a little bit to make sure that it fit Lucifer's personality to the best of his known ability. "You have qualities that have earned you this position and I admire them as I stated earlier...I think. But that aside, you also have faults. Each of us have faults that we cannot get rid of for they are ingrained into our very being. As Beta's, it is part of your duty to assist me with those faults as i am to assist you with yours. And for as far as I am concerned, we are more so your family, or friends whichever you prefer, than fellow pack mates. I hope that is clear to you Lucifer."

Quince took another breath before continuing. "I know that I promoted you to Gamma against the will of the others in the pack, causing some to despise you. But please, don't let that stop you from dealing justice as justice should be. It's not necessarily your duty to deal with the fine tweaks of the pack, or those blasted loners, but justice..." he was going to ask about the loners but instead, he yawned deeply then looked at the two females.

"I'm talking more than I want to." he grumbled jokingly before he stretched out his legs like the pups do when they are sore and tired from playing.

"But, I must speak again because it is something that will affect everything to a great amount. Char and I have spoken and we have decided to be mates. As far as I can see, it will help the packs and as she stated 'Leave no question as to who is in charge'. As my betas, and wolves that I trust, what is your take?" he asked them both. It seemed that he was slightly weary form everything that was going on, but underneath that tired layer, was one of worry. Was he making the right choice?

Edited by LoveLost

| Tanis |

She had remained still since she'd finished speaking, just watching him as he stared at her. She tensed, watching the look of panic and disbelief settle onto his features. Had this been a mistake? Was he...not happy to see her?

No, that couldn't be it! She reminded herself how much of a shock it must be, for her to have just walked out of a bush to stand before him. And after all this time! That had to be it. She wished he would speak, as standing here before him made her a little nervous and somewhat embarrassed. She could not read him, only the dread on his old, handsome face.

"Tanis?"

Her name came softly as the wind but it sent her heart into a furious flutter, ears perking forward as if to listen for anything else he might say. He remembered her. He had spoke her name. It was him. She did not notice Shaede or the nameless she-wolf, and she only just notice Dahyl dart over behind Talcore. Her mind was so intently focused on the male before her that nothing else mattered. She wanted so badly to go to him, to be near him and feel his warm fur against hers, but she remained rooted to her spot. What if she got too close and he disappeared? It was that fear that stopped her from running to him.

Though she was frightened of what might happen to them now, a gentle smile turned up her lips. He was still here and she had found him, after so long, she had found him. She nodded at him, assuring him that it was indeed her. "Mhm. Don't tell me you've forgotten me after all this time?" she asked, her voice smoother than before, as she tipped her head ever so slightly at him. She had even forgotten about the rain.

(i'll get the others as soon as i get home!)

Jin smiled down at her, teasing her nose with the tip of his tail as he watched a thousand emotions leap like fireworks across her aura. Yes... some day soon, he wanted it too, to be a father. He had loved his parents, for the short time they had been with him, and the desire to pass that love along to children was strong, and he wanted to give Xylia pups, he knew it was one of her most precious dreams.

"Not long, I promise, I won't keep you waiting much longer." He licked the top of her head. "As soon as we've begun to sort things out... I'll talk to Char, I'm sure she'll be thrilled as well. She may end up having pups of her own in the near future. I hope she and Quince..." he paused, he hoped so many things for them at this point. "I hope they fall in love in the process of ruling the packs, that would be perfect."

"Whatever happens, I want you to be happy, I hate to frustrate you because I know how much you want this, but... be patient love, just a little longer." He sighed, letting out a long steady breath. He was so tired. He rested his head on the back of Xylia's scruff and relaxed, but didn't allow his eyes to close, not wanting to doze off on her if she would rather stay up and talk.

~Shaede~

Shaede's frown increased when he saw Talcore stiffen. He immediately concluded that Talcore had been from the Blessed pack and likely a high ranking member. Shaede wanted to yawn again, but the younger warrior's entire stance made yawning seem inappropriate. "I am a loner, yes. After I lost my home from the Blessed lands, I had no place else to go." Shaede nodded, able to sympathize with Talcore. He wondered if the winged wolf had spent time searching for friends--from the look of him, Shaede guessed he probably had. Shaede turned his head with surprise when another wolf smoothly moved out of the brush and into plain sight. It was a female that also brought back vague memories, and she seemed completely focused on Talcore. When Talcore saw her, he too was transfixed. Shaede prepared to make a sarcastic remark, but last moment something stopped him--a blur of dark fur disappeared behind Talcore's leg.

Shaede blinked and stared; slowly a yearling's head appeared, and with it came to shockingly intense golden eyes. The yearling looked familiar and brought a sudden desperate feeling to Shaede's heart. Both his ears perked forward in interest, his conversation with Talcore suddenly forgotten. Something about the pup was wonderful and awful, beautiful and terrible, and so intent...

"Well hello there," he said softly, as though not wanting to scare away this wonder before him. "What's your name?" He vaguely wondered if the pup belonged to the female and if the female was Talcore's mate--it did hide behind him, after all--but really, none of that was very important. It was the sudden feeling of youth and energy that entered Shaede and the strange familiarity of the pup's eyes that got his attention.

Vheni

Although Dahyl replied that she was fine, Vheni still kept an eye on her friend, while she watched the conversation. Talcore, she knew, for he had come into the camp with Ronan. She wasn't sure if he was a past wolf, but from the strange twinges she got when she looked at him, Vheni was pretty sure that he was also a wolf from the past... if they existed. Vheni's listened as the wolves talked about the Wicked pack, and an emotion welled up in her mind. Longing? Vheni wasn't sure. Her ears flattened and her lips curled into a silent snarl when she heard the Blessed, however. The old pack that she loathed. Wait, where did that come from? I don't even know a pack called the Blessed pack!

Vheni was trapped in the clamor of her thoughts when Dahyl called her name, jerking her out of the depths of her brain. She turned her head toward her friend. "Yeah?" She asked. Dahyl was motioning toward the wolf that so resembled Shaede. The dark yearling seemed to choke on her words. Vheni glanced at Shaede again and back at Dahyl, about to reply. "Yeah, he's Sh-..."

The words caught in her mouth. What was she going to say? That this was another wolf from the past? That all of these were? That they were staring at wolves that claimed that they had existed years ago in packs called the Wicked and blessed? She'll think i'm insane! No one knows that I have these visions, and no one can know! But... why... how does she know Shaede as well?

Trapped in her own mind, Vheni did not know that the others had left her until she heard Tanis's voice. Only then did Vheni realize that the other two were out of the cover of the bushes and she followed, though quietly. she stepped out of the cover of the leaves and sat off to the side, waiting for this to end, and perhaps, for something to be solved along the way.

She observed the wolves, and Vheni quickly realized that Shaede seemed to know Dahyl, and Tanis seemed to know Talcore. How... Vheni wondered, tilting her head to the side. How is this even possible?

| Ava |

As soon as Quince hit the ground, Ava did too, stretching out her cramped muscles and making herself comfortable. She twisted her head around to stare up at Lucifer, her tail wagging like an excited pup. "You won't disappoint me, Luce, it's going to be great. Oh, yeah, we're pretty relaxed when it's just us. You'll get used to it," she promised with a laugh, stretching her legs again, as the rain always made them feel cramped and stiff.

She couldn't believe this! Lucifer as her partner Beta! Not that she didn't suspect something like this was coming, Lucifer really was perfect for the position, she was just excited Quince had seen that too. Plus, this would be really helpful when the two packs came together. She knew Jin and Xylia would always pair up and share their duties, nothing against that, of course, but it was nice to now have someone she could work with too. Ava knew she would be needing the help. Even though she had just begun to talk to the white she-wolf, Ava had no doubt that they would pair splendidly together. She looked back to the ivory female, her tail still thumping against the den floor. If anything, she would get to spend more time with her this way.

She was beyond excited at this point, so she blinked surprisingly at Quince when he kept talking. She pushed herself up into a sitting position and tipped her head at the large male, watching him intently. So..it was as they expected. Quince and Char had agreed to go through with it. Though she had talked about, Ava really hadn't expected it to happen. Sure, she was excited and happy for Quince, she supposed, but what if it didn't work out? She remembered that being Lucifer's concerns from earlier. When Quince asked their opinion, she glanced at Lucifer, willing to let her speak her mind first but thought maybe she should. Maybe Lucifer would not yet be comfortable doing so? Ava didn't know but she spoke up anyone.

"I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea," she started, taking the rare extra moment to think over her words. Normally, she just blurted out what she thought but this was a little important for impulse. "Pros and cons, of course. If you two become mated and it works out, that will be perfect but, as Luce and I spoke earlier, what if it does not? Tension between the mated Alpha pair would surely halt any progress in bringing us together. Char, from what I've experienced of her, is a good wolf and I trust her with you, so that is not my concern but what if you two shoulder differ on an certain issue? She is quite headstrong I've noticed, so would you two be able to compromise and make a uniform decision? Have you thought about how the pack wolves might see this? Will they respect and view you two as a mated pair, given that it's more a political move than a traditional one?" she paused, since she had spoken quite a lot, to give Quince a moment to consider that and for Lucifer to get her word in. As long as the pair of them considered every angle, something Ava herself was used to doing, and still agreed that it was the right move...then Ava would support Quince (and Char) in their decision. She looked to Lucifer, wondering what she might think.

| Pax |

"Tonight? We're muddy and soaking wet," Pax replied, grinning at her. He wouldn't lie, he'd thought of suggesting they do the same thing. It didn't bother him that she liked to relive little moments like that from their past and, honestly, he was glad she suggested them like she did. After all, she remembered perfectly, where he was usually a little fuzzy on the smaller events. Not that they weren't important to him, he just didn't have the memory for detail like she did. "But, if you really want too, I'm sure I can find a good place," he told her after a moment, before she even had a chance to pull any of her puppy faces on him. She knew his weakness and he really never could tell her no.

Pax guided her into a run, back down the mountain side, keeping close to her side as they moved through the trees. It was getting colder, and the rain was staying steady, so he knew he would have to find them a place soon. About half way down the mountain, Pax slowed, recalling there were some large trees around here that would provide a few good place. Somewhere around here there was a good overhang too, if he could manage to find it in this storm.

"We'll end up going to be hungry if the rain doesn't let up," he thought out loud, sniffing about for a place for them to sleep. It was hard, in the mud and rain, but he managed to find them a decent enough place. It was a small over hang, the gnarled roots of a tree reinforcing the sheltering roof. It had even been dug back, possibly by another animal seeking a place to sleep, so they'd be able to curl up. "Think this will be okay?" he asked her, looking back at her over his shoulder, since he'd went inside to sniff around. He couldn't make out an recent scent, so no wolf must be sleeping here. He didn't want any wolf sneaking up on them while they were sleeping. That's all he needed, a fight over a bank-side den in the middle of the night. "It's clear! Get in here before you freeze, 'Sana!"

Edited by crypticsoul

~Oksana~

Oksana wagged her tail and smiled as Pax grinned at her and answered her. Oh, but it was so perfect; those moments when she had been little and tried her best not to cry around Pax because she had wanted to be a Warrior too... those were her favorite nights to remember.

So am I a hunter like Dael?

No, you're a Warrior. Now come at me.

Oksana blinked at the funny memory. She had heard herself as a pup speaking to an older male with a deep voice, yet she had mentioned little Dayhl. Dayhl had always been the only pup Oksana liked, and it wasn't even the pup's attitude that attracted Oksana; it was just the pup herself, her presence and the way she moved and her intense golden eyes. Oksana was proud the pup wanted to be a hunter, even though the elders had suggested she be more fit to be a warrior.

"But, if you really want too, I'm sure I can find a good place." Oksana cocked her head and smiled sweetly, but Pax was ready for it and had already turned to begin running. Oksana quickly joined at his side; they had learned from years of being together to run with a certain stride when next to each other. Oksana's stride was just about three-fourths of Pax's stride but was faster, and if she ran just right they'd do all their jumping and dodging in unison. Yes, Oksana had no doubt Pax could find a good place in a matter of minutes. His ability to provide what was needed right as it was needed was almost unreal, which was one reason why he was such a great warrior... and such a great mate. Oksana couldn't have been lost with a better wolf, in her opinion.

A slight wind picked up and Oksana felt a shiver run through her as Pax lead a slowdown. Although Oksana had a keen memory when it came to events, Pax couldn't be beat when it came to places; he obviously slowed down because he had been there before and knew there was shelter nearby, shelter that Oksana wouldn't have noticed even if she had run there several times. "We'll end up going to be hungry if the rain doesn't let up."

"We'll survive," she replied positively. Oh, the delightful thought; Oksana would seldom choose to go hungry when food was available, but today was special. Today it was just her and Pax, as it had been years before. Finally they arrived at a small overhang sheltered by an old tree. It was just deep enough that they'd stay dry and be able to both curl up. Oksana waited patiently while Pax entered.

"Think this will be okay?" Oksana nodded quickly. "It's clear! Get in here before you freeze, 'Sana!" She didn't have to be told twice; Oksana trotted quickly into the den and shook off at the entrance, then moved up close to Pax and immediately lay down next to him, sighing in contentment and shivering a bit. She licked the fur on his leg to help get rain water out of it, and her tail wagged once. "It's perfect," she said happily. "Thank you." She knew that Pax gave up his time and warmth to find this for her, and she was very grateful.

~~~

~Rhoshan~

Rhoshan had finally finished thinking and had entered an empty den to wait out the rain. It was a shallow den that was usually used for naughty pups to sit in, but Rhoshan simply cared that he was out of the rain. "That's got to be him," he said to the rain. It has to be, the wolf I've... the wolf I've been... what? Wanting, craving? Am I crazy? That pup, Vheni... and Dayhl too, they both seem familiar. If they didn't, I wouldn't even remember their names now. But I do, and Ronan... I knew his name before he'd even told me it, and he knew mine! What now, did my mother have some sort of memory repressing power or something that I never knew about? No, this Ronan is so much older than me. How is this possible?

A moment's pause, and then Rhoshan lifted his head, a determined look in his eye. "No," he told himself, "I'm not going to question how it's possible. It's real, it's what I want, and it's not what the others want. The other pups, they thought I was crazy... I thought I was crazy, and I knew I wasn't normal... but I knew I had a brother, I just didn't know who! This... this sounds insane, but that's got to be him. And I don't care if it isn't: he's a warrior and he cares, and maybe he can help me figure out more about the crystal rocks."

Rhoshan stood, a bit unsure but yet very sure. His tail began slowly swaying in excitement and swayed faster as he thought about it more. When the Alphas come, when Luce brings them, I will tell them he is my brother and I remember this. If Ronan really does care--if somehow he knew me once--then I'm not going to lose this. Not again, not ever! It's mine, all mine, and no one else gets it! No one else gets him, he's mine and no one knows another wolf like he knows me and I will know him, and he'll train me and teach me everything he knows! Then I'll become Beta, Alpha, and we'll find those stones and--

Rhoshan stopped himself and sat suddenly. What was he thinking? Whatever it was, it made him shudder and yet comforted him; It made him angry and soothed both at once. He had to find Ronan, and had to tell him he was sorry, and he had to tell him so many other things... but for now, he simply sat and waited. He didn't feel like getting wet again.

user posted image

His skin felt like it was burning. Even in the rain, when he had been on the verge of shivering from the cold, he suddenly felt too warm, too hot, in his own fur. He continued to stare at her, wide-eyed, amber-red irises swimming with so much emotion that the expression on his face was completely unreadable. His ears were frozen in place, one cocked upward and the other slightly folded back, as if he were at war with himself over her sudden and quite unexpected appearance. Had he been a more verbal wolf, Talcore might have stood there stuttering, and in fact in his mind he couldn't bring himself to even think her name again.

Her voice met his ears again and they immediately swung forward, press as far as they could possibly go on his head. No, he hadn't forgotten her... he just had refused to remember her. A soft, involuntary whine rose in his throat and his wings grew slack at his sides, and he didn't even notice when his feathers draped over the top of Dayhl's unsuspecting head. His eyes only saw her, her figure, her pretty voice. He didn't even hear Shaede speak up or notice the yearling by his side. No...no his attention was drowning in Tanis's presence, and he didn't even care if he contracted pneumonia and died on the spot. At least he would have gotten to see her one last time.

There was only a few feet between them, but to Talcore it looked like miles. His legs, although exhausted, suddenly felt as though they weighed nothing at all. The ground seemed to glide beneath him and suddenly he was in front of her, his forehead pressed against her forehead, the hope and fear of her touch filling him to the very brim. He breathed deeply, inhaling as much of her scent that he could find in the water-laden air. His cheek against hers, rubbing and nuzzling with unrestrained affection and relief and utter joy, his tongue licking at every inch of her face and scruff he could reach. The muscles in his wings protested naught- or at least, not that he could even feel, his entire body was numb- rose up and encircled the both of them in an enclosure of dripping, soaked feathers. And still he continued to lick her, her eyes, her forehead, her snout, her muzzle, everything.

"Tanis, Tanis, Tanis, Tanis," he repeated between breaths. He felt like wagging his tail like an overzealous puppy, but his fatigue restricted his movements to subtle sways and shudders. However, part of him feared that she would reject this display, that his reaction would put her off. But he couldn't help himself. She was here...she was really here! Nothing else mattered to him at all.

user posted image

Lucifer blinked as the Alpha and Beta- or, other Beta- suddenly relaxed and all but fell to the floor like exhausted pups. Did they expect her to do that same? She gazed from wolf to wolf, surprise in her dark eyes. Lucifer wasn't known for her ability to relax on command. She was still somewhat tense from the encounter with Ronan, and then afterward being approached out of the blue by Quince. She was happy that she had gotten promoted, that much she allowed herself, but a physical display of her joy was hardly a skill she knew how to utilize properly. She'd probably look silly if she even tried.

Still, their laughter and smiles eased the tight muscles along her shoulders and the princess's taut posture slackened somewhat. Hesitantly, slowly, she lowered herself onto the ground beside Ava, ears swinging from Beta to Alpha as the two spoke. She wasn't very pleased at the idea of dropping her formal titles, and it showed in the form of a small frown on her stoic face. Lucifer was so used to referring to the others as "My Lady" or "My Lord", thus it would be a difficult habit to break. But, if her lo- er, Quince wished it so, Lucifer would try not to be a pain. "Of course....Quince," she said quietly, looking up at him with a steady gaze. "I will do my best for you and for the pack." Although Lucifer knew what a family was, the concept was a bit new to her. The only family she truly knew was the old Beta that had trained her as a young wolf, before he passed away. But even then, their relationship was more of a student and teacher, rather than a daughter and father. She didn't know the love of a family, though she often observed it and came to understand it after a while, even if she never got the first-hand experience. In a way she supposed she considered the pack like a family, but on a personal level, they felt more like the cousins that only talked to you briefly, or co-workers that you spent your life with. Perhaps Holo was like a younger sister to her, yes. That much, at least, Lucifer knew. It would be even stranger for her to consider taking a mate. But, like most wolves, there was the underlying longing for such bonds, whether through friendship or family or mates. There was a brief glint of it in her eyes at Quince's words, and she soundlessly nodded her head to show she understood.

His next statement, or question rather, somewhat surprised her. In the discussion earlier that day, she was certain she had made her stance on the issue quite clear- she'd even gotten dismissed over it, had she not?- but here she was, faced with her first Beta duty. Advice. Could she give it? Lucifer did not doubt that she had a solid opinion on the matter, but she didn't wish to disappoint Quince. Nor Char, for Luce had taken to the Alpha female well and respected her as she respected Quince. If Lucifer had maybe seen love before the politics, she would be more quick to agree, but...

Her ears twitched towards Ava as the senior Beta spoke up. Lucifer found herself nodding slightly in agreement; Ava had spoken Lucifer's feelings exactly on the matter. The white she-wolf didn't oppose the idea, of course not; but she was still skeptical. Realizing that it was likely her turn at speaking, she sat up beside Ava and added her own calm voice to the faint echo in the den-cave. "The only reluctance I have over this decision is the motivation. I do not deny this could be a beneficial move for the pack, but that is only if they are able to see you two as a leading pair together. This is...quite sudden and unexpected to the wolves outside of this discussion, and both you and Char had no predating history of romance. I have no doubt many of the adult wolves will see this, as Ava said, a political tactic more than, say, personal interest. It is up to the rest of the pack to decide whether or not they view you two as a proper mated pair, or none the different than if you hadn't decided this at all," she said, softly, steadily, with a fluid pace that did not break once in her speech. She met Quince's eyes cleanly as she spoke, for Lucifer had no qualms for speaking her mind on a matter that was asked to give her personal thoughts. It would be up to Quince whether or not he approved of her caution.

Of course, Lucifer would not oppose either decision, nor would she endorse it. It was not something she could properly gauge with predictions or hypotheses; she'd have to see it in order to give the most accurate perception of the matter. However, it seemed Quince and Char had already made the agreement, and so Lucifer settled for observing the pack's reaction. From the corner of her eye, she glanced towards Ava, as if to say, 'Did I do that right?'

user posted image

When she saw Shaede had noticed her, Dayhl's gaze narrowed into a glare. She remembered Ronan had said something of him being in love with Dael- whoever that wolf was- but Dayhl was certain it hadn't been her. She was angry over this, and it shone in her brilliant yellow eyes and seethed in her young, dark face. When a soppy wing fell onto her head, Dayhl slid out from under the feathers and gave herself a shake, though the rain continued to soak into her fur.

She was suddenly fueled by a determination, a grit, that she hadn't felt before. Burning with this fierce independence, Dayhl trotted up close to Shaede and circled around him, studying him (or well, mostly just glaring) with intense eyes. The scowl on her face was unmistakable, and oddly akin to a face she had known years before her rebirth. She stopped short in front of the old Wicked wolf again, gaze still slanted in her anger.

His question burned her. Did he not recognize her as she recognized him? She supposed not. Perhaps he only appeared in her dreams, and not the other way around. The injustice was enough to bristle her fur, though not much happened due to the water. She almost considered answering him, but after a moment's consideration, decided to trust in Ronan for once. "Why don't you tell me?" She growled, widening her stance as if she was preparing to pounce, though she did not crouch and she gave no other inclination that she was going to attack him. "Shade." She spat the name as if it were a bad taste in her mouth, and for a split moment, the tone of her voice sounded almost mature, almost... Older. Deadlier.

| Tanis |

Tanis shifted slightly, glancing almost shyly away from Talcore and down at her chilled, muddy paws. This was almost how she imagined confronting him years ago, when she would've just been confessing her long-standing crush to him, him just staring at her and her blabbering on about how she would try her very best to be a good mate to him.

Oh, the naivety.

His wings dropped and Tanis searched the mix of emotions on his face for any hint of what he was truly thinking. What he might be feeling or what he might say next. At this point, he could said anything and she would have been relieved. Maybe they were too old for that fantasy now, maybe their time had come and passed and they were only meant to...Instead of speaking, he starting moving and, before she could process what was happening, he was before her. Shocked, she went still, unsure of how to react to him. His touch sent a ripple of warmth through her, despite how they were both soaking wet, and she shuddered, instinctively moving closer to him. Finally, she returned his affection with earnest, letting her tongue kiss him as it pleased, her tail taking to swinging steadily back and forth. She had never experienced such a display from the white-winged male, she didn't think such a show of affection was possible for him, but here it was!

When his wings encircled them, she briefly noticed the drops of rain falling down on them before his licking completely overwhelmed her senses. His touch, his warmth, everything about him surrounded her and filled her mind with a blurry, euphoric haze. Weren't there other wolves here? The yearlings, were they alright? The rain, oh who cared! Talcore, he was here and he was alive, and he...he was...

"I missed you," she whispered, soft, desperate whines escaping her throat against her will and filling the air between them. Her name, every time he spoke it, it sounded so wonderfully beautiful. She rubbed her head under his head, licking his neck and shoulders, pressing herself as close to him as he could. "You're so cold," she murmured to him, returning to rub her head against his. "Oh, Talcore, you're so cold. We should get you out of the rain," she kept telling him, but she didn't even remembering thinking the words before they fell out. "Come with me, my den isn't far from here, you can rest there. Say you'll come with me."

| Pax |

"You don't have to thank me," Pax yawned, settling down beside her. He licked her head and ears, cleaning her of the rain and mud that dirtied her fur. The gentle warmth of her was slowly spreading to him and, for all it was worth, that made this the most lavish den in the world. At that moment, Pax felt he could spend a thousand nights here, as long as she lay beside him.

"I wonder what's bringing everyone back. What is it about this place?" he wondered aloud, laying his head across her neck. Was something going to happen? Pax shifted so he was closer to his mate, his larger body almost curling completely around her. He wondered what was going on back with the pack, if anything had happened while they were gone, or if they were expected back. Oh well, with the storm going on, he suspected they weren't doing much of anything. If they were needed, someone would coming looking for them.

[i'll reply as Ava after Love gets a word in with Quince smile.gif]

Edited by crypticsoul

Quince mumbled something unintelligble and allowed himself to look at the two females. They were right. He and Char had never shown any sort of attraction to one another which was going to make this harder in making things seem believable. But there had to be something to unite the packs otherwise even though he knew there wasn't. There was also the fact that Char was a new Alpha and he couldn't really help her without the North Pack thinking that he was overstepping his boundaries. There were pro's and con's and both of his beta's had addressed them marvelously.

A faint smile brought the edges of his lips up as he brought his head up partially. He was proud of them. What else could he say? That he hated them? No. They had done exactly what they were supposed to do and he loved them for that.

"You both addressed your points very wonderfully and they are the same fears that I have had over the issue. Char and I still have many things to discuss about it but we HAVE come to an agreement about the appearance of our relationship." Quince desperately wanted to say how afraid he was of making a mistake, but knew that at that moment, that was the worst thing that he could say. He was afraid that all of his decisions the past two years were wrong because he didn't have an older mentor to tell him that they were right.

"You two should know that we do plan on having pups at some time...when? I'm not sure. But hopefullly..." he looked down at his massive paws regretting his choice, and loving it the same. "I've never had a mate before...I'm not even sure what to do at this point...I know how to be an Alpha, a leader, a warrior a hunter...but a mate? let alone a father....there I am clueless..." he said aloud but then bit his tongue. That's what had made him a good Alpha for the pack...his worry of making a mistake. It allowed him to cover as many possibilities as he could think to keep wolves safe.

Quince chuckled at himself and shook his head, making his fur ripple in a blue color as he did so. "I'm sorry. You two do not need to be burdened with my own personal thoughts. You have your own duties and thoughts and that is enough. Is there anything that you wished to ask or speak of?" he said mainly addressing Lucifer, but also looking at Ava to let her know that if she had something personal to add that she could as well.

"I hope they are happy too. They seem to be opposites in some areas, and really like each other in other ways." Xylia said and allowed herself a deep yawn as Jin licked the top of her head. He was so caring, and so kind to her, she didn't know what it was like not to be loved because he erased every feeling of no love and hatred from her when they were like this.

"To think....her having pups..." The idea was somewhat humorous to her especially with Char's reaction earlier that day. Who knows? Maybe pups would soften the hardened she-wolf up a bit and allow her to be kind...kinder? Xylia didn't know what she was thinking at that moment for Jin was speaking again about her having to wait only a short time longer.

"I don't mind Jin...as long as we can have pups." She said and yawned once more before resettling her body alongside his, and her head on top of his forelegs. A content sigh was heard in echo to Jin's before she closed her eyes. "Rest well Jinjekkai...my Jinjekkai." And with those words, Xylia slipped into a light, but restful sleep.